Crytek offers $699 PC guaranteed to run Crysis Warhead at 30fps on High settings

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Check the full article here.

Crytek, Nvidia, and EA have teamed to create the "Warhead PC," a prebuilt machine that will be available for purchase alongside Crysis Warhead through UltraPC next week. Although the PC's exact specifications aren't expected to be announced until next week, Remo noted that the build will feature an Intel Core2 Duo e7300 (@2.66GHz) processor, an Nvidia 9800GT graphics chip, and 2GB of RAM.

As noted by Crysis franchise producer Bernd Diemer, EA and Crytek aren't attempting to make a move on the hardware space; rather, the goal of offering the PC is to prove that high-end gaming doesn't require thousands of dollars in investment.

"When we started working on Warhead, we decided performance was a big issue," said Diemer. "So we said, 'Guys, we're going to build a PC which has a maximum price of six or seven hundred dollars, and it has to run Warhead in high spec at an average frame rate of 30.' We built that PC--Crytek in the Budapest office [where Warhead was developed]--and we put it in the middle of the studio, and every review was on that machine... For us, it was really helpful, because we sort of had a hard cap."

I think that's an awesome rig for a more than reasonable amount of money especially considering that Crysis is the benchmark for graphics right now (and that probably won't change anytime soon). Also, seeing how RAM is dirt-cheap these days, one could stick another 2 Gig in there for even better performance.

But of course, gaming PC's cost $5000 and PC gaming is dying, so...

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

That's an outstanding offer. Especially for folks that can't be bothered with picking up individual hardware parts and then putting them all together.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

That's an outstanding offer. Especially for folks that can't be bothered with picking up individual hardware parts and then putting them all together like that stupid rragnaar guy. Did you guys know that he spent $250 on RAM and a videocard that won't fit on his motherboard? That guy is a doofus.

SteelAttack

Hey!:evil:

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Wow thats a great offer.
ThisCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ThisCurse
Member since 2007 • 1258 Posts
Carbon fiber? Is that a speaker on the front? Dress that thing in pink trim and there will be no question at all!
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]

That's an outstanding offer. Especially for folks that can't be bothered with picking up individual hardware parts and then putting them all together like that stupid rragnaar guy. Did you guys know that he spent $250 on RAM and a videocard that won't fit on his motherboard? That guy is a doofus.

rragnaar

Hey!:evil:

:lol:

Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
Hey thanks man, I've been looking for a high end gaming PC, but know nothing about making my own. This seems like it's right up my alley...
Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

this is no doubt an excellent price...i've always thought about buying a gaming pc to play games like crysis, but as a multi-console owner i'm not sure i'll even have the time to play every good game that comes out...that, and i know nothing about building a gaming pc so so i've stuck to consoles...

about that pc, how much would it cost to upgrade to run crysis warhead closer to the 60fps range?

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

this is no doubt an excellent price...i've always thought about buying a gaming pc to play games like crysis, but as a multi-console owner i'm not sure i'll even have the time to play every good game that comes out...that, and i know nothing about building a gaming pc so so i've stuck to consoles...

about that pc, how much would it cost to upgrade to run crysis warhead closer to the 60fps range?

Prodigy_basic

Throw in an 8800GTX or an 8800 Ultra and some more RAM and you're in buisness. Probably another 200 dollars if you switch up the parts.

Just remember that it's way cheaper to build your own PC.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Nice. I was planning on getting a dedicated Windows Machine for my home at some point for more focused PC game audio concerns and conversion matters (even though I enjoy running windows off my Macs), and this seems like a great option. Chances are these machines would be great for more than just gaming, so it's a great win-win situation. :)
Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
[QUOTE="Prodigy_basic"]

chrisrooR

Throw in an 8800GTX or an 8800 Ultra and some more RAM and you're in buisness. Probably another 200 dollars if you switch up the parts.

seriously? i might have to start looking into it then...depending on how money goes i might have $1000 or so for a gaming pc, and i always thought it wouldn't be enough to run crysis on high settings and at a smooth framerate...

thanks

rifton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rifton
Member since 2005 • 1716 Posts
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Prodigy_basic"]

Prodigy_basic

seriously? i might have to start looking into it then...depending on how money goes i might have $1000 or so for a gaming pc, and i always thought it wouldn't be enough to run crysis on high settings and at a smooth framerate...

thanks

I just built one that can do that for $800 (including monitor). It only took me a few hours to build (as a complete newb).
blacksiteninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blacksiteninja
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
this would be more appealing if i was a pc gamer
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

That set up is just a notch higher than average.:?

