Cartridges or Discs?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hhcash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 hhcash
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

Which are better?

Cartridges are normally big and ugly and hard to store but normally remain in good condition (especially DS games).
Discs are easy to store and cool looking, but break just by putting it into a console. (Don't say I don't take care of my discs... I got Bioshock a week ago, took good care of it, and now it's really laggy and messed up for some reason).

What do you guys think?

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts
i dont think the lagging is from the disc... i think its more the 360 that makes it lag. but yeah i kinda miss cartridges, but i dont think you can fit as much data on them as you can discs.
F1freak660

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 F1freak660
Member since 2006 • 579 Posts
Depends on the size. Fohandhelds, I like cartiges like the GBA or even the DS. But for consoles, discs are better
CJNINTENDO1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CJNINTENDO1
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
they both have there ups and down cds get scratches but i still prefer them;)
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
I'd love to see a return to carts. A few years ago they got around to making brilliant carts that were tiny and had amazing storage space. Like upwards of 60 gigs. Unfortunately they're hella expensive and would put the price of games through the roof.
markbelford22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 markbelford22
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Hmm its a tough call. I take good care of my disks but they still get scratched. Once that happens its gone unless toothpaste works. With a cartridge all you have to do is blow out the dust. Works like a charm every time.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
The future of media is "cartridges" though its better called flash media.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
Mabye they should just get rid of disks and all that alltogether, and store games on little mini hdd's, like a flash card.
Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
The future of media is "cartridges" though its better called flash media.XaosII

yup but it will depend on the cost of flash memory in the next years. In my opinion, every console in the future could had some storage space, and the games installed fully in the console, with no o fewer need for the console to read the disks.

but talking about nowadays, I would go with cartridges, GBA's Pak and DS's Cards.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#10 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I verymuch prefer cartridges. Tehy don't scratch, and there are almost no load times
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
Cartridges are better in every single way except cost. There really isn't a debate.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Disks and cartridges both have their advantages and disadvantages,but I prefer disks.A bit more convenient to store.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
Nah, the future of media is digital downloads. In 10 years, NO ONE will use physical media, except possibly Nintendo (they're weird like that).
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Truewiseblade
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
Digital downloads>Cartrdges>>>>>>everything else. Those two are the best way to store any game. Carts can have way better art then a disc and are far more durable. DD only tops it bacause it frees up physical space and is safer (in terms of damage).
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Digital Distribution>Cartridges>Discs

Agreed. No loading for the win!!!

NinjaBlade753

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 NinjaBlade753
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts
Thats like asking wheter VHS or Discs are better. The awnsers are so painfully obvious.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
Well, discs store a lot more data so I'll always prefer them, but I have heard that cartridges load faster.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Well I like both and really wouldnt care for which one to use. I would just use a cd
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
The biggest advantage of cartridges/cartridge based systems is their durability. Anything with cycling parts such as an optical drive will eventually break. Everyone's CD or DVD drives will fail at some point.
OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts
In the future, everything will be sold on flash media. Hopefully the next generation's consoles will move to this format instead of uselessly enormous high-definition discs.
mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
I like discs because the games can have more things in it and it thin, with the cartridge it's balky and your limited to what youcan put on it.
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AtomicTangerine

Well, discs store a lot more data so I'll always prefer them, but I have heard that cartridges load faster.MKHavoc

Discs don't hold more data. You could make a cartridge the size of a Blu-Ray disc. The only problem is the cost to do that. There isn't more space on discs, it is just much less expensive to have 10 GB on a disc than in a cartridge.

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 strayzilla

I like discs because the games can have more things in it and it thin, with the cartridge it's balky and your limited to what youcan put on it.mosa922

Uh the last carts I saw on discovery were 2/3 the size of a credit card and about 5 cards thick and held about 60 gigs. Not exactly bulky.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#25 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

cartridges and to those who complain it cant hold alot sure it cant but lets compare older games on cart that has had more levels etc on it than the succesor that has been on dvd\

the most noticable one is perfect dark zero six characters alot less guns and levels and missions , compare that to its prodecessor which is on a n64 cartridge

next , i will go with any 007 game made after goldeneye, goldeneye had 20 missions each with 3 difficulty settings plus a bonus self edited setting and 13 multiplayer levels , lots of guns and characters compare to any ea bond game you want, you wont find any better then it as far as things on media

compare halo to goldeneye again not as impressive

what else is there to compare. hmm rush 2 to rush la lol

my point is why have the space and not use it,

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PitaGriffin
Member since 2006 • 1470 Posts
I think discs give games that "high quality" feeling, in terms of being clear, and most of all good graphics. When I think of cartridges, I think of bad N64 graphics. When I think of discs, I think of smooth-running games, like DOA.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts

Which are better?

