Connecting Play Station 2 to my TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

takaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 takaia
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I can't get my new (I bought it used) PS2 to work on my TV. I'm fairly certain that I have all the cables hooked up right: The AV cables are plugged into the back of the PS2 and into the red white and yellow jacks on the TV, and the power cable is plugged into a power strip that is most definitely on, and I have a controller plugged in. I guess my problem is that I can't get the game to show up on my TV (I have Final Fantasy X). I've tried every single channel that the TV will go to and it still won't show up. I don't have a remote control for it, and the only buttons on the front are menu volume up and down, and channel up and down. I'm also pretty sure I've tried all of the options under menu, looking for something useful, but didn't find anything. Any ideas? Oh, and the PS2 is on, there is a green light on the power button. Thanks!
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Hm. If your tv is new enough perhaps it isn't accepting the vga input? Maybe buying hd component cables would fix the problem, but it's a long stretch. Sorry I can't be of more help.

takaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 takaia
I'm pretty sure my TV is kinda old, I got it because I just moved into an apartment and the last tenants left it here. Thanks for trying to help though!
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Every channel? Umm... you need to switch video modes (and most likely the button is on the remote, or under a flip type panel on the TV, somewhere.) Depending on what input you plugged the PS2 in... it'll be "video 1", "video 2", video-something.

And if the TV is so old it doesn't have that (or it's on the remote that you said you don't have.), then you need to get one of those RF modulators, so to hook up the PS2 via the coax cable input. And then you can do the channel 3 or 4 thing. But the picture is likely to be beyond louzy with interference lines squiggling all over the place.

Like: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

takaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 takaia
Thank you. I was just thinking I might be able to get a universal remote that will allow me to get into a video mode.
izdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 izdan
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

my ps2 works on video 1 or 2

morphies_emu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 morphies_emu
Member since 2006 • 260 Posts

Try checking that the AV cables are plugged in properly (pushed in fully) to the back of the PS2. If that doesnt work it might be like the others said and the PS2 channel is video 1 or video 2

bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

Your TV isn't in the proper video mode like the others said. When using VGA inputs on a television, you can only see/hear what you've hooked up in different video modes. You won't just find the input on a channel. You need the remote (a lot of older TVs that just started to introduce VGA input don't have the actual video mode button on the tv set itself, usually it's on the remote).

You'll need an RF modulator (I bought one a couple years back at radio shack for $30) or a new tv.

Probably on the market somewhere is an alternate output cable for the PS2, with a cable connector on the end instead of the 3 VGA pins. Similar to what you used on a NES or SNES but probably tough to find except online.

takaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 takaia
I went out and bought an RF modulator for $8 at WalMart. Connected that up, and finally discovered that my TV is broken anyways. I got a new TV on freecycle and it works well. Thank you for all of your suggestions!