Brand destruction? Final Fantasy: All the Bravest

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

So I just saw this PSA put out by IGN, warning gamers not to buy Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

I didn't even know this game was a thing to begin with, but it's an app game - probably on iOS and Android.

From what the two IGN staffers could figure...  The game is like a Final Fantasy that basically plays itself.

You have a party of like 30 or 40 characters, you tap on them, they attack the enemy party (but you don't select which target they attack), and that is all that apparently happens during battles.  You unlock equipment and stuff, but it's all automatic.  And all you do is battle monsters.  There is no real planning or strategy or fun.

I have not played the game, and I have no intention of spending $4.00 on it - especially now.  But IGN seems pretty stunned by just how awful this game is, and even their '2.5' rating of the game seems a bit too generous. (Read the IGN review here.)

As a longtime fan of the Final Fantasy series, I think this might just be the worst game ever produced that bears the FF brand name.  I mean we've put up with FF12, FF13, Crystal Defenders, and Chocobo Dungeon to name a few less-stellar series entries.  I thought The 4 Heroes of Light was pretty decent, despite its simplistic nature.

But this game just seems like a blatant cash-grab.  The trading-card-eqsue ala carte characters is proof of that.  Paying $1.00 for a chance to unlock some random hero from one of the FF games that was actually good?  Paying another $4.00 for pixelated Midgar art?  And the game is just brainless, pointless and insulting to RPG fans everywhere.  I honestly don't know what genius thought this was a good idea.  It's not even as clever as Half-Minute Hero!

So this is pretty much the lowest point for the FF brand.  What is everyone's thoughts and opinions on 'All the Bravest'?  Did you buy the game?  Do you think it is a pretty harmless and fun idea, or do you think it says a lot about where games are going?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

~ Ovirew

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Tons of fanservice? Barely any gameplay at all? Japan will love it
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The fact that they added an "pay real-life money to revive everyone" option is enough to make me hate the game with a passion. Seriously what the f*ck was SE thinking adding that. What's next, "pay up $1 to continue where you left off!"

I seriously hope there aren't that many people that would actually pay real-life money to use the option. F*cking nonsense.

I wouldn't care so much if it was just a bad game, and not a bad game designed around sucking all the money out of your wallet.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Square Enix needs some new management, i wish Sony would just buy them, that would be amazing.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Jim Sterling spoke about it in one of his videos, the concept of the "game" is truly revolting - basically a money pit made out of recycled 16 bit assets. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business (around 3:46)
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

What? They're shamelessly milking a franchise of more than 35 games with a cash-grabbing iOS app? I'm shocked! :o

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Look at the Metacritic score. 2.6? And the lowest score is a 0.4? DAMN!! Now that's a bad game!! :lol:

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I mean we've put up with FF12, FF13, Crystal Defenders, and Chocobo Dungeon to name a few less-stellar series entries.

I feel like I'm the only one who liked Crystal Defenders :/ I mean it certainly wasn't a revolutionary game but I felt it was worth $10
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

All the Bravest is the most cynical PoS I've seen in a while and its fascinating because as you say, its existence erodes Squenix's biggest asset. Still, its just a little further down the road Squenix has been going down for a while now (FF13 has a couple sequels and more in the wings, which is ridiculous because while it was a good if flawed game, those flaws kept a lot of people from enjoying it).

*Shrugs* I just finished playing the excellent Persona 4: The Golden and right now I'm in the middle of the charming Ni No Kuni, so if Squenix wants to make cynical crap rather than make great games, its no skin off my back.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

People who still have hope for Square Enix STILL EXIST? o_____O

Whoah.....

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I mean we've put up with FF12, FF13, Crystal Defenders, and Chocobo Dungeon to name a few less-stellar series entries. JML897

I feel like I'm the only one who liked Crystal Defenders :/ I mean it certainly wasn't a revolutionary game but I felt it was worth $10

I liked it too, its not shovelware that uses the Final Fantasy name to get make a quick buck like this game and FF14.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Justforvisit

Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.GodModeEnabled

Word.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black_Knight_00
Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.GodModeEnabled
At least they publish some great games made in the west Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider and Kane & Lynch, just to name a few. Thief 4 too, if the Eidos people ever get their heads out of their bums.
Avatar image for madgirlwithabox
madgirlwithabox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 madgirlwithabox
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Square will always have a special place in my heart, but ATB and its pay to win system really offended me. Actually, if you look at all of Square's games on the App Store, they're overpriced and didnt translate very well. Theatrhythm looks like a rip off too. Best to live in the old days of Square. Although, I am kinda looking forward to A Realm Reborn and keeping hope it will be a rewarding game.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.Black_Knight_00
At least they publish some great games made in the west Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider and Kane & Lynch, just to name a few. Thief 4 too, if the Eidos people ever get their heads out of their bums.

