Controllers all stink

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psi_kick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psi_kick
Member since 2011 • 49 Posts

One thing that really gets me upset is that I have yet to buy a good controller. Like games, I've owned quite a few. Saitek, Logitech, etc. I don't buy Logitech products because they knowingly sold a gamepad that didn't work, forums were full of it and their stuff sucks anyway.

Gamepads are fair but they are uniformly too small, hand cramping and hard to control. How much code does it take to put a ramp function on the sticks so they are responsive yet don't jump as soon as you move it a micron? Yet not a single gamepad manufacturer that I know of has tried to make one either ergonomic or more controllable. Same for mice. All too small and hard to control because no one has sense enough to put a ramp function on mouse movement either. Especially hard to control if you are a lefty, the buttons on the sides are usually unusable.

The other problem with almost every single game is they don't have fully programable controls. How much code does it take to let us configure the gamepad the way we want? On my PS3 I am always accidently punching the left and right stick down when the action gets fast and having those functions go off when you don't want them to screws you up if it doesn't get you dead. And I can't change them to nothing on any games, even the configurable ones. Aggravating to the max.

FYI By a ramp function I mean having the movement start slow so things don't move a lot when you just touch the stick and then ramp up the speed. Another words less sensitive to small movements. When you get a little older you will know why.

Just a little history for anyone knowledgeable enough to appreciate it. I had an Atari 5200 when it came out. It was one of the first systems to use an analog joystick. X and Y potentiometers on the joystick instead of the 4 LRUD switches on digital joysticks and gamepads. The problem with this type of joystick is that the center of a potentiometer is a resistance value and if it changes the zero point moves and it drifts. I am sure they figured this out too late and decided to make it non-centering to avoid the problem. When you let go of the stock 5200 stick it flops over, no springs holding it in the center and thus no LR and UD adjustment slides required. This made every single game unplayable. This is a typical trick manufacturers do. They make something unplayable and sell it anyway. The Magnavox Odyssey was the same way. They decided to one up Pong by making the paddles moveable in both X and Y. This required 3 separate potentiometer knobs. Perfectly fine if you have 3 hands, otherwise the games were unplayable. I bought an aftermarket joystick for the 5200 that centered the joystick but it required 2 adjustment pots to keep center. OK but it wore out in no time.

To finish up a long story I decided to make my own joystick for the 5200. I used a 9-ball. Made a housing for it, put 4 pins in the sides to activate switches instead of pots and made a working digital joystick for my 5200. I am probably the only person in the world who has a working digital joystick for a 5200. In case you know a little electronics and want to figure out how I did it I'll give a hint. 2 of the switches have to be normally closed and you need some resistors to emulate the pots.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Can't say I've ever had that issue when using a controller - it's a learning curve you get over pretty quick. I also don't find all of them too small - I have big hands and something like the 360 controller fits it quite well. In contrast I find the PS3 controller very uncomfortable - plus, its sticks are way too loose for me, especially after a few month of use. Mouse acceleration that mimics what you're talking about can be enabled on most systems, too, although I find it feels funny. Give me a high DPI mouse with some weight options instead. Once I make it as heavy as it allows I'm left with a mouse that's stable enough to move in very small increments, and the DPI allows me to travel the width of my screen with less than a centimeter of actual mouse travel. So far nothing has equaled the old G5 for that as far as I'm concerned.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Or you could buy 3 crappy xbox 360 controllers and one has a faulty d-pad and two have analog sticks that don't center properly
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Duel Shock 2 ftw.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

I have no issues with gamepads, took me some time to get used to the 360 controller I use on singleplayer games on PC contra my ps3-controller though..

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Buy a Kinect. Then you can be the (sucky) controller.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

360 controller I find to be the most comfortable. Works well enough for me.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Stop spending so much focusing on the negative and what you find to be wrong with the controllers and begin focusing on how you can best use them. You'll likely enjoy yourself much more that way.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Never had any problems with my controllers.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Maybe you should check out the Razer Onza 360 pad? It has different levels of stiffness on the sticks. But I'd recomend getting an arcade stick for arcade type games, a wheel for racing sims and a flight stick for flight sims if you play those.

