Are games too expensive?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unwashedflyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 unwashedflyer
Member since 2009 • 81 Posts

am i right when i say here that games are too expensive? can i make a comparison between games, dvds and music cds? there is a new jb hi-fi that has opened its doors this past week and i am finding that all along we were paying five or ten dollars more for our new release games at eb than what we can now pay at jb hi-fi. why are games so expensive? they can break the bank. i know they are breaking mine.

KPAXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KPAXMAN
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

am i right when i say here that games are too expensive? can i make a comparison between games, dvds and music cds? there is a new jb hi-fi that has opened its doors this past week and i am finding that all along we were paying five or ten dollars more for our new release games at eb than what we can now pay at jb hi-fi. why are games so expensive? they can break the bank. i know they are breaking mine.

unwashedflyer

Yes, yes, and yes! Developers keep saying it costs a lot to make a game. They only need to make one game, but then they go and produce thousands which sell like hotcakes. And now they're raising the price of XBox live to $60? Ridiculous. More often than not, I find myself downloading Arcade games because they are cheaper and sometimes provide (in my opinion) a far more entertaining experience. Also, renting games has become a staple for me since I see so much hype in some games and then find out that they're not as what some people say they are.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

They've gone up 10 bucks since the days of N64 if I'm not mistaken, I think the first game I payed over 49.99 was for Half Life 2 54.99 on the day of release which was a bargain to me. I am fine paying 59.99 it just means i research my games much more before I make my initial purchase, and it also means that I have alot less games, and I expect decent replay ability. I thinkI own a total of 15 games for PS3, I have the original 60GB release PS3.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

What pisses me off is that the developers release a game, then add DLC that costs almost as much as the game itself yet only adds a couple extra hours of gameplay. Basically, developers these days are charging people for content that should be free. :)

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

No offense, but i pay $130 for new psp games, i don't find $60 expensive in any way...

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

PC games are cheap.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Yeah I find them too expensive. Especially since I have to buy them imported.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Most games I buy are pretty cheap. I shop online a lot and you can find some amazing deals. So, to me no they are not really expensive. You could say though they are expensive right when the games are released, but after that it's quite easy to find good deals.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

No. Any well made game I'll gladly pay $59 for, to show my appreciation and gratitude for laboring hard to make something that I will get many hours of enjoyment out of.

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

No. Any well made game I'll gladly pay $59 for, to show my appreciation and gratitude for laboring hard to make something that I will get many hours of enjoyment out of.

Rekunta

Yeah but it sucks when you have to pay 60$ for a bdaly made game with out the knowledge that its bad. alan wake for example. Great game but I'm still kicking myself for paying 50 bucks for it.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I believe "jb hi-fi" is an Ausi retailer and I think in Ausi games cost more then in the US. Correct me if im wrong?

I am currently in grad school studying Computer Science. One thing I've learned is that programming a game is like making a mini operating system. Making a game engine is like making a mini operating system and programming language combined. Developing those kinds of systems is very hard and there aren't a large number of qualified people who can do it. When you add in game designers, graphic designers, musical production, scripts, dialogue, voice acting, marketing, and tons of testers the budget gets really big. Its like making a really long, fully CGI, interactive movie that goes straight to DVD. So while I would like the price to be less, I can see why it costs what it does.
gymophett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gymophett
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts

It really depends on the game. But paying $60 for a new game, with hours of gameplay, and re-playability, is fine to me.

Hmm. You pay $20 for a movie that you watch for around 90 - 100 minutes. When you can pay $60 for a game of 80 - 100 hours.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

What of the comparing number between game sold to something more mainstream like a movie DVD/Blueray?

killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts

Not if you actively seek deals. A lot of games I buy are >$20 U.S. Games drop in price rather quickly.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

warownslife

Yeah but it sucks when you have to pay 60$ for a bdaly made game with out the knowledge that its bad. alan wake for example. Great game but I'm still kicking myself for paying 50 bucks for it.

That's what reviews and renting are for.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 reason58
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

As has been said, if you stay six months or so behind the curve you can get most games for half price (or less). It is the people who must have a game the day it comes out who pay the price.

dragonballz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 dragonballz4
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

60$ is okay but for A GAME LIKE TEAM FORTRESS 2 ON WHICH I AHVE SPEND 500 HOURS ITS WORTH A LOT MORE LLIKE 150$ OR MORE

Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

People often compare the price of games to DVDs. The way I look at it, DVDs cost about £10 for 2 hours entertainment. Games cost £40 for between 8 and hundreds of hours of entertainment (game dependent obviously). The ratio seems right to me!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If they weren't too expensive we wouldn't have such a lucrative used game market, rental services, rampant piracy, and swift price drops.

