Contra 3: The Alien Wars vs. Contra: Hardcorps

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

I was just wondering what are everyone's thoughts on these two games and how they compare to each other.

Personally, the first time I played Hardcorps I didn't much care for it. But then I gave it another shot and man... I was freaking hooked!

It has everything that was good about Contra 3 like the bike and hellicopter sections, removes the less than stellar portions of Contra 3 (the overhead levels) and add a TON of new content:

- 4 characters to choose from, all with different weapons

- 6 different endings (not counting when you finish said endings with different characters)

- Pseudo 3D graphical effects

- A robotical alien Simon Belmont

- A planet of the apes style ending where you marry a monkey

The game is so crazy and fast paced it's insane, but awesome. Really the only faults I have are the small character sprites and some of the sound effects are pretty weak when compared to the awesome sound effects from Contra 3

Thoughts?

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I rented Contra III several times over a couple years, and didn't have a Sega Genesis until 1996, so that's probably why I prefer it over Hardcorps. Hardcorps isn't a bad game, and I didn't realize it had 6 different endings to it. Personally, I didn't really mind the overhead levels in III because they added variety. If you want a more modern Contra that has similarities to Harcorps, you'll have to check out Contra Rebirth for the Nintendo Wii.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]I rented Contra III several times over a couple years, and didn't have a Sega Genesis until 1996, so that's probably why I prefer it over Hardcorps. Hardcorps isn't a bad game, and I didn't realize it had 6 different endings to it. Personally, I didn't really mind the overhead levels in III because they added variety. If you want a more modern Contra that has similarities to Harcorps, you'll have to check out Contra Rebirth for the Nintendo Wii.

There's also a new Hardcorps game by konami for the 360 and PS3. Haven't tried it yet though
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stinger78
[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]I rented Contra III several times over a couple years, and didn't have a Sega Genesis until 1996, so that's probably why I prefer it over Hardcorps. Hardcorps isn't a bad game, and I didn't realize it had 6 different endings to it. Personally, I didn't really mind the overhead levels in III because they added variety. If you want a more modern Contra that has similarities to Harcorps, you'll have to check out Contra Rebirth for the Nintendo Wii.

There's also a new Hardcorps game by konami for the 360 and PS3. Haven't tried it yet though

To me, Hardcorps: Uprising is too much Metal Slug, and not enough Contra. If I had a DS, I'd go for Contra 4, though.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]I rented Contra III several times over a couple years, and didn't have a Sega Genesis until 1996, so that's probably why I prefer it over Hardcorps. Hardcorps isn't a bad game, and I didn't realize it had 6 different endings to it. Personally, I didn't really mind the overhead levels in III because they added variety. If you want a more modern Contra that has similarities to Harcorps, you'll have to check out Contra Rebirth for the Nintendo Wii.Stinger78

To me, Hardcorps: Uprising is too much Metal Slug, and not enough Contra. If I had a DS, I'd go for Contra 4, though.

Ah I see. that's a shame :\

I don't own a Wii or a DS though

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78
The game, at least the trial for Uprising wasn't bad at all, it just 'felt' different than Contra. To me, it was more like if you took characters that would fit more in some kind of fighting game, and gave them weapons to walk around with. At least it's a LOT better than the old game they named "Contra Force" on NES :)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rilpas
Haha good to know :P
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Contra: Hardcorps is a lot better and the best contra game.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I like Hard Corps more.
8-BitPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 8-BitPenguin
Member since 2009 • 216 Posts

I was a nintendo fanboy, so I've sticked to the SNES, I didn't even know there was a contra for sega genesis until a few years ago when I started to play a lot of genesis games thanks to kegafusion. Ihave to say contra III was my favourite 16 bit contra until I found Hard Corps. 

Hard Corps is much faster, crazier and loud... It's probably my favourite contra (although I haven't played contra rebirth or contra 4 yet) 

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Yeah,I´d say the Probotector is the best Contra game ever made,for sure.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas
I like Hard Corps more.Eikichi-Onizuka

I was a nintendo fanboy, so I've sticked to the SNES, I didn't even know there was a contra for sega genesis until a few years ago when I started to play a lot of genesis games thanks to kegafusion. Ihave to say contra III was my favourite 16 bit contra until I found Hard Corps. 

Hard Corps is much faster, crazier and loud... It's probably my favourite contra (although I haven't played contra rebirth or contra 4 yet) 

8-BitPenguin
Yeah,I´d say the Probotector is the best Contra game ever made,for sure.Nanomage
I'm surprised by these answers. Because it feels like Hard Corps has been more or less forgotten when compared to the much more popular Contra III glad to see so many people agree Hardcorps is better though :P
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Hard Corps. It's just bigger and better. It also had one of my favorite Genesis' commercials ever. :D

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Hard Corps is better, imo.

But Contra 3 is very good too.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

the best contra game.AtariKidX

No, that's the NES Contra. ;)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]the best contra game.nameless12345

No, that's the NES Contra. ;)

Super C is better than the original NES contra imo :P
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
Hardcorps, it has Contra with a it of Metal Slug style gameplay in it. I find that to be a good thing since both series lack some features that the other has.