Are you a fan of limited/special/collectors/other word editions of games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

After seeing JustPlainLucas' thread on online passes, a thread idea ran through my mind, and as so, here it is :). I like to think of it as a "spin off" of that thread, so to speak.

As the title suggests, are you a fan of limited etc. editions of games for a pre-order?

I am kind of, well... let's say 25/75 on the matter if that even makes sense :lol:

Basically I do like the fancy editions at times, because they have some cool stuff, but more often than not... it is not needed.I also kind of feel that it is a way for developers to force you to buy a game within a limited time, which frustrates me. I couldn't help myself with many games such as Homefront (there were a few things in it), WWE All Stars (Million Dollar Pack, which gives you access to two wrestlers, which still can't be obtained any other way as of yet), WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2011 (which actually it was already in the game for a few things but it just had a fancy front cover on the case, except Bret Hart was only obtainable via DLC a few months back), Splinter Cell Conviction etc.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted (obviously) and love all of these games (I ama SC fan, and a WWE fan and I love shooters and was really into Homefront), but I hate the feeling of being "bullied" so to speak to buy it before a bomb explodes in a James Bond film, as they will never bring these editions out again.

It is worse when they get exclusive stuff such as weapons and a multiplayer map, as you feel your game is not complete, well I do anyway :P.

It is worse when developers charge you an extra £10, £20 or even £30+ (I'm looking at you Gears of War3,at £100) for these editions. Sure, there is always the argument that you don't have to buy these extra stuff, but if it is a series you love, you just can't help yourself usually, as you feel you are missing out. The Gears of War 3 beta is like this also. All that stuff I will not be able to use because I didn't play the beta enough... :(. Ah well.

Lastly, I actually find it kind of hilarious in a way when they charge you said extra (a lot) of money, when you take a peek at what is inside the edition and you find stuff like:

Bubble gum (Duke Nukem Forever, one of the editions for that), playing cards (if I want to play cards, I will buy some for £2 ), figurine (if I want one, I will go and buy one personally... but imagine these objects came with exclusiveextra content, where you are pretty much forced to buy them) and other stuff such as jeans, headache tablets and an invisible mirror. Okay, I joked with those last three :P.

I just want to state that this is all just my opinion however, and I accept any other views that you guys may have :). That being said, I am curious to see what you guys reckon.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

My thoughts on the matter are pretty complex. I'm completely against it whenever it changes the actual game in any way (ie: DLC), but fine when it adds side things to the software (ie: UMK3 in the PS3 MKA limited). I'm all for it when it's done the way Working Designs always built them - box sets, CD soundtracks, artbooks, other odd bonuses like pendants, card decks, etc...

Just a few examples.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I like them, especially when they combine more than one game into one or add something to it to make it worth it. I just picked up the World in Conflict Collector's edition and it came with the game, a trial game for MP to give to a friend, a Berlin Wall Modern Marvels DVD, a Behind the Scenes/Making of WIC DVD and a piece of the Berlin Wall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I've gotten sucked into a couple of them. Never been that satisfied, but i dont regret them much either.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

I like them, but I always talk myself into not buying them. "You want the game for the game itself", I always tell myself.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Whether I buy a Collectors/limited edition of a game depends on what game, price and content we are talking about. A fancy package with a behind the scenes dvd and a sticker doesn't impress me.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

If it's a game I'm really looking forward to and know it'll be great quality, I'll pick up the CE. I'm quite bummed there's no Collector's Edition being released in the US for Deus Ex, as I seriously want the soundtrack CD and art booklet. I suppose I could import, but it's going to be insanely expensive. So it all depends on the game. I'll be getting the CE for Batman if they have one. Bought it for AA.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#8 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
I'm not paying 10 to 100$ more for a bunch of useless crap that is going to get stuffed in a closet or the trash and forgotten when all I really care about is the content of the disc.
evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
I got the Fallout 3 CE which I don't regret. Although, I did get it for about $10 (NZD) but I quite like it. The artbook was really well made and quite cool to flick through, unlike the one from inFamous, which was literally 5 or 6 pages. The lunchbox is cool and makes for a good bookend for my games, and of course the bobblehead sits proudly in front of games. I don't like games that give DLC that much, especially RPGs. RPGs that try to make you overpowered from the start with special DLC are wrong in my opinion. I prefer physical things. But some DLC can be good, like the map packs you get in a new copy of Bad Company 2. Skins and powerups are pretty meh though imo.
X-The-Doctor-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 X-The-Doctor-X
Member since 2010 • 1268 Posts

