DJ Hero is a retail mega-failure

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts
In the UK at least. Sales for other regions aren't in yet. Activision were hoping it'd be in the top five - it ended up coming in at 20 on the charts. When that's your debut, you know things aren't going to go well. Elsewhere, sales of music games are down, according to Activision. Everyone seemed to see that coming a mile off other than Activision themselves. We're on Guitar Hero 5 already, and it still feels like a pretty new franchise. Then there's the multiple spin-offs; greatest hits, rock the 80s, aerosmith, metallica, on tour. They've probably released over a dozen iterations of the game in three or four years. They've saturated one of the most lucrative markets before it really got a chance to get going. Shame, really.
92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
I gotta agree here. i think the music game market has already been killed. GH, Rock Band, etc and all the spin offs too like singstar, all the various editions of everything isn't helping either. And I'm not suprised to see the full band kits just sitting around either. i think most people that are interested in these games already have their instrument controllers. As for DJ hero, I honestly think that is a more limited segment to begin with. I think way more people could get into the drums, singing, guitar and bass than spinning a turntable.
Avatar image for 1conradthegreat
1conradthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 1conradthegreat
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

well yeah its a failure - probaly becaise of the high price but maybe this will make the price go down quicker

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Wait until the Christmas rush. We'll know by then.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Just remember guitar hero was not an instant hit either,give it time,I think the play is different enough to distinguish it from the music game saturation.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Looks too hard, as I know nothing about DJ'ing. Plus, it costs too much. I thought it would do a lot better in the UK than the US, because man... those Brits sure love 140 BMP. (I missed American music so much when I visited.) Everywhere you go there's house music. So yeah, if it bombed in the UK, then that doesn't bode well for the game.
92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
Looks too hard, as I know nothing about DJ'ing. Plus, it costs too much. I thought it would do a lot better in the UK than the US, because man... those Brits sure love 140 BMP. (I missed American music so much when I visited.) Everywhere you go there's house music. So yeah, if it bombed in the UK, then that doesn't bode well for the game.donalbane
I agree with this statement too. That genre just isn't that big here. I mean looking at the review in game Informer and reading the song list, i didn't recognize any of the DJ names. I just really don't see this game doing well here
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Just remember guitar hero was not an instant hit either,give it time,I think the play is different enough to distinguish it from the music game saturation.mattykovax

Yeah, I think by the time Guitar Hero 3 came out, the franchise had become pretty well established and successful all around, so it's possible to see the same thing happen for DJ Hero. If there's anything that's hurting it right now, it's that $120 price tag that will turn people away. I can't imagine Activision expecting the game to do as well as the Guitar Hero franchise, but these gaming peripherals have really become too expensive, especially when you compare a few years back when Guitar Hero was $70 for the game and Guitar

It's probably too early to claim whether this game is a bomb or not, but I'll be curious to see how this turns out during the holidays.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

People don't exactly know what to expect from this so things should be slow at first. It will all come down to word of mouth eventually and then we'll see hoe it does. Also guitar is a much easier concept to grasp.

Avatar image for imthemostwanted
imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 imthemostwanted
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts

I gotta agree here. i think the music game market has already been killed. GH, Rock Band, etc and all the spin offs too like singstar, all the various editions of everything isn't helping either. And I'm not suprised to see the full band kits just sitting around either. i think most people that are interested in these games already have their instrument controllers. As for DJ hero, I honestly think that is a more limited segment to begin with. I think way more people could get into the drums, singing, guitar and bass than spinning a turntable.92GreenYJ

well since the original singstar was out before the first guitar hero, it's not a spin-off

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Yeah, this definitely seems like one of those Christmas gifts. So, I'd wait til then.

Though, if it does fail, it's quite a shame. I know people hated on the game because Activision has it's name on it, but it's not half-bad.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
It seems like one of those, "I'd love to try it , but I dont wanna spend 120" kind of things.
Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
I've heard it's pretty good. As someone said earlier, word of mouth will most likely be a factor in the future.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I got it for 50$ at Gamestop. Really fun but I wouldn't have bought it for 120$ now either. Seems quite a much.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
It seems like one of those, "I'd love to try it , but I dont wanna spend 120" kind of things.Allicrombie
Exactly. It's hard to justify getting one game and a mixer instead of two brand new games without trying it first.