Hm well, you have a point there, ok, at least they're still good as publisher. Seems like they shifted the focus from game development to this much?

Man, I still do miss the old Squaresoft Times, but well, every good thing comes to an end, huh?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.Black_Knight_00

I should elaborate. I meant Square as a developer, not as a publisher. They are actually a good publisher I agree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

EDIT: Yikes, lost my responces to all of the earlier posts.  Dang.  Oh well.

Just wanted to take a moment to respond to most of the posts so far. Idk if anyone has replied since then with something I would have liked to respond to, but anyway here goes.

Whoah.....

Justforvisit
lol, this one got some laughs out of me. Well, I guess I've always been an optimist. A cynic, but an optimist. Hey, a football team could go for years without a win and then make a comeback, maybe SE could, too. A lot of rock musicians (yes, using that comparison again because it works) who made strings of hits for years in the 60's and 70's kind of tapered off in the 80's, but even then they still managed to make a few big hits during those years, and the 90's. Some, even since. Maybe SE isn't exactly striking gold with any of their recent games, but I know they've made a few decent games since FF10. And maybe sometimes we, as fans, hold the artist/developer in such high esteem that we expect too much from them. I mean, they're only human, and a WHOLE TEAM of humans need to work TOGETHER to make their own visions come together into one single vision, to complete the game. I'm sure FF13 probably wasn't as awful as I think, it just didn't meet my high standards. So yeah, I'll give 'em another chance or two.

Breaking this into two posts...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

LMAO!!! Okay, I'm calling it, this is pretty much the MVP (most valuable post) so far.

At least they publish some great games made in the west Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider and Kane & Lynch, just to name a few. Thief 4 too, if the Eidos people ever get their heads out of their bums.Black_Knight_00
True. But idk how much credit we should give to SE there. I guess they were involved in the development of some of those games, right? But anyway, I guess being an RPG fan, it's a tough pill to swallow seeing SE devote most of their resources to making games like those, rather than the games I remember them for

Square will always have a special place in my heart, but ATB and its pay to win system really offended me. Actually, if you look at all of Square's games on the App Store, they're overpriced and didnt translate very well. Theatrhythm looks like a rip off too. Best to live in the old days of Square. Although, I am kinda looking forward to A Realm Reborn and keeping hope it will be a rewarding game.madgirlwithabox
Yeah, for all of the mistakes Square Enix has made, I'll always try to respect them for the great games they already made. Square and Enix have each made great games on their own, and since the merger, imo. And yes, SE really overprices their app games. And Theatrythm did look kind of weird, but I'm willing to bet it was a lot better than ATB. Maybe they will make another great game one day, or at least some more okay games. If ATB gets a sequel, and another sequel, I will be like whaaaaa for sure.

Avatar image for marioandlinkfan
marioandlinkfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marioandlinkfan
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

I knew this game was a fail since day one, i didn't need to read a review to know that.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Destruction? Nah, Square died long ago. At this point it's brand necrophilia.Justforvisit

Hm well, you have a point there, ok, at least they're still good as publisher. Seems like they shifted the focus from game development to this much?

Man, I still do miss the old Squaresoft Times, but well, every good thing comes to an end, huh?

Squaresoft was great up to the mid-nineties (FFVII, Crono Trigger, Secret of Mana...), but starting with FFVIII their production has just been terrible to me: gone were the relatable characters, replaced with either emo or sugar-rushed kids dressed like complete idiots (and don't even get me started on FFX-2). Gone were the thought-provoking stories in favor of sterile love stories and stock "kids kill satan" plots. They just lost their touch, which doesn't make me miss them at all. I know a lot of you guys love the FFVIII-XII era, but to me it's just a load of old bah.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] At least they publish some great games made in the west Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider and Kane & Lynch, just to name a few. Thief 4 too, if the Eidos people ever get their heads out of their bums.Black_Knight_00

Squaresoft was great up to the mid-nineties (FFVII, Crono Trigger, Secret of Mana...), but starting with FFVIII their production has just been terrible to me: gone were the relatable characters, replaced with either emo or sugar-rushed kids dressed like complete idiots (and don't even get me started on FFX-2). Gone were the thought-provoking stories in favor of sterile love stories and stock "kids kill satan" plots. They just lost their touch, which doesn't make me miss them at all. I know a lot of you guys love the FFVIII-XII era, but to me it's just a load of old bah.

