Best Horror Video Game Series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts

Out of all the Horror game series out there, and we can count stand alone games too, which is your favorite game/or series for the horror genre? :)

Lets not count Castlevania...just incase anybody was thinking to choose that. ^_^'

Avatar image for Scott_inWriting
Scott_inWriting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Scott_inWriting
Member since 2010 • 81 Posts
I would say Dead Space is way up there for me and Silent Hill is pretty creepy. But Resident Evil 2 still holds the spot as my favorite.
Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

For me it's Silent Hill. It was Resident Evil until RE4 came out, then I gave up on them.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Luigi's mansion. :P

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Luigi's mansion. :P

TheHighWind

Indeed, it really should be a series.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CyberKlown28
RE and SH are both great series ^_^' Silent Hill still sticks with the formula at least. My personal favorite, underdog pick btw, the Dementium series! I love the first-person view, and how the story is just....crazy and messes with your mind. Just my personal favorite, but lots of good horror game sout there :)
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
The Penumbra Series.
Liltorchic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Liltorchic
Member since 2008 • 218 Posts

Silent hill

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
I would have said Resident Evil, but Capcom destroyed it. Its about as scary as a toothless puppy nowadays.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#11 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
The Penumbra Series.jedikevin2
Either this or Cryostasis.
kevinxma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 kevinxma
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

silent hill for sure! the second one is my favourite

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Probably RE since I enjoyed 0,1,2,3, Code veronica and 4. Which is a fair amount. All the rest though are garbage

Silent hill is a decent series but I only liked 1 and 2.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Silent Hill. I've only played 1, 2 and Shattered Memories but they're all brilliant.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
None; but that's because I never enjoyed any of those games. If I had to choose, I'd take Resistance: Retribution as that comes closest to it and was very enjoyable.
ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts

Fatal Frame and Dead Space IMO. I love RE but I don't really consider the latest ones horror games. Metro 2033 was pretty spooky too.

discreet2600
i second fatal frame.. i remembered playing this at midnight..pitchblack room.. i wet myself once playing this.. damn..
CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CyberKlown28
None; but that's because I never enjoyed any of those games. If I had to choose, I'd take Resistance: Retribution as that comes closest to it and was very enjoyable.Daavpuke
Your avatar is pretty scary for someone who doesn't like scary games :p
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#18 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]None; but that's because I never enjoyed any of those games. If I had to choose, I'd take Resistance: Retribution as that comes closest to it and was very enjoyable.CyberKlown28

confusing, isn't it :D?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The only horror game series I've had any real experience with is Resident Evil. (I'm planning on playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories very soon.)

I would like to say this, though: The Theif series, while not being primarily horror, has a terrific atmosphere and all of the games have legitamatley scary haunted levels. (Even the first one.) I've never been so scared as when I first entered the Shalebridge Cradle. Anyone who has played Theif: Deadly Shadows knows what I'm talking about.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CyberKlown28
[QUOTE="CyberKlown28"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"]None; but that's because I never enjoyed any of those games. If I had to choose, I'd take Resistance: Retribution as that comes closest to it and was very enjoyable.Daavpuke

confusing, isn't it :D?

yes! your avatar looks like it comes straight from a horror game ._. *walks around corner* *avatar pops up, loud scream with it* *heart attack*
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Horror just does not work in a game. It looses it creepy facture fast since I have a monster I need to get by so I don't have time to be afraid. In Dead Space I remember being board as the creature did a "scary", slow rise and then I calmly shot it in its leg and arm. I felt like Indiana Jones when the one guy did all the fancy sword and then Dr. Jones calmly shot him. Then, it just Jack–in-the-moments. It does not scare you just shock you.

The only Series I have played is RE. I liked the older adventure game feel to it with survival as a part of it. It does feel a bit unnerving to have only a few bullets on you.