Cartridges are normally big and ugly and hard to store but normally remain in good condition (especially DS games).
Discs are easy to store and cool looking, but break just by putting it into a console. (Don't say I don't take care of my discs... I got Bioshock a week ago, took good care of it, and now it's really laggy and messed up for some reason).

What do you guys think?

hhcash

you need to clear the cache before playing Bioshock.

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
Carts and discs are equal to me right now, but in the future definitely carts (unless they make discs much less scratchable and completely rot free). Right now carts last longer in the short term, but if you use them a lot they will damage to the point of not working like badly scratched discs. I certainly don't want to see a future of digital downloads, that would be the worst thing that could ever happen.
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AtomicTangerine

I think discs give games that "high quality" feeling, in terms of being clear, and most of all good graphics. When I think of cartridges, I think of bad N64 graphics. When I think of discs, I think of smooth-running games, like DOA.PitaGriffin

Hm... That's funny, because when I think of discs, I think of low polygon counts and long loading screens like on the Playstation, and when I think of cartridges, I think of huge, expansive worlds like in Ocarina of Time in which you never had a loading screen and could see from one end of the world to the other.

Discs are worse in every possible way except cost. If anything is ghetto from a technological standpoint, it's the disc.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
It's definitely one avenue I'd like the console companies to explore. Obviously there is the issue of capacity at the moment but eventually I see this technology replacing hard drives etc because their transfer rates are far beyond any disk-based drive (hard drive, DVD or CD). Also it would be a nice change from the usual round plastic things we currently use and, like cartridges, you wouldn't need to worry about scratches with flash media :D
jcbis2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 jcbis2005
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
discs is the best way to because to can storge them better then cartridges
readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts

discs is the best way to because to can storge them better then cartridgesjcbis2005

But with the advancements they are making in respect ot flash media, cartridges may be on the rise again. I can only see Nintendo adopting them though tbh.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
digital downloads can BITE ME. i like being able to resell my games. i will be so pissed when that day comes. and i prefer the more durable cartridges, however only when they are cost effective.
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts

Music on cartirdge...meep...meep meep...beep

Music on disc...superb orchestral score...superb orchestral score...whirr scree bang there goes the disc

cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts

I loved cartridges... especially the "blowing" into them (the old ones)... but discs are going to be around for a long time...

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Discs, obviously, even with all its scratching, cleaning, and maintenence.

Cartridges are the idea, IMO, for portable gaming, even though PSP games would be impossible or just to expensive without UMDs.

Discs just hold more memory and makes better games.

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 strayzilla
No they don't. No one can seem to wrap their heads around the fact that technology for carts is beyond what it was years ago. Carts hold more, and are more durable. There's only ONE downside. The price. A disc costs less than a buck, and a cart would cost 30 + times that.
newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 newhenpal
Member since 2005 • 2159 Posts

Music on disc...superb orchestral score...superb orchestral score...whirr scree bang there goes the disc

james28893

1. I haven't heard of music on cartridges, cassetes but not cartridges.

2. Technology has advanced SO much, get out of the n64 days, it's 2007.

3. why do you think there were so many games for the ps1? MONEY and the fact that they were cheap to manufacture.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dencore

james28893

Wow glad that my MP3 player sounds like Road Runner from Looney Tunes.

Cartridges are the idea, IMO, for portable gaming, even though PSP games would be impossible or just to expensive without UMDs.

ASK_Story

But what if you had a 40 GB Cartridge and a 40 GB Disc and they are both cheap to manufacture?

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PitaGriffin
Member since 2006 • 1470 Posts

[QUOTE="PitaGriffin"]I think discs give games that "high quality" feeling, in terms of being clear, and most of all good graphics. When I think of cartridges, I think of bad N64 graphics. When I think of discs, I think of smooth-running games, like DOA.AtomicTangerine

Hm... That's funny, because when I think of discs, I think of low polygon counts and long loading screens like on the Playstation, and when I think of cartridges, I think of huge, expansive worlds like in Ocarina of Time in which you never had a loading screen and could see from one end of the world to the other.

Discs are worse in every possible way except cost. If anything is ghetto from a technological standpoint, it's the disc.

Well, I was thinking of the newer games that have come out more recently. Cartridges are only on older systems, except for the DS. There's a reason game developers and all home systems use discs now: because they're better from a technological point of view.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="james28893"]

Dencore

Wow glad that my MP3 player sounds like Road Runner from Looney Tunes.