Until XII the games very well still deserved the name of Final Fantasy. And I don't see where you don't see a deep plot laying underneath the obvious main plot of FF VIII? Anyway, not in the mood to start a discussion here, just the hint you should look beyond / beneath the obvious layers of FF VII - XII ;)

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Justforvisit

EDIT: Yikes, lost my responces to all of the earlier posts. Dang. Oh well.

Just wanted to take a moment to respond to most of the posts so far. Idk if anyone has replied since then with something I would have liked to respond to, but anyway here goes.

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Whoah.....

Ovirew

lol, this one got some laughs out of me. Well, I guess I've always been an optimist. A cynic, but an optimist. Hey, a football team could go for years without a win and then make a comeback, maybe SE could, too. A lot of rock musicians (yes, using that comparison again because it works) who made strings of hits for years in the 60's and 70's kind of tapered off in the 80's, but even then they still managed to make a few big hits during those years, and the 90's. Some, even since. Maybe SE isn't exactly striking gold with any of their recent games, but I know they've made a few decent games since FF10. And maybe sometimes we, as fans, hold the artist/developer in such high esteem that we expect too much from them. I mean, they're only human, and a WHOLE TEAM of humans need to work TOGETHER to make their own visions come together into one single vision, to complete the game. I'm sure FF13 probably wasn't as awful as I think, it just didn't meet my high standards. So yeah, I'll give 'em another chance or two.

Breaking this into two posts...

About the music comparision, there's one mistake in your thoughts in my opinion: Video Games, and especially those Squaresoft / Square Enix made aren't as mainstream and popular as rock music is.

And about XIII: I never said it's a bad game, in fact it's a pretty decent RPG, the problem here is just that you could slap any other name on it, and nobody EVER would have realised it once was planned as a Final Fantasy game, it just isn't absolutely worth the brand name and everything that FF actually stood for. It's a pretty good RPG, but the worst FF they could ever have made, for it lacks EVERYTHING that FF is about and ditched it all for shiny graphics and gameplay ideas / experiments.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Justforvisit

Until XII the games very well still deserved the name of Final Fantasy. And I don't see where you don't see a deep plot laying underneath the obvious main plot of FF VIII? Anyway, not in the mood to start a discussion here, just the hint you should look beyond / beneath the obvious layers of FF VII - XII ;)

I agree on not starting a discussion. Just saying there simply isn't much depth to the stories. I also appreciated you not trying to defend the protagonists' wardrobes :D
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Yes this thing is garbage and yes something like this only ends up hurting the franchise and the company but I still think Square-Enix make excellent games as I very much enjoyed their two more recent ones in Final Fantasy XIII and it's sequel FFXIII-2.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#27 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

And I don't see where you don't see a deep plot laying underneath the obvious main plot of FF VIII?Justforvisit

The problem with Final Fantasy 8's story is that the majority of it is so nonsensical. I haven't played it in years, but if I recall correctly, a lot of the events have no bearing on the core for the story. (The dream sequences, for instance, just come out of nowhere and are never explained, I don't think.) Plus, the battle mechanics were a pain.

I also appreciated you not trying to defend the protagonists' wardrobes :DBlack_Knight_00

Honestly, who could? I think we all can agree they're ridiculous.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

put up with ff12 and 13? i dont know i thought they were good games. i get it with 13 i suppose, it seems everyone here hates that one. but cmon, 12 was pretty good. if not for the story then the gameplay. i remember that game being just VAST. it took me hours just to get through an area, and the open environments were so rich. plus lots of great side quests and stuff. that game really sucked me in i think i spent like 200 hours on it. i loved the music too. i felt like that game was ps2 at its best, i swear that game would be the best for an HD remake.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
The problem with Final Fantasy 8's story is that the majority of it is so nonsensical. I haven't played it in years, but if I recall correctly, a lot of the events have no bearing on the core for the story. (The dream sequences, for instance, just come out of nowhere and are never explained, I don't think.)...c_rake
I think it's implied that Ellone is somehow responsible for Squall and the others being able to witnessed what happened in Laguna's time. Or else, maybe it has something to do with Ultimecia's time-compression abilities. Really, I don't see how the story of 8 is much more confusing or farfetched than that of the other games, but whatevs.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I also appreciated you not trying to defend the protagonists' wardrobes :Dc_rake

