Approached By Minor Gamer

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Hi, all!

I had an interesting experience today-- I was coming out of Gamestop with one of my colleagues from work and this kid walks up to us. He says, "Hi, I'm 17 and I'm about to turn 18, and I don't have ID. Can you buy Call of Duty for me?" I guess he was going to give us the money and have us go buy it for him. We had to tell him "no" as we were on our way back to school/work.

I've heard of minors asking adults to buy cigarettes or alcohol, but I've never had them ask me to buy them a game.

Has anybody ever had this happen? What did you do?

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
no but i think ( if i were 17) i would do it for someone.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
I have had minors ask me to buy cigs and beer for them but never a video game.
kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

in what country do you have to be 18 to buy COD?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

kate_jones

He forgot his ID, so I think he is saying hes 17 (which is fine) and almost 18. But he forgot his ID so he cannot get it no mater what. Yeah they NEVER used to card for games, but now they do.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MathMattS

Currently here in CA, a state senator is trying to get a bill passed that would make the sales of M-rated games to minors illegal.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Currently here in CA, a state senator is trying to get a bill passed that would make the sales of M-rated games to minors illegal.

MathMattS

I though minors can't arleady get games that is M. So are they banning the use of video games to a minor now?

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

Nah, stores around here still don't care. I saw a kid who was clearly like 10 or something buy an M rated game. The kid even asked the worker if he was allowed to buy the game. The worker at first seemed to wonder why he was being asked. Then I guess he realized "oh, right, it's rated M." Then he just asked the kid if his parents knew he was buying it, the kid said yeah. So he rang him through. It was hilarious to see.

I did have kids ask me to buy them cigarettes. I'm always like "no." I've been asked that a few times actually.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

I did something along those lines when I was young, to get a copy of Metal Gear Solid for PS1 from woolworths lol... They just wouldn't sell it to me.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MathMattS

[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

shadow13702

I though minors can't arleady get games that is M. So are they banning the use of video games to a minor now?

Right now, it's legal to sell M games to minors-- Gamestop and Wal-Mart just have policies that prohibit them from doing so. But the new bill proposes that the sale of M games to minors be illegal.

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

MathMattS

Right now, it's legal to sell M games to minors-- Gamestop and Wal-Mart just have policies that prohibit them from doing so. But the new bill proposes that the sale of M games to minors be illegal.

thats what I thought, the ESRB was only a recommendation in America, so currently anyone can buy any game. In Australia it's illegal, but since we don't have an R rating, COD is available to 15+
grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grounderman
Member since 2010 • 341 Posts

i refused based on their poor taste of games. i stood, silently disgusted.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

kate_jones

You have to be 18 in the Uk, Ireland and most of the rest of Europe.

My brothers 17 and Iwould reguarly buy him games.....But thats simply because alot of the time I disagree with the ages they put on the games.

For Example my brother has watched the Godfather, Resevoir Dogs and Scarface so I had no problem buying him Grand Theft Auto. Other Games I've got him are Resident Evil 4, Gears etc etc.

Howevr I wouldn't get it for a complete stranger.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Once, but it wasn't for an adult game. Apparantly his friends who were already inside would bully him if they saw him buy Super Mario bros for the DS, since he gave me the correct amount of money for it and it is a childfriendly game I figured why not and bought it for him. Upon which he tucked it inside his jacket as soon as I handed it and the reciept to him outside the store and thanked me. =P
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
I've had it happen before. As long as I get $20 of my own I'm fine with it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Not really. I was never approached by someone younger than me to buy them things that, especially a videogame.

Even if I'm a constant regular at my Gamestop, I still get carded for the mature games every now and then. It's bothersome sometimes, but at the same time, I don't mind it. Despite my age, they are only doing their jobs.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Yeah, in Chicago, stores like Best Buy are pretty strict as far as carding people for games. It is rather annoying, really. I'm well over 17 years old and I get rather annoyed when I get carded for anything--especially games.

shadow9669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 shadow9669
Member since 2007 • 702 Posts

I have never had a person come up to me asking me to buy them a game now thats another story for smokes.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I find it ludicrous that places like Gamestop and Walmart have such Policies. Its a game, its not like the kid is gonna walk into an airport and light up the place because he saw it in a game. It should be at the discretion of the parents to control what their kids are playing, not the stores, ESRB, or the government
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

I find it ludicrous that places like Gamestop and Walmart have such Policies. Its a game, its not like the kid is gonna walk into an airport and light up the place because he saw it in a game. It should be at the discretion of the parents to control what their kids are playing, not the stores, ESRB, or the government gmaster456

But that's the thing. If a kid's parents lets them play it, they are free to buy it for them. It's not illegal for them to play it. If stores didn't have these policies, then kids can buy the games and play them when they're parents aren't looking. It's easy, especially if it's a handheld game. It's not easy to monitor your kid 24/7 you know. Policies like these help.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
He was probably 15
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Hi, all!

