Developer claims Used games are killing off single player games

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

Concerning Gamestop trying to sell used games, I have had that happen to me only once.

I went to buy Assassin's Creed, placed the empty new copy box on the counter, and the clerk suggested I buy a used copy. She said that many people had returned the game because it did not meet their expectations. She said the she, personally, enjoyed the game, but that I might want to consider buying it used incase it did not meet my expectations.

I actually appreciated the fact that she did this. Yes, GS benefits from selling a game to me used, but I also benefit because the cost to me, and thus my risk, has been reduced.

On a related note, when people talk about how Gamestop "hurts" developers by selling used games, does anyone think about the developers who make mediocre games? Mediocre games that sit on GS's shelves, going unsold, wasting valuable space? Games that they eventually have to sell at a discount, or possibly a loss?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe GS and the secondary market need to monitor sales of used games by publisher and kick back a small percentage. I do know that if I were Gamestop though I would start considering something like that. Robio_basic

The whole reason why stores do the used games sales is because the returns they get from new hardware/game sales is so minimal that they can't sustain themselves as stores without resorting to getting income through other means. Larger stores get away with having other departments with higher returns, but places like Gamestop have to resort to using used games as a primary means of making profit.

Had the publisher sold the games at a lower value to the retailers to begin with, perhaps the retailers wouldn't have had to rely as hard on used games to make ends meet early on before it became as central as it did now.

I don't think that GS, or any secondary market retailer, should feel that it owes any financial obligation to the original manufacturer for selling a product off to another consumer. No other secondary market retailer does this, so why should we make games an exception? Especially given how the game industry is reaching a point where it's beating out other enertainment mediums in profits?

Publishers and Developers need to either be willing to accpet that secondary sales and rentals are a factor, and adjust budgets/expectations accordingly for certain titles, or use other measures to get consumers interested in their products.

WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

^Retailers get $12 for a new $60 console game, sometimes more, when extra is thrown in for marketing. That is 20%, which is actually fairly decent. I have worked in the auto and food industry where percentages were much. much lower. So really, GS isn't doing that bad on new games.

Regardless, I agree that all the hate being thrown at GS for selling used games is puzzling. When have you ever heard an auto company exec whine about the used car market?

kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts

It seems like it would lead this way. Whenever a short singleplayer game comes out a lot of people rent.

How many people rented Dead Space? I know alot of people who did. But I loved the game and voted with my wallet and bought it.

I hope they make a sequel.

e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
People do the same crap at walmart and last time I checked they have no problem with their financial numbers. You can literally buy abunch of food, eat it and take it back and say ohh it tasted bad and just have the wrappers and they will give you a 100% refund. So it's not like buying something using it and returning it is anything new.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I buy about 75% of my games used and sleep like damn baby at night. Sorry, but im not a multi billion dollar corporation, I can use the saved money a lot more than them. If a really good game comes along I pick it up new because I can't wait for it, but a lot of games ill wait till next year and get them used for half the price. And all you guys whining that people like me are killing the industry need to grow up and move out on your own. See what its like to support your own place and bills then we'll talk.GodModeEnabled

Amen, I'm sick and tired of dishing out 60$ for a 6 hour game so I've always tried to buy games used if they aren't all scratched up since most game are around $10-$40 used I dont feel as much ripped off if I dislike a game.

Its not our fault for killing off SP games its pirates (people who sell games Illegally) and yes I'm gonna say this video game reviewers.Why did I say video game reviewers? a lot of people go by the score of reviews for games so they have an idea on what to buy it or pass and lately a lot of reviewers from all kinds of sites are giving most games a so so score.

I'm also gonna say its the devs/publishers fault too since it seems the past few years they've neglected beta testing games to make sure they are bug free which has killed or almost killed a lot of games.

Thevenin167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Thevenin167
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts
I keep my classics and sell the ones that do not inpress me, for example iam keeping dead space and selling farcry 2.
screenhustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 screenhustla
Member since 2006 • 659 Posts
If developers stop making half-ass games and start making games people would like to continue to play then maybe we would buy new
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

I dont think its farfectched at all.

Thats one of the many reasons that many companies want to go with full Digital Distribution. It will eventually happen. DD is far too convenient to not let it become the norm.

gunswordfist

That sounds terrible. I like to have my physical copy of the game.

Your "physical copy" is nothing but a bunch of data. A hard drive is just as "physical".

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

Thats one of the many reasons that many companies want to go with full Digital Distribution. It will eventually happen. DD is far too convenient to not let it become the norm.

Oilers99

Your "physical copy" is nothing but a bunch of data. A hard drive is just as "physical".

If you keep saying "physical" I'll start getting imagery of Olivia Newton-John all over my head. o_0
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

SteelAttack

If you keep saying "physical" I'll start getting imagery of Olivia Newton-John all over my head. o_0

Just imagine me saying it with "sarcasm fingers". :P

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"][QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

Oilers99

Just imagine me saying it with "sarcasm fingers". :P

And a leotard as well? :P

Let's get physical, physical...

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#63 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

Oilers99

ah, good point. didn't think of it like that. though it's probably more to do with having a nice box, cover art and stuff. though game boxes aren't great these days, and box art is generally bad. people who own an 360 are the only ones who get really nice limited edition tins and stuff.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

i think this debate is actually a product of a larger issue: rising game costs. gaming has been going along fine with rentals and used games for ages. it is only now that there is such increased risk in making a game, due to the insane costs and relatively low chance of being a true success, that this issue has come on so strongly. maybe if developers focused more on how to make development less of a financial burden, they wouldnt care so much about used games.

cost of development is the true biggest threat to our hobby.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I must be the minority that likes Singleplayer games more then those massive online games.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
Why is it I never hear any other kind of company complain about people buying their products that happen to be used? They are usually happy they are buying their product at all.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#67 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well if they would make single player games that lasted longer than 10-15 hours I'd be on their side. If I pay $60.00 and can finish a game in 10 hours I'm getting ripped off. And I always play on the hardest setting. So I do turn around and trade in quick games for others while they still have some value.