ASK_Story

But what if you had a 40 GB Cartridge and a 40 GB Disc and they are both cheap to manufacture?

No worries cuz` that will never happen. :P

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 selbie
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

ASK_Story

No worries cuz` that will never happen. :P

By 2009 the cost per Gb for flash will fall to about $9. Still nowhere near the price of disks but when you think about the almost instantaneous load times provided by flash media, it would be a worthy investment for companies like Nintendo which are making a profit on their console. As long as there is more investment in this technology it will eventually become as cheap as disks.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dencore

By 2009 the cost per Gb for flash will fall to about $9. Still nowhere near the price of disks but when you think about the almost instantaneous load times provided by flash media, it would be a worthy investment for companies like Nintendo which are making a profit on their console. As long as there is more investment in this technology it will eventually become as cheap as disks.selbie

Bingo.

GoldenSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GoldenSurfer
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts

digital downloads can BITE ME. i like being able to resell my games.i will be so pissed when that day comes. and i prefer the more durable cartridges, however only when they are cost effective.OneWingedAngeI

I totaly agree with this statment. It's great to be able to resell your games that you no longer want. With digital downloads you won't be able to do so.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="selbie"] By 2009 the cost per Gb for flash will fall to about $9. Still nowhere near the price of disks but when you think about the almost instantaneous load times provided by flash media, it would be a worthy investment for companies like Nintendo which are making a profit on their console. As long as there is more investment in this technology it will eventually become as cheap as disks.Dencore

Bingo.

Nintendo seems to prefer small, proprietary medium to large formats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with carts but unless disk technology stands still flash mediawill never catch up. 9 dollars a gigabyte is vastly more expensive than the costs of modern disks. Today, DVDs cost appoximately fifty cents to manufacture,andBlu-Ray and HD-DVD disks cost a little less than a dollar.

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/

ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
I prefer Discs over cartridges
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dencore

Nintendo seems to prefer small, proprietary medium to large formats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with carts but unless disk technology stands still flash mediawill never catch up. 9 dollars a gigabyte is vastly more expensive than the costs of modern disks. Today, DVDs cost appoximately fifty cents to manufacture,andBlu-Ray and HD-DVD disks cost a little less than a dollar.

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/

CarnageHeart

I think the point I'm trying to get across is that as time goes on flash media will only get cheaper and cheaper and holding more space. As of right now discs are better, but in 20 years or so flash media will become superior for the sheer fact that $9 per GB will slowly go down in price, thus making the price difference between the CD and Flash Media not big enough to not prefer the advantages of flash media such as lightning fast load times and durablity.

Basically I'm looking at the comparison in the long term when both medias have matured more so then comparing them as of right now.

I mean sure discs will always be able to store space but what's the need of having 80GB's of storage if you only need a fraction of that?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 selbie

I think the point I'm trying to get across is that as time goes on flash media will only get cheaper and cheaper and holding more space. As of right now discs are better, but in 20 years or so flash media will become superior for the sheer fact that $9 per GB will slowly go down in price, thus making the price difference between the CD and Flash Media not big enough to not prefer the advantages of flash media such as lightning fast load times and durablity.

Basically I'm looking at the comparison in the long term when both medias have matured more so then comparing them as of right now.

I mean sure discs will always be able to store space but what's the need of having 80GB's of storage if you only need a fraction of that?

Dencore
Exactly, most games never fill up a DVD disc so there's no point in expanding the capacity until it's needed. The Flash media will never replace HD/Bluray DVDs and Hard Drives but they will provide a perfect supplement when load times are an issue, eg. loading PC operating system, loading games etc. It's the obvious choice for consoles in the future.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

selbie

Exactly, most games never fill up a DVD disc so there's no point in expanding the capacity until it's needed. The Flash media will never replace HD/Bluray DVDs and Hard Drives but they will provide a perfect supplement when load times are an issue, eg. loading PC operating system, loading games etc. It's the obvious choice for consoles in the future.

So you are both assuming that the need for memory will be the same in 2027 as it is in 2007 and therefore allow flash media to make a big comeback? We'll see (eventually).

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 selbie

So you are both assuming that the need for memory will be the same in 2027 as it is in 2007 and therefore allow flash media to make a big comeback? We'll see (eventually).

CarnageHeart
Well I wasn't looking that far ahead :P Hopefully in the next 5-10 years the price of flash will be as cheap as disks today (assuming that the flash format becomes more widely used). I'd be surprised if a game size reaches beyond the 20Gb mark by that time.