Describe one good and bad element to the current game you're playing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

By element I mean, feature or something that you enjoyed or disliked about the current game your playing at the moment.

I'm currently playing Advance Wars Dual Strike and I love the game play. For a SRPG, it has a wide array of units that have their own uses. It's just fun commanding infantry, tanks, aircraft, and naval units to form one huge joint army to annihilate the enemy.

One thing I dislike is how cheap CO powers can be at times. Certain COs have such overpowered abilities that one use of their ability can make or break the battle.

How about you?

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Tales of Symphonia-the battle system is lots of fun, but I really don't like Colette, she annoys the hell out of me :P

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheSacredFlame

Tales of Symphonia-the battle system is lots of fun, but I really don't like Colette, she annoys the hell out of me :P

bowserjr123

I love Tales of Symphonia!

The main thing I dislike is the camera when you're trying to play with more than one person. It always focuses on player one instead of panning out to allow everybody else playing the game to see what their character is doing. Other than that it's an amazing game.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bowserjr123

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

TheSacredFlame

I love Tales of Symphonia!

The main thing I dislike is the camera when you're trying to play with more than one person. It always focuses on player one instead of panning out to allow everybody else playing the game to see what their character is doing. Other than that it's an amazing game.

I haven't played multiplayer so I can't attest to that. But yeah it's a really good game, 9/10 in my book. I'm getting close to beating it and it'll suck to be done with it lol

EDIT: And I love Advance Wars DS by the way, I've put about 150 hours into it lol

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheSacredFlame

I haven't played multiplayer so I can't attest to that. But yeah it's a really good game, 9/10 in my book. I'm getting close to beating it and it'll suck to be done with it lol

EDIT: And I love Advance Wars DS by the way, I've put about 150 hours into it lol

bowserjr123

Well, I need to play it again for another assessment, but I would score it a 9/10.

I think I placed around 80 hours into Advance Wars, but that's a rough estimate. :?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I'm currently playing two current gen games, Pokemon Heart Gold and Dark Souls

I love Heart Gold because, well, it's pokemon. Yet at the same time, it's an exhausted and predictable formulathat has been used in every pokemon gen.

Dark Souls is really amazing, however it is probably the most unforgiving games in terms of your decisions you make throughout the game, which at times can be more stressful than anything.

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheSacredFlame

I'm currently playing two current gen games, Pokemon Heart Gold and Dark Souls

I love Heart Gold because, well, it's pokemon. Yet at the same time, it's an exhausted and predictable formulathat has been used in every pokemon gen.

Dark Souls is really amazing, however it is probably the most unforgiving games in terms of your decisions you make throughout the game, which at times can be more stressful than anything.

Shenmue_Jehuty

I would love to play Heart Gold, but I don't have the money to buy it at the moment (d**n SAT's and college planning). I would agree with your statement about the formula since I am writing a review of the very first gen.

How is Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls?

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Link to The Past. I really love the dungeons and bosses. What I don't like is I am trying to do it with as little help as possible and there is a lot of hidden stuff that makes the game a lot easier and are necessary to have in order to beat the game. But I had no clue where the flippers were located and I've gotten stuck on one very smart part of a dungeon. Fun but also frustrating at times.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

been replaying Zelda:Ocarina of Time this week.

The Good: love that its so deep and complex, with lots of extra and side-stuff to do and find.

The Bad: forgot how horrible the controls were, especially that you can't rotate the camera as you'd like, and that instead of having a jump button you actually control, you just auto-jump off ledges, even when you don't want to

Intense00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Intense00
Member since 2012 • 51 Posts

just cause 2 randomness is both it's strenghts and cause of frustration

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Good element: the Tales-style combat is really fun.

Bad element: the storytelling is waaaaaay too slow.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

King's Quest 2 and 3

the good - fairly interesting story

the bad - quite archaic and basic (not surprising given these games are from 1985 and 86)

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Of course, i could't name one game but one Resident evil game.

Nemesis,

good, suspense

bad, maybe one unique route

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
Dragons quest IX The good - classic turn based RPG stuff The Bad - my daughter deleted my game save, so I am replaying the first 10 hours
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delay
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angryfodder
haha - I thought about reviewing some retro games on my blog - but I don't know how I'd be able to do it ignoring the fact of well, games today. What has been played cannot be unplayed, and I can't just put myself in the shoes of x amount of years ago.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="rilpas"]Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delay

Im assuming by review, you mean your blog. a suggestion by me would be to put the link to your blog, either in your signiture or on your "about me" page. just a suggestion , but it would help attract people to it (especially given the fact Ive forgotten the address :P )
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#18 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Link to The Past. I really love the dungeons and bosses. What I don't like is I am trying to do it with as little help as possible and there is a lot of hidden stuff that makes the game a lot easier and are necessary to have in order to beat the game. But I had no clue where the flippers were located and I've gotten stuck on one very smart part of a dungeon. Fun but also frustrating at times. Swanogt19

Every Zelda game since the first seems to have some item or something in some basically random location with no in-game hints that you need to find in order to progress. I call these situations in any adventure type games "Zelda moments."

The game I am playing right now is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I absolutely love the weapons system and the strategy. I love the perma-death of characters even though it's pretty easy to have some characters die in a single turn since you forgot to check the movement range of every single enemy. The inventory system drives me nuts though. It is at the point where sometimes I will leave characters w/ inferior weapons just cause I don't want to dig through who has what and get them the right thing. Also, I feel like the sheer number of playable characters is a bit distracting.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 angryfodder

[QUOTE="rilpas"]Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delayDarkman2007
Im assuming by review, you mean your blog. a suggestion by me would be to put the link to your blog, either in your signiture or on your "about me" page. just a suggestion , but it would help attract people to it (especially given the fact Ive forgotten the address :P )

Yeah I agree with this bloke. I clicked onto you profile hoping to find a link to a retro review blog. Alas, there was nothing.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#20 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Front Mission 4 Good: Giant Robots Bad: Not enough money for lots of good part
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rilpas

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delayangryfodder

Yeah I agree with this bloke. I clicked onto you profile hoping to find a link to a retro review blog. Alas, there was nothing.

yeah, kinda silly I didn't do that earlier.

thank you for the sugestions everyone :)

TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheSacredFlame

been replaying Zelda:Ocarina of Time this week.

