Anyone else miss traditional deathmatch?

Avatar image for exothermicgamer
ExothermicGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ExothermicGamer
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

I like FPS games. I played HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of hours in the original Call of Duty games (COD4, MW2) and Battlefield 3, Halo, Gears of War.

Now it is all Battle Royale and it just sucks. It is 15 minutes meandering around from building to building doing f*ck all only to be taken out in the final 10 before you've taken a breath because they got lucky on the items they found.

Then you get to go back in for another 15 minutes of nothing. That isn't fun to me in the slightest. At least in the games I mentioned above you'd occasionally come out with an MVP badge or something. In all of the 100 odd hours I've thrown myself at Fortnite and Apex I've won maybe 3 times tops. It's pointless and unrewarding.

Now don't get me wrong I DESPISE what COD has become. I wouldn't play a new COD if they gave it away for free but that is because they ruined it by penalising good players and trying to iron out skill gaps. Lagging games on purpose and making it so you die in one bullet from pretty much any gun stripped all fun from the game.

Or they try to change the formula too much and fail like Titanfall did.

The problem wasn't that traditional shooters were getting old it's that they milked COD so much that THAT became old. The tired brown military shooter got old. The crafting in Fortnite or the wall running antics of Titanfall though would be great.

I do still like tradition game modes though. Deathmatch, capture the flag, search and destroy, king of the hill. They are still awesome. If they made a new game that didn't suck but had traditional game modes I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Instead all we have is unrewarding trash like Apex. You don't even feel like you make progress in Apex because the exp they dribble out is so tiny and all the unlocks are tied to pathetic loot boxes.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Umm if you hate apex wtf would you spend hundred hours on it?? Plenty of games out there, that offer what you seek

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I miss Team Survival from Rainbow Six 3. 3 rounds, one life per round - no respawns. I played that game/mode for about 5 years on my OG Xbox and loved it. No one does that mode anymore and it’s all about timer respawns which bores me to tears.

Solo BR (which I love), brings this back with a lot more people, but matches take a hell of a long time...assuming you’re semi decent at the game.

edit @exothermicgamer

15 minutes is all you last for in BR games? In other words you’ve never won? Is that enough to dismiss a genre millions of us enjoy? Just because you’re not good at them? That’s a bit one sided.

I believe BR haters are just bad at them and give up without learning how to play them properly.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@exothermicgamer:

Anyone else miss traditional deathmatch?

. . . I play Quake: Champions frequently so don't understand the issue. Though doesn't exactly get much attention being originally released as a F2P Arena Shooter with hero abilities. Has come a long way since 2017.

Now it is all Battle Royale and it just sucks.

I think it's far too easy to blame Battle Royale. Fundamentally isn't an issue, just a mode offering something new.

Battle Royale is just like Horde mode or Capture the Flag. It's keeping the overall multiplayer shooter genre relevant towards the easily bored majority needing the refresher. The same kind of people who thought WoW was the greatest thing ever, MOBAs, and not to mention all those popular team-base Death Match games with lovely loot-boxes.

Death Match games still exists and have a healthy sum of players.

Avatar image for exothermicgamer
ExothermicGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ExothermicGamer
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

@RSM-HQ: It is a problem because Battle Royale has almost entirely replaced traditional modes. If they released a game like Apex that had Royale and traditional arena modes that would be awesome but they don't. It's Royale or nothing.

Quake Champions is literally the only example. Plus I personally think the game is lacking in a lot of areas. I mean they don't give a game away for free for nothing.

@djoffer I haven't played Apex for hundreds of hours I've played Fortnite and Apex in total for about 100 hours. What games offer traditional game modes? Other than Quake Champions which is basically dead.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@exothermicgamer:

It is a problem because Battle Royale has almost entirely replaced traditional modes. If they released a game like Apex that had Royale and traditional arena modes that would be awesome but they don't. It's Royale or nothing.

Quake Champions is literally the only example. Plus I personally think the game is lacking in a lot of areas. I mean they don't give a game away for free for nothing.

