Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Which detective game that has been released recently is best? I'd rather a big budget open world game that mixes action with detective work but games like this don't seem to exist. I played LA Noire last gen and it was ok. I have Arkham Knight and it's really the only open world game that does this at all.

This is what I have to choose from

Blues and Bullets

Crimes and Punishments

Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Wolf Among Us

Murdered Soul Suspect

I'm thinking of giving Blues and Bullets a go since it's really cheap and looks like it combines action with detective work.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Your mentioning Blues and Bullets reminded me of this review Razorfist just released.

Loading Video...

It seems like a good game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Not really my genre, but LA Noire is good, as are the Arkham games (I think Arkham Origins had the best detective stuff iirc, I might be wrong though it's been a while).

The Witcher 3, while not too in-depth, does have some fun detective moments as well. It's mostly just "hold down Witcher sense and follow the blood trail" but it's still exciting as you piece together certain clues to find out what happened, who/what killed who, and then finally confront them.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Your mentioning Blues and Bullets reminded me of this review Razorfist just released.

Loading Video...

It seems like a good game.

Sold. Dloading now. I had watched a few reviews but that was pretty good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 foxhound_fox

@Celtic_34 said:

Sold. Dloading now. I had watched a few reviews but that was pretty good.

I'm a huge Razorfist fan. He first captured my attention with his "Metal Mythos" series, but I discovered he did a lot of other things on his channel. I don't always agree with some of the things he says, but his personality is fantastic, and he's sold me on Battletech (Mechwarrior), Daredevil and The Shadow.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

Assassin's Creed Syndicate has the Deadly Crimes DLC where you do detective work and solve murders and it's pretty neat. I think detective adventure games should take a queue from it, at least on presentation. That said the rest of the game has very few detective aspects.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (Original Version... Director's Cut improves visuals but ruins the pacing and downgrades animations).

Loading Video...

You can get the game from GOG.com. It has save issue that has very easy fix. So be sure to visit this page for the fix.

https://www.gog.com/forum/broken_sword_series/bs1_original_version_crashes_on_save/page1

You can open .ini file by right clicking and selecting open with option then notepad.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

I think some of the Sherlock Holmes games from Frogwares are pretty good. I think the clues has a nice feature with it's "clue tree" where you can connect various clues to solve the case. You can also connect differently and get the "wrong" outcome. It's the best detective games I've play so far.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I did not play for long but the new Sherlock Holmes was making a lot of sense.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

Murdered Soul Suspect is actually a surprisingly good game. When I got my Xbox one I had no games and it was on sale for 7 euro and I really enjoyed it.

I also picket it up for 6.50 on psn 2 weeks ago and platinumed it in one sitting.

Its a pretty short game maybe 7 or 8 hours but has an interesting setting and atmosphere, definitely worth a look.

gooch4011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gooch4011
Member since 2016 • 139 Posts

@ningyupowadat said:

Murdered Soul Suspect is actually a surprisingly good game. When I got my Xbox one I had no games and it was on sale for 7 euro and I really enjoyed it.

I also picket it up for 6.50 on psn 2 weeks ago and platinumed it in one sitting.

Its a pretty short game maybe 7 or 8 hours but has an interesting setting and atmosphere, definitely worth a look.

I really enjoyed Murdered Soul Suspect, I got it for cheap too. I enjoyed the side stories and the atmosphere. This Blues and Bullets looks amazing too. I like the color style they went with it.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Witcher 3....

minor-effort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 minor-effort
Member since 2016 • 28 Posts

the gameplay is horrdenous but deadly premonition is worth nabbing if you enjoy twin peaks and open worlds that are "alive".

honestly, the best detective game is the last express. it's one of my favorite games of all time, but it might not be your style if you're looking for something that's recent w/ big open worlds. virginia and thimbleweed park should be releasing by early next year. virginia has a free demo on steam right now too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox

@ningyupowadat said:

Razorfist is so applicable for this thread.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Sherlock Holmes VS Jack The Ripper, though a few bumps, is a very compelling game.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Sherlock Holmes VS Jack The Ripper, though a few bumps, is a very compelling game.

Did you ever check out the Lost Files/Case of the Serrated Scalpel ?

Btw, some other good ones...

Another Bow (85') http://www.mobygames.com/game/sherlock-holmes-in-another-bow

Consulting Detective (91') http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts
@bussinrounds said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Did you ever check out the Lost Files/Case of the Serrated Scalpel ?

Btw, some other good ones...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective(85') http://www.mobygames.com/game/sherlock-holmes-in-another-bow

Consulting Detective (91') http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

Nope, never had a chance. A couple of those consulting detective ones popped up on steam.

Thedamius324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thedamius324
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

@Celtic_34: For Me Personally, It Would Have to Be LA Noire.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Discworld Noir is my favourite detective game - mainly because you actually work as a detective, gathering and manipulating clues in a far better way than any other game I've ever played.