Can We Talk About "King of Fighters"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Hiya folks!

I was looking at the long history of KoF recently and I was wondering what you players out there felt about it when compared to other 2D fighting games over the years? The version you like best (console titles only, please)? Who's your favorite character and why?

Speak to me of these and other thoughts on the subject, please.

:)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I don't have too many KOF games, just KOF 97 (Saturn) , KOF 2000/2001 (PS2) and KOF XI (PS2)

I like them , they are good games, the 3 person team battle is interesting, the characters are genuinely different from one another in gameplay, and it looks great , although I think XI is quite weak visually given its a much newer game , yet uses mostly the same character sprites as KOF97

though I prefer Street Fighter.

Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

KOF is all about arcades and you limit us buy saying console only :P

Anyway, first KOF game I played was KOF 1995 so it has a special place in my heart but I think the best KOF game is KOF 1998.

As far as the consoles go, I played a 3d KOF title on ps2 which was awfull but somehow I still enjoyed it (as in "it's so bad you can enjoy it")

Other 2D fighter I really like is Guilty Gear series (which I played both on consoles and arcades) and I can't choose between KOF and GG because both are equally awesome.

My favorite character is Iori btw. One of the best fighting game characters imo.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

KOF is my favorite fighting series, period! In my opinion it totally destroys all other fighting games, 2D and 3D alike. I own all the KOF games from 94 on, with some exceptions that were released on handhelds and some variations released on consoles. My favorite KOF game is 98 Ultimate Match because it is such a balanced and refined classic KOF title. I typically use Kyo, Mai, and King when available, which they typically are. A close seconds favorite of mine is XI, which is an incredible game as well.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeySpot

KOF is all about arcades and you limit us buy saying console only :P

Requem

Yeah I know... Very unfair of me. But I just can't fit another arcade cabinet in my living room, so I limited it to consoles...

:P

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#6 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I cannot wait for KOFXIII...

I usually use the basic characters (Terry, Kyo, Rock, Andy)

In terms of my favorite? I liked King of Fighters 2002, though I've found that each version does not differ greatly. The worst in the series I'd say are the maximum impact entries.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot

Is Mai a constant character?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I used to be a big fan of the series, but not anymore (nor of fighting games in general). I have all MVS games from '94 until 2000 as well as the official posters.

I also have The King of Fighter's : KYO for the Playstation.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Great series of fighting games. I've never spent as much time with the series as I'd like too but I'm definitely looking forward to KOFXIII.
conflict_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 conflict_rules
Member since 2005 • 6597 Posts

It's my favorite fighting franchise.

My favorite game would be either 96 or 98 and I usually play as Terry, Mai and Athena.

theJakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theJakandsig
Member since 2011 • 140 Posts
It was basically a bunch of the favorite Neo-geo fighters in one Neo-geo fighting game. (Some characters are from beat-em-ups and shooter as well.) Back then, all the way up till 2003, it was the number one fighting-crossover game for the hardcore fighting fan. Of course, Mk and SF slowly chewed away at its popularity and 2003 and 2002 were the last "Profitable" games in the series which of course, led them to using numbers instead of yearly releases.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I used to be a big fan of the series, but not anymore (nor of fighting games in general). I have all MVS games from '94 until 2000 as well as the official posters.

Panzer_Zwei

Why don't you like fighting games? Just curious. . .

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

Why don't you like fighting games? Just curious. . .

I've just grown tired of them for some reason. I used to be a huge fan of fighting games back then though. I bought my first arcade cabinet just to play KOF '98, and I even won a local tournament of X-Men vs Street Fighter.

I was also godly at the Real Bout series and Samurai Spirits IV, but they never made tournaments for those games around here.

Nowadays the genre just doesn't appeal that much to me, not even the old games.