Can't find a Wii - ANYWHERE!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PitaGriffin
Member since 2006 • 1470 Posts
My cousin found one at a Gamestop near his house, but I cannot find ONE now. I've called a lot of places, and they say "we're sold out". Is anyone else having this shortage of Wiis?! Same thing happened with the 360 - at least where I live.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
IMO, you're not missing much. Unless you're on a very nostalgic kick and some of the VC titles are making you anxious, the Wii's current library is repetitive and quickly forgotten. Not being able to find one right now might be a blessing in disguise. Wait till they are readily available and then pick one up. Hopefully by then they'll have moved beyond making mini-games and bad ports.
Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

IMO, you're not missing much. Unless you're on a very nostalgic kick and some of the VC titles are making you anxious, the Wii's current library is repetitive and quickly forgotten. Not being able to find one right now might be a blessing in disguise. Wait till they are readily available and then pick one up. Hopefully by then they'll have moved beyond making mini-games and bad ports.Velric

You are of course asuming that the inclusion of better titles being available will somehow slow down sales, and yet I feel they will increase, if anything.

I say get one as soon as is feasibly possible, we don't really have any idea when these shortages will cease.

Get_Shorty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Get_Shorty
Member since 2002 • 2834 Posts
Still?
PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PitaGriffin

[QUOTE="Velric"]IMO, you're not missing much. Unless you're on a very nostalgic kick and some of the VC titles are making you anxious, the Wii's current library is repetitive and quickly forgotten. Not being able to find one right now might be a blessing in disguise. Wait till they are readily available and then pick one up. Hopefully by then they'll have moved beyond making mini-games and bad ports.Mantorok

You are of course asuming that the inclusion of better titles being available will somehow slow down sales, and yet I feel they will increase, if anything.

I say get one as soon as is feasibly possible, we don't really have any idea when these shortages will cease.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#8 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

People are going flame me for this, but I still feel that the Wii is being artificially constrained.

And yea, my cousin wanted one, he called probably what was it... 8 stores within a 25 mile radius of his home. One Target just got 5 Wiis in literally 30 minutes before he called. By the time he got in his car and flew to the store, 3 were already gone.

So besides the fact that Nintendo can't seem to make/release enough consoles for the public, they are extremely popular still. I got mine out of sheer dumb luck I still believe.

Not that this makes you feel better, but something like... August is when most people think Wii's will be freely available.

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
Crazy.

They are all over the place here. The only time it was hard to find one was at launch
PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PitaGriffin

People are going flame me for this, but I still feel that the Wii is being artificially constrained.

And yea, my cousin wanted one, he called probably what was it... 8 stores within a 25 mile radius of his home. One Target just got 5 Wiis in literally 30 minutes before he called. By the time he got in his car and flew to the store, 3 were already gone.

So besides the fact that Nintendo can't seem to make/release enough consoles for the public, they are extremely popular still. I got mine out of sheer dumb luck I still believe.

Not that this makes you feel better, but something like... August is when most people think Wii's will be freely available.

SemiMaster
Yeah - they couldn't have made THE SAME MISTAKE "accidently" like the Xbox 360. It smells really fishy to me...
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

SemiMaster
Given the volume of systems moving, I still don't quite see how this is somehow some sort of artificial supply constrain issue at all, though.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Skylock00

Given the volume of systems moving, I still don't quite see how this is somehow some sort of artificial supply constrain issue at all, though.

While I personally have no proof, there is no proof to the contrary either.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

SemiMaster

What good would it do at this point? Even if supply contraint generates further hype, you usually want to cash in on that at some point. Usually sometime in the months following Christmas. The idea is to generate enough interest to create a steady flow of software sales into the next year. Why would they be purposefully constraining supply in June?

Keep in mind purposeful supply constraint slows sales. Why would you be doing that on purpose this far into the year? At this point, it's less about people desperate to get one... and more about some of them just giving up. And you're losing most potential impulse buys, something that should be a major advantage for the Wii.

Fact of the matter is that there's no tangible benefit to purposeful supply constraint, not in the middle of June. It was a valid theory maybe a few months ago, but come on, seven months after launch? I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to really stock up for the impending release of the first major post-launch title: Metroid Prime 3.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Since it launched I have never seen a Wii on a store shelf. Not one. Now, I haven't gone out of my way to find out when shipments arrive or anything like that, but it's still pretty incredible (and annoying) that they aren't more widely available this long after launch.

Then again, if I saw one on the shelf I'd probably buy it, so its shortage saves me money for the time being.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PitaGriffin
I don't remember a "shortage" happening with the original Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube. All of the companies probably wanted to do a test to see if they could sell more with more demand when there's no supply!
Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts

SemiMaster

Just becuase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

:D I kid I kid.

