Dark Souls without online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts

So according to IGN "It is impossible to overstate how crucial online play is to the Dark Souls experience. Without it, it's half a game (and about four times as difficult, too, which is really not what you want from a game that's already difficult enough to sap your will to live). Multiplayer is your get-out clause, the thing that stops Dark Souls from ever being straightforwardly impossible, no matter what your skill level."

Why is online so important? Since Dark Souls is now kind of old, are there still players online? Or would it not matter since their movements are kind of recorded already? How important is the online component?

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

So according to IGN "It is impossible to overstate how crucial online play is to the Dark Souls experience. Without it, it's half a game (and about four times as difficult, too, which is really not what you want from a game that's already difficult enough to sap your will to live). Multiplayer is your get-out clause, the thing that stops Dark Souls from ever being straightforwardly impossible, no matter what your skill level."

Why is online so important? Since Dark Souls is now kind of old, are there still players online? Or would it not matter since their movements are kind of recorded already? How important is the online component?

greengloop

Dark Souls is perfectly playable without the occasional summoning and written messages such as "amazing chest ahead" and "try jumping".

It's just IGN being IGN.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

greengloop
It's pretty fun but nowhere near as important. Generally nobody takes the messages seriously either because they are usually BS, though they help out sometimes.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

IGN is just being crap. The game is perfectly fine without online, though you miss out on a few fun aspects.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

I played through both Demons and Dark Souls the first time offline and loved every second of them. I play online sometimes but honestly prefer playing it offline

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I played without the online, and didn't have any problems.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Don't listen to IGN. Ever if you can help it. Dark Souls is perfectly playable offline.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's far from unbeatable without online. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I played the entire thing with no online and did fine.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I sunk 160 hours into the game and finished it without ever touching the online. 

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I played through the PC version recently and it was basically an online ghost town. I never once summoned another player and the few instances where I did experience online was someone being a douche and invading me just before Stein and Smough (multiple times). Game doesn't suffer from being played mostly singleplayer and the boss fights are all doable without summoning.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

It's perfectly playable offline.  Though I do agree that you lose a lot of the games nuances if you don't play online.  The messages other players leave are usually useless, but occasionally lead to hidden items or locations you would of strolled right past.  At this point however, you can just look up information for the game online.

The player interaction adds a whole other layer to the game that can't be denied.  Offering to help other players awards you with Souls and Humanity, which in turn allows you to summon other players to help you.  It also makes the game considerably easier.  I was more or less forced to play solo my first time through cause my router really didn't like my Xbox.  I've been playing again recently, and certain points in the game are far FAR more forgiving with even one other player, and the game does still have plenty of people playing it online.

Again I stress It's entirely possible to play single player and have fun doing so.  Though there are a few insanely frustrating sticking points in the game for solo players.  So I would suggest playing it online if possible, but if not It's still a fantastic game.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

greengloop
It's not. IGN is stupid.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 turtlethetaffer

I played through the PC version recently and it was basically an online ghost town. I never once summoned another player and the few instances where I did experience online was someone being a douche and invading me just before Stein and Smough (multiple times). Game doesn't suffer from being played mostly singleplayer and the boss fights are all doable without summoning.DJ_Lae

This is it exactly.  The only time a phantom was actually useful to me was on my original playthrough fighthing Iron golem... Apart from that, I essentially solo'd every boss.  And I beat the game this way.  The game is far from impossible offline, you just need to approach it differently than if you were online.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

Ive completed the game 4 times. The only time I ever summoned anyone was for smough and ornstein on my first playthrough.

Its also worth noting that there are Summonable NPCs for some of the harder boss fights.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

greengloop

I've never listened to much of anything IGN has to say, go with that.

Dark Souls is perfectly playable offline, in fact it's better that way. Most of the messages people leave are lies anyhow, and you can summon certain NPC's if you really need help at points. I've always thought the Souls games forced that aspect of the game, the 'online aspect' is kind of a joke. 

IGN must suck at video games to be honest, because the Souls games are challenging, they are not the only game in the world that has challenge and they are far from impossible. I've played games that are way more difficult. 

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

Blueresident87

Dark Souls is perfectly playable offline, in fact it's better that way. Most of the messages people leave are lies anyhow, and you can summon certain NPC's if you really need help at points. I've always thought the Souls games forced that aspect of the game, the 'online aspect' is kind of a joke. 

IGN must suck at video games to be honest, because the Souls games are challenging, they are not the only game in the world that has challenge and they are far from impossible. I've played games that are way more difficult. 

This too. Once you learn your preffered way of playing and learn the many tricks and subtle nuances of the game, Dark Souls becomes far more than manageable. As long as you play careffully they are not unbeatable.

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 greengloop

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to decide whether to get the PS3 version (on which I will have online access) or the Xbox 360 version (where I will not have online access but I prefer the controller). Which one would you recommend?

