Compilation of sources for buying legacy games and systems

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

I see numerous threads of people asking where to find this game or that system, so I want to compile a list of all sites that buy, sell, trade, etc and hopefully get it stickied. If anyone has any other sites or suggestions, please let me know.

INTERNET:

Ebay

Half (A subsidiary of Ebay, but not an auction based site.)

Amazon

Game Gavel (Similar to Ebay, but designed more for gaming.)

eStarland

Atari 2600 (Great selection of legacy systems and games.)

Cheap Ass Gamer (Not a store, but you can interact with people on the forums to do trades/sales/etc as well as find good deals.)

Game TZ (Similar to Cheap Ass Gamer.)

Goozex (Another site similar to Cheap Ass Gamer.)

JJ Games

Craigslist

Collector's Cards & Games

Lukie Games

DK Oldies

Game Dude

Stone Age Gamer

Play Asia (Japanese imports.)

LOCAL:

Flea Markets

Garage Sales

Newspaper (or place an add saying you're looking for games/systems/etc.)

Pawn Shops

Thrift Shops

Use Music Shops (Not all do, but some)

A1 Game Exchange and VIP Game Store (Local location only for the Boise, Idaho area.)

Cap'n Games (Don't know much about this site, but they do sell legacy games online and they have a store in Reno, Nevada)

Xbox 360 Arcade / PlayStation Network / Wii Virtual Console (Great places to find some retro games.)

FOR THE FOLKS IN EUROPE:

Retro Games

Genki Video Games (Only deals with Japanese imports.)

Console Passion

OTHER:

Briel Computers (Sells replicas of older computers if you enjoy those systems.)

Disc Replay (Locations in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan if you're in the area.)

kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
this guy is pretty much the man. never an issue. http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htm
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shidira
[QUOTE="kit352"]this guy is pretty much the man. never an issue. http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htm

Thanks for the link.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well, here are a few UK based game shop websites

www.retrogames.co.uk

decent pricing and you can also trade games for either money or credit you can use in the shop (he gives more credit then money)

www.genkivideogames.co.uk

a shop that deals only in Japanese import games for various systems (mostly retro, but some new ones too), good pricing , and the games are always in excellent condition (more so then other shops). They also sell consoles and quite a few gaming accessories which were released only in Japan.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk

another good website dealing in retro games and systems.

obviously these are all UK based, so its more for European gamers

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shidira

well, here are a few UK based game shop websites

www.retrogames.co.uk

decent pricing and you can also trade games for either money or credit you can use in the shop (he gives more credit then money)

a shop that deals only in Japanese import games for various systems (mostly retro, but some new ones too), good pricing , and the games are always in excellent condition (more so then other shops). They also sell consoles and quite a few gaming accessories which were released only in Japan.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk

another good website dealing in retro games and systems.

obviously these are all UK based, so its more for European gamers

Darkman2007
No problem, I'll just put them under a UK section. Thanks for the links!
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Dunno if this is meant to be console only? But Briel Computers sell replicas of computers from the 1970s. They currently make the Replica 1 (Apple 1), Micro-KIM (MOS/Commodore Kim), and the Altair 8800 micro (MITS Altair 8800). I actually own the Altair 8800 micro, and have a Replica 1 on the way. Amazing stuff if you're in to old school computing. http://www.brielcomputers.com/
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shidira
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]Dunno if this is meant to be console only? But Briel Computers sell replicas of computers from the 1970s. They currently make the Replica 1 (Apple 1), Micro-KIM (MOS/Commodore Kim), and the Altair 8800 micro (MITS Altair 8800). I actually own the Altair 8800 micro, and have a Replica 1 on the way. Amazing stuff if you're in to old school computing. http://www.brielcomputers.com/

I'll put it in a section called "Other" for those who do want them. Thank you for the link!
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shidira
Please bump if you want this stickied. Thank you!
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shidira
Shameless bump
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

this guy is pretty much the man. never an issue. http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htmkit352

His prices are insane. I use http://www.lukiegames.com/

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shidira

[QUOTE="kit352"]this guy is pretty much the man. never an issue. http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htmkittensRjerks

His prices are insane. I use http://www.lukiegames.com/

Awesome, thanks!
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
How about Play N Trade? I've bumped into a majority of them, pretty dang good people work there, but it's a franchise, so you will most likely get different prices and such but it's another store to keep in mind. :) One thing I do like about their store, is the fact of rebuffing of CDs, console repair, and all games have cases. :) They also sell pretty recent stuff as well.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

For getting retro games online I usually use trading sites like gametz.com and goozex.com.

