DLC is getting out of hand.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ownejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ownejj
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

It is getting pretty ridiculous, some even saying there will be DLC before the actual game is released, i thought that DLC was for game fix ups, or for popular games in which the community of it wanted more content.

Now every new game is just coming with DLC. like CoD 6 we shouldn't have to pay for new maps, in CoD 4 we didn't.

So yeh there's the end of my rant on DLC,

CaptainSchwamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CaptainSchwamm
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
Yep, we buy half complete games, and then have to pay for DLC. You'd think the gaming companies already made enough money...
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

My favorite ia when people complain about this thing everyday all the time and yet they still buy DLC all the time. So who's fault is it really? That's the question you should be asking yourself. If you don't good for you I guess but don't complain about something if your going to contradict yourself.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

I can understand DLC in games which turned out more popular than the dev's expected like Borderlands. Call of Duty DLC is just mad, same with Assassins Creed 2. DLC should be an added bonus for those people who bought the game and were loyal to the company. Battlefield Bad CO 2 has a code so those people who bought the game new will be rewarded. I think they use expensive DLC to try to tie you to your game and not sell it on.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty ludicrous. I'm also concerned about what kind of impact it is going to have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road. I think everyone should just have the same version of a game. I don't like all of this unnecessary segmentation.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#6 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

thats hwy i dont buy DLC, i aint supporting it!

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I don't mind DLC, but I wouldn't be surprised is some game devs use it as an excuse to release a boring or incomplete game and charge even more money for DLC to make it decent, and I wouldn't agree with such practices. Especially if the DLC is poorly implemented like it is on Mass Effect 2 (on PC) and other games. In my opinion it's wrong to charge for DLC unless it adds something significantly new to the game that will keep you busy for at least a few hours, like a whole new episode or branch of missions or something.
Andreas2402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Andreas2402
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

Youre right, but as long as it sells, they will be made. Sure you can argue "but it was free 2 years ago", but many people play call of duty and hardly anything else and they dont care to pay 15 bucks additionally. Or they just love the game so much that they'd buy it for 99 bucks, standard version, with 4 additional maps included. See what I mean?

You dont have to pay it, you can support those who dont charge additionally, or you can play the older Call of Duty games or other genres. Its not the only game in the world..

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#9 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I have to agree that it's getting out of hand.
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts

DLC seemed like a good idea first but it sucks nowadays.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

valttu
It never sounded like a good idea. When MS announced it was going to have a "micro-transaction service" what they were really saying was "hey devs, come to our console, we've got a way that lets you nickle and dime your customers to death!"
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
[QUOTE="valttu"]

gameguy6700
It never sounded like a good idea. When MS announced it was going to have a "micro-transaction service" what they were really saying was "hey devs, come to our console, we've got a way that lets you nickle and dime your customers to death!"

Well I never heard that and I meant that I thought it seemed nice that I could download like "expansion packs" for my single player games, but it turned out to be nothing like that.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Company need to work on day one DLC so they knew the game can have DLC.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#14 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

There is so much wrong with this gen of gaming, I can only wonder what else they will rip us off with next. I haven't bought a DLC package since Gay Tony, which was well worth the money.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
DLC like Ballad of Gay tony or the extra Borderlands content was great, thats how DLC should be. Games like AssCreed 2 are examples of how DLC are done wrong, I felt so disgusted after seeing that they released a "complete version" of AC2, I mean, they just ripped off all the people that bought the previous versions with half-done version then....
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
DLC should be expansions or add-ons really. That's what they technically are, but some companies abuse them. Like for the new Mortal Kombat, they are already talking about DLC characters and fatalities. Why? Just have that in the game! Who plans expansions first? I only buy it if they're really good.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
It makes me laugh when I see people crying about the amount of DLC released, no one is forcing you to buy any DLC, if you don't like it ignore it and move on with your life, and let people who do enjoy getting DLC have there fill.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
its here to stay and its going to get bigger though. it sells by the bucket load on all platforms that have it and no amount of complaining is goign to stop it. all you can do is vote with your wallet and ignore it. if your buying it then your reinforcing publishers and devs to do more of it.
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts

My favorite ia when people complain about this thing everyday all the time and yet they still buy DLC all the time. So who's fault is it really? That's the question you should be asking yourself. If you don't good for you I guess but don't complain about something if your going to contradict yourself.

