anyone having issues with female leads in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grandacemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grandacemaster
Member since 2010 • 111 Posts

tomb raider adn suikoden 3 are the ony games i have played with female leads and have not have had nay problems at all, most people say ffx-2 has female leads issues, but i do not think that will matter me.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I don't have any issues with female leads in video games at all. As long as the story is good and they are well-developed throughout the game as the character, that's fine.

But there are some girls, in videogames, that were just downright annoying, such as FFXIII's Vanille, the cheerful girl.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I really don't have any problems with it. If anything, female leads tend to occur in games with good stories (well, except for the heroines that are simply there for sex appeal), so perhaps there's a tiny bit of extra appeal in buying games with female leads?
1zenron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 1zenron1
Member since 2010 • 672 Posts

Japanese games in general has problems with female leads. The problem with FX-2 was the extreme character shift of the main female character, Yuna. They made her over sexualised in comparison and it just ruined her character for me. I went ahead and found an article from The Escapist which shows my thoughts on this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_279/8296-Wussy-RPG-Girls I would suggest you read it. It's quite informative. But anyway, other than that, there aren't really many female leads that I've played as, except when they're there just as eye candy.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

In a game like Suikoden 3, Enslaved, Mass Effect, Parasite Eve, Metroid (except for Other M), etc I have no problem with female leads.

In games like Heavy Rain (Madison) where their only purpose is sex appeal and no thought was put into the or their purpose for the story then I really hate them. Of course no thought was put into the story in that game at all. In a game like Bayonetta I don't really mind it though (I did hate her character very much) because that is just the style of the entire game, it's not just out of place random sexual themes unlike the changes made to the FFX-2 characters.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
My main Shepard in Mass Effect is a woman and so were my characters in both KOTOR games and Jade Empire
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Japanese games have awful female characters. Yes Vanille from FF13 is one of them, but don't forget nearly all other *** games. Western games on the other hand make good female leads. Faith from Mirror's Edge is a good one. I only like them if they're actually useful and not just exist for the sole purpose of being hot and making people horney.
Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

I have a problem with female lead characters - not that they are in the game, but that they are almost always potrayed as some sex bomb with bib boobs and stuff. Alyx for example from Half-Life series and Faith from Mirror's Edge are great exeptions, they look more real than 99% of the female lead characters!

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I have a problem with female lead characters - not that they are in the game, but that they are almost always potrayed as some sex bomb with bib boobs and stuff. Alyx for example from Half-Life series and Faith from Mirror's Edge are great exeptions, they look more real than 99% of the female lead characters!

BattleforAzerot

I agree fully. It makes me feel like I'm not taken seriously as a gamer when the developers implement stuff obviously directed at insecure teenagers, like the sex scenes in the God of War series... that was just pathetic.

Faith and especially Alyx were a breath of fresh air in this regard.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What do you mean "issues"? Do you mean they aren't realistic women and are just what males idealize them to be? Because then yes, I have issues with the majority of gaming women. Especially after finding out that women aren't how I idealized them to be.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Don't mind it at all. Looking forward to the Alice game coming out late this year.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#12 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I am actually in favor of more female leads.

Beyond Good and Evil is one of my favorite games. Jade is awesome.

I also think we should have a GTA heroine.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44308 Posts
No I don't have any issues with female leads in games.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#14 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Of course not. As long as the game is something that I find appealing, then what difference does it make?

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Not a problem at all, just as long as they arent there for sex appeal.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Septerra Core isn't bad.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Septerra Core isn't bad.BranKetra
I had that game way back in the day, wow. That was a while ago now. It was the only thing that would run on my crappy PC at the time. I like female leads, they tend to make things more interesting than the generic bald grizzled space marines/Brown haired thirty something year old white guy who is a charming rogue. Mass Effects female Shep is played by Jennifer Hale, and her performance is so much stronger than the male actor that I consider her the "real" Shephard, despite the default male model being absolutely everywhere for the promotions of the game.
TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

No, it's more about the game. It doesn't matter to me if the lead is male or female, as long as they're a good character.

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

No, as long as the story and game are good the lead can be a transgender (don't think there is a game with one in as the lead though) for all I care.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Mirror's Edge is a fantastic game. That has a female lead. KOTOR II allows you to choose what gender you play as, but the character you play is specified as being female by canon sources. Just like it's canon that she was good / light.

I don't see a problem.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

No, I actually prefer female leads.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
No issue for me. I actually make my characters in games female when I have the option.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I used to be bothered by this alot but now I just don't care. As long as there is at least one or two male party members then I'll be fine. Then again, I can't stand games with an all female cast.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Septerra Core isn't bad.SteveTabernacle
I had that game way back in the day, wow. That was a while ago now. It was the only thing that would run on my crappy PC at the time. I like female leads, they tend to make things more interesting than the generic bald grizzled space marines/Brown haired thirty something year old white guy who is a charming rogue. Mass Effects female Shep is played by Jennifer Hale, and her performance is so much stronger than the male actor that I consider her the "real" Shephard, despite the default male model being absolutely everywhere for the promotions of the game.

Yup, Septerra Core is a good game. About female leads, that's probably why I prefer JRPGs more. The main characters usually have the same base attributes (good looking, sometimes androgynous, etc), but once that's built on, the diversity is good. I watched a video series on youtube called "Commander Shepard is such a jerk/is still a jerk," then the ones for the female version. Female version seemed better. I've played both Mass Effects as a male, too.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I don't have a problem with it. As long as she just isn't there to look at and has a backstory, etc.

orbit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 orbit79
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleforAzerot"]

DraugenCP

I agree fully. It makes me feel like I'm not taken seriously as a gamer when the developers implement stuff obviously directed at insecure teenagers, like the sex scenes in the God of War series... that was just pathetic.

Faith and especially Alyx were a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Yup, you're both right I think. When you take the fact that the apparent average age of gamers is 30, creating female characters with ridiculous proportions seems a little pointless, many of us have partners, and those who don't are still likely to have slightly more realistic visions of women than are portraid in many games. In short, gamers have grown up, and I think it's an area that the games industry needs to grow up a bit in as well. Having said that, I'm sure it still does make some commercial sense, particularly if the game is aimed at a younger demographic (not to say that all younger players go for such games either of course). Games like Mirrors Edge seem to be moving in the right direction, so maybe the industry is maturing to some degree.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I have issues with people who have complexes about playing as a female character in a game.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

I have issues with people who have complexes about playing as a female character in a game.

Bigboi500

This. I am fine with playing as either of the two genders, as long as the context makes sense.