Buying my first game console. Which would be the best for a 6 yrs old kid?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ignacio49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ignacio49
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hello.

I am a newbie looking for a console for my 6 yrs old nephew. I was told to get the Wii, as this would be "the one to buy" for young kids, but also was told that PS2 or Xbox would be better.

I have seen the Wii's sports games, which I feel are a lot of fun for young kids, but I have no idea about other Wii's games. On the other hand, I have the feeling that Xbox and PS have many games with a high violence content, and therefore are more suited for older kids.

Well, as you see, I need some help. Which would be better for a young kid (6yrs): Wii, PS2, PS3 or Xbox?

Thanks.

MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
Wii
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The Wii.
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 hellfire9988
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

Hello.

I am a newbie looking for a console for my 6 yrs old nephew. I was told to get the Wii, as this would be "the one to buy" for young kids, but also was told that PS2 or Xbox would be better.

I have seen the Wii's sports games, which I feel are a lot of fun for young kids, but I have no idea about other Wii's games. On the other hand, I have the feeling that Xbox and PS have many games with a high violence content, and therefore are more suited for older kids.

Well, as you see, I need some help. Which would be better for a young kid (6yrs): Wii, PS2, PS3 or Xbox?

Thanks.

Ignacio49

Uhhhh... ever hear of manhunt 2, or The godfather? They are AO, and M... Not all games on the Wii are kiddy, but for his enjoyment, I would definetly suggest a Wii due to the fact that it is just easy to pick up... But also if someone else in the family who is a gamer who wants to play, it is accesible to them as well.

Cold-Fusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cold-Fusion
Member since 2003 • 5004 Posts
I would also suggest the wii however the ps2 does have a large selection of games and is a pretty good deal for ~$100
bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bearbones
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts

Do handhelds count? If so, you can't go wrong with the Nintendo DS. Especially with games such as Brain Age, Drawn to Life and Pokemon etc. If not, Wii.

Vladek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vladek
Member since 2002 • 8967 Posts
There is no video game console that is "good for a 6-year-old kid." These things aren't toy fire trucks or something. Tell him to go play outside.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

In that situation... I would probably go with either a wii or a ps2. The 360 or ps3 are unnecessary... way too expensive for a youg kid, plus lots of violent games. Do not get an xbox. It is aimed at teens and adults, there are very few childish games available. The ps2 is a bit better on that end, with games like Okami. But in the long run, the wii is likely to be the best choice. Here are some games he might like (not all are out yet, and they are all rated T or E)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (rated t)

Mario Galaxy, to be released this november (rated E)

Super smash bros brawl, sometimes next year (rated E or T).

Im sure I missed some, those are just to save money. And one more thing: do you have any knowledge of online? Some games have the ability to play "online"... basically, it means you can play with others from around the world. The wii is a bit safer, becuase you cannot actually talk to the person, but they are likely way above his level in most games... and you know how whiny kids can be when they lose. Make sure to set family preferences so he cannot access online (until he's around 10-12, in my opinion).

loseittoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 loseittoo
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
simple Wii
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
Get the PS2 or a Gamecube. They're cheap and have a huge library of games featuring all the cartoon characters that he loves. Disney games, Nickelodeon games, Cartoon Network games, etc. THose will be the easiest games for him to start playing because he'll already be familiar with the characters. Additionally try and get used games too. At his age he probably won't be handling the discswith much care and will undoubtabyl get finger prints on some and ruin a few in the process. But it will still be good for him to learn how to game on, and in time he can grow into more advanced games on a new system.
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Wii.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

Get the PS2 or a Gamecube. They're cheap and have a huge library of games featuring all the cartoon characters that he loves. Disney games, Nickelodeon games, Cartoon Network games, etc. THose will be the easiest games for him to start playing because he'll already be familiar with the characters. Additionally try and get used games too. At his age he probably won't be handling the discswith much care and will undoubtabyl get finger prints on some and ruin a few in the process. But it will still be good for him to learn how to game on, and in time he can grow into more advanced games on a new system. Robio_basic

That's a good point, but the wii can play gamecube games as well.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Personally I kind of feel like the ps2 might be better because it's $150 cheaper, and also the games are alot cheaper for the ps2. So he'll be able to play alot with out spending alot of money, and since 6 year olds don't tend to get alot of money (unless their parents spoil them) the ps2 would be a good choice.

I don't think the wii is a bad choice either since alot of the games are pretty easy they're on his intellectual level unlike some of the ps2 games which many be a bit to complicated, but I don't think he'd get alot of games since most wii games are $50 a pop.

My vote's for a ps2 and a couple game to get him started.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]Get the PS2 or a Gamecube. They're cheap and have a huge library of games featuring all the cartoon characters that he loves. Disney games, Nickelodeon games, Cartoon Network games, etc. THose will be the easiest games for him to start playing because he'll already be familiar with the characters. Additionally try and get used games too. At his age he probably won't be handling the discswith much care and will undoubtabyl get finger prints on some and ruin a few in the process. But it will still be good for him to learn how to game on, and in time he can grow into more advanced games on a new system. instantdeath999

That's a good point, but the wii can play gamecube games as well.

Yeah, but why go through the stress of trying to track down a Wii and pay $250 for it, when you can easily find a Gamecube and get it for as little as $60. Besides, this is a first console, and the kid is just learning to play. No need to make a major investment. He's not going to care so much about the graphics so long as he can recognize the characters he knows. IN a year or so once he's gotten the hang of everything then maybe the Wii becomes the next step up.