Did they stop PS2 games entirely?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 WorldDman97
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts
I haven't seen anything new, i know that there are a few though...
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

By this point, I'd be surprised if they were releasing anything other than sports games. Haven't personally checked in a very long time though.

mm551144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mm551144
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts

Yeah, only sports games now. Check it here.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

mm551144

That's lame. It's sad to the PS2 nearing the end. :( The best console of all time is just about finished. Before ya know it, they'll be taking PS2 games off of store shelves to make room for PS4 games.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 3KindgomsRandy

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

GeoffZak

That's lame. It's sad to the PS2 nearing the end. :( The best console of all time is just about finished. Before ya know it, they'll be taking PS2 games off of store shelves to make room for PS4 games.

I haven't seen a PS2 game on an actual shelf for over a year now andI can't think of a game store in my area that doesn't already have them in the bargain bin. All the stores have been in full dump mode for a long time now.

Mr-Espresso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr-Espresso
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

Seems like the PS2 is just used for Sports Games and certain Japanese exclusives. I don't think we can complain after the run it has had, its without a doubt one of the most well used consoles in history.

WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WorldDman97
Well that sucks... really bad
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

3KindgomsRandy

I haven't seen a PS2 game on an actual shelf for over a year now andI can't think of a game store in my area that doesn't already have them in the bargain bin. All the stores have been in full dump mode for a long time now.

same, the only PS2 games Ive seen in any shop is in bargain bins and preowned sections. it happens to every system, for instance the PS1 was still alive in 2003-2004, but it was mostly just sports games.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pegalamp
Member since 2011 • 600 Posts
[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

I disagree, excluding games the console itself was a piece of steamed poo.
WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WorldDman97
[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

The Ps2 was a really good console I mean the cheap games are cool and there are some good games but im looking at getting a 360 soon but keeping PS2.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

3KindgomsRandy

We've been slower to dump them up here in Canada.

They're getting dumped now, but up until the last month or two many stores still had a fair amount of PS2 games up on the shelves.

What a great run though, thanks for the great times PS2!

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 3KindgomsRandy

[QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

TheKungFool

We've been slower to dump them up here in Canada.

They're getting dumped now, but up until the last month or two many stores still had a fair amount of PS2 games up on the shelves.

What a great run though, thanks for the great times PS2!

Absolutely!

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="mm551144"]

Pegalamp

Heh... Y'know, whenever I read the forums, I tend to take it all with a grain of salt. I think about what the post is saying and if I agree or disagree... And I gotta say, you're right.

:lol:

I've got several consoles dating back many years now, and I don't see nearly the rate of simple hardware failure that I experienced with the PS2 across it's lifespan into these twilight years. That being said, I really enjoy the games on the system, and the controller, and all of the good things about the PS2. I have a brand-new one in a box, ready to step in when my old one (now gotta be the fifth I've owned) takes a dive. It's already starting to hiccup on certain workloads and the sound will skip, etc. But there are a few games on the system which I really don't want to go into the forseeable future without being able to play, so I gotta have one because Sony stopped their BC on current gen. A huge fail, I digress.

But the PS2 really is a complete pile of pony-loaf when it comes down to quality of hardware. No doubt. My Genesis? Rockin'. SNES? Fine. DreamCast? Rarin' ta go. GameCube? Not a scratch, chuggin' away. Xbox? Well, my Xbox has issues, but don't we all? I got it used. Yet I've managed to burn through about four or five PS2s from the fats to the slims. And it's not for amount of gametime given per console, they've all been hours of wasted life. Yet the PS2 dries up and rattles apart. Some of us love them, fault-ridden though they may be. Thanks for the laugh!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ya sony got lucky, .. gamecube should have won last gen , as wii did now,

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

ya sony got lucky, .. gamecube should have won last gen , as wii did now,

mariokart64fan

Why is that? The PS2 had the best games last gen.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I think they have unfortunately. Sad knowing that the greatest console ever created has officially been retired :(

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

if target and walmart dont have any Ps2 games, then you can pretty much say they're done. The last releases I saw at target were ports. either ports that were really rushed or just psp games put on a dvd.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#18 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

It sucks that games for it ae no more developed. The PS2 was the best console in history. It was the one that defined gaming.

AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't think the PS2 is the best console ever? :( Don't get me wrong, it's a good system (Jak and Daxter 1 ftw!!!), I'm just more of a Nintendo kind of guy, lol :P Anyways, rest in peace, PS2!
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkman2007
Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't think the PS2 is the best console ever? :( Don't get me wrong, it's a good system (Jak and Daxter 1 ftw!!!), I'm just more of a Nintendo kind of guy, lol :P Anyways, rest in peace, PS2!AwesomeKenny
youre not the only one, I prefered the PS1. PS2s pretty close though.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't think the PS2 is the best console ever? :( Don't get me wrong, it's a good system (Jak and Daxter 1 ftw!!!), I'm just more of a Nintendo kind of guy, lol :P Anyways, rest in peace, PS2!AwesomeKenny

hard to say for me

games like ico and shadow of the colosussus I consider in the top 5 games ever made, which beats out ANY psx game I ever played. still I enjoyed many more ps1 games than ps2 games so I'd say ps1 wins narrowly. same with saturn and dreamcast. dreamcast has the best videogame ever made shenmue 2 and more obviously but most of my top ten best games are on saturn and therefore I consider it to be better,

WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WorldDman97
Well I mean it could just be me but Ive had the PS2 since it came out I really didn't see the need for an Xbox or a 360, but I'm going to have to get a 360 soon technically it performs better and that's the newest platform with the best games (opinion) But it'll all come to an end one day XD
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Since noones stated the obvious- why would anyone make games for PS2 when PS3 is already like 5 years old??? If you want new games then I think its time to upgrade.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Gamecube has notoriously bad disc read errors ... im on my 5th now. Im only on my second PS2 and the original still reads games just fine, its just got some issues and I dont want to completely lose it. Ive noticed that by keeping them in dust free environments they do really well. We still have a small selection of games here in Saint Louis but its primarily in the bargain bin areas etc. No real games being made anymore so they are all discount by now.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

My favorite console of last gen would be the GameCube. I love the PS2, but I had the most unique, memorable experiences on games I got for the 'cube ("Eternal Darkness", "Metroid Prime", "Super MonkeyBall", "Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee", "Star Wars Rougue Squadron III", "Resident Evil REmake", "RE: Zero" etc etc). Even multi-platform titles like "Metal Arms: Glitch in the System" which was AMAZING on the GC for it's SP and four-player MP. My friends and I still talk about that game in the same sentence as "GoldenEye" on the N64 for it's MP entertainment value alone... "Simpsons Hit 'n' Run", "Soul Calibur II", "BTVS: Chaos Bleeds", The "X-Men Legends" games were all best when played on the GC.

I have a big library of PS2 titles, but not too many which stick out with the distinction of the games above.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
I remember another jak game after they said that ps2 was dead, try searching for that game.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="AwesomeKenny"]Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't think the PS2 is the best console ever? :( Don't get me wrong, it's a good system (Jak and Daxter 1 ftw!!!), I'm just more of a Nintendo kind of guy, lol :P Anyways, rest in peace, PS2!bultje112

hard to say for me

games like ico and shadow of the colosussus I consider in the top 5 games ever made, which beats out ANY psx game I ever played. still I enjoyed many more ps1 games than ps2 games so I'd say ps1 wins narrowly. same with saturn and dreamcast. dreamcast has the best videogame ever made shenmue 2 and more obviously but most of my top ten best games are on saturn and therefore I consider it to be better,

I have to say I liked the PS1 a little bit more than the PS2. Both are in my top 5 favorite consoles of all, but some of the original PS1 titles weren't continued all that well on the PS2 like Spyro for example.
WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WorldDman97
[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="AwesomeKenny"]Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't think the PS2 is the best console ever? :( Don't get me wrong, it's a good system (Jak and Daxter 1 ftw!!!), I'm just more of a Nintendo kind of guy, lol :P Anyways, rest in peace, PS2!amari24

hard to say for me

I have to say I liked the PS1 a little bit more than the PS2. Both are in my top 5 favorite consoles of all, but some of the original PS1 titles weren't continued all that well on the PS2 like Spyro for example.

werent ps1 games compatable with the ps2 though?
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Gamecube has notoriously bad disc read errors ... im on my 5th now. Im only on my second PS2 and the original still reads games just fine, its just got some issues and I dont want to completely lose it. Ive noticed that by keeping them in dust free environments they do really well. We still have a small selection of games here in Saint Louis but its primarily in the bargain bin areas etc. No real games being made anymore so they are all discount by now.ColdfireTrilogy

What? I've never heard of anyone having a GC disc read error, out of a dozen or so people I know owning one, and I've personally owned one since launch (or close to launch) and never had any sort of issue.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 amari24

[QUOTE="amari24"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

hard to say for me

WorldDman97

Yes but I'm saying, some of the games that were on the PS1 like Spyro, got terrible sequels on the PS2. The PS2 Spyro games aren't anywhere near as good as the ones on the PS1. So therefore, I prefer some of the PS1 counterparts, and that's mostly why I like the PS1 a little bit more. The PS2 is a really good console, also one of my favorites.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
It sure had a good run lasting this long. but yes I would imagine sony's finally put it to rest now that the ps3's picked up some momentum
I guess for most people it's the sheer number of ps2 games and the fact that a lot of them are still readily available that makes them like it so much. But yeah other consoles had some quality games that the ps2 never saw, as far as quality of games go any console's a contender
RaIn285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RaIn285
Member since 2010 • 3010 Posts

Ah Ps2,so many great memories.But nothing is endless 11 years life cycle is pretty good for a console,considering Xbox and Gamecube were disbanded in 2006.And they still made great Ps2 games in 2008,but it`s not profitable anymore.

