Best and worst video game weapons

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 1

#1 Ezioprez9709
Member since 2012 • 742 Posts

Here's a topic that I don't see very often. Weapons in video games are essential these days, with many games featuring them. Their sole purpose is to kill, but not every weapon is as effective as each other. No matter what game you play, every game will have at least one weapon that you won't like, or is universally disliked. So what are your favourite and least favourite weapons to use?

Best: The RYNO III from Ratchet and Clank 3, and the Patriot from MGS:3.

Worst: USP from Half Life 2, Grakata from Warframe.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58995 Posts

I'd agree about the USP, as well as most of Halflife 2's weapons lacking any sensation of weight or kickback barring the revolver. Even the shotgun let's out a little squeak.

Probably Doom 2's super-shogun comes to mind.

I finished Shadow Warrior recently and I really love the secondary revolver attack where you slap the end of it like a cowboy, it becomes one of the most powerful weapons in the game and is a joy to use.

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

Best:

Cerebral Bore from Turok

Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2

The Redeemer from UT

Worst:

Pretty much every gun from The Division. I'm sorry I know it's how the game is designed to be played, but I feel that if I pissed on them it would do more damage than any gun in that game.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#4 Ezioprez9709
Member since 2012 • 742 Posts

@mrbojangles25: The Gravity gun is a good selection, but if you could pick just one example from the Division, what would it be? What could possibly be the worst out of them all?

I've never played the Division, and judging by how people reacted to it, I'm glad I never bought it. I was kind of disappointed when I saw how bland it was.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

@Ezioprez9709: well, it is an RPG at it's core so the problem is enemies have these giant health bars, and you have these weapons that take forever to kill them. Using a pistol, you generally have to reload about two or three times to kill an equal-level enemy. SMGs are the same story; you just dump round after round into enemies and slowly watch their health go down. I mean all the weapons are ultimately the same; rifles do more damage but only get 20 rounds in their clip; SMGs shoot fast and have big clips but the rounds do no damage; pistols can be good, but you need to reload them so often it's like c'mon (infinite pistol ammo makes it a good option).

I understand that is just how the game was designed, but for a fast-paced third-person shooter where you're doing all the fast-paced things you usually do (take cover, shoot, move around, dodge grenades, etc) in a game like this, the shooting aspect is incredibly slow.

Again, this is more of the game design than individual weapon, but the weapons just feel so lame in The Division. They all lack character, feel week, sound lame.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

BFG from the original DOOM.

I also really like how the weapons feel in Bioshock.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

*From the top of my head

Best- Kirkhammer (Bloodborne)

Worst- Stick (Fable)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@Ezioprez9709 said:

@mrbojangles25: The Gravity gun is a good selection, but if you could pick just one example from the Division, what would it be? What could possibly be the worst out of them all?

I've never played the Division, and judging by how people reacted to it, I'm glad I never bought it. I was kind of disappointed when I saw how bland it was.

I think it is a pretty good game. I'm finishing it today. Fun single player game, and that is how I am treating it. It did not come close to living up to the expectations I had, but its still a fun game. Sinking 10 clips into an enemy to take away their armor? not so much.

chitosan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 chitosan87
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

Best Weapon : Blade of Chaos in God of War

It was permanently seared onto the wielder forearms and only God of War himself can remove such weapon or the wielder is dead. I like the concept. It was scary and powerful.

Worst Weapon : Mega Buster of Rockman / Megaman

I hate the first cannon from the Rockman, I played it on Nintendo years ago. I died hundred time because of that simple cannon. I love the game but hate the weapon. But after the we defeated its bosses, nah … now that’s what I like bout the game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Best:

• Gravity Gun- Half Life 2
  • Portal Gun- Portal 1/2
  • Flak Canon- Unreal Tournament series