tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tpz4sheezy
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

I’m thinking of getting one of them tonight via buying the premium edition or whatever. My quandary is this. I already have gamepass so should I wait and get Starfield when it comes out for free and pay the 69.99 or whatever for bg3 or should I pay the 30 bucks or so for Starfield and get baldurs gate in a few days.

I absolutely love Bethesda games especially fallout 3 and Skyrim so I’m thinking I will love Starfield too. I also adore space games like the mass effect series.

With that said I really like rpg as well but I will admit I’m not an expert by any means. I really enjoyed divinity original sin, but it was kinda hard for me I will say. I also loved games like the original fallout, wasteland 2 and 3 and dragons age origins.

Which one should I buy tonight? Should I just wait for the Starfield (I think I will enjoy it most honestly but maybe not…) or should I get bg3 and just play Starfield when it comes out on gamepass??

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

Buy BG3, gamepass Starfield.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9552 Posts

Yeah, I'd say gamepass Starfield and play BG3 now, I agree with the consensus to this point..

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8237 Posts

If you got gamepass already just play starfield on gamepass, by the time you get tired of that BG3 might be on sale

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Get Baldur's Gate 3

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

Baldur's Gate 3. I want to play Starfield too, so I'm not a hater. But BG3 is amazing and it's not a genre I normally play either. BG3 is probably the GOTY and you'll get Starfield on GP in a few days anyway.

Easy choice!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58331 Posts

You should play both, but for various reasons I'd say buy BG3, then use Game Pass for Starfield.

They're both amazing games, just be sure to give them the time and attention they both deserve.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34618 Posts

Starfield seems a lot like their previous games, but worse. Just humans and robots in space. Some ship and base building. I can imagine the game to become old fast. Put some atrocious graphics and AI, and bad quest writing to the mix.

BG3 seems like the best CRPG, or heck, best RPG released in a while. If you're interested, seems you can't go wrong with it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

Baldur's Gate 3 if you want a poorly paced game with shallow combat that nonetheless does Roleplaying really well. Really well polished too, despite the flaws I mentioned.

Starfield if space and the feeling of exploring it is intriguing to you. But also full of jank.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Starfield to me I'm intrigued after playing at a mates house. Held off paying the extra to play early but getting hyped.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Depends what you're after.

Baldur's Gate III is a more grand and multi-layered RPG with a lot of strategy and player choices, with some clever level design. Tons of options to play around with, which for many can be overwhelming. It can be a tough game that requires the player to think in many situations.

Star Field is unapologetically Fall Out 3-4 in space, it's safe junk food open world Action RPG. With an expanded focus on what Bethesda Studios started with Fall Out 4. I tip my hat that they didn't pull a 76 with this one though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56131 Posts

I'm currently playing both games, Baldur's Gate 3 is DnD RPG style game, it is a grounded RPG game I think you'll enjoy with lots of options to choose from.

Starfield on the other hand, I normally don't like using Game Pass as I like to buy my games personally but as everyone suggested, go with Game Pass/Starfield as there's nothing wrong renting a game you aren't sure and as someone who really likes Skyrim, Starfield is Skyrim in space and I can tell you this, I'm actually enjoying it so far.

@RSM-HQ said:

Star Field

It's actually called Starfield, not Star Field.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

They are different types of games for sure, but if you have Gamepass and you enjoyed the Divinity games then buying BG3 and getting Starfield on Gamepass seems like a no-brainer. Even if you don't get around to playing both for a while (since they are both time sinks) you probably won't go wrong with either game.

BG3 is like Divinity crossed with... well... Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale which is not a bad thing at all. I like the Divinity games but that kind of RPG in D&D systems is even more appealing for me, personally.

Starfield is also great and I love space exploration RPGs more than fantasy which is an extremely oversaturated genre IMHO. My biggest gripe with Starfield is that it doesn't feel like it broke the mold for a Bethesda game. Even in the opening scene when Barret arrives at the mining base and it's like "hey, let's watch this glassy eyed mannequin robotically walk to within dialog range for our zoom in conversation cutscene". The Bethesda hallmarks are all still there, like cities/buildings as zones with door "portals", etc. They've obviously rebuilt it pretty significantly and added stuff like space combat, but they can't seem to get it into their heads that there are games that just don't have this stuff and maybe there was a better path. It's like they said "okay, we're rebuilding this from the ground up. Now, it's gonna be 'hey, let's watch this glassy eyed mannequin robotically walk to within dialog range for our zoom in conversation cutscene BUT WITH RAY TRACING!'"