WorldDman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WorldDman97

[QUOTE="WorldDman97"][QUOTE="amari24"] I have to say I liked the PS1 a little bit more than the PS2. Both are in my top 5 favorite consoles of all, but some of the original PS1 titles weren't continued all that well on the PS2 like Spyro for example. amari24

Yes but I'm saying, some of the games that were on the PS1 like Spyro, got terrible sequels on the PS2. The PS2 Spyro games aren't anywhere near as good as the ones on the PS1. So therefore, I prefer some of the PS1 counterparts, and that's mostly why I like the PS1 a little bit more. The PS2 is a really good console, also one of my favorites.

hmmm I see what you mean now
Vlashkgbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vlashkgbr
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts

. Yet I've managed to burn through about four or five PS2s from the fats to the slims. And it's not for amount of gametime given per console, they've all been hours of wasted life. Yet the PS2 dries up and rattles apart. Some of us love them, fault-ridden though they may be. Thanks for the laugh!

MonkeySpot

I think there must be a serious issue with you as a user or your room or you are simply cursed, I've had my Fat PS2 for a good 9 years now and it's working perfectly fine, I even have it modded to boot, I can turn on my PS2 right now, put on a game and start playing right away, with no issues whatsoever...

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

. Yet I've managed to burn through about four or five PS2s from the fats to the slims. And it's not for amount of gametime given per console, they've all been hours of wasted life. Yet the PS2 dries up and rattles apart. Some of us love them, fault-ridden though they may be. Thanks for the laugh!

Vlashkgbr

I think there must be a serious issue with you as a user or your room or you are simply cursed, I've had my Fat PS2 for a good 9 years now and it's working perfectly fine, I even have it modded to boot, I can turn on my PS2 right now, put on a game and start playing right away, with no issues whatsoever...

I'm a 25 year professional sound engineer who takes immaculate care of all electronics and software media, so I'm going to claim that it's through no mistreatment on my part.

;)

The lasers crapped out or the travel for said device. Pure and simple. PS2s were never made as solid as any of the other consoles of that gen. I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

I'm a 25 year professional sound engineer who takes immaculate care of all electronics and software media, so I'm going to claim that it's through no mistreatment on my part.

;)

The lasers crapped out or the travel for said device. Pure and simple. PS2s were never made as solid as any of the other consoles of that gen. I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

Ive had 3 PS2s break on me, its quite insane, and I take care of my games consoles (fact is, none of them have died out or had big issues reading games)
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 amari24
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

Darkman2007

;)

Ive had 3 PS2s break on me, its quite insane, and I take care of my games consoles (fact is, none of them have died out or had big issues reading games)

Nope, you're not the only one, I'm actually in the same boat. My PS2 Fat completely failed on me three times, all with disc-read errors. The PS2 is honestly the only system I've had problems reading games for. Overall, I was quite disappointed in the durability of the PS2, considering the later PS1's were built so great.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

;)

amari24

Nope, you're not the only one, I'm actually in the same boat. My PS2 Fat completely failed on me three times, all with disc-read errors. The PS2 is honestly the only system I've had problems reading games for. Overall, I was quite disappointed in the durability of the PS2, considering the later PS1's were built so great.

it actually made me wonder. I know alot of people bought another PS2 simply because their old one was broken , the reason being was that Sony (at least here) were charging £150 for repairs. which wasn't that much less than a new PS2.

made me wonder how much of the PS2's 120 million units sold were really just the same people buying another PS2

the early PS1s had an issue with the laser being built from cheap parts (the tray was made of cheap plastic) which caused the lasers to dislodge eventually.

its quite surprising given that Sony usually makes quality electronics (at least from my experience)

insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts

I think what's sad for me is how imperious the PS2 was and now it's just coughing up the ritual FIFA titles. I felt the same when the PSOne bit the dust. Not sure the PS3 will have the same effect on me, though.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="amari24"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Ive had 3 PS2s break on me, its quite insane, and I take care of my games consoles (fact is, none of them have died out or had big issues reading games)Darkman2007

it actually made me wonder. I know alot of people bought another PS2 simply because their old one was broken , the reason being was that Sony (at least here) were charging £150 for repairs. which wasn't that much less than a new PS2.

made me wonder how much of the PS2's 120 million units sold were really just the same people buying another PS2. The early PS1s had an issue with the laser being built from cheap parts (the tray was made of cheap plastic) which caused the lasers to dislodge eventually.

its quite surprising given that Sony usually makes quality electronics (at least from my experience)

Yes, that would be the reasoning, based on Sony taking the console for a possible six weeks of turn-around, and charging about $25 less than a brand-new one here, too. Let's see. $25 savings times six weeks of not gaming on a PS2, not playing with my friends online ...

... Yeah. Just give me the new one and let me get on with my life.

:lol:

I hadn't had any trouble with Sony electronics prior to the PS2. But that console sure was dainty, look at it wrong, and the laser would start to fizzle.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

It seems that way. It's hard to believe that ps2 is pretty much dead, but it had a nice long cycle.

coltard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 coltard
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i miss the days when games werent soley focused on line an cared more about the SP :(
Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

XBOX > Dreamcast > Gamecube > PS2

Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

Dude you are still in last gen, move on.