Challenge vs Fun?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Caemyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Caemyr
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts

I have a question...do people out there prefer fun games, challenging games or a game that incorporates both? I personally find challenging games to actually be fun. I like the challenge, and I enjoy making progress by overcoming adverse, challenging situations. My friend, who is a casual gamer, says he plays just for fun, but he plays the same games I do (since he doesn't have a computer and he plays on mine). I think games can be both, I just wondered what other people liked, and/or what their outlook on challenging vs fun was. I probably haven't "voiced" this too well, sorry.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I prefer the game to be easy than challenge, if i want challenge, then i raise the difficulity.
MJoanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MJoanne
Member since 2004 • 782 Posts

Give me fun every time - I can find enough challenges in real life!

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I play for fun. I guess I like a little bit of difficulty so that it's not just a straight run-through. But, if there's an area where I continually die, I don't like it. To me, retrying levels is not fun at all. Making games extremely difficult is something I consider to be partially lazy programming, honestly.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I prefer the perfect balance between the two. Fun comes always first tho, I wouldn't be playing if a game wasn't fun.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

You know, I don't think those 2 things are ever in competition. It isn't like those 2 things are inversely related.

When you bring that up though, the first game that came to mind was Bioshock, a game where losing is impossible and shooting dudes in the face isn't done very well at all. That is a game where a lack of challenge totally destroyed any chance I had of having fun. When there is no penalty for doing bad, it's hard to care about what you are doing in the game.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

I like a good balance between the two, While I do enjoy a challenge, i only like it to a point. If a game gets too challenging, to me it is no longer fun. Like someone mentioned as an example above, a boss that is too difficult or an area where I continually die, or a mission that I just can't seem to pass no matter how many times I try (one particular assassination in Assassings Creed comes to mind. I still haven't managed to kill the guy)

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I like a game that's fairly challenging, but of course some games can go way too far. It has a lot to do with the design - some games I get killed a lot but I want to try again right away because I know that if I improve my tactics and make less mistakes, I can beat it. But other games screw it up - They're hard, but it feels like more a matter of luck than anything. I really don't enjoy games that are easy, they're too simple, boring, and they just don't require any effort or reward you with any sense of accomplishment.

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

A game like SW:TFU jumps to mind. Most of the game is pretty easy. especially later on, but,it's fun in that star wars way. but, And you know where I going befor I say it, dragging that Star Destroyer out of the sky took me an hour and a half... not joking. first few attempts I died.the next few attempts i got frustrated and left the game.

then, later, i tried some more. and it was this sesseion of a straight hour twiddling those disastrous thumb stick pictures until the blasted thing dropped. It's an infuriating experience that almost, almost spoils the game. And it's a simple concept really, but those terriblethumbstick pormptsare just deadly. i'd have prefered arrows, or anything to make it clearer as to where and when you're supposed to push and pull the destroyer...

but, as soon as the sucker comes down, you get back to it... i actually think the game is very good.

The nextone that annoyed the hell outta em at the time was RAAM at the end of gears... the rest of the game was a bit a of a cake walk and a lot of fun once i got the hang of the cover system. but RAAM was a goddam nightmare.I could see the pattern, but just kept getting chopped to bits by his insane weapon, or the Kryll. and Dom, WTF is up with that guy? lol he's a dumb a$$ lol. but, i got it done with the boomshot sniper rifle combo in the end. but, i almost gave up... almost.

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

I like a good balance between the two, While I do enjoy a challenge, i only like it to a point. If a game gets too challenging, to me it is no longer fun. Like someone mentioned as an example above, a boss that is too difficult or an area where I continually die, or a mission that I just can't seem to pass no matter how many times I try (one particular assassination in Assassings Creed comes to mind. I still haven't managed to kill the guy)

92GreenYJ
This. You need the balance. Some games are ruined by their sheer difficulty.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Fun for me.

Real life is hard enough as it is. I don't need my video games on extreme difficulty as well.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
[QUOTE="Odnomiar"]

A game like SW:TFU jumps to mind. Most of the game is pretty easy. especially later on, but,it's fun in that star wars way. but, And you know where I going befor I say it, dragging that Star Destroyer out of the sky took me an hour and a half... not joking. first few attempts I died.the next few attempts i got frustrated and left the game.

then, later, i tried some more. and it was this sesseion of a straight hour twiddling those disastrous thumb stick pictures until the blasted thing dropped. It's an infuriating experience that almost, almost spoils the game. And it's a simple concept really, but those terriblethumbstick pormptsare just deadly. i'd have prefered arrows, or anything to make it clearer as to where and when you're supposed to push and pull the destroyer...

but, as soon as the sucker comes down, you get back to it... i actually think the game is very good.