Still, I'm enjoying both, though.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6888 Posts

Im to busy playing Armored core 6 to give a shit about either right now.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ
@davillain said:

@RSM-HQ said:

Star Field

It's actually called Starfield, not Star Field.

No disrespect to the two people who cared.

I use an app for translation, and starfield isn't marked as an actual (US) English word on the app.

Plus haven't had the time to clean up my grammar errors lately because managing my work and playing games has been hefty this summer.

Baldur's Gate 3 is DnD RPG style game

It's really not.

It maybe licenced official Dungeons and Dragon's but as you could look up right now that doesn't mean any of the games have anything in common outside of theme and setting. DnD has Diablo clones, MOBAS, and trading card games, etc. That doesn't mean they're all wrapped up the same in terms of what they are.

A lot of what you would do in a tabletop experience isn't here in BGIII. It has a structure and follows a hybrid mix of a CRPG and SRPG experience. It's as one-to-one a DnD game as any other branching path RPG.

It uses the 5e rule-set but fundamentally it plays the same as Larian's Original Sin series, just expanded and refined. Namely because unlike Original Sin II, BGIII is not a small budget Kick Starter game.

The way you would chain-link NPCs, four player party, dig for resources, drop-in/ drop-out multiplayer. It all works the same as it did in OSII. Not a tabletop set-up.

When combat gets going it's a SRPG game much like Final Fantasy Tactics, XCom, & Makai Senki Disgaea, and yes; Original Sin games.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 509 Posts

I just started Starfield and I've put quite a few hours into BG3. Both are great games but it depends on what playstyle your feeling more. BG3 is an extremely narrative driven turn-based strategy RPG while Starfield is more a action based shooter style game with lighter RPG elements. If you enjoyed CRPGs like Divinity and dragon age origins then BG3 is for you. If you want Fallout 4 in space with settlement/ship building and heavy shootouts with a jump pack then pick Starfield

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ

Will say if you end up buying Baldur's Gate III consider Balanced before Tactician; I'm on my second playthrough (mid-way into Act 2).

And playing on Tactician it's quite different in a few areas. Enemies are more prone to flee and call for back-up. Resting also costs you a whopping 80 supplies over the usual 40.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#18 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Never played BG3 and probably never will unless it ends up on GamePass. If Starfield ended up not being GamePass day 1, I probably would’ve bought it. But to be honest I don’t know a single thing about BG3. Maybe it’s just as good or better than Starfield? Dunno?

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2034 Posts

Get BG3. Maybe get Starfield years later when it's not that shyt anymore

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

Never played BG3 and probably never will unless it ends up on GamePass. If Starfield ended up not being GamePass day 1, I probably would’ve bought it. But to be honest I don’t know a single thing about BG3. Maybe it’s just as good or better than Starfield? Dunno?

My advise is, if you want our gaming industry to be 'healthy', you should give games like BG3 a try for no other reason than for the fact that everyone says it's good ie. Critic & User scores are both close to 90. So there is a consensus, unlike Starfield where Critic score is high but user score is low.

If not for benefit of doubt, I'd say you are what's wrong with our industry ie. support trash and pass on gold. This is why we get games like Starfield. Bethesda (and by extension, EA, MS, Activision, Ubisoft etc.) are all banking that gamers are like you, all of whom will gravitate towards AAA marketed games and you guys don't know better, because you've never played an actual good game in the pass 5 years.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

10 hours into Baldur’s Gate 3, PS5, and it is amazing and addictive. You will keep wanting to do one more lengthy mission just so you can afford some new gear, with the added bonus of levelling up.

I don’t own a Series X/S or PC. I would still pick BG3 for now and save Starfield for a couple of months down the road If I did.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RSM-HQ

@jhcho2: I mean can't push games onto people who are not interested. At the end of the day we're customers not fighting some war to rebel. We want the kind of entertainment that makes us enjoy gaming. brimmul777's hot take could be a genre, camera perspective, or even bored of high fantasy reason.

And even though I note that, reading these forums for a few years perhaps that's not true.

More than likely; I've found Game Spot community to harbor a lot of overly loyal Bethesda Studio, Bioware, Blizzard and similar well regarded mid 2000's Murica developers. Despite the decline in quality for over a decade, and sheer disrespect they've given customers.

My assumption is this vocal minority wants to relive the old nostalgic days during the 360 when WoW, Mass Effect 2 and FO3 was the hottest games in discussion. Refusing to accept that these studios are not what they use to be, and in fact for the most part taking advantage of this blind loyalty to the brand(s).

Larian isn't EA, Activision, or Bethesda so for some around here, it's not an option. It has to be disregarded.

LaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LaP
Member since 2002 • 17786 Posts

Baldur's Gate 100% if you like story telling and role play in general.