Are SNES to GBA ports mostly crap?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Here we are,to determine if most ported SNES games that were on GBA were of lower/crappy quality than the SNES version.

Discuss.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Disagree. At least speaking for the ones I've played (most of them) they are all still very playable and most of them even include extra content. Perhaps the visual fidelity took a hit, but what did you expect?
Stefan91x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stefan91x
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

Nearly all ports are crisper and less pixelated on the GBA because of its small screen. On the GBA player, which is the best way to compare the graphics, there is no contest. In that case the SNES wins.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I own a few of them and they're all great ports.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
They were all fine in my experience for the Mario games and A Link to the Past. Donkey Kong Country was really well done on the GBC but never played the GBA version.
Avatar image for StinkySkunkGirl
StinkySkunkGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StinkySkunkGirl
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

They're usually pretty okay, but the comparative lack of screen space has a tendency to make things more annoying than they should be. Mega Man & Bass is hard enough without having a dimished view of the area around you. Phantasy Star Collection isn't really SNES (it's SMS and MD/GEN), but the labyrinth dungeons of Phantasy Star II and III, with their punishing and frequent random battles, are that much harder to navigate when you have to walk those extra steps to find out you've stumbled into a dead-end.

Most of them still look, sound, and play great, and the controls tend to be surprisingly good, though. Most of the ported SNES games didn't make much use of every button. I would avoid Contra and Tales of Phantasia, however. Tales of Phantasia was a problematic port, and Contra... just because they could port Contra III to the GBA doesn't mean they should have. Overall, there are much better ways to play these games, but if you must play them on GBA, you should still be able to appreciate most of them. Most of them aren't butchered by any means, but almost all of them sacrifice at least a little in translation.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
All the SNES remakes I played (Super Mario Advance 1 and 4, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI) were great and arguably better due to extra content.
JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
All the SNES remakes I played (Super Mario Advance 1 and 4, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI) were great and arguably better due to extra content.1PMrFister
This.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

All I've played have been really good, actually. I never owned a SNES so I guess I am not the best opinion to go by, admittedly. Playing, say, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island for the first time on GBA though, they felt at home there and not like they were crammed on a system where they didn't belong. If you are super familiar w/ the original versions, there are small changes that might drive you nuts. A buddy of mine couldn't play A Link to the Past on GBA on account of some change to a control scheme he was familiar w/. I thought it was great though.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

The only one I ever got was "Legend of Zelda", and it was fine in all respects. I failed at it, but that's because my gamer-muscles have atrophied due to the current gen.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

joke thread? they're all very good games.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

The ones that I've played (FF6, ALttP, Mario Advance 2-4) are all better due to extra content and, well, portability. The SNES versions have better sound, and probably better graphics, but the difference in graphics is mostly negligible.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Final Fight One was a nice improvement from Final Fight on SNES - whether a port or a newer arcade port specifically to the GBA, I don't know. Contra III Advance also had content not seen in The Alien Wars for SNES. The updates/sequels/remakes of games like F-Zero, Metroid, and Mario Kart all had great games on the GBA. Double Dragon: Advance was a kind-of best of both worlds of the original arcade game and Super Double Dragon.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#14 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No... The vast majority were fantastic.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Isn't the GBA regarded as a Portable SNES? Given that the GBA is a 32bit System and the SNES 16-bit. The SNES to GBA ports should be equal? However the quality of the screen of the GBA does make the games look washed out. This wasn't resoled until the last revisions of the Gameboy Advance. But by then Nintendo was focused on it's then upcoming Nintendo DS. It seems that the SNES to GBA ports were more of an after thought by Nintendo and second and third parties. Ports just quickly done.

During this time the Gamecube wasn't doing as well, The DS was in the planning stages, Nintendo was just not putting to much effort and thought into the ports choosen from the SNES library. This was the time of Nintendo's three pillars. Gamecube, DS and GBA. As well as having the R&D focus on the then upcoming Nintendo Revolution Console.

The SNES to GBA ports were just an after thought and were for the most part disappointing. But Crap is a good way to state the quality. Yes you are correct.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
They look mighty fine on a GBA SP with the new backlite and a gameboy micro. The crappy original GBA and DS phat screens didn't look so hot. Never owned a DS lite. SNES wins when played on a TV though, they always look better than on the GB player.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
A few less pixels on GBA version, but ultimately the same/better experience.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

They are better ports simply because the games are portable, normally come with extra content, and glitches/bugs are normally fixed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
All the ports are worse. Silly added voice overs, lower resolution visuals, and a more limited player vision.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

They had extra content and could played on the go. That makes up for the worse sound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

They had extra content and could played on the go. That makes up for the worse sound.

WhySoLimp
That doesn't matter. Some of the Mario games actually play a bit differently. They just aren't as good.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

I never really spent much time on the SNES versions as much as the GBA ones, so in what way are they worse?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
FFVI was worse on the GBA IMO. They took all of the emotion out of the dialogue and made it read like a school book stating facts in comparison to the SNES version...
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

I have yet to play a bad GBA port.

I'll say with absolutley no regrets that Super Mario Advance 3 is vastly superior to Super Mario World.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I'll say with absolutley no regrets that Super Mario Advance 3 is vastly superior to Super Mario World.

WiiCubeM1
What makes you say so? The visuals are worse, the audio is worse, there's silly voice over sound changes, and the players field of view is limited.
SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

The changes will bother purists and those with nostalgia goggles, but for everyone else, the core game in portable form is what matters.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WiiCubeM1

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Heirren

What makes you say so? The visuals are worse, the audio is worse, there's silly voice over sound changes, and the players field of view is limited.

