Anyone else looking forward to Mechwarrior 5 on Xbox this month?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By dabear

Poll Anyone else looking forward to Mechwarrior 5 on Xbox this month? (7 votes)

Yes! I have been waiting for more mech action since MechAssault 2! 43%
No! The PC version is already out, and it's not that good. 43%
LOL Mech games... 14%

I am interested to see how they will simplify the controls, and if they worked out the bugs and dumb AI. I really want it not to suck.

It is scheduled to arrive on Xbox X/S and Xbone 5/27.

Link

• 
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I was really excited when they announced a new Mechwarrior game after 18 years, but the game that eventually came out was a bit disappointing. The end result was too fast paced. It didn't feel like a mech game so much as it felt like an FPS with some mild vehicle elements. Mech games should be slow and deliberate or else it's just mech window dressing. Also, the missions didn't play out particularly well. They felt less like planned missions and more like levels with enemy spawn points. The game just starts spawning in conventional vehicles to harass you while you approach your objective. The merc company management elements were OK, but they felt like a very weak version of what you got with the turn-based Battletech game from Harebrained.

Overall the game was underwhelming.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

I'd rather hear about a new Heavy Gear or SHOGO game, to be honest.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Played some older Mech Warrior (2 and 3) games and was always more of an Armored Core fan myself. Mechanically never clicked with Mech Warrior, despite trying a few times.

Cool for fans that this franchise lives-on at anycase. Unlike Armored Core which is sadly very dead, only the Metal Wolf Chaos Remaster brings it back ever so slightly. .

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd rather hear about a new Heavy Gear or SHOGO game, to be honest.

This.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

@Byshop said:

I was really excited when they announced a new Mechwarrior game after 18 years, but the game that eventually came out was a bit disappointing. The end result was too fast paced. It didn't feel like a mech game so much as it felt like an FPS with some mild vehicle elements. Mech games should be slow and deliberate or else it's just mech window dressing. Also, the missions didn't play out particularly well. They felt less like planned missions and more like levels with enemy spawn points. The game just starts spawning in conventional vehicles to harass you while you approach your objective. The merc company management elements were OK, but they felt like a very weak version of what you got with the turn-based Battletech game from Harebrained.

Very underwhelming. Agree about the fast-paced gameplay; felt more like an arcade game than a mech sim. Emphasis on sim; I mean I know it's unrealistic and therefore hard to be a true sim, but at least it felt like they were trying to take it serious in the older games.

Mechwarrior has always been a nice counter to Japanese "mecha" stuff; where the Japanese make the sleek and fast mechs that are essentially ninja, the mech of Mechwarrior/Battletech always felt more hulking and heavy. There's room for both kinds, just sad to see Mechwarrior 5 go a different route.

Ah well, a guy can still hope for Mech Commander 3 I suppose.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:

Very underwhelming. Agree about the fast-paced gameplay; felt more like an arcade game than a mech sim. Emphasis on sim; I mean I know it's unrealistic and therefore hard to be a true sim, but at least it felt like they were trying to take it serious in the older games.

Mechwarrior has always been a nice counter to Japanese "mecha" stuff; where the Japanese make the sleek and fast mechs that are essentially ninja, the mech of Mechwarrior/Battletech always felt more hulking and heavy. There's room for both kinds, just sad to see Mechwarrior 5 go a different route.

Ah well, a guy can still hope for Mech Commander 3 I suppose.

Yeah, after the disappointment of that game I actually busted out my original Xbox so I could play more Steel Battalion instead. Now that's a mech game.

Yes, the old Battletech stuff is certainly contrary to the style of anime mechs (except the couple designs they stole from the Macross series and got sued by Harmony Gold).

To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of the Mech Commander games. Realtime isometric didn't appeal to me. The Harebrained Studios turn-based game, though. I've got 130 hours in that game.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8887 Posts

@Byshop: I still have my steel batallion controller and game. I was thinking of selling it on eBay!