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Sounds to me that it's not the controllers that stink.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The only controllers I've ever used were the NIS ones, then I had a SNES but barely played it, and then it was on to the PS1, 2 & 3. I wear a "large" size in gloves and the controllers always seemed fine to me. They could be a little larger for even better control and ergonomics, but it's not a problem for me at all. I've got a Logitech wireless controller for the PS2 and that's always worked fine for me. The shape is slightly different but it really didn't take any getting used to at all.

I think as far as the sensitivity of the analog sticks, that's probably the game developer's fault. With some games I can aim easily and precisely, while others are just effing terrible.

psi_kick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psi_kick

KnightSkull

The wind changed, that's your breath blowing back in your face. Maybe when you get a little older than 12 and have some experience with games you'll understand. I currently own more games than you'll ever buy in your life (over a thousand) and finished almost every one.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
The wind changed, that's your breath blowing back in your face. Maybe when you get a little older than 12 and have some experience with games you'll understand. I currently own more games than you'll ever buy in your life (over a thousand) and finished almost every one.psi_kick
All that tells me is that you have an awful lot of spare time on your hands. This really isn't worth bragging about. I mean look, if you want to brag, go ahead. Just make sure it's about something that actually matters.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I've never really had many problems with controllers myself. The 360 is my favourite as I find it very comfortable and really like the triggers and asymetrical placement of the analog sticks. The d-pad on the original is terrible but they have the new controller with the much improved d-pad.
Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
I've never had any trouble with any controllers I've owned, other then a few cheap PS2 and gamecube controllers breaking after a few months. Besides it sounds to me like you should turn your sensitivity down.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
only issue I've had is that the 360 controller is too big for me, why I prefer Madcatz's Micro controller, its about 15% smaller, which is quite nice.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

psi_kick

The wind changed, that's your breath blowing back in your face. Maybe when you get a little older than 12 and have some experience with games you'll understand. I currently own more games than you'll ever buy in your life (over a thousand) and finished almost every one.

That doesn't help your case or point at all, just sounds like a spoiled brat with too much spare time and parents that pay your upkeep. I just use my 360 or ps3 controller, works like a charm with 99% of the games I want to play with a controller. I got a few broken Sega Saturn and Dream Cast controllers though.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Way too much whining going on this generation.

ElephantSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElephantSwag
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts

360 controller is probably the best personally

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i like a little weight in my shooting controls. in killzone 2, it went a long way in reinforcing the point that im playing as a person with a large gun rather than just a floating gun. i guess there is the argument that input based entirely on accuracy is more suitable for competitive play, but the vast majority of games that say they are for that type of thing either have mediocre balancing or systems that dont live up to that ideal.

my only controller woe is that the radial face button pattern of the GCN pad was overtaken by the diamond pattern of its competitors and predecessors. radial is flat out better in every way. its better for simple one button focused control schemes and complex schemes that need more than 4 functions assigned to the face buttons. id never want to play metroid prime on a dualshock 2.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

One thing that really gets me upset is that I have yet to buy a good controller. Like games, I've owned quite a few. Saitek, Logitech, etc. I don't buy Logitech products because they knowingly sold a gamepad that didn't work, forums were full of it and their stuff sucks anyway.

try the razer onza tournament, by far the best controller ive ever owned...tho i do like the standard corded 360 controller as well

Gamepads are fair but they are uniformly too small, hand cramping and hard to control. How much code does it take to put a ramp function on the sticks so they are responsive yet don't jump as soon as you move it a micron? Yet not a single gamepad manufacturer that I know of has tried to make one either ergonomic or more controllable. Same for mice. All too small and hard to control because no one has sense enough to put a ramp function on mouse movement either. Especially hard to control if you are a lefty, the buttons on the sides are usually unusable.