Also, I would not say Dead Space is not a series yet since there is only one game out and after some times it was not longer scary or even that dangerous. I should not feel more worry in a Halo game or in JRPG at the end.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Fatal Frame and Dead Space IMO. I love RE but I don't really consider the latest ones horror games. Metro 2033 was pretty spooky too.

discreet2600

I'll second this. Fatal Frame is definitely scary. I'm thinking about buying the second game again. And yeah, dead space is another scary game.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CyberKlown28

Horror just does not work in a game. It looses it creepy facture fast since I have a monster I need to get by so I don't have time to be afraid. In Dead Space I remember being board as the creature did a "scary", slow rise and then I calmly shot it in its leg and arm. I felt like Indiana Jones when the one guy did all the fancy sword and then Dr. Jones calmly shot him. Then, it just Jack–in-the-moments. It does not scare you just shock you.

The only Series I have played is RE. I liked the older adventure game feel to it with survival as a part of it. It does feel a bit unnerving to have only a few bullets on you.

Also, I would not say Dead Space is not a series yet since there is only one game out and after some times it was not longer scary or even that dangerous. I should not feel more worry in a Halo game or in JRPG at the end.

wiouds
yeah the minimal ammo/survival horror older style is really fun. The first RE's, all the SH's, and the Dementium Series do that :) I also want to mention the Condemned series. It does have some scary stuff in there. like when you walk into the room, turn around, and mannequins have appeared behind you, blocking your path. o.o
Gnosis13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Gnosis13
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, and RE. I don't understand the hate for RE4, it fixed what was wrong with the series up to that point ( terrible camera and crap tank controls). All this hate should be directed towards RE5, since it does not even feel like a RE game.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

The Penumbra Series.jedikevin2
Same here, it was one of the few games that actually had me jumping at pretty much anything after playing it.

I see that the same team is also busy with a new game, Amnesia: The Dark Descent. By the looks of it, this is going to have the same gameplay as Penumbra. That alone makes the game sound worthwhile.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Fatal frame and clock tower.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, and RE. I don't understand the hate for RE4, it fixed what was wrong with the series up to that point ( terrible camera and crap tank controls). All this hate should be directed towards RE5, since it does not even feel like a RE game.

Gnosis13

Neither 4 nor 5 felt like a horror game.

4 was as much as a horror game as the dead reaper level of ME2.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Condemned, the store and the school parts freacked me out a few times, the game does a good job of keeping you on your toes for much of the game.

xGlenn11x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: -3

#30 xGlenn11x
Member since 2009 • 443 Posts

Silent Hill 2 was the scariest game I have ever played in my life. I couldn't stand having only a stick to defend yourself near the beginning of the game! :O Dead Space and F.E.A.R. also rank up there for me.

xGlenn11x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: -3

#31 xGlenn11x
Member since 2009 • 443 Posts

Condemned, the store and the school parts freacked me out a few times, the game does a good job of keeping you on your toes for much of the game.

metroidprime55

And Condemned...that scared the you-know-what out of me. Haha, didn't play the second one because I would probably scream haha!

eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
Silent Hill & Resident Evil.
ShishcabobShig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShishcabobShig
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

I would have to say Fatal Frame or Dead Space. Im a big fan of Resident Evil but its lost its roots n wen in a direction i dont even wanna talk about.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#35 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I love and collect any horror game I can get my hands on. so I think I appreciate too many of them to pick just one. But if I just had to pick a one-entry game, I'd pick Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. If I had to pick a series, I'd pick Silent Hill, with special appreciation for the first, second, Origins, and Shattered Memories.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

discreet2600
Nice sig. :D Anyway, my personal favorite is the either Silent Hill or Dead Space. Resident Evil is good too.
Gnosis13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Gnosis13
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

Pixel-Pirate

Neither 4 nor 5 felt like a horror game.

4 was as much as a horror game as the dead reaper level of ME2.

If we're going to get into that, the last scary RE was RE2. THe biggest difference between RE4 and RE5 is that RE4 was entertaining.

Also, with a sound mind and well aware of the risk, I have to ask... what is ME?