Classic Games/ Systems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bamafan3414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 bamafan3414
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
Hey guys I have just gotten into gaming and I wanna play some of the classic games and systems but i dont know where to start. Like which classic system should i get and which games for it?
Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
SNES without a doubt. Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy II, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3, Kirby Superstar Saga, Yoshi's Island. That should be a good start.
fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
I have to agree with hammer of thor, get a SNES and grab LoZ. If want a game that kicks your ass, but isstill funget Super Ghouls and Ghosts.
BuddaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BuddaX
Member since 2004 • 2583 Posts
You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

Sega Megadrive/Genesis is a must as well.

Road Rash series, Strike series, Streets of Rage series, Phantasy Star series, Sonic series, Space Harrier II, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania, Dynamite Headdy, Micro Machines series etc etc.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zeus_gb
You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.BuddaX
Nothing beats the real thing.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
I've never heard of anyone not playing SNES... best console ever made imo.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I'm appalled that no one has recommended the NES yet. What's wrong with you people?

Anyway, the SNES is another good choice, as are more recent systems like the PSX or N64. However, unless you're looking to get into collecting I'd suggest just buying a Wii since it will make loading up on games much easier now that the only place to find old games with much luck is ebay.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

[QUOTE="BuddaX"]You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.zeus_gb

True, but the pocketbook would disagree. Either pick up a Genesis, NES, and SNES to start... or a Wii. Both are good options, although I'm a heavy retro-game collector myself and prefer the "real thing." ;)

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
Hmmm I'd recommend a N64 - Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario World 64, Mario Kart, DK, LOZ: OoT all great games.
BuddaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BuddaX

[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="BuddaX"]You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.Staryoshi87

True, but the pocketbook would disagree. Either pick up a Genesis, NES, and SNES to start... or a Wii. Both are good options, although I'm a heavy retro-game collector myself and prefer the "real thing." ;)

I think it really depends on what the TC is after. Does he/she want to become a collector? Or does he/she simply want to play the games of yesteryear?

nothing wrong with having the roms, as long as you get to play the essentials.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zeus_gb
[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="BuddaX"]You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.BuddaX

I think it really depends on what the TC is after. Does he/she want to become a collector? Or does he/she simply want to play the games of yesteryear?

ROMS are illegal unless you own the original.
BuddaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BuddaX
[QUOTE="BuddaX"][QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="BuddaX"]You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.zeus_gb

The roms you download from the Virtual Console. Read the whole conversation.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeus_gb
[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="BuddaX"][QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="BuddaX"]You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.BuddaX

The roms you download from the Virtual Console. Read the whole conversation.

Sorry but you didn't mention VC. Are they actual ROMS that run on an emulator or are they actually converted to play on the Wii?
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts
You might be well off to buy a Wii. The Vitrual Console aspect of the system(classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, And Turbo Grafix 16 games) is a great way to get into classic gaming. It's all right there at your finger tips just waiting to be downloaded.BuddaX
I'm not so sure. I tried some VC games out on a friend's Wii, and the control was atrocious. The sideways-wiimote didn't work worth a damn and the GC d-pad is useless. I haven't tried the classic controller (because my friend doesn't have one), but unless it works really well, I'd say the original system/controller is the way to go when playing older games.
bamafan3414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 bamafan3414
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
Ok thanks guys for the help
-Prime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Prime-
Member since 2006 • 964 Posts
Get an NES - Destiny Of An Emperor, SMB 1/2/3, Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Metroid, Turtles II (Arcade Game), Double Dragon, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, etc.
chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chisoxrule
Member since 2005 • 2096 Posts

I'm not so sure. I tried some VC games out on a friend's Wii, and the control was atrocious. The sideways-wiimote didn't work worth a damn and the GC d-pad is useless. I haven't tried the classic controller (because my friend doesn't have one), but unless it works really well, I'd say the original system/controller is the way to go when playing older games.
Shifty_Pete

I enjoy myretro games as well and if you are willing to shell out some $, the VC is the way to go depending if you like the games that are available. I agree with you that the Wii-mote and GC pad are pretty useless with these games so I broke down and got a ****c controller for it so if you decide to get a Wii for the VC, the ****c controller is a must.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

If you just want to play the classic games as opposed to collecting them, the Virtual Console on the Wii is the way to go. You'll miss out on Square-Enix games, since they seem to prefer doing remakes of their games rather than rerelease them, but aside from that you won't miss out on too much that's worth playing. You'll have access to NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, and N64 games and very likely Neo-Geo games in the future.

While you may spend a little bit more for most of the NES games at $5 a game,the other games will come out to be the same price you'd pay for a real copy, or evenless in some cases.Besidesyou'd spend over $100 just to get those systems individually(not counting the Neo-Geo), and you don't have to worry about these consoles breaking down due to age.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

SNES console with Zombies Ate My Neighbors. That's my favorite game ever so I highly recommend it.

Or if you wanna try a variety get a Wii and play some virtual console games. There's plenty to choose from.