That contradicts your view with Battle Royale which apparently is taking over (many stated the same of party games like Rockband and Guitar Hero). Anyway both Apex Legends and Fortnite are the biggest and highest quality BR games on the market, and are free2play just like Quake: Champions.

You also need to factor Warframe is free2play and is a better quality looter shooter than Anthem, the comparison in quality and quantity isn't even close.

F2P is just a business model; in-which they expect players to purchase micro-transactions. Joke is on id Software, Epic, and EA because I've played all three those big games and spent nothing.

What's more a joke is when games are full retail price and try to charge for an abundance of content day-one, fine examples of this is the flop known as Battlefront and Evolve.

Would recommend trying Quake: Champions before writing it off, seems like the game you are after. See for yourself. I mean. . what do you have to lose if it's free?

Other than Quake Champions which is basically dead.

Come on now. .

Steam charts state Q:C had over a thousand players in the past 24 hours. Rarely wait long for matchmaking as well. Doesn't exactly have millions on the player count but calling it "dead" is a false claim. If you jump in, you will find matches easily.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44274 Posts

There’s only a handful of Battle Royal games and still lots of games out there that have traditional deathmatch modes in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

What I miss in MP gaming

• No regenerating health.
  • No perks or kill cams.
  • No microstractions or lootboxes.
  • Players allowed to rent servers you don't see it much these days if any.
  • When MP gaming wasn't made to extort money from you.
goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts
@exothermicgamer said:

Or they try to change the formula too much and fail like Titanfall did.

Erm.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Nope, I find plain vanilla DM to be incredibly outdated. And unless there is some sort of ranking system, it can be quite frustrating because if you are average skilled you are going to get your ass whooped.

It's fun on occasion--lord knows I played some Team DM on the various Battlefield games over the years--but even that is still class-based.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Unreal and Quake are still very fun to me.

I play from time to time Unreal Tournament III on my PS3. When you put some modifyer it turns so much fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59067 Posts

Haven't got the inclination to put the work in, so, no.

Lucked out getting into gaming the 90's, really when it peaked.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Haven't we still got CoD for this?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Not really... no.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Nah, doesn't really do it for me anymore. Game needs to have some sort of objective. Even if it's something simple like Battlefield's take on King of the Hill (Frontlines mode), it keeps matches focused on something and not just a bunch of folk running in circles looking for each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

And unless there is some sort of ranking system, it can be quite frustrating because if you are average skilled you are going to get your ass whooped.

I loved whooping mediocre players in Max Payne 3. If you've trained that much, you deserve it. Wish it was still as active as it was even two years ago. Opening the game is almost always a waste of time now. Don't get why people would rather play some trash like GTA Online.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

And unless there is some sort of ranking system, it can be quite frustrating because if you are average skilled you are going to get your ass whooped.

I loved whooping mediocre players in Max Payne 3. If you've trained that much, you deserve it. Wish it was still as active as it was even two years ago. Opening the game is almost always a waste of time now. Don't get why people would rather play some trash like GTA Online.

Exactly my point. If they're better than you, that's one thing; the problem is, these better players are often predatory, which is annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Exactly my point. If they're better than you, that's one thing; the problem is, these better players are often predatory, which is annoying.

No, what's annoying are pansies who give up too easily and use the kick option when they face anyone more experienced than them. Any game has a learning curve. Whooping one newb is depressing, but dominating in a match is thrilling. All of us have dominated hordes of AI. It's satisfying knowing your enemies were human, that they had brains, and you still crushed them all. Winning is the whole point of Deathmatch. Participants have no reason to bitch, unless the pro is abusing exploits.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ
@ezekiel43 said:

No, what's annoying are pansies who give up too easily and use the kick option when they face anyone more experienced than them. Any game has a learning curve.

Exactly, what ever happened to the term 'never ventured, never gained'?

Personally love the early stages of jumping in a multiplayer game. Learning what the player-base exploits, and player quirks are very satisfying to me. It's part the competitive charm.

If one takes these kind of loses and wins personal they probably shouldn't consider competitive multiplayer games to begin with. It gives the modes an ill-reputation.

These modes are made for the masses, not one throwing a tantrum to spoil everyone's good time.