I had an interesting experience today-- I was coming out of Gamestop with one of my colleagues from work and this kid walks up to us. He says, "Hi, I'm 17 and I'm about to turn 18, and I don't have ID. Can you buy Call of Duty for me?" I guess he was going to give us the money and have us go buy it for him. We had to tell him "no" as we were on our way back to school/work.

I've heard of minors asking adults to buy cigarettes or alcohol, but I've never had them ask me to buy them a game.

MathMattS

That's never happened to me.

But a question...did he at least offer you a tip?

I mean, when minors ask adults to buy them booze or tobacco, they don't usually say "will you please buy this for me?" Instead, they'll say something like, I'll pay you ten bucks to buy me that case of beer."

So just out of curiosity, how did your experience go? Did the kid say, "will you buy this game for me please?" Or did the kid instead say, "Hey buddy...I'll give you $15 if you buy that game for me"?

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Its illegal here in Britain as well, all games have a PEGI or BBFC rating, I needed myID to buy Batman AA which is a 15 (I was 18 ).I also saw a mom buy her 11 year old kid Saints Row 2.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I remember when I was 16 and went to England I had to get my 18 year old friend to buy Gears 2 for me because when I tried to do it I got carded. It was a huge shock for me because here in Madrid you almost never get carded for things like alcohol or tobacco, let alone games.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
I slapped that boy across the face and bought him Ico instead. His life has changed for the better
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

Its illegal here in Britain as well, all games have a PEGI or BBFC rating, I needed myID to buy Batman AA which is a 15 (I was 18).I also saw a mom buy her 11 year old kid Saints Row 2.

D1zzyCriminal

Conflicting quotes have destroyed my brain....... 'here in Britian', 'mom'.

The horror!!!!!!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

I wouldn't buy it from him, but only because I'd be an elitist bastard and tell him to spend his money on a better game.

*edit* Actually, that's not true. I wouldn't buy it for him anyway since he's underaged. But both of those are my reasons for saying no.

Avatar image for cyanidebakesale
cyanidebakesale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cyanidebakesale
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts
I've never had that happen, probably because I look underaged. I do remember some kid age 15/16 looking tried to get a homeless guy to buy him Gta 4 and the clerk told him to get out, "you just tried to buy it yourself. I know that isn't your parent. Stop wasting my time."
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
I'd do it. If they give me something extra.
bALTHar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bALTHar86
Member since 2008 • 567 Posts

I've had kids outside the supermarket ask me to buy them cigs or booze. I've always just smiled and said 'no, sorry' and walked on. Its never happened with a game before, my reaction would probably be the same though.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I would point and laugh doing this...

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

Hasn't happend to me personally but some funny stories in here overall. I also think its hilarious some kids want video games as badly as other kids want cigrettes and alcohol. I say if the poor kid wants the game that bad get it for him, let him play it, or better yet make it legal for him to buy it so he doesn't have to petition strangers to do something "illegal" for him. Seriously, who's causing more trouble, the kid in his basement playing video games, or the kids out there getting plastered and sharing lung cancer?

Furthermore there has been a case where preventing a kid from playing a "violent" video game, in this case Halo, a 16 yr old kid murdered both his parents after they wouldn't let him play it even after he went out and was able to buy it with his own money. Hows that for some ironic S#@!. It was on one random news channel or the other but which one exactly escapes me at the moment.

So wheres the violence really coming from the kids or the games they play? Seems to me like a kid who is going to do something like that is going to do it whether he plays halo, or grand theft auto or any other game of the sort or not. You cant blame the game here, because the kid probably would have done the same if they would have kept him from listening to a cd, or watching some other movie he wanted to see, or basically just otherwise telling him no about something on a bad day.