You can save a tremendous amount of money on games if you have a little patience, i.e. don't have to have every game on day one, or, use a rental service to try them before you buy them.

brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts

I believe "jb hi-fi" is an Ausi retailer and I think in Ausi games cost more then in the US. Correct me if im wrong?

Diablo-B

Yeah JB Hifi is an Aussie retailer. I shop for some of my games there, though I do most game shopping online. Here is a wiki entryon video game pricing in Australia/PAL English speaking terrotories about the inflated costs.

As far as costings go I think they are about double what they should be worldwide. My reasoning is that they should be aiming to be far more competetive with DVD/Blu-Ray with a similar level ofinstall base. We have competetion between Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony within the video game industry, why not look at a bigger picture and try and become bigger then the movie buisness for peoples interest.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#21 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
No, they are about the same price, or a little more, or a lot cheaper than they have been in the past. I don't know why people would complain when pretty much everything has gone up in price except games.

And now they're raising the price of XBox live to $60?

Yeah....it's really horrible. Especially if you ignore the constant deals over the years. I just bought two years for $70, they are now selling two years and 1600 points for around $80. If they never have a deal again then in about six years the added price will actually make me pay more.
Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Well, I saw a copy of Guitar Hero: World Tour (just the game) for Wii at Gamestop yesterday for $60, and I was all like, "Yeah, right. Up yours."

styx56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 styx56
Member since 2006 • 1133 Posts

Game prices need to go down. I thought 50 dollars was way too much money for a video game in the ps2/xbox days but in the current gen I'm now giving away 60 dollars a game I really want. Video games should be 40$ at most. There isn't that much coming out that I want but whenever I do I have plan ahead because my wallet is about to take a major hit. Video games are just not worth 60 dollars, I don't care how good they are.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Yes they are. I appreciate that they cost a lot to make these days and that most developers struggle to make serious money, but that doesn't change the fact that the price being passed onto the consumer for something as trivial as a videogame is much too high. I think the industry needs to take a step back, because right now it's simply heading in a direction whereby they'll only be able to make money by charging $100 a game. The better graphics get, the more work you have to put in to produce said graphics. It's a slowly inflating bubble, and one day it'll burst.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
not really, I remember buying snes rpgs every week that were like 84.99-89.99, compared to now, that was expensive.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Yes. Which is why I wait for price cuts....
chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

Economics is a very complicated field. Its not as simple as saying, "games are too expensive, make them cheaper".

Its called supply and demand. Consumers are always gonna want to buy the cheaper product, whereas businesses want to sell for as high a price as possible. The result is "equilibrium", a point where the amount consumers are willing to pay and manufacturers are willing to charge meet.

As consumers we obviously want prices to be as cheap as possible. But if prices were lowered too much, then game developers would not be as willing to make games because they are not making as much of a profit. The combination of fewer games being made, and the demand for said games rising results in a shortage, where there is not enough supply to meet demand, so prices go up.

At the same time, businesses want prices as high as possible. If prices are high, more people are willing to make the product, however the consumer doesn't want to buy anything because its too expensive. The result is demand does not meet supply and there is an excess of the product, so in order to get them off shelves prices go down.

$60 is the equilibrium. Its the highest most people are willing to pay for games, and the lowest businesses are willing to charge. You may not like it, but thats how it is. And frankly, games are one of the best values out there, a 2 hour movie costs roughly $10, whereas you can get games that last 80-100 hours for $60, or even less if you get it used.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Yeah games are pretty expensive and you can compare them to DVDs, but only to a point. The production costs of a video game and a movie are similar these days, with some video games topping the movie industry.

So why are new video games $60 and new DVDs $20? Simple when ya think about it. Movies generate a ton of money through release in theatres to re-coup the money put into making them and even turn a profit before the DVD version is even a thought. Video games really only make money in one way, from the physical copy. So when you buy a video game, you're paying for the entire effort in one lump sum.

Music CD's are similar, record companies can make money off of the CD's themselves and through concert ticket sales.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Games are too expensive. The devs think that games cost a lot of money, but the reason for this is simply because they like to overspend. Some of the best games out there are low-budget and didn't cost much to make.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i would so much rather spend 60 $ on a good game than 10 $ on cd. I think games are actually great deals especially when you buy tons of old games that are like 15 $.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