That's a terrible offer considering for that price you could purchase a significantly better machine, maybe having to spend just a little more at the most. Clearly this is aimed at those who know nothing about computers.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
If you can build your own computer you can get a better comp for cheapar or about the same...
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

That's a terrible offer considering for that price you could purchase a significantly better machine, maybe having to spend just a little more at the most. Clearly this is aimed at those who know nothing about computers.

MarcusAntonius
You could do a bit better if you buy the parts and piece it together yourself but not by a lot, and building a PC from the groundup isnt something that everyone could easily do. To be honest if you factor in shipping and taxes the $699 looks about right to me...
Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts
Thats amazing!! Im upgrading ina year so wont need it but its definately a good deal
ct-rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ct-rodent
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Always going to be cheaper to build your own.

When buying a PC you have to take into account build costs, and warranties, + depending on the company you are buying from, you will have to consider extra carriage charges, if they have to get extra components in stock to build rather than ship direct to the customer.

The only downside to a self build is you have no-one to blame but yourself if it goes wrong, and no warranty, except manufacturer warranties on the components, and unless you know what you are doing, how are you to know the component is faulty or the build is faulty or indeed if the component you think is faulty is the real culprit.

Warranties usually prevents you from overclocking a system as-well, as this normally invalidates the warranty, so you do have more leeway with a self build.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

niiiiiiiiice!

very nice!

$699 is not bad for a high end PC. i will get one as soon as i pay off my PS3. ****er just cost way too much.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 S0lidSnake

MarcusAntonius

hey it runs crysis at 30 FPS on high settings, a console gamer like me couldnt ask for more for that price. sure i would like to have twice as much ram and a quad core, but if they tested crysis on that machine that means i dont have to do any work whatsoever. one thing i hated about the pc i built was that kept checking the fps i was getting and kept tweaking the settings while hardly playing the game itself (half life 2, yes it was a long time ago). now that i know it will def give me 30 fps on high, then i wont have to run fraps or whatever they call that fps software. this pc really is like a console, which is exactly what i want.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
Looks neat, but I'm not interested. I have plenty of games to play, and have been saturated in FPS quite a long time ago now, so a FPS, no matter how pretty, isn't going to get me to spend $699 on more hardware. (when I could buy about $299 of quality software for what I already have, and just save the rest) This little laptop here lets me surf the net and play Diablo 2, good enough.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UpInFlames

That's a terrible offer considering for that price you could purchase a significantly better machine, maybe having to spend just a little more at the most. Clearly this is aimed at those who know nothing about computers.MarcusAntonius

That's the whole point, isn't it? This isn't for PC enthusiasts who like to pick every single component and build their own rig. This is a great PC for people who want as little fuss as possible. Of course building your own is cheaper and better, but saying so is completely missing the point, methinks. And honestly, this rig can run the best-looking game ever made at 30fps on high....where's the need to get anything better?

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Yeah I understand why they had to charge it that much once you factor in the labor costs. After all they do need to make a profit for their efforts. This could very well give Alienware a run for their money since their hardware is so ridiculously expensive.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Why would I pay $699 to play Crysis?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UpInFlames

Yeah I understand why they had to charge it that much once you factor in the labor costs. After all they do need to make a profit for their efforts. This could very well give Alienware a run for their money since their hardware is so ridiculously expensive.BladesOfAthena

Alienware is one of the culprits why people think gaming PC's cost thousands of dollars. This PC is $700, I don't think it's comparable at all.

Why would I pay $699 to play Crysis?Shame-usBlackley

Since you paid $599 to play Resistance, the question is why not? :wink:

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]Why would I pay $699 to play Crysis?UpInFlames

Yeah, but remember -- that ended in dismay and disappointment. :)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UpInFlames

Yeah, but remember -- that ended in dismay and disappointment. :)Shame-usBlackley

PC gaming would never treat you like that, babycakes. :P

The way I look at it, people need a computer. So for a bit extra cash, they can use it to play games like Crysis, Spore, Diablo III or whatever the hell floats their boat (Lord knows there's plenty to choose from) on top of everything else they use it for. *shrugs*

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

Well....you do gain access to the definitive version of almost every multiplatform title available. Plus you don't have to spend an additional $1000 or more to play in HD.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#29 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]Why would I pay $699 to play Crysis?Shame-usBlackley

Well at least you have Blu Ray to fall back on. :)
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GodModeEnabled

Shame-usBlackley
You have acess to one of the widest, best, most diverse and quality gaming librarys of all time with that rig. Just the great PC games worth owning that were released within the last few years are too numerous to name.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]That set up is just a notch higher than average.:?