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShadowJax04

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to decide whether to get the PS3 version (on which I will have online access) or the Xbox 360 version (where I will not have online access but I prefer the controller). Which one would you recommend?

greengloop

Neither actually. PC for free online and an option to connect your favored controller via USB. Best of two worlds. So PC if you can help it

Also, more content on the basic PC version compared to basic console version. Widescreen mod plus already a possible higher resolution than console allows. 

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 greengloop

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

ShadowJax04

Neither actually. PC for free online and an option to connect your favored controller via USB. Best of two worlds. So PC if you can help it

Also, more content on the basic PC version compared to basic console version. Widescreen mod plus already a possible higher resolution than console allows. 

I dont have a powerful enough computer for that. I use a MacBook Air lol.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

ShadowJax04

I don't think that's true. Prepare to Die isn't exclusive to PC, it's now the basic version on consoles also. If you want it at it's absolute best, get it for PC. But the difference isn't that big. It was ported rather poorly. I heard you need some mods to run it at high frame rate and resolution. Otherwise, I'd go with PS3 purely because it's the cheaper one right now (where I live anyway). But the difference between PS3 and 360 is pretty much non-existent. Get the one you want I guess.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShadowJax04
[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

Zevvion

I don't think that's true. Prepare to Die isn't exclusive to PC, it's now the basic version on consoles also.

My bad if that's true. Agree the difference between the console versions are minuscule. So do you want free online or your preferred controller? That's pretty much all there is to it.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zevvion
[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"] My bad if that's true. Agree the difference between the console versions are minuscule. So do you want free online or your preferred controller? That's pretty much all there is to it.

Agreed. I don't know how much you prefer the 360 controller. I like the 360 controller better also, but al perfectly capable with DualShock. If I had to choose between online or offline, I'd choose online, so PS3. It's not a huge deal, but it's helpful at times (and funny reading the 'I can't take this' messages at the weirdest places) and it's not a shooter or driving game that makes heavy use of the triggers, so the controller isn't a big deal either I'd say.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

turtlethetaffer

This too. Once you learn your preffered way of playing and learn the many tricks and subtle nuances of the game, Dark Souls becomes far more than manageable. As long as you play careffully they are not unbeatable.

After you learn the nuances you can throw caution to the wind. I tend to run through areas with no shield equip.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Minishdriveby

greengloop
The game feels more comfortable on the PS3, but that's just my opinion because it has the same control scheme as Demon's Souls which was a PS3 exclusive.
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
Getting invaded while trying to make my way to the top of Sen's Fortress for the first time is the most invigorating/tense/scary gaming experience I've ever had. Co-op is fun too and I like helping people out with the big baddies such as Smough and Ornstein.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zevvion
[QUOTE="greengloop"]

Minishdriveby
The game feels more comfortable on the PS3, but that's just my opinion because it has the same control scheme as Demon's Souls which was a PS3 exclusive.

I don't think that's important to someone who hasn't played Demon's Souls. If at all. It plays exactly the same on 360.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

its better online.. random invasions make it more intense

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowJax04

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Minishdriveby

After you learn the nuances you can throw caution to the wind. I tend to run through areas with no shield equip.

True. Dark souls really isn't that brutally hard. It's all about the learning curve. It feels really difficult at the start, but eventually you learn how to fight and the game essentially hands you every tool for the job, you just need to learn where or what it is.

Edit: that's not to say game is easy but once you've cleared it all the first time your second playthrough should be signifigantly easier, as in, Dark Souls isn't as much about unfair difficulty as much as it is about learning how to effectively counter enemies.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: IGN Removing online doesn't make dark souls half of a game. Not even close. Also, proof that IGN had casuals summoning overpowered carebears early-game to help carry them.
cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts
Don't listen to IGN. Ever if you can help it. Dark Souls is perfectly playable offline. MonoSilver
Ditto that. I played the game twice. once completely offline from beginning till the end without touching online once. 2nd time around i was connected online and every now and then the online action made its appearance here and there. and IMO i believe that both ways are fun if u can enjoy playing PvP / Co-Op and as Solo player. they have their own rewards and punishments. personally, for Dark Souls, i preferred being online because i was always ready to help some newbie to the Dark Souls world, or help anyone take down some big bad baddie.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

its worth it without online.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

I'd definately recommend playing offline. The game is really immersive and nothing breaks immersion more than some jackass player who thinks he's funny with a complete and unnecessary hint. Besides, beating the game without any sort of hint feels much more like an accomplishment.

Online is great when you've beaten the game however.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

The game is perfectly playable without online but you will lose out on quite a bit the experience and what makes Demon/Dark Souls unique. It will also be more difficult as you'll have one less method of being revived and no way to summon Blue Phantoms (other players) into your world if you're having a tough time.

If you're not playing online, then it's not worth it, it really is half of the experience.