$ 60 bucks for a video game is expensive. There are only 2 or 3 releases a year that deserve this price. Most of the games you can buy for half the price a month later after the release. Gamers are right that DLC also should be free, after all if they approved it to be release then it should have been in the game that you just bought for $ 60 dollars. I have a job and if i wanted to i could afford to buy any game i want brand new. But i much rather buy cheaper since most of the games are not worth the steep price.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
60 or 50 bucks is expensive in my books since you can buy hardware at that price.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts
$60 isn't too bad just hope they don't go up any more, though I feel games are getting too expensive with all the DLC content that feels like content that should have come with the game or be offered for free, and downloadable titles are becoming more expensive, it just used to be $5 and $10 games and now they're $15 a good amount of time, though a lot of them are fun to say the least besides, if you're patient games eventually go down in price, sometimes get repackaged with additional content, and there's tons of awesome $20 games out there if you don't buy games that often you can go back and play the games you didn't for cheap and they feel more worth it sometimes
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's expensive. Gaming can be expensive. This is the sole reason why I only throw down $60 for major release, big hit titles. Games that are solid to mediocre, well, they will just have to wait for the bargain bin.
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts

games are only too expensive if you don't look for the deals like amazon having medal of honr with a 20 dollor giftcard or gears of war 3 with a 20 dollar gift card you just gotta look around or be patient and buy your games for 20 a piece. on another note i hate dlc and refuse to buy it

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

When you got value for your money, it wasn't so bad. But then developers started giving less and less, for more and more.

. Especially now - online games with 4 hour long single player campaigns, whose servers will be dead in a couple of years? - - - I'm not even going to waste my time with that kind of a con game.

I always wait for a sale now/ I got Gothic 2 for 99 cents. I bought the Stalker combo pack for $9.99, and I waited to play Fallout 3 until the GOTY version came out.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
The baseline price of games has been $50 since I started gaming 33 years ago (a time in which games were designed by one guy over the course of six months or so). Ocassionaly game prices veered way above the baseline (because game price was based on memory size, so larger games cost more) and in the days of the Nintendo 64, the baseline price was $65. The fact that three decades late, development teams are exponentially larger, development cycles are much longer and games are much bigger (in terms of content included and memory consumed) a price rise of $10 strikes me as incredibly reasonable.
LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

What pisses me off is that the developers release a game, then add DLC that costs almost as much as the game itself yet only adds a couple extra hours of gameplay. Basically, developers these days are charging people for content that should be free. :)

marcogamer07

True statement. I can't say more.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#39 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
not really, I remember buying snes rpgs every week that were like 84.99-89.99, compared to now, that was expensive.Allicrombie
I'd love to see the reactions from those prices now when people are complaining about $40-60.
DoctorMozG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DoctorMozG
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

marcogamer07

I'm agree with u at point where Nowadays devs makes dlc pay to play luxury. What happend with free patch ect, with additional quest ,map or whatever story?! :cry:

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Well, think about what you could do with $60. That's more than enough to buy a week's worth of food for yourself, or a full tank of gas.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not really... just most games don't carry enoughvalue to be worth paying $60 (or $70 here in Canada) for. I don't have any problems paying $60 for some games that I really like and get hundreds of hours of entertainment from... but games that last for one playthrough and really aren't that entertaining? Some are barely worth the $5-7 for the rental.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

Games are expensive, but they're cheaper than previous generations if you take inflation into account. I have some Genesis games that have $60+ price tags on them. The only thing that really bothers me now is companies nickel and diming us for content with DLC. If it's actually new content then that's great. If you're making us pay for an unlock key for content that's already on the frickin disk, then that's low.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Yes games are far to expensive. This is why I refuse to buy 99 percent of the games I want on the day they come out. I wait anywhere from 1 month - 1 year from release till the price drops to around 20 bucks. I very very rarely will pay more than 20 dollars for a video game
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
No...not at all. They are actually less expensive than before (when you take inflation into account) So games are cheaper than they were on the NES Hell, some games on the SNES were $75+...so cheaper even without counting inflation
Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

In a way, I think $60 is a little too much for a game. But, that depends on what the game is, what it has, and how long the game is. I can tell that in the future, games could go as high as $70 or maybe even $80. But when it gets to that point, I don't think games will be worth getting anymore. But, as usual, I could wait for a price drop.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

for what you get most of the time, yes. $40 would be a better price then $60

Gmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gmythe
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

It's very rare that I find a game that is worth $70 CAD. That's why I don't buy console games that much, and if I do, I wait until they go to $30 or cheaper. It's a waste of money to get a game when it first comes out.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Are you kidding me? Of course they are too expensive.

For the better part of two decades this industry has released one title after another on the PC that was delibrately released unfinished or so broken that even the most technically gifted of us could not get the game to run. Some have been in such poor condition that even the patches did not help.

To make it worse, a lot of developers dump millions into HD and now movie style 3D graphics that seem to do more for increasing the number of things that can wrong than improve the gameplay of the title. Most of those titles would have been better experiences if they aimed for less"realistic" graphics if only because the game would have had better stability.

The"best" part is how the industry continues to cry about priacy while sticking with the same proven to fail copy protection mechanics while dumping millions into beautiful but usless hi rez trailers and gameplay videos. If anyone can teach me how to tell if I'll find a game fun by watching someone else play I'd like to know. Even the titles I am sure I'll enjoy leave me with a meh vibe after watching those gameplay trailers.

Are games too expensive? Sheesh. That is like asking if water is wet.