go to best buy...try out their mice...there are a lot of companies that make lefty mice...razer makes a rather good one and i believe logitech and microsoft and probably steelseries have lefties...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF MOUSE ACCELERATION?????!!!!!!!! <

The other problem with almost every single game is they don't have fully programable controls. How much code does it take to let us configure the gamepad the way we want? On my PS3 I am always accidently punching the left and right stick down when the action gets fast and having those functions go off when you don't want them to screws you up if it doesn't get you dead. And I can't change them to nothing on any games, even the configurable ones. Aggravating to the max.

most pc games have full customization of key/controller bindings...enjoy what makes pc considered the best...customization...tho u will pay for it

FYI By a ramp function I mean having the movement start slow so things don't move a lot when you just touch the stick and then ramp up the speed. Another words less sensitive to small movements. When you get a little older you will know why.

again...MOUSE ACCELERATION...dont know if there is something like that for controllers...but it sounds like exactly what youre looking for...a lot of games dont even add it because most people dont like mouse acceleration...but again...its something you can force thru the hardware with a good mouse with good drivers...just do some shopping...i know for a fact razer will let you do basically everything youre talking about mouse wise...but if you dont like they way their mice are...there are other companies that ive already mentioned

psi_kick

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Het yourself a Razor Onza and a good mouse acceleration mouse and you're set. I'm not good on wheels, but check with the racing games you enjoy forums. Surely the users there would be knowledgable.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Well, your preferences and opinion doesn't equate to fact, nonetheless those are some very, very interesting points. Otherwise you should buy one of those clamp things that stick onto controllers, so you can adjust the sensitivity and everything as you please mechanically. It might not fit the bill for you, but it might help.
psi_kick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 psi_kick

[QUOTE="psi_kick"]

try the razer onza tournament, by far the best controller ive ever owned...tho i do like the standard corded 360 controller as well

go to best buy...try out their mice...there are a lot of companies that make lefty mice...razer makes a rather good one and i believe logitech and microsoft and probably steelseries have lefties...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF MOUSE ACCELERATION?????!!!!!!!! <

most pc games have full customization of key/controller bindings...enjoy what makes pc considered the best...customization...tho u will pay for it

again...MOUSE ACCELERATION...dont know if there is something like that for controllers...but it sounds like exactly what youre looking for...a lot of games dont even add it because most people dont like mouse acceleration...but again...its something you can force thru the hardware with a good mouse with good drivers...just do some shopping...i know for a fact razer will let you do basically everything youre talking about mouse wise...but if you dont like they way their mice are...there are other companies that ive already mentioned

lpjazzman220

Good tips and thanks but I guess I wasn't too clear. I didn't mean mice specifically I mean the sticks on the gamepads. Any game that requires aiming a crosshair usually means you need to get the crosshair exactly right to hit a small target. For instance, hitting the heart on the dragon in Dragon's Dogma at some distance. If you move the stick a hair it moves a lot on screen and makes it near impossible to get the cross hairs on a vey small target. At my age the hands aren't as steady as they used to be and extremely fine movements with gamepad sticks are hard for me these days. I only have PS3 controllers so I don't know how well others work. But I've had after-market ones too and they all seem to work the same.

As far as PC's go I use a programmable gamepad, no problem. My issue is with consoles not allowing assigning functions in the majority of games.

By the way, I'm not spoiled, I'm 62 and have bought everything myself and what I do with my spare time is my business. I chose to play games when I wasn't designing things as an engineer, electrical and mechanical, as well as many other things. If I was going to criticize people I'd say most people here should be reading books instead of playing games. And to the idiot that accused me of trolling, since when is criticism trolling? My experience is that half the trolling is people accusing other people of trolling.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I like the 360 controller for use with my PC. I liked the 360 button layout enough that I bought a 3rd party one for use with my PS3. I use controllers mainly for platformers, TPS, and sports games.