Tidus in particular looks like he woke up, covered himself in glue and rolled around in a closet full of casualwear and fishing equipment
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lucky_Krystal

I still think Nooj has the worst clothes of all the final fantasy characters.

hands down.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#32 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think it's implied that Ellone is somehow responsible for Squall and the others being able to witnessed what happened in Laguna's time. Or else, maybe it has something to do with Ultimecia's time-compression abilities. Really, I don't see how the story of 8 is much more confusing or farfetched than that of the other games, but whatevs.Ovirew

Yeah, I think I read something about that. I never finished the game, anyway, so... Combat system just didn't work for me.

Avatar image for marioandlinkfan
marioandlinkfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 marioandlinkfan
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

hands down.

Lucky_Krystal
I've played my share of final fantasy and I agree this is the worst 100%
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

From what the two IGN staffers could figure...  The game is like a Final Fantasy that basically plays itself.

Ovirew

From what I'd heard, that distinction goes to Crisis Core. 

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="c_rake"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I also appreciated you not trying to defend the protagonists' wardrobes :DBlack_Knight_00

Tidus in particular looks like he woke up, covered himself in glue and rolled around in a closet full of casualwear and fishing equipment

I have to! :P

Squall's Dissidia 012 outfit always get's some neat appreciation on GamesCom whenever I cosplay him there :D

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="c_rake"]

Justforvisit

I have to! :P

Squall's Dissidia 012 outfit always get's some neat appreciation on GamesCom whenever I cosplay him there :D

Well, to be fair that outfit (which I had never seen before) is miles better than the one in FFVIII. It still screams emo and cutforbieber to me, but it's a decisive step up from that gay bar stripper feather boa leather outfit he walked around in in FFVIII.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GodModeEnabled

hands down.

Lucky_Krystal
Looks like Santa Claus and David Bowie somehow gave birth to this thing, and he then later on got himself in a skiing accident, hence the stupid metal cast thing on his leg.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Well, to be fair that outfit (which I had never seen before) is miles better than the one in FFVIII. It still screams emo and cutforbieber to me, but it's a decisive step up from that gay bar stripper feather boa leather outfit he walked around in in FFVIII.Black_Knight_00
I really didn't think his outfit was that bad lol. But idk, I think the outfits in the games were mostly still alright and fit the world of the games up until FFX-2. Anyway, this thread has gotten a bit off-topic. I guess even if FF invokes a million different opinions from different fans, we can all agree that Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is a step in the wrong direction, and pretty shameful.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I don't care what anyone tells me, but Final Fantasy VIII and XIII is what killed the series for me. Anyone who enjoys them are out of their mind. Ridiculously bad RPGs in their own right. Only good things I ever liked about them was the music and how different it was, but that's it.

As for FF: All The Bravest (ATB if no one got the connection there), it looked cool when I first saw it, but after hearing about how you have to use your real money to revive your guys or how you have to advertise just to get more characters, I decided against it.

You want to know what's the last, best FF game has been in a long time? Final Fantasy Dimensions, THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

Sstrawberryjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sstrawberryjam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

hands down.

Lucky_Krystal

That is one sweet cane though.

stunt296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stunt296
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

hands down.

Lucky_Krystal

Seriously, what is up with that hair?

Anyways, FF is done with. It's all about the Tales series now!

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

hands down.

stunt296

It's all about the Tales series now!

Damn, JRPGs really are in the stinker now...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="stunt296"]

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

hands down.

DJ-Lafleur

It's all about the Tales series now!

No, they aren't (nods towards Ni No Kuni, Persona and even Fire Emblem).

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

CarnageHeart

No, they aren't (nods towards Ni No Kuni, Persona and even Fire Emblem).

Agreed. Don't forget the Tales series, the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series, Disgaea, and Valkyria Chronicles though.

Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

Look at the Metacritic score. 2.6? And the lowest score is a 0.4? DAMN!! Now that's a bad game!! :lol:

Lucky_Krystal
it's hardly a "game".