That's a terrible offer considering for that price you could purchase a significantly better machine, maybe having to spend just a little more at the most. Clearly this is aimed at those who know nothing about computers.UpInFlames

That's the whole point, isn't it? This isn't for PC enthusiasts who like to pick every single component and build their own rig. This is a great PC for people who want as little fuss as possible. Of course building your own is cheaper and better, but saying so is completely missing the point, methinks. And honestly, this rig can run the best-looking game ever made at 30fps on high....where's the need to get anything better?

The need lies in the fact that there's a "very high" setting (to say nothing about getting it up to a high resolution with AA maxed out), and that 60 FPS at minimum is ideal performance.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

GodModeEnabled

You have acess to one of the widest, best, most diverse and quality gaming librarys of all time with that rig. Just the great PC games worth owning that were released within the last few years are too numerous to name.

Quick question. Saying that ^, is it any different than saying the ps3 has one of the most diverse lineups since it plays PS2 and PS1 games (assuming you have BC)?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

F1Lengend

Quick question. Saying that ^, is it any different than saying the ps3 has one of the most diverse lineups since it plays PS2 and PS1 games (assuming you have BC)?

Thats a matter of perspective I suppose. Im merley saying that about the PC because there is no generational boundaries if you know what im sayin. So you get acess to the newest and best and everything that comes before it. I suppose the same statement could be made with a backwards compatible PS3 too though.....ahhh touche. Yeah well computers have pron so I win.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

GodModeEnabled

Thats a matter of perspective I suppose. Im merley saying that about the PC because there is no generational boundaries if you know what im sayin. So you get acess to the newest and best and everything that comes before it. I suppose the same statement could be made with a backwards compatible PS3 too though.....ahhh touche. Yeah well computers have pron so I win.

...Ps3 has a webbrowser

[spoiler] You made me do it :lol: [/spoiler]

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S0lidSnake
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

F1Lengend

its really not the same. The greatest of the FPS games are built on the PC platform and even the ones with simultaneous releases across all platforms are undeniably better on the PC. Take Bioshock and Half Life Orange Box for example, Orange Box on PS3 was a POS port while Bioshock still hasnt been released on the PS3. Forget the exculsives, PC will have the best versions of games like Rage.

the 360 gets most of these games but they are usually watered down ports, and have no mod support, and lets not forget a game like Crysis cant be done on even the 360.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
This is turning into a system war.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GodModeEnabled
This is turning into a system war.RK-Mara
All I was trying to point out is that for $699 you get a lot more than just acess to Crysis for your money.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SteelAttack

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]This is turning into a system war.GodModeEnabled
All I was trying to point out is that for $699 you get a lot more than just acess to Crysis for your money.

It's worth saying it again. For people that doesn't want to struggle with or doesn't know about the intricacies of building a gaming rig on their own, this is one hell of an offer. Forget about Crysis for a minute, this setup basically lets you run anything you can throw at it while looking great. The fact that it can handle Crysis at a playable framerate is a testament to its performance.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UpInFlames

The need lies in the fact that there's a "very high" setting (to say nothing about getting it up to a high resolution with AA maxed out), and that 60 FPS at minimum is ideal performance.gameguy6700

Playing Crysis on Very High at 60fps is a far cry (pun intended) from a need. Last year I played Crysis on Medium at about 20fps (if that) and it easily bested the likes of BioShock, Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War (all of which I was able to max out) in the graphics department. And more importantly, it still played better than any other FPS since Half-Life 2.

Forget about Crysis for a minute, this setup basically lets you run anything you can throw at it while looking great.SteelAttack

And will continue to do so for years.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Skylock00

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The need lies in the fact that there's a "very high" setting (to say nothing about getting it up to a high resolution with AA maxed out), and that 60 FPS at minimum is ideal performance.UpInFlames

Playing Crysis on Very High at 60fps is a far cry (pun intended) from a need.

