Best Base/Fort Building Games Where you Gather Supplies and Defend?

SoupyFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By SoupyFlow
Member since 2014 • 136 Posts

Hi all!

So I love base building games and I am looking for some new ones to dive into.

Basically I love the idea of having a "home base" in a game that you can build up, defend and where you also leave it to gather supplies or whatever and come back.

Now I am NOT into heavy crafting as I find it super time consuming and not really fun.

A perfect example of a game that I love that has this "home base" mechanic is State of Decay. Also Fallout 4 does too, but that game got really boring for me.

Basically looking for these features:

• You have a home base/fort etc.
  • You leave it to gather supplies, do missions etc and come back to your home base/fort.
  • You might have to defend your home base/fort
  • Decent graphics/art style
  • Not heavy in crafting
  • You can play by yourself or with friends, either way doesn't matter.

Here is a list of games that might get mentioned in this thread that I want to shoot down now:

• Modded Skyrim: Tried to play it, but like Fallout 4 it got boring to me.
  • Minecraft: Please god no. Too much crafting and I hate the art style
  • Terraria: Too much crafting
  • Starbound: Haven't played it, but it seems a lot like Terraria which I did not really like.
  • Dwarf Fortress: No.
  • RimWorld: Haven't played it, but it doesnt seem like you control a character. You just build.
  • Rust: No.
  • Factorio: No.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Like I said, my favorite game so far for this "home base, defend, build up, leave/gather supplies/return" mechanic has been State of Decay. Thanks ahead of time :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I'm really enjoying Stonehearth, nice little indie village sim that has you defending against hordes of creatures.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Conan Exiles is the one I made playing at the moment. It's not a masterpiece but it is strangely addictive.

SoupyFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoupyFlow
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm really enjoying Stonehearth, nice little indie village sim that has you defending against hordes of creatures.

Looks kinda cool, I'll have to check it out.

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Conan Exiles is the one I made playing at the moment. It's not a masterpiece but it is strangely addictive.

I am not big on the "drink water or die" "eat something or die" survival games. But how are those aspects? Also is there a strong emphasis on building a base and leaving it to scavenge and coming back?

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Starcraft?

Just kidding...i assume everyone has played that. Just not sure are you looking for new games for yourself or new games that came out in a year or two ago.

Here's somewhat of a list

• Total War
  • Civilization
  • Ark: Survival Evolved
  • Subnautica
  • X-com
  • Crusader Kings
slimster2309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 slimster2309
Member since 2017 • 68 Posts

Have you taken a look at Fortnite? Not sure how much crafting is involved, but it involves base building aspects.

SoupyFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SoupyFlow

@speedytimsi said:

Starcraft?

Just kidding...i assume everyone has played that. Just not sure are you looking for new games for yourself or new games that came out in a year or two ago.

Here's somewhat of a list

• Total War
  • Civilization
  • Ark: Survival Evolved
  • Subnautica
  • X-com
  • Crusader Kings

Thanks for the list! I have played a lot of those. Not really looking for a military realtime or turn based strategy games or the survival games where you have to deal with the whole eat or die scenario.

Subnautica looks really cool though and has been something I want to check out, I just hate dealing with survival games unless it's pretty manageable.

@slimster2309 said:

Have you taken a look at Fortnite? Not sure how much crafting is involved, but it involves base building aspects.

Yeah I am have been watching it a lot of Twitch and will probably pull the trigger on it soon. It seems like it might be up my alley. :)

henrythedog64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 henrythedog64
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

If you learn how to use commands and get an item list (or be fine with a little bit of crafting and grinding) unturned is great, just I'm getting a little bit bored of it

henrythedog64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By henrythedog64
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

its a bit heavy on crafting but you Might Enjoy Stranded deep

ReanimatorVG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReanimatorVG
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Online - Multiplayer:

7 days to die (coop or solo)
The Forest (coop or solo)
Life is Feudal (MMO)

Offline -Solo:

Fallout Shelter
Oxygen not included
Sheltered
Subnautica

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

Most of the games that immediately come to my mind involve a fair bit of crafting or survival elements like eating/drinking.

Maybe...This War of Mine? Though, it may not be what you have in mind. It's less action-y than State of Decay, and State of Decay, to me, wasn't much of an action game. There is some crafting and upgrading your base, but it's not as extensive as something like Terraria or 7 Days to Die where you're pretty much crafting everything and building your base from scratch. There's some hunger/sleep management, but it isn't overwhelming. You don't really defend your base - at least, not in a hands on sort of way - but you do need to be mindful about keeping people at home, with weapons, or you're likely to get attacked and robbed while you're out scavenging. It's a damn good game, though bleak as hell, but...it may not be your cup of tea.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

Fortnite is literally the correct answer you're looking for.

Avatar image for conallskywalker
ConallSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConallSkywalker
Member since 2018 • 26 Posts

That is literally the goal of Fortnite. It sounds like this is the game you're looking for.

7 days to die also has quite a lot of these elements, I would give that a go as well.

Nero1original

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nero1original
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Im unsure of if you may have looked into this already but with fallout 76 out. And from what iv experienced through gameplay for hours. It seems very much to what you are looking for. With out that overly popular battle royal every game producers seem to want their games to be since fornite got so many hits from it. Fallout 76 has base bulding. Defending. Resouce gathering. Crafting. And online. Only downsides are ts not flawless yet. Eat or die. Drink or die. And rads. But their are upgrades to reduce the speeds which they deplete