I much prefer GameTZ but if you're smart on using the points system from Goozex, you can grab some great deals there too.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shidira

How about Play N Trade? I've bumped into a majority of them, pretty dang good people work there, but it's a franchise, so you will most likely get different prices and such but it's another store to keep in mind. :) One thing I do like about their store, is the fact of rebuffing of CDs, console repair, and all games have cases. :) They also sell pretty recent stuff as well.rwallacefan
Thank you for the info, but that would be something similar to GameStop that deal in only the more recent stuff, and since just about anyone can find that, I'm trying to keep it to stuff you can't just find in regular stores.

For getting retro games online I usually use trading sites like gametz.com and goozex.com.

I much prefer GameTZ but if you're smart on using the points system from Goozex, you can grab some great deals there too.

AcidSoldner

Thank you for the links, they're added!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I've got most of my N64 games at Disc Replay. The one by has pretty good prices on NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GB/C/GBA, and Genesis games. Mine doesn't carry Saturn games, I guess because the boxes take up too much space.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Used music shops generally have used video games as well. I get a lot of my games from one here locally, and from ones in the Bay Area and Reno, both of which I visit about once a year.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shidira

I've got most of my N64 games at Disc Replay. The one by has pretty good prices on NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GB/C/GBA, and Genesis games. Mine doesn't carry Saturn games, I guess because the boxes take up too much space.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Awesome, thanks for the link! I posted it under "Other" since it's only in certain locations.

Used music shops generally have used video games as well. I get a lot of my games from one here locally, and from ones in the Bay Area and Reno, both of which I visit about once a year.

Emerald_Warrior

Good tip, I placed it under "Local". Thank you.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

http://www.dkoldies.com/

They are good for NES, SNES, Genesis games.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shidira

http://www.dkoldies.com/

They are good for NES, SNES, Genesis games.

kittensRjerks
Awesome, thank you very much. It's now in the list.
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

Thank you! Excellent thread!!

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

More great Internet sites:

http://www.gamedude.com/

http://stoneagegamer.com/

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shidira

More great Internet sites:

http://www.gamedude.com/

http://stoneagegamer.com/

Emerald_Warrior
Great links! Added and thank you!

Thank you! Excellent thread!!

fadeetoblackk
Thank you very much. Hope to get this stickied so people will have good sources.
cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

For those that have Wiis and internet access, the Virtual Console (WiiShop) is always good for buying some retro games, and I buy the rest of my games at independant retro game stores in my area, which I had never even known about until a few months ago, so it's always good for any retro gamers to see if there's any indie stores near them.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shidira

For those that have Wiis and internet access, the Virtual Console (WiiShop) is always good for buying some retro games, and I buy the rest of my games at independant retro game stores in my area, which I had never even known about until a few months ago, so it's always good for any retro gamers to see if there's any indie stores near them.

cronomagus36
Ah yes, good point crono. The VC does have some good retro games. Thanks for mentioning it!
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="cronomagus36"]

Shidira

Ah yes, good point crono. The VC does have some good retro games. Thanks for mentioning it!

Well if you want to consider the VC then you might as well put down Xbox Live Arcade and PSN. XBLA has quite a few ports and PSN has a Neo Geo section and PS1 cla$$ics. If you have a Japanese or Hong Kong PSN account then you also have access to some PC Engine games.