That'd be like saying that you need to have these cables in order to have a decent sounding speaker set up (and that's right...$2750 for a 3 foot pair)
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Are there any disadvantages to this gaming rig? :? I might be interested in obtaining a unit if there aren't...
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MarcusAntonius

Are there any disadvantages to this gaming rig? :? I might be interested in obtaining a unit if there aren't...helium_flash

Yes there is. It's slightly overpriced. You get a laptop with better specs for nearly the same price or a quad core desktop for that price or maybe $100 more.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MarcusAntonius
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]That set up is just a notch higher than average.:?

That's a terrible offer considering for that price you could purchase a significantly better machine, maybe having to spend just a little more at the most. Clearly this is aimed at those who know nothing about computers.UpInFlames

It's about getting the best value..........this isn't it.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UpInFlames

That'd be like saying that you need to have these cables in order to have a decent sounding speaker set up (and that's right...$2750 for a 3 foot pair)Skylock00

Jesus....did you check out the review on the right:

Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace-these cables smack that right on the nose big time.

And here I thought it's the music that does that, but no, it was the cables all along!

Yes there is. It's slightly overpriced. You get a laptop with better specs for nearly the same price or a quad core desktop for that price or maybe $100 more.MarcusAntonius

Screw laptops. But hey man, if you can really get a quad core desktop for the same price, please do post links. Not as proof for me, but perhaps some people here would be interested in such deals.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shame-usBlackley

[Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace-these cables smack that right on the nose big time.

UpInFlames

LOL!

That has to be Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. I wonder if he ever got a working time machine?

SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

S0lidSnake

hey it runs crysis at 30 FPS on high settings, a console gamer like me couldnt ask for more for that price. sure i would like to have twice as much ram and a quad core, but if they tested crysis on that machine that means i dont have to do any work whatsoever. one thing i hated about the pc i built was that kept checking the fps i was getting and kept tweaking the settings while hardly playing the game itself (half life 2, yes it was a long time ago). now that i know it will def give me 30 fps on high, then i wont have to run fraps or whatever they call that fps software. this pc really is like a console, which is exactly what i want.

I just bought one with twice as much ram and a quad core last week... paid about $725 total. Prebuilt from a chain store no less.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

This is a good deal for people looking into PC gaming but don't know much about it.

But I'd wait for a better PC to get price drops. It fluctuates every year it seems. A $4000 pre-built PC is only $900 a year later for example.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
I know just enough that most pre-built PCs are a total rip-off, but I'm too dumb with computers to put my own together. If I had the money now, I would totally get that. Hopefully, Crytek keeps this up, cause I'm sure I would like to buy a pre-built gaming PC within the next year.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The need lies in the fact that there's a "very high" setting (to say nothing about getting it up to a high resolution with AA maxed out), and that 60 FPS at minimum is ideal performance.Skylock00

Playing Crysis on Very High at 60fps is a far cry (pun intended) from a need.

That'd be like saying that you need to have these cables in order to have a decent sounding speaker set up (and that's right...$2750 for a 3 foot pair)

It may not be a need for you guys, but for hardcore PC gamers/hardware enthusiasts it comes close. On this board you're probably going to come across the general opinion that it's pointless to blow thousands on a gaming rig. Go to the Crysis, PC gaming, or especially the PC hardware boards though and the general opinion is the exact opposite. PC gaming enthusiasts tend to have the "we must because we can" mentality. Does anyone need a PC with a quad core CPU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, GTX280s in quad SLI, an agea physics card, a top of the line soundcard, and a water cooling system (or something more insane) that allows them to overclock everything well past what the engineers who made the devices thought possible? No, no one needs a setup like that. But that hasn't stopped people from building rigs like that just so they can play Crysis at the settings I described.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skylock00

It may not be a need for you guys, but for hardcore PC gamers/hardware enthusiasts it comes close. On this board you're probably going to come across the general opinion that it's pointless to blow thousands on a gaming rig. Go to the Crysis, PC gaming, or especially the PC hardware boards though and the general opinion is the exact opposite. PC gaming enthusiasts tend to have the "we must because we can" mentality. Does anyone need a PC with a quad core CPU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, GTX280s in quad SLI, an agea physics card, a top of the line soundcard, and a water cooling system (or something more insane) that allows them to overclock everything well past what the engineers who made the devices thought possible? No, no one needs a setup like that. But that hasn't stopped people from building rigs like that just so they can play Crysis at the settings I described.

gameguy6700
However, the point of this rig isn't to be made for those kinds of people. It's made for people who aren't PC gaming enthusiasts and so forth, the only people who 'need' to go really much farther than what this machine can put out. I think the only problem with your original statement was simply the usage of the word 'need.' ;)