Are there any game review sites like Dead-End Hiphop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

There's a channel on Youtube called Dead-End Hiphop. They're a group of 4 people who review albums. They make 20-30 minute videos and they all have a polite civil informative discussion. Generally, 1 loves the album, 2 like the album and 1 dislikes the album. So, you get a balanced variety of different opinions.

I find that game review sites tend to just put one opinion on a pedestal, but I would find it interesting to see a game review site which explores multiple perspectives. Kotaku, in theory, does this, but they're overly generous with their scoring. Gamespot tried out a double-review once or twice but that's it.

Examples:

Zelda: Skyward Sword
"I love this game! Great art style, dungeons, puzzles and cinematics!" 5/5
"My favorite game in the Zelda series. It's creative and tries out a lot of new things I like" 5/5
"The gameplay's really fun but it's hampered with way too much filler and bad side quests" 3/5
"Not the best 3D Zelda game, but some of the best motion control usage on the Wii" 4/5

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

What happens if they all like the album?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Black_Knight_00:

LoL.... then its a Must Buy.

LoL.... would you purchase a game if that were to happen ?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 drekula2

@Black_Knight_00 said:

What happens if they all like the album?

Then it's probably a good album, because often there's at least 1 critical person (usually Mike). And even so they do tend to analyze the album, discuss its flaws, talk about what perspective the artist making the album was coming from and such.

Having a 4-person review system doesn't guarentee that a consensus will be avoided, but it is better than just having 1 review and saying "This is our publication's authoritative opinion".

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu

On Game Theory.... every now and then they have a debate about some game..... the most recent one was "Does Dark Souls Suck".

And thats the best I can do.

Generally I like Mathew Matosis because he goes over anything and everything he can about a specific game.... obviously theres spoilers..... but since I don't care video game plots I don't hesitate to jump in and see what he thinks about the more important aspects of the game.

My only complaint is that his Voice and Speech lack any semblance of enthusiam or personality..... infact I'm pretty sure he is a robot whos primary function is to critique games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@drekula2:

So does each person score the Album or do they all give one aggregate score ?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drekula2

Matthew Matosis is very good. I guess he's the Angry Joe for people who are interested in knowing more about game mechanics than just "DUDE BRO THIS SHOOTER IS AWESOME".

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By drekula2

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@drekula2:

So does each person score the Album or do they all give one aggregate score ?

They don't score the album. They just talk about it.

But I've been thinking of a good score system.

Perhaps each reviewer scores it from 1 to 5. Then, we add up the points in .5 increments to make an out-of-10 score.

5/3/4/4 = 2.5 + 1.5 + 2 + 2 = 8/10

5/4/5/4 = 2.5 + 2 + 2.5 + 2 = 9/10

3/5/4/3 = 1.5 + 2.5 + 2 + 1.5 = 7.5/10

2/1/3/3 = 1 + .5 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 4.5/10

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@drekula2:

I like that..... its always good when theres no score because it doesn't distract you from the actual content within the review..... which is the best part.

Hey why don't you start a game discussion round table channel of your own..... I mean.... if you have the time for it.

Edit: LoL I like Watching Angry Joe..... but I would never take what that dude says seriously.... even when he's right... it just feels wrong.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drekula2

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@drekula2:

I like that..... its always good when theres no score because it doesn't distract you from the actual content within the review..... which is the best part.

Hey why don't you start a game discussion round table channel of your own..... I mean.... if you have the time for it.

Time is the thing. Starting a game review site would mean I would have to play like 20+ games a year, and it would take years of hard work before I'd even see a pay check.

If it's feasible, I might just get a team of 7 reviewers, and split up into 2 4-man teams so we can split the work.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@drekula2:

Well... if you ever get around to it.... let me know..... I wana see the Dark Souls discussion. :p

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By drekula2

Dark Souls would be a good game to review. The issue with that game is that most of the glowing reviews from hardcore RPG fans, and it doesn't really relate to the average consumer.

A DEHH review style would be great for a game like this because the consumer would get both sides. You'd have one reviewer raving about how the game enveloped them and they couldn't stop playing you. You'd have another saying it's a solid RPG. And you'd have the 3rd reviewer saying the difficulty was just too much for them and they couldn't finish it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@drekula2:

And then you'd have a Fourth Reviewer ( Me ) Calling everyone at From Software a bunch of incompetent Jerk Wads !!!! :p

Oh Yeah... I'd watch that sh!t day and night.