Video games don't kill people, crazy a$$ people kill people.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

I might buy it for him if he promised to break his headset/mic in half and never ever play it on Xbox Live.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'd just laugh in their face. Or I'd ask them why they want the game in the first place... and tell them why they could easily just go find something they could buy and have it be fun.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Aw man, askin' on the way OUT of Gamestop isn't gonna work. The clerks' gonna see that you already cashed out and left, and see the kid outside peerin' through the window lol. You gotta get 'em on the way IN XD

Ratings laws/policies are kinda funny. Though if your parents don't care if you play an M rated game it's an easy fix, just bring them in, problem solved. I've been carded for video games and CD's way back in the day. At the movie theater too. But I've never been carded for buying an R rated DVD. I wonder why they let DVDs slip.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

I just put on my mean face when around minors. :evil:

Then I go back to being myself after they are out of view. :D

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I regularly get asked by local kids (mostly girls) to buy them alcohol and I always refuse. I've never had a minor ask me to buy a video game though, and I'd probably refuse them because if they're asking me to buy it for them, then that suggests to me that their parent/guardian has obviously already told them "no" - so now they're resorting to asking strangers.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes i would because i used to be the kid who asked people to buy me booze.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I've seen it happen many a time.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkCatalyst

I regularly get asked by local kids (mostly girls) to buy them alcohol and I always refuse. I've never had a minor ask me to buy a video game though, and I'd probably refuse them because if they're asking me to buy it for them, then that suggests to me that their parent/guardian has obviously already told them "no" - so now they're resorting to asking strangers.

KlepticGrooves
I'd look at that as an opportunity to profit, AND have the kid learn a valuable lesson when he gets his game taken away anyway.
EclipXe-Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EclipXe-Games
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="D1zzyCriminal"]

Its illegal here in Britain as well, all games have a PEGI or BBFC rating, I needed myID to buy Batman AA which is a 15 (I was 18).I also saw a mom buy her 11 year old kid Saints Row 2.

MattDistillery

The horror!!!!!!

Mom and Mum tend to be used within the UK though "Mum" is the more so popular. As well as that, I thought PEGI ratings are a guide and BBFC are the law. That is why older games tend to be givin BBFC ratings rather than PEGI.
hayabusatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 hayabusatan
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts

Some 14 year old asked me to get him Mw2 last November, he handed me £ 58 and I saw a great opportunity.

I brought him a pre owned copy for £ 35 and sneakily became £23 richer :P Of course I didn't stick around for long.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkCatalyst

Some 14 year old asked me to get him Mw2 last November, he handed me £ 58 and I saw a great opportunity.

I brought him a pre owned copy for £ 35 and sneakily became £23 richer :P Of course I didn't stick around for long.

hayabusatan
Win. :)
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MathMattS

[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

Hi, all!

MrGeezer

That's never happened to me.

But a question...did he at least offer you a tip?

I mean, when minors ask adults to buy them booze or tobacco, they don't usually say "will you please buy this for me?" Instead, they'll say something like, I'll pay you ten bucks to buy me that case of beer."

So just out of curiosity, how did your experience go? Did the kid say, "will you buy this game for me please?" Or did the kid instead say, "Hey buddy...I'll give you $15 if you buy that game for me"?

No, he didn't offer me a tip. He just asked me if I would buy the game for him. But my friend and I were heading back to school/work, so we didn't buy it for him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

[QUOTE="MattDistillery"]

The horror!!!!!!

EclipXe-Games

Mom and Mum tend to be used within the UK though "Mum" is the more so popular. As well as that, I thought PEGI ratings are a guide and BBFC are the law. That is why older games tend to be givin BBFC ratings rather than PEGI.

Nope, no one who uses the correct English language in the UK should ever spell it "Mom".

Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

should have taken the money and got yourself another game

hayabusatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 hayabusatan
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
[QUOTE="hayabusatan"]

DarkCatalyst
Win. :)

The pirates life is teh life for me.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Um...yea lol, and i bought it for them.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
I find it ludicrous that places like Gamestop and Walmart have such Policies. Its a game, its not like the kid is gonna walk into an airport and light up the place because he saw it in a game. It should be at the discretion of the parents to control what their kids are playing, not the stores, ESRB, or the government gmaster456
I guess its also ludicrous that you have to b e a certain age to drink ? or to smoke? It should be up to the parents, not the goverment. !