Define casual and hardcore gamer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

There are many threads thatuse the two terms but in everyone I read there is always a discrepancy in what people define as a hardcore gamer and a casual gamer. Can we possibly define the two terms concretely so that when we talk about the two demographics we can know exactly who falls under which category?

Is it the time spent? the money spent? the energy spent playing games? the skill level of the player? the kinds of games they choose to play? or is it something else?

I will hold off stating my opinion until I hear what you'll have to say.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
The problem is that the terms are relative. For some people, anyone who isn't playing an obscure PC game like Mount and Blade is automatically a casual. Others pride themselves on being hardcore for playing Modern Warfare 2. In general, I think it is silly to apply these terms to people, because usually it is used to denigrate someone's game of choice, or to try and say that there are a group of people out there who buy games and own the means to play those games that aren't really gamers.
tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tommy_boy9999
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

Labels are a part of our culture. Though the terms are relative the meaning of the definition really does differ from gamer to gamer.

Casual and hardcore do not have to have a negative connotation.

When I was a kid the term Hardcore meant that you were gamer and not loyal to one brand over the other. I grew up during the 16-bit wars and was a huge Sega Genesis Fan, but I love the Super Nintendo. To me the term hardcore meant you loved gaming period. Now as an adult the meaning has changed somewhat.

As an adult the term hardcore gamer gets defined into collecting. I try to collect as many games as possible for every single system. I have over 1500 games does it mean I'm hardcore?

A casual gamer has always been someone like my parents who I have seen play a game only once or twice.

To me a hardcore gamer is someone that loves videogames and the hobby itself

A casual gamer is someone could care less.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The problem is that the terms are relative. For some people, anyone who isn't playing an obscure PC game like Mount and Blade is automatically a casual. Others pride themselves on being hardcore for playing Modern Warfare 2.rragnaar

I agree. Personally, the only games I consider hardcore are the ones that are beyond my simpleton understanding such as submarine sims, tank sims, insanely complex strategy games and ultra-realistic first-person shooters (Operation Flashpoint, ArmA II make Ghost Recon and the newer Rainbow Six games seem kiddy in comparison). People who play that are truly hardcore.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

To me a hardcore gamer is someone that loves videogames and the hobby itself

A casual gamer is someone could care less.

tommy_boy9999
I have the same view myself. And if casual gamers have a nonchalant attitude to games does that mean they have a negative affect on the industry? and is it healthy for developers to devote large time to them or should they be treated as another niche?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The easiest way I can think to define a gamer would be their dedication to the games they play. If all I played was Harvest Moon I could still be labeled as a hardcore gamer IF I played that game to its fullest potential and played it often.

On the other hand I could also play a PC RTS game infrequently and without any passion and still be casual gamer. So the answer must simply be my attitude towards games is what makes me one or the other.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

The way that I see it is that when most people say "casual" or "hardcore" they're referring to how into gaming a person in. A casual is a person who occasionally plays games whereas a hardcore gamer is very avid about video games. In other words, a casual gamer is into games about as much as they're into other forms of entertainment like TV, movies, and music. A hardcore gamer though sees gaming as their primary hobby, or at least one of their major hobbies.

The result is that a hardcore gamer is going to be into more obscure, fringe, and niche titles than a casual because they're a lot more aware of what's being released, what's good, what's bad, etc. A casual, on the other hand, is likely to only be into the popular, mass appeal games like COD, Madden, and Guitar Hero because those are the types of games that a person who doesn't keep up with the industry much is aware of. Furthermore, a hardcore gamer is likely to own a lot more games than a casual because, again, a casual just plays games about as much as they watch movies, whereas a core gamer plays games very often.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Casual means when the dryer buzzes, I pause the game, put down the controller, and fold my laundry.

Hardcore means I'm wearing wrinkly clothes this week.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
A casual gamer is someone who thinks that 50 Cent: Bulletproof is any good. A hardcore gamer is someone who thinks that it'd be better if games remained a "nerdy" activity for the socially secluded, lest the unwashed masses taint their hobby.
SnipeyMcSnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SnipeyMcSnipe
Member since 2006 • 2010 Posts

Casual means when the dryer buzzes, I pause the game, put down the controller, and fold my laundry.

Hardcore means I'm wearing wrinkly clothes this week.

Oleg_Huzwog
Lol, that's a clever way to put it. I can personally put that same concept to sleep.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I'd say a hardcore gamer is a gamer who is aware and open minded in terms of games.

And by open minded I don't mean that he/she needs to like every different kind of game and genre, I'm aware people have different and particular tastes. But I just mean I think a hardcore gamer wouldn't simply discount a game because it doesn't fit into their area of comfort and liking.

Like, I think a casual gamer would see somethinglike Zack & Wiki and think it's garbage because of it's a puzzle game with cartoon graphics. He/she doesn't need to like the game, but give it the respect it deserves.

I think under this definition I could also call people who simply discount games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports as casual shovelware because they don't fall into the categories of what we'd usual call hardcore games casual gamers as well. If you think the games are actually bad and not fun, fair enough. But if you don't think they are good or "count" because of their target audience alone, that's not a good argument.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
In my opinion a Hardcore gamer is oneone who's played games for several years and who knows somewhat about the Gaming Community, They do not need to have played the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. A casual gamer is someone that either very recently began to play videogames and/or very rarely does so.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#13 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I suppose I would define a "casual" gamer as one who just plays video games on the side-- i.e. they don't have alot of titles and video games take up a small portion of their time. As for a "hardcore" gamer, I would define a "hardcore" gamer as one whose primary entertainment is video games and sees everything else in their life through them. I lean more toward hardcore, but I do have other things in my life as well-- video games are just my primary hobby.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
casual gamer, play time to time hardcore gamer play nearly all new games, play on tournaments and lanparties
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Hardcore: Plays almost everyday. And doesn't see it as a thing to pass time.

Casual: Person who plays from time to time. Or plays games like wii fit and stuff like that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Hardcore: Plays almost everyday. And doesn't see it as a thing to pass time.

Casual: Person who plays from time to time. Or plays games like wii fit and stuff like that.

James161324

I don't agree with that at all. Adults who are into games can't exactly play almost everyday. Also just playing games like Wii fit doesn't automatically make them casual. More likely non gamers would use Wii Fit the most instead of casuals and core gamers might use it too.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
casual - simple games hardcore- complicated games