Foulcry
agree, either pay and don't complain or don't pay and complain your choice guys. I chose to not pay for DLCs
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

I agree, the current state of DLC, where it is planned before the game is even released, is ridiculous. The entire point of DLC was that it was something which could be added to the game after the full product arrived. These days, it seems we sometimesget a half-baked game and then have to pay extra to finish it. And furthermore, the idea of PDLC (Pre-Downloadable Content), which is put out before the game, is even more disturbing.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StopThePresses
It makes me laugh when I see people crying about the amount of DLC released, no one is forcing you to buy any DLC, if you don't like it ignore it and move on with your life, and let people who do enjoy getting DLC have there fill.spike6958
It makes me laugh when I see people that don't realize that they are deliberately leaving content out of games now that would have on older consoles been included with the game, just because now consoles are designed in such a way that they can. Enjoy paying a third of the price of a game for additional costumes, I guess. People like you are the reason they keep doing this ****.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44210 Posts
I really like dlc myself. I buy what I feel is worth it for me and so far it's worked out quite well for me.
Mrbojangles34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Mrbojangles34
Member since 2006 • 8918 Posts
The only DLC I've ever purchased have been Fallout, Oblivion, Dragon Age Awakenings, and I was fine with that Because well I already got 100s of hours out of those 3 put together, I feel satisfied with what they put out to begin with. But I definitely agree on most fronts that it is dumb. I don't like some of the things EA is doing. LIke for instance on Battlefield you can buy all of the unlocks for all of the classes and not have to work for them. That sucks. A lot. And another one they did was stat unlocks on NHL 10. Those bother me a lot. Cashing in on things that the player just has to play the game to get is stupid.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The first Crackdown is worse then anything they have done today. In the game they tell you of mini-mission that you need to pay to get and make a point of it while playing the game.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Meh, I don't care. I haven't purchased a game that felt incomplete or crappy without DLC and I've had fun with all of the DLC that I've purchased. If the DLC seems like it's worth it, I buy it; if it doesn't, I don't. Best of both worlds. All pro, no cons.
I'm also concerned about what kind of impact it is going to have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road.StopThePresses
The same thing that happens today: pop the disc in the machine and play it. You guys act like you can't get past the start menu in a modern game unless you buy the DLC.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I wont DLC anymore, they piling up my HDD for nothin', and I never got a chance to play. say like U2 and KZ2 maps, everytime I went online no one plays the new maps??!!
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StopThePresses
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"] The same thing that happens today: pop the disc in the machine and play it. You guys act like you can't get past the start menu in a modern game unless you buy the DLC.

DLC is part of the game. Why do people insist on acting daft just to make irrelevant arguments? I wasn't talking about the part of the game that is not DLC. I guess that was too obvious.
MW2ISAWSOME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MW2ISAWSOME
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts

No they aren't I want more map packs for MW2!

BSte2952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 BSte2952
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

To me, it really depends on how devs use it. Yes, many have abused it to get you to pay for content that should've been free or as an excuse to release an incomplete game.

There are some who use it in a good way like BioWare. Everyone else however....

Remember back in the day, where you bought an game and knew you got the whole game? No liscense agreements, no DLC crap.

Makes me feel as though devs last gen poured their heart and soul into a game because once it goes to the manufacturing process that's it. Better have no regrets.

Remember back in the day when controllers have wires? Yeah, they got in the way, but you didn't have had to worry about the battery life in your controller. "Controller 1 has a low battery." Ugh.

georgeww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 georgeww
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts

i agree with more people so far. when i first got my 360 i thought most dlc where post relese patches to fix problems.

if it adds a couple hours of game it may be worth a few dollars. developers should see it DLC as a way to get people to buy the game(full retail version), not make it to make a quick few dollars. i dont mind downloading patchs for games on PC and it helps fix small probs . they should do it on consoles as well, every one is going round saying COD:MW2 is all glichy for the money the company made. a simple free patch to fix it up wold mot be too much to ask !!!! every one planing MW2 (in general) will be playing multi so fix it , dam it. fix it!!! i have ranbow 6: 2 for pc its on like versionn 1.26 i dont care, internet is free!! a good game is $100 and if it becomes bad because stuff needs fixing it should be fixed by the developers !!!

sorry for the rant, but the big games are worth millions a few hours reading post and re playing the game with the design team wont hert.

dont be scaredDevelopers i dont mind patching

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

thats hwy i dont buy DLC, i aint supporting it!

The_Gaming_Baby
me neither bro!
Andreas2402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Andreas2402
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

I totally agree with you, I havent bought any digital DLC so far, instead, I waited for the addons of GTA IV to be released on a physical basis. I'll also buy the Borderlands DLC on the disc and not digitally. Concerning Dragon Age, I'll only buy any DLC if it gets released on disc, too. I hate all this EA-account crap and having to be online to download it. I'll also buy the Fallout 3 GOTY with the DLC on it. And that's almost all that is interesting since most of the DLC like AC 2, Mass Effect and all the others are a rip off in my opinion. But I understand that fans need to have everything of it.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I only buy my games if the initial game is worth it and I won't touch dlc unless the game really impressed me (I picked up every bit of mass effect dlc for both games, and all the Resi 5 stuff for example). I notice they seem to target online multiplayer more with maps and stuff, luckily I prefer my multiplayer on pc.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Senor_Kami
[QUOTE="StopThePresses"][QUOTE="Senor_Kami"] The same thing that happens today: pop the disc in the machine and play it. You guys act like you can't get past the start menu in a modern game unless you buy the DLC.