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
The problem Nintendo has now...They have probably the system that will end up selling the most(DS)...And the hottest thing since sliced bread(Wii). Unlike any company before...They have two systems to support:lol: To dominating systems. DS could break 50million by the end of this year. And Wii has a chance to even suceed the PS2's rate of adaption for the year
matt_da_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 matt_da_gamer
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts
I'm surprised that Wii's are still out of stock. You could try having a look on some internet sites, if not you may just have to order one.
Devoo55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Devoo55
Member since 2007 • 3006 Posts
Costco sells em.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I don't like the fact that they are still not out on shelves. Its just not good buisness. You would think all these months after release they would have settled down and got their consoles out on shelves for everybody to buy.
dj_b02us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dj_b02us
Member since 2003 • 154 Posts
i asked a guy a eb games and he said straight up that ppl throw em money to call them when the shipment comes in, plus they call their friends or whoever so they get 12 at 9 am and all are sold within less than 6 hours.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

My advice is to check out Comp USA. I've seen Wii's there more often than anywhere else. Not many mind you, but I think a lot of people forget to look at Com USA when they want one, and the average Comp USA shopper doesn't really care about them.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Velric
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Skylock00

Being currently employed by Gamestop, I would also toss my hat into the ring and say that Nintendo is intentionally holding back production. Financially, with the hype of the system and the constant sales of the meager availability it makes sense for Nintendo to hold back production to keep their stocks and profits at a constantly strong and increasing point.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Velric
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Oilers99

What good would it do at this point? Even if supply contraint generates further hype, you usually want to cash in on that at some point. Usually sometime in the months following Christmas. The idea is to generate enough interest to create a steady flow of software sales into the next year. Why would they be purposefully constraining supply in June?

Keep in mind purposeful supply constraint slows sales. Why would you be doing that on purpose this far into the year? At this point, it's less about people desperate to get one... and more about some of them just giving up. And you're losing most potential impulse buys, something that should be a major advantage for the Wii.

Fact of the matter is that there's no tangible benefit to purposeful supply constraint, not in the middle of June. It was a valid theory maybe a few months ago, but come on, seven months after launch? I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to really stock up for the impending release of the first major post-launch title: Metroid Prime 3.

Read my post slightly above this one. There is significant benefit to Nintento witholding production on their system.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PitaGriffin
I just called 15 more Gamestops, and none of them have it. ;)
Duckyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Duckyhunter
Member since 2003 • 4910 Posts
In my opinion, you're not missing much. The only games I currently own for said console are Twilight Princess and Wario Ware, the former of which is the only one I have spent more than a few hours with. I am looking forward to Paper Mario, but right now, the Xbox 360 consumes much more of my time.
Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts

Velric

Being currently employed by Gamestop, I would also toss my hat into the ring and say that Nintendo is intentionally holding back production. Financially, with the hype of the system and the constant sales of the meager availability it makes sense for Nintendo to hold back production to keep their stocks and profits at a constantly strong and increasing point.

But why does NPD publish very high Wii sales every month when intentional shortages would drastically reduce the figures to below those of other competing systems? Is there a conspiracy involving nintendo in coup with NPD to present false numbers?

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the shortage comes from unexpected demand. Nobody expected it to do this well..........in fact I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo themselves were rather surprised. Even 6 months after the holiday season it's still in high demand.

Seeing little slowdown by March probably should have been an indication to put Wii production in full throttle mode, but they may have been tentative to do so for fear of a demand dropoff so here we are in June with high demand and low supply. Is that the case? Hell if I know, I don't work for Nintendo. It's just a guess.

TenaciousD29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TenaciousD29
Member since 2006 • 666 Posts

[QUOTE="Velric"]IMO, you're not missing much. Unless you're on a very nostalgic kick and some of the VC titles are making you anxious, the Wii's current library is repetitive and quickly forgotten. Not being able to find one right now might be a blessing in disguise. Wait till they are readily available and then pick one up. Hopefully by then they'll have moved beyond making mini-games and bad ports.Mantorok

That advice makes no sense whatsoever unless you think that the demand for the Wii is exponentially increasing. It's not and it won't. Either Nintendo meets monthly demand or they don't and so far they haven't. When they do, you'll see it on shelves. Anyway, I have to agree with the poster before you. You aren't missing much for lacking a Wii at the moment. Not much at all.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i only saw a wii in one store that ive checked out. i guess nintendo is creating shortages
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="Velric"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

banjobear_basic

But why does NPD publish very high Wii sales every month when intentional shortages would drastically reduce the figures to below those of other competing systems? Is there a conspiracy involving nintendo in coup with NPD to present false numbers?

