Could gaming's future look like this? (Oculus Rift + omni-directional treadmill)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing this put to use in something like Skyrim. Granted, the gun controller wouldn't work, but surely they can come up with some other motion controllers or control scheme.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Video of Oculus Rift and an omni-directional treadmill being used to play Team Fortress 2. 

Link to article 

What do you get when you combine a 3D virtual reality headset with a passive omnidirectional treadmill? The future of gaming, today. Virtual reality accessory startup Virtuix on Thursday posted a demo video of its upcoming Omni a natural motion interface for virtual reality applications being used in conjunction with the Oculus Rift 3D virtual reality headgear. The video showcases the killer combination being used to play a first-person shooter and the result is mind-blowing.

The user becomes fully immersed in the game, using Virtuixs passive treadmill to move and a gun-like controller to fire on enemies. Then, the Oculus Rift completes the virtual reality experience thanks to its dual head-mounted displays that provide a 110-degree viewing angle.

The experience offered by the Omni and Rift is something next-generation video game consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Microsofts upcoming next-generation Xbox obviously cant even come close to competing with out of the box. A head-mounted 3D virtual reality device coupled with an omnidirectional passive treadmill places the user inside the game. The gamer can walk, run, turn and look around as if he or she is inside the complex new world created by each video game.

I have to say, I'm impressed. While I'm not sold on the idea of physical exertion being needed to play games, this looks like it could be promising. 

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
god I hope not.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

One of my co-workers had a rift in the office today. I came *very* close to falling over, but it was fun. :P

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

might as well take part in laser tagging or paintball or airsoft skirmishes.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-dsbeasgA i find this one way more interesting
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
Looks pretty lame to me.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm very interested in the Oculus Rift, I think having the screen fill my entire field of view would add tremendously to the immersion.  Hopefully it will catch on well enough that most dev's will support it.

You can keep that silly treadmill though.  Simulating the mental aspects of a game, like what I see, is awesome.  But the physical aspects like running would be a huge distraction. 

Zopple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zopple
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

Reminds me of the Gadget Show's BF3 set-up. I think it'd be fun to try a few times, but I don't know if I'd personally trade in a KB/M to always play like that.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I can see that hurting games more than improving them. Immersion is not needed and s very overrated.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i rather just go paintballing or do laser tag than play a game like that that just seems silly
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
The physical exertion for it's current setup would be probably be too much for any game that's extremely fast paced, but could be workable for games that only allow short distancing sprinting. They'd just have to slow down the pace required to run, I'd believe. Playing a horror game that way would be just amazing, though.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I'm very interested in the Oculus Rift, I think having the screen fill my entire field of view would add tremendously to the immersion.  Hopefully it will catch on well enough that most dev's will support it.

You can keep that silly treadmill though.  Simulating the mental aspects of a game, like what I see, is awesome.  But the physical aspects like running would be a huge distraction. 

Jackc8

Well said.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I seriously hope not. I play games to relax and enjoy myself. I do not want to work up a sweat while gaming.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
This would be super cool to try ONCE. Then never again.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i don't see it. it's just too much hardware. you crawl into the treadmill and then there's that gigantic headset. of course, there's the controller too. he's using a gun peripheral there, but he would need different peripherals for different types of games. i didn't notice him jump, but that seems like it could open up a whole new can of worms with timing and gravity and all that. then what about third person games? do we get rid of those?

i have no problem being immersed right now. i could pop in metroid prime, deus ex, or dark souls and get lost. they're able to do it with great designs rather than mountains of input devices.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Looks awful. I just want a controller, nothing else.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The problem with motion control is that movement is abstract. I do not control my legs, but just move there. That is why I find controllers are great at reflect relife movement better.

Second, immersion is overrated and does not add much to the game.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#21 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

The tech seems impressive, but it's not something I would ever use.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Oculus Rift is the next big thing... I've been waiting for a decent VR for some time now and I'm totally hyped. I've seen what Rift can deliver and it's truly impressive...

@people who say the prefer controllers
Well the video just wants to show that there can be alternative controls for your Oculus Rift but the original prototype is being designed with a controller in mind. You simply put the device on (glasses) and play in a totally immersive world.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Setting up the Wii in my living room was annoying enough. I enjoy the technology, and I would buy the f*** out of that if my house had been built with a room -just- for it. Not the case.

Maybe when I switch places.