DLC is part of the game. Why do people insist on acting daft just to make irrelevant arguments? I wasn't talking about the part of the game that is not DLC. I guess that was too obvious.

Who's acting daft? You said that future people won't be able to play current gen games because of DLC. I don't see how that would be the case at all considering that you can always play a game without buying the DLC and it's highly unlikely that in the future a patch will be released that requires someone to buy all DLC or they can't play the game.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StopThePresses
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="StopThePresses"][QUOTE="Senor_Kami"] The same thing that happens today: pop the disc in the machine and play it. You guys act like you can't get past the start menu in a modern game unless you buy the DLC.

Who's acting daft? You said that future people won't be able to play current gen games because of DLC.

I don't see the part where I said that. That is something you incorrectly somehow assumed I meant, and you are still insisting upon it, even though I have now explicitly pointed out that your assumption was incorrect.
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]Yeah, it's pretty ludicrous. I'm also concerned about what kind of impact it is going to have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road. I think everyone should just have the same version of a game. I don't like all of this unnecessary segmentation.

this.
sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts
It makes me laugh when I see people crying about the amount of DLC released, no one is forcing you to buy any DLC, if you don't like it ignore it and move on with your life, and let people who do enjoy getting DLC have there fill.spike6958
People complain because its content that could easily be included in the game in the first place but is intentionally left out so they can charge you extra later. Games never used to be like that up until this gen. So were getting less game for more money...that's why people complain.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#38 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think that DLC definitely has the potential to get out of hand, especially when the game developer makes the ending of a game a cliffhanger and then releases new episodes via DLC. It can just be a way for developers to get more money out of you. The game can end up, in the long run, costing 100 dollars instead of the original price tag of 60 dollars.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Get used to it, because we have only seen the beginning of DLC and microtransactions... what you've witnessed to date is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg...
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Senor_Kami

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]Who's acting daft? You said that future people won't be able to play current gen games because of DLC. StopThePresses
I don't see the part where I said that. That is something you incorrectly somehow assumed I meant, and you are still insisting upon it, even though I have now explicitly pointed out that your assumption was incorrect.

I'm also concerned about what kind of impact it is going to have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road.StopThePresses
What is the impact it will have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road? They can still play the game and enjoy it the same as people can today.

Dudewrsmygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dudewrsmygame
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I've always hated DLC and i 've posted my hatred towards it.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Its basically just a way to up game prices to $75+ without actually having that price tag in stores. The only time I really feel DLCs are appropriate or welcome is with RPGS, and only ones that don't feel like they were intentionally withheld from the game to use as a later money maker.

Nightfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nightfall31
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts
If the content is quality, then why not add onto the original game? We as gamers and consumers, have an OPTION to purchase it or not. In the case of Dragon Age, the extra content is epic...EPIC. Most of us gamers that are fans of that are happy that there is extra content for the game. And if the developer can make extra money out of the deal, then its a win win. Its all about perception. Remember, you have the option of saying no by not buying....
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I've basically stopped buying all DLC. I'll buy worthwhile expansions for a PC game, but otherwise no way. A game just isn't worth 100$ of my money.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StopThePresses

What is the impact it will have on people who want to play some of today's games years down the road? They can still play the game and enjoy it the same as people can today.

Senor_Kami

I already spelled out what I meant for you. What more do you want? If something is on Steam, you'll probably be able to legally get the DLC ten or twenty years from now and it won't be much of an issue. If it's on a console, it very likely will be. For games with content exclusive to preorders and things like that, it is always an issue, though maybe a small one in that case.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StopThePresses
There is another issue I have with this stuff, and that is the question of whether it becomes illegal to mod a game to do stuff similar to what the DLC would do. (I mean in cases where DLC adds things like additional storage space or more powerful weapons or something that would be relaitvely trivial and not necessarily depend on unique new creative assets in any siginficant way.) If it is legal, then what is the point of that kind of DLC, and if it is illegal, then that just sucks. For example, there are simple mods that give one a much larger stash in Diablo II. (Not for characters stored on battle.net, obviously). If Blizzard had released DLC that did the same thing, would such user created mods then be illegal?