xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hi all, a question out of most folk's field of view, but maybe a lot of you will have insights that might help.

I'm gearing up to buy a VR headset for my lab this year, and one of my use cases would be to carefully set it up on top of an EEG cap (like a swim cap with electrodes for recording brain activity). The straps of the VR setup will prevent some electrodes from being used, and to the extent that the headset shifts it could disrupt recording all together.

So choosing the headset with the best balance between unobtrusive straps and likelihood that it won't shift around much with motion is paramount. Research like this always has compromises, so there's no perfect option, but I thought you might have opinions to offer

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Hi all, a question out of most folk's field of view, but maybe a lot of you will have insights that might help.

I'm gearing up to buy a VR headset for my lab this year, and one of my use cases would be to carefully set it up on top of an EEG cap (like a swim cap with electrodes for recording brain activity). The straps of the VR setup will prevent some electrodes from being used, and to the extent that the headset shifts it could disrupt recording all together.

So choosing the headset with the best balance between unobtrusive straps and likelihood that it won't shift around much with motion is paramount. Research like this always has compromises, so there's no perfect option, but I thought you might have opinions to offer

Of the retail full options available, I'd look at the Oculus Rift. It's the lightest option and would seem to have the least intrusive straps. The headset straps are also spring loaded to create tension to prevent the headset from moving. The sensors are also easily places on a desk compared to the Vive sensors which work best as permanent mounts on a wall or on tripods. The Windows Mixed Reality headsets are also standard VR headsets, but they require no additional sensors. However, they are a bit larger/heavier as a result.

-Byshop