I've never bought a Collecters Edition of a game. But when ACII came out I wanted to get it mainly for the figurine. When Batman: Arkham Asylum came out I wanted to get the CE for the Batarang. When I was looking at buying Dead Space 2 I wanted to buy it for the replica plasma cutter and when ACB came out I pre ordered for the Harlequin but wanted the CE because I really wanted the doctor jack in the box. Every time I think about forking out the 100$ I always picture my mum yelling at me about how I wasted my money on useless crap. I really wouldn't mind I suppose buying a CE of a game but It would have to come with stuff that made it worth my money, and had to be in a good quality.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

So far, I've only been completely satisfied with one collector's edition: Halo Reach. I strongly believe Gears of War 3 Epic Edition will be next on that list. I pre-ordered it at Gamestop only because I want the Epic edition and the game in my hands after midnight. I'm going to stay up all morning that's for sure.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
If its a special game, its worth buying the CE.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
If it is a COLLECTORS edition for a game i will most likely want... Sure... But then it need to be a "collectable" in other words... Physical items: Art books, lore books, amuletes, figures, cards, dices, maps, coins, rings, statues (well you get the point).. Not dlc. Any dlc of any kind should be for EVERYONE.if not all dlc is on the cd d it should atleast be in a day 1 patch 100% free.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

Some interesting points, guys :). I not lie when I say that for some things, I prefer collectors editions, but a lot of the time it feels like I'm being forced to buy the collectors edition, as I already stated. If I got Splinter Cell Conviction without the Spas 12 shotgun I would have felt that a part of the game was missing (even though it may sound silly), although the making of and comic being in a seperate case was cool.

I also don't like it when developers think that releasing betas will make a lot more people want to buy the game is a good idea. Take Bulletstorm for example - I have read online a LOT more people bought that game for the Gears 3 beta rather than the actual game itself. The same went with Medal of Honor (2010) releasing the Battlefield 3 beta with it. Don't the developers have enough faith in these games to sell them without a beta? that's my view on it anyhow. To be honest, I would much rather just buy a beta seperate, at, let's say, £3-5. Imagine a case that just comes with a code, that could be pretty cool. I think Medal of Honor and Bulletstorm got kind of overlooked with their betas being the "main deal", which is a shame.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Using special weapons for a game is asinine when it comes to a CE. To me that falls under the unfinished game category which is reprehensible on the part of the publisher.

whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

In the past, I used to purchase them. But, after a few years I began to realize that half the time I could care less about all the extras. Because in the end all I wanted to do is play the game which I could do at a much more cost effective manner. Though, the ones that have extra game content in them are probably the worst. Because all of the people whom pay their hard earned money to purchase these games are getting jipped out of extra content just because they didn't want to pay the extra money for the "super cool elite edition" of the game.

In the end, when I sold all of my special/collector's edition games, I made $1,052. Which allowed me enough money to rebuy the cheap regular editions and left me with $600-$700 worth of games I didn't have before.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44177 Posts
Yeah I generally like most of them. I definitely want to get the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition, that looks really awesome.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
No, I never buy limited editions unless they cost the same as the standard edition, like with Heavy Rain. I don't care about collectibles, I only care about the game itself
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

If it's a game or series that I'm really looking forward to, then yes, I'll get the limited edition. I'm getting the limited editions of Catherine and Mass Effect 3.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

If it has things that interest me or if it has a lot of cool stuff that's worth the extra $10-20, then I'll buy. I'll also buy if the LE costs the same as the standard version (it has happened to me!). If it's something lame like an extra DVD, DLC codes or etc, I won't buy it.

The only Limited Editions I've bought were Final Fantasy XII (cost the same as the standard version), Demon's Souls (rare strategy guide, cool cover and other stuff), and Catherine (pizza box, boxers, shirt, pillow case, etc.)

AJV91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AJV91
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

Not really. I'd be buying Gears of War 3 special edition or whatever. But I sold my 360 for a PS3. Even if I did have my 360, I wouldn't be able to buy it. I go to Boot Camp the day before it comes out. Lol

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've never bought a special edition of any kind. I just want to play the game - I've got enough junk cluttering up my place without adding more. And most of the extra stuff is of absolutely no interest to me at all.

Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Almost never. I find them to be usually filled with worthless junk and other trinkets, nothing of real value to justify the extra (and sometimes way extra cost). When I was younger, I used to care about collecting figures and things like that, but I just don't care about doing it now that I'm older.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Some of the merchandise you get with it are quite useful, the sling bag you get with the Hero Edition of Infamous 2, for instance, looks simply stunning and has proved to be very useful so far. Perfect during exams when all I need with me is my pencil case and a few books.