Assassin's Creed (PS3), still worth a playthrough?

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

We just watched the Assassin’s Creed movie and i got a little interested in where it all started. Browsed over to the PSN-store and saw that it was on sale for about 4 USD. Is it still worth a try or is it so old in terms of gameplay and visuals byt today's standards that it’s a chore to play? I’ve read some comments about it being pretty boring and repetitive. I never use my PS3 for gaming these days so i’ll have to dust it off aswell first.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Definitely worth a play through brotherhood was my favourite 2 was an improvement over 1.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Izak80

@robert_sparkes: Thanks for the reply, i’ll give it a go then.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I thought the first Assassin's Creed was an intriguing game, but was horribly repetitive. AC2 was a lot better over the first and Brotherhood (third entry to the series) was pretty good, too.

AC3, eh, kind of lost me on this entry. There wasn't much else to be done with the game aside from the ship combat that was introduced. The ship combat, a lot of people praise it, but I find it rather drab. Sure, the controls were easy, utilizing multiple ways to fight on ships was easy, but it felt too easy. Other than the ship combat everything else was the same - run after someone, fetch quest, tail a target, kill people, climb things....over and over again. The story was decent enough to keep up with if you played the first games.

If you really enjoyed the first few Assassin's Creed games, the third should keep you entertained. Certainly worth a play if you enjoy the history of AC series and find the gameplay entertaining.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11675 Posts

I liked my PS3 then its disc drive went crazy and would cost too much for repair. The two most games I went back to got PS4 ports (Dragon's Dogma, Dragon's Crown) so I don't feel too bad about it anymore. Likewise I think all those Assassins Creed also got current Gen makeovers. Lucky the PS5 is backwards compatible because once a remaster puts a game at 60FPS and fixes bad game rendering not really anything else to improve honestly.

Still waiting on that Heavenly Sword Remaster though.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

AC II and AC Brotherhood are some of my favorite games of all-time. Definitely give it a try. The Ezio remastered trilogy should be pretty cheap.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Ezio collection is well worth revisiting only an upscale more than anything but still good to play. I didn't mind the combat in them.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

I thought the first game was very boring. I bought it, tried to play it some and put it away. Sold it used and somehow I ended up with it again. Might have been a AC1+2 collection. "Suffered" through it to know the story before ACII. It was very repetitive. Listen to those guys, pickpocket this man learn your target and kill him. Continue to next town, rinse and repeat. ACII was much better. More interesting story and more people to interact with. And the Assassins Tomb side missions was a funny distraction.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Izak80

@livingdeadman: I’m playing through the game atm. The graphics and framerate on the PS3 is something that makes the game feel really old, like a good looking PS2 game. I kind of like it though and it grows on you. I have two questions though: Is there a penalty for killing soldiers (beyond those you are required to) and the occasional civilian? What is the benefit of scaling and unlocking all View Points in a city district beyond the first one (you’re required to)?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58396 Posts

The AC games tend to age poorly (AC 2 suffers from poor controls and outdated visuals), but they are still good games if only for the incredible historical settings and story.

The "Ezio Saga" is arguably the best story and perhaps the best character in the game, and it shows because they got like three games out of him when they generally only get one per character.

TL;DR: yes, worth it to play.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

AC1 was really repetitve and aged poorly IMO. I'd suggest playing the remaster of the Ezio trilogy on current gen platforms.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Izak80

@livingdeadman: Thanks for the info. The only things i can see on the city maps are: view points, save civilians, scholars (walking hide spots) and the story related missions. Do more unlock after i’ve synchronized every view point? I’ve only scaled and synchronized every view point in like two out of three districts yet.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Izak80

@livingdeadman: Yeah, i’m suffering from ”the completionist bug” so i must clear the map of all side quests before i can move on. I like the game so far and the repetiveness of it doesn’t bother me too much. I’m looking forward to beating it though so i can move on to the PS4 port of AC2 with hopefully some better graphics and framerate.

UmameNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UmameNinja
Member since 2019 • 29 Posts

I'll be honest here... Assassins Creed games seem dated, and not in the "Oh, that's just Assassins Creed for ya" kind of way, but rather the "Geez, these mechanics are garbage... it's slow garbage" kind of way. If you're willing to suffer through the agony of low resolution, horrible game mechanics, but at the very least a really good story then sure knock yourself out. Just know that it's not as spectacular as you may remember.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Izak80

@livingdeadman: Just finished AC1 and i did enjoy it. The setting was great and eventhough the graphics is very dated by today’s standards i can see the work the went into recreating those legendary cities. The simplicity of it also appealed to me. I can get abit tired of today’s open world games where you open the world map and get overwhelmed with things to do plus the constant evolution of ”every choice matters”. Just ordered the Ezio-Collection and i look forward to play those three games this weekend.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Izak80

@livingdeadman: Yeah i just realized that i’ve put the wrong picture there... ;)

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Izak80

Btw, have Ubisoft released a PS4-Pro patch afterwards ( i know it wasn’t there on launch) that let’s the game down-sample from 4K to 1080P or are we still required to enable Supersampling in the options menu?