The Japanese and HK PSN store might also carry compilations of games from other retro consoles but I'm not sure so I'll check it out.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

a1 game exchange located in boise on fair view they are almost like a pawnshop but not so cause they also sell new stuff ,

they sell dvds vhses blurays and video games as well as strategy guides for games, etc , pretty much any system they do not sell new ps3s etc though only used systems

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner

Darkman2007

Just checked this place out and it's awesome! Any idea if they ship to the U.S.?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet? A great source of information on buying games like this shouldn't be lost to the annals of time.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shidira

Well if you want to consider the VC then you might as well put down Xbox Live Arcade and PSN. XBLA has quite a few ports and PSN has a Neo Geo section and PS1 cla$$ics. If you have a Japanese or Hong Kong PSN account then you also have access to some PC Engine games.

The Japanese and HK PSN store might also carry compilations of games from other retro consoles but I'm not sure so I'll check it out.AcidSoldner

Thanks. I have them posted under "Local".

a1 game exchange located in boise on fair view they are almost like a pawnshop but not so cause they also sell new stuff , they sell dvds vhses blurays and video games as well as strategy guides for games, etc , pretty much any system they do not sell new ps3s etc though only used systemsmariokart64fan

Thanks for the post, I placed it under "Local" since I couldn't find a website for it and it's only for those in that specific location.

Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet? A great source of information on buying games like this shouldn't be lost to the annals of time.Emerald_Warrior

Thanks for the bump, much appreciated.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

AcidSoldner

Just checked this place out and it's awesome! Any idea if they ship to the U.S.?

yes they do , though obviously since they are based in the UK , shipping will cost more. though yes, the selection they have is great, and their service is 2nd to none, they will usually post the game the same day if you order before 3pm.
superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

im gunna bookmark this

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fadeetoblackk

everyday this is not stickied a small child is forced to play ET.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darkman2007

fadeetoblackk
to be fair to the guy who created ET , Atari forced him to finish the game in 4 weeks, when he really needed a few months. it was the same guy who made Yar's Revenge and Indiana Jones on the 2600, which are both good games (Yar is great fun especially), so he is talented. though I agree this thread needs to be stickied to end the countless "where to buy games" threads.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

A1 is the best. thats where i got my NES games, accessories and genesis controller because down didnt work on my old one

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bigM10231

heres another classic game store in boise called VIP games

http://www.vipgamestore.com/(owned by the person who owned the video games at ABU boise)

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shidira

fadeetoblackk
HAHA that's awesome.

heres another classic game store in boise called VIP games

http://www.vipgamestore.com/(owned by the person who owned the video games at ABU boise)

bigM10231
Thank you for the link. I placed it next to A1 in the "Local" section.
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fadeetoblackk

[QUOTE="fadeetoblackk"]

Darkman2007

to be fair to the guy who created ET , Atari forced him to finish the game in 4 weeks, when he really needed a few months. it was the same guy who made Yar's Revenge and Indiana Jones on the 2600, which are both good games (Yar is great fun especially), so he is talented. though I agree this thread needs to be stickied to end the countless "where to buy games" threads.

you WOULD know that. =D and that is why I follow your S*** you know everything. endless inforrmationnnnnnnnn

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

yes they do , though obviously since they are based in the UK , shipping will cost more. though yes, the selection they have is great, and their service is 2nd to none, they will usually post the game the same day if you order before 3pm.

So much good stuff on there!:shock:

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shidira

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"] Just checked this place out and it's awesome! Any idea if they ship to the U.S.?

AcidSoldner

So much good stuff on there!:shock:

Agreed!
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shidira
bump
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shidira
bump
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bigM10231

http://www.play-asia.com/(online game store)http://www.play-asia.com/

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shidira

http://www.play-asia.com/(online game store)http://www.play-asia.com/

bigM10231
Yes, thank you very much. Forgot about that site.
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shidira
bump
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shidira
bump
Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

http://atari2600.com/

These guys have pretty big selection

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shidira

http://atari2600.com/

These guys have pretty big selection

Videogamefan123
Thank you for the great link, edited into the list!
Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shidira
bump
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fadeetoblackk

BUmp Bump bump! ohh yeahh.

STICKY! he put hard work into this and it is much needed!