Oh man, I forgot about that. That thing took me forever to get thru too! On my second play thru the second I got to that part of the game I though, "oh boy, here goes another three hours of my life"
wayleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wayleo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

For game, for fun, for life. I think challenge is a kind of fun we can't experience in reality

Avatar image for Midnight_Winter
Midnight_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Midnight_Winter
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts
I guess that the challenge itself could be what produces the fun. But if the level of challenge is too high, then the game isn't fun anymore, and the same could be said about the game lacking too much challenge. ;)
bloodyclutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 bloodyclutch
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
A game that is about the gamplay would not be fun without a challenge. A game that is about the story, however, I want to be really easy so that the gameplay does not take away fron the story.
ProHippoClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ProHippoClever
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts
Challenge=Fun
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

There are games that mix the two perfectly, like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. When my friends played it, they died over and over and over again, but they still enjoyed it to an extent that they played it for 2 days straight. (On easy)

I, on the other hand, am trying to beat it on Samurai (hardest) difficulty. It's not really difficult in the sense that the enemies are too cheap or too punishing, it's just the fact that when the difficulty rises, the less hits it takes to kill you.

Uhh, sorry for my ramble. :lol:

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

There are games that mix the two perfectly, like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. When my friends played it, they died over and over and over again, but they still enjoyed it to an extent that they played it for 2 days straight. (On easy)

I, on the other hand, am trying to beat it on Samurai (hardest) difficulty. It's not really difficult in the sense that the enemies are too cheap or too punishing, it's just the fact that when the difficulty rises, the less hits it takes to kill you.

I love the Dishwasher.... But when ever I hear "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!" i cringe.....
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

Odnomiar

I love the Dishwasher.... But when ever I hear "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!" i cringe.....

Yeah, the lack of enemy variety is one of it's flaws, but it's still awesome nonetheless. :P

But I think I got killed by the Freaks more than anything else.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Challenge vs. Fun...what's the difference? If you like challenging games, then it shouldmean that you have fun with them, right?

War_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 War_Fox
Member since 2006 • 402 Posts

Challenge vs. Fun...what's the difference? If you like challenging games, then it shouldmean that you have fun with them, right?

King9999
i agree. i don't enjoy easy games. for me, if it's not challenging, it typically doesn't have much reply value.
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Mostly they go together, but sometimes games are too hard to be fun. It becomes a chore, and once video games are comprable to taking out garbage or mopping, they are no longer fun.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#24 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Fun. That's why we play games...

That having been said, if it's too easy, it's probably no as much fun. But I'd rather have fun with an easy game than be frustrated with an overly challenging game.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Hard as possible. Playing COD WAW now on hardest setting, and loving the challenge. Even though I spent hours trying to get to one checkpoint yesterday, it's so much more fun and rewarding than breezing thru it.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer playing fun games i haven't got the patience to play challenging games anymore.

Mrha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mrha
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I go for a mix. Some games (like CoD) I'll play on Veteran and really push myself to beat the game. Challenging, frustrating, but somehow rewarding. I need a break though when I get too frustrated, so I like to have some flat out fun games (ex. online multiplayer for Mercs 2) and just relax a bit.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

both really... challenge is when im bored and fun when i want to have fun

virus1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 virus1000
Member since 2009 • 10187 Posts

Fun of course :D

I usually play games on easy.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
A game needs to be challenging for me to enjoy it. How much effort I put into getting better at a game, depends on how much I enjoy it. I beat Ninja Gaiden when it was first released on Xbox. That was one tough game. Getting good at it took a lot of practice and patience. The original NG on Xbox didn't have Ninja Dog (easy) difficulty, so if you reached a hard part you had to keep trying or give up. I think most people gave up. I liked the game enough to want to keep at it and reach the end. I also beat NG2 on Warrior and NGB on Hard. On the other hand, I've been playing Brutal Legend recently. I got to the RTS fights on Brutal difficulty but found it quite hard. I wasn't enjoying BL enough to make me want to keep trying to beat it on Brutal so I dropped it down to Normal. Normal was still a decent challenge, though. I don't intend to ever play Brutal Legend again.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Fun. Sometimes that comes from the challenge. I won't play a game if I only get frustrated right?

CaptRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CaptRex
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

I love chalenges and it is fun ^^