Luigi.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

The changes will bother purists and those with nostalgia goggles, but for everyone else, the core game in portable form is what matters.

SonOfChewbacca

Plus extras in some games.

Good opinion.

:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

SonOfChewbacca
I disagree. It's the same problem as with emulators, the games don't play exactly like the original games. It isn't about any nastalgic factor.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

No, it's the opposite.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WiiCubeM1

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

Heirren

I disagree. It's the same problem as with emulators, the games don't play exactly like the original games. It isn't about any nastalgic factor.

I agree wtih Chewie, here. Sounds may be worse, and it may not look as pretty (smaller screen and all), but the core gameplay is near identical in my experience, and in some cases, improved (like with Luigi in SMA3).

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

WiiCubeM1

I agree wtih Chewie, here. Sounds may be worse, and it may not look as pretty (smaller screen and all), but the core gameplay is near identical in my experience, and in some cases, improved (like with Luigi in SMA3).

Yeah, I don't really think of original gameplay as being some sacred thing. If they can fix a few bugs and adapt it a little for portables, all the better in my book. Of course, these adaptations are hit or miss in my experience but Nintendo is better at it than most. (In contrast, look at Sega's port of the Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog--not that Sega didn't make some awesome GBA games.)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Not really from what I hear, but there are other horrible ports on GBA (not really SNES, but still):

Mortal Kombat AdvanceSonic the Hedgehog Genesis

Later, both games got made up on GBA's successor:

Ultimate Mortal KombatSonic Classic Collection

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

Being ports, they really can't get any better than the original's imo, but ports were alwaysone of the gba's strengths.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I own a few of them and they're all great ports.OreoMilkshake

yeah i agree. I'm not sure if they are exactly ports, but MarioKart and Wolfenstein 3d play great on the GBA. Of course they take advantage of a smaller screen, but they arent bad games.

LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#36 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

I think its more so a hit and miss thing. If a game worked as a port, it really worked, if it didnt it just didnt. Perhaps im not the best to judge this, mainly due to owning a low amount of SNES games, but from what I remember from the DKC games they played better. As well I love playing games on portable consoles because I actually beat them compared to console counterparts. Just something about playing a game while watching tv.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

The only port I felt was bad was Link to the Past. All others were great I think albeit the lower sound quality

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#38 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the gba versions all looked and played the same , if not better

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

If you care the slightest bit about sound and graphics, avoid the GBA-ports.

Tales of Phantasia Op SNES

Tales of Phantasia Op GBA

R-Type III - The Third Lightning 1st stage SNES

R-Type III - The Third Lightning 1st stage GBA

Donkey Kong Country SNES vs. GBA

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 logicalfrank

doubutsuteki

It is not really fair to compare by YouTube videos. GBA visusals esp. always look way worse due to being stretched up to whatever resolution the video is in. Also, Tales and R-Type both look pretty good, esp. Tales which looks about the same just zoomed in a little. Donkey Kong Country does look worse though, I'll give you that.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

logicalfrank

It is not really fair to compare by YouTube videos. GBA visusals esp. always look way worse due to being stretched up to whatever resolution the video is in. Also, Tales and R-Type both look pretty good, esp. Tales which looks about the same just zoomed in a little. Donkey Kong Country does look worse though, I'll give you that.

Yeah, you have a point there.

The Tales of Phantasia GBA-video is 640x360 while the SNES-version is 320x240. With R-Type III it's the same thing but the other way around.

See, DKC looks worse - I think they all do. I was aiming mostly for the differences in sound though, I mean, it's some pretty apparent differences.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 logicalfrank

I agree on the sound. GBA just has crappy sound in my opinion--now bear in mind that I say that as someone who absolutely loves GBA--and I think the SNES to GBA ports all suffer from that to some extent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I agree on the sound. GBA just has crappy sound in my opinion--now bear in mind that I say that as someone who absolutely loves GBA--and I think the SNES to GBA ports all suffer from that to some extent.

logicalfrank
Yeah I never understood why the sound output was so bad. You can choose mono, or the noisy as heck headphone jack.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Heirren

Yeah I never understood why the sound output was so bad. You can choose mono, or the noisy as heck headphone jack.

They seem noisy even if you play them on a DS, which I think has great sound for DS games. Even the 3DS ambassador games seemed to have some hiss in the background.

Saladin__7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Saladin__7
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts
All the ports I played are good. The graphics are decent and the extra content gives incentive to buy them again.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 doubutsuteki

logicalfrank

Yeah, totally. Seems most (?) GBA games used streamed audio too - of exceptionally poor quality. I don't remember what the internal speakers were like or the 3,5mm audiojack, but I remember that even the GBC had crappy sound compared to the old gray brick - the original Game Boy.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

I don't think so. Generally the only thing I saw that took a hit across the board definitively was sound (which the SNES was superior in). Graphics were a case by case basis but in situations such as the DKC series the graphics being brighter (and therefore a little washed out) supposedly had to do with accomodating the original non-lit GBAs as well. As for content and play changes, that's depending on the player, for instance Mario World was easier on GBA than SNES since you only reverted down one power level rather than straight from Super/Cape/Fire to short. They are pretty serviceable and overall enjoyable but if you're a purist then nothing is going to suit you more than the original source material. I'm not particularly picky as long as a port works well and remains fun. That said I was disappointed in the Contra one.