When I say shortage, I mean the console is not fairly distributed in certain areas of the US for instance. While I understand the major metropolitan areas are the highest priority, does 2 consoles every 2 or 3 weeks per store sound like a REALISTIC number? Because that's what my local Best Buy and Electronics Boutique have told me.

But most are going to Japan, duh. I don't doubt the sales are as high as they are, fanboys interpret what I'm saying as doubting. I am saying that the amount being leaked to the public are constrained simply to keep the interest high. OMG it's so hard to find, I gotta buy it just cuz' everyone's momma has one.

Thats how Nintendo is creating an artificial shortage. They clearly have the capabilities to pump the machine out, I mean how hard it is it to make last gen hardware with a controller that has an accelerometer and IR transmitters? It's not like they are making the Cell processor or something...

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PitaGriffin
Yet I find so many PS3s just laying there.
tman978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tman978
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts
I had to live at Best Buy to get my Wii. I went there every day for a week and I lucked up.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Velric"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

banjobear_basic

Egads, a banjobear post that isn't entirely sarcastic. Someone take a picture. :P

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Velric

Read my post slightly above this one. There is significant benefit to Nintento witholding production on their system.

Yes, and I acknowledge the benefit of doing so... to a point. However, I must remind you that you have to cash in on this hype at some point, before people start giving up on the product altogether. Furthermore, this is a system that A) sells systems through word of mouth and people playing the system directly, so you'd want to get it into as many homes as possible and B) is the closest thing to an impulse buy among the three next-generation consoles. Purposeful supply constraint makes less sense for the Wii than virtually any other console, past or present. Furthermore, the general point is to create this hype so that you can get product on store shelves by Christmas. It's June. Seven months after launch. The first blockbuster title of the year is coming in a little over a month. Again, if they were purposefully not meeting demand, the time to start shipping enough consoles to meet it was, I dunno, about one or two months ago. It simply does not make any business sense at this point to keep Wiis off store shelves.

And remember, there are an awful lot of Wiis being sold every month. It's not like they're only shipping 100k a month.

Plain and simple fact is that Nintendo, if they could, would be selling a Wii to every man, woman and child at this point. But they can't, because they didn't expect this much initial demand for the system. Virtually nobody did.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oilers99
[QUOTE="banjobear_basic"][QUOTE="Velric"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

SemiMaster

When I say shortage, I mean the console is not fairly distributed in certain areas of the US for instance. While I understand the major metropolitan areas are the highest priority, does 2 consoles every 2 or 3 weeks per store sound like a REALISTIC number? Because that's what my local Best Buy and Electronics Boutique have told me.

But most are going to Japan, duh. I don't doubt the sales are as high as they are, fanboys interpret what I'm saying as doubting. I am saying that the amount being leaked to the public are constrained simply to keep the interest high. OMG it's so hard to find, I gotta buy it just cuz' everyone's momma has one.

Thats how Nintendo is creating an artificial shortage. They clearly have the capabilities to pump the machine out, I mean how hard it is it to make last gen hardware with a controller that has an accelerometer and IR transmitters? It's not like they are making the Cell processor or something...

It's not a matter of difficulty to make. But keep in mind that even if this thing is only slightly harder to make than the Gamecube, when did they ever need to make these many Gamecubes per month? They simply didn't have the resources lined up at the appropriate time to cash in on this level of demand, because nobody, inside or outside Nintendo, expected demand to go beyond the six million worldwide they were projecting by March 2006.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PitaGriffin
I finally found a Wii yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called Gamestop at around 11:30am, and they said they "had it in stock" - I literally freaked out over the phone. I asked them if they could put it behind the counter for me, and they said "no - first-come-first-serve". So, I get there, and he took out a Wii for me, from a cardboard box that had about 5-6 of them. I was very happy.
someone6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 someone6669
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
Jeez. I was at Gamestop yesterday and they had TONS of Wiis and PS3s! I didn't know that was a big deal till I read this thread! One of the advantages of living in a small town ;)
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
Still?Get_Shorty
That's the same thing I was thinking. WTF? It's been damn near seven months.
redchina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 redchina
Member since 2004 • 1286 Posts

I have a great story:

One time, I decided to go to Best Buy to just browse and look at some monitors and stuff. Then my brother tells me they have Wiis sitting there in the game section. So I bought one.

the end

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

I have a great story:

One time, I decided to go to Best Buy to just browse and look at some monitors and stuff. Then my brother tells me they have Wiis sitting there in the game section. So I bought one.

the end

redchina
I think I read your novel about that, awesome. :P