The Good: love that its so deep and complex, with lots of extra and side-stuff to do and find.

The Bad: forgot how horrible the controls were, especially that you can't rotate the camera as you'd like, and that instead of having a jump button you actually control, you just auto-jump off ledges, even when you don't want to

TheKungFool

I've been playing that too and I'll agree with how horrible the controls are, but I would still say it's a great game.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Persona 4: Awesome game, sucks that you can't save in dungeons.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

bowserjr123

Collette is SOO annoying! Love ToS though and though a bit cheesy in areas and not entirely unique, I really enjoyed the story.

I am playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS right now. Anyone know if i can move my camera up and down when in the overworld? Or is tha not possible on the 3DS version?

Answer to the thread:

I am currently playing a few games and most I have not gotten far enough in yet. I guess I will go with Guild Wars 2

Good - The level design. Amazing world with unique and beautiful set pieces waiting to be explored.

Bad - quest design feels kinda repetitive and monotenous. Wish they had changed it up or went a tad more traditional.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Without spoiling my forthcoming review...

-

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter (PS2)

Good element: Excellent sniping - in both shooting and hiding.

Bad element: Annoying space battles.

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

Good - A really unique and interesting art style.

Bad - Combat feels bland and repetitive.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Fire Emblem (GBA): Overall challenging and like the set up of the game.

Saving during battles can be brutal if the battles are long.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

For me at the moment it's Kerbal Space Program

The good: imagination is the limit, it's amazing and i can't stop playing it :)

The Bad: i can't stop playing it :(

I have sooo many games to get through and i always end up on this,and its not really a game you finish :/

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

BF3 supression on snipers
won't let me get them drag shots while being ump spammed
sv98 agressive recon

Only 900spm atm, but I should be able to boost that to 1300 in a few weeks.

I avg about 2000spm per game now.

I like how everyone is terrible. The avg BF3 player has like 300ms reaction times lol

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="rilpas"]Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delay

Why would you even bother playing quake on a console? You need mouse and keyboard for that game, and ideal with a 120hz monitor if you want to play it precisely.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bowserjr123

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

NaveedLife

Collette is SOO annoying! Love ToS though and though a bit cheesy in areas and not entirely unique, I really enjoyed the story.

I am playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS right now. Anyone know if i can move my camera up and down when in the overworld? Or is tha not possible on the 3DS version?

Answer to the thread:

I am currently playing a few games and most I have not gotten far enough in yet. I guess I will go with Guild Wars 2

Good - The level design. Amazing world with unique and beautiful set pieces waiting to be explored.

Bad - quest design feels kinda repetitive and monotenous. Wish they had changed it up or went a tad more traditional.

Yeah, Colette's such a p**** lol and she's always getting captured, Lloyd should just go out with Sheena lol...but yeah, I liked most of the other characters and the overall story was good.

I just finished the game and now I'm playing Pikmin.

The Good: I actually like the time limit aspect of the game, it makes you plan every day carefully and think the overall gameplay is fun and unique.

The Bad: I hate when the pikmin sidetrack from you to become flower pikmin, try to grab a chip or defeat an enemy.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]Quake - Sega Saturn (review coming soon :P) Good: Graphics are very impressive for the system, weapons and enemies are fun bad: framerate hissues, control input delayJigglyWiggly_
Why would you even bother playing quake on a console? You need mouse and keyboard for that game, and ideal with a 120hz monitor if you want to play it precisely.

Too see how the game looks and feels on a console

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Playing Banjo Tooie. I like the quality platforming and the graphics/music/humor that the series is known for. What I dislike is that the game actually seems too big; I liked the stage setup its predecessor better.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
I'm playing Super Mario 64 right now. I love almost everything about the game (the level design, graphics, music, objective-based platforming, etc.), but the controls are pretty sketchy at times. The camera is especially painful.
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheSacredFlame

Playing Banjo Tooie. I like the quality platforming and the graphics/music/humor that the series is known for. What I dislike is that the game actually seems too big; I liked the stage setup its predecessor better.

Bubble_Man

Are you playing the original N64 version or the updated 360 version? Because I hate it when there's major lag when I'm playing it on the N64 version. I would assume that the 360 version would've fix it though.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

TheSacredFlame

Are you playing the original N64 version or the updated 360 version? Because I hate it when there's major lag when I'm playing it on the N64 version. I would assume that the 360 version would've fix it though.

I'm playing it on the N64 and agree with you about the lag.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

@Above:yeah,i remember the game being laggy on N64,but it was really good!

Currently on Soul Reaver 2,and

Good: i like the story

Bad: gameplay should be better,plus it's too easy.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#38 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Legend of Dragoon

Good - Battle system is based on timing. Decent Soundtrack. Good Boss Battles and Dungeons

Bad - Character Dialogue is pretty bad. Limited Inventory Space. Slightly a clone of FF7

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I'm playing through Vagrant Story again and to answer the TC's question:

For

It's Vagrant Story. Nuff said :)

Against

A cumbersome menu system means that organising items and switching equipment (something you need to do a lot in combat to take into account the various enemy types and their affinities and resistances) can become a chore.