Anyone else kinda hate Gamestop

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Well I'm about to stop going to one of my Gamestops completely since I try to go buy new games but they get rid of all the extras and then try to rip me off by getting me to pay full price but I never have bought one new that didn't have everything

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Yeah, that annoys me, I go online, figure what comes with the game, and if something's missing I "ask" about it. ;)

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

There's no Gamestop in my country but I have to say that they seem a lot better than EB.

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

Meh, it suits my gaming needs.

And how do they rip you off?

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

There's no Gamestop in my country but I have to say that they seem a lot better than EB.

garathe_den
Same thing, literally the EXACT same thing there is no difference. There was an EB in my mall, it closed down and a Gamestop opened up a few stores down, it was the exact same store, with the exact same employees. I am starting to become pissed off with EB/GS, first off the used game section seems to be shrinking daily and they are charging 29.99 for a used copy of NG2, I went to a super market and saw it for 29.99 brand spanking new and at Blockbuster it is 14.99 used, maybe it is just the one by my house because I had a great experience in a GS the other day and I usually do, just last time I went I left bummed out cause they had no stock, and lots of games seemed too expensive.
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xenogears_Rocks

jessmaster13

By selling a game for the new price that doesn't have every thing it would have if you bought it some where else the problem with this game I want is that no place else has it

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
I love Gamestop, I can buy my games there. They do try to get you to preorder stuff, but you don't have to if you don't want to. All you have to do is say No! Gamestop is also great to buy used ps2/xbox games at, it's a decent price and a wide variety of selection if used games. I still don't get why people hate Gamestop so much. They might overcharge on games sometimes and ripped you off when you sell your game to them, but you don't have to sell or buy from them. In the end it is your choice.
jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="jessmaster13"]

Xenogears_Rocks

By selling a game for the new price that doesn't have every thing it would have if you bought it some where else the problem with this game I want is that no place else has it

Oh you mean if it's used but it's sold at a new price?

LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

See this thread all the time. Lots of people hate GameStop, myself included. They don't check trade-ins to see if they work; the 3 items that I bought used from GameStop all had problems and ended up being returned. And I've gotten sketchy "new" products before; that is, they were not really new.

Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xenogears_Rocks

See this thread all the time. Lots of people hate GameStop, myself included. They don't check trade-ins to see if they work; the 3 items that I bought used from GameStop all had problems and ended up being returned. And I've gotten sketchy "new" products before; that is, they were not really new.

LiquidClear

I know I still don't see how they can say it's new after they open itand if they didn't open the games they wouldn't lose the artbooks and soundtracks

WYATT0313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WYATT0313
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i hate Gamestop
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Gamestop is alright

for games i usually go to either craiglist or gamecrazy. i highly suggest gamecrazy to just about anybody. its awesome

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Stores like EB and Gamestop are just kinda overpriced (that's why I don't like them that much). I've only went in there like 3 times and been satisfied. I don't go to Gamestop much but I have been to it before.

When I go in EB it's usually just to look at the games they have and the overbloated prices. Even the used games are mad expensive!

toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

God, you people must go to some crappy Gamestops. Dunno what it is with everyone and their mishaps with this place. I've never had a problem with the one I've gone too. It's true that some of their deals are ripoffs(can't remember off the top of my head; I know there was one where you could trade in your DS Lite or something?), but that's why I never buy new video game systems from them. I don't go there a lot anymore though. The employees are nice and willing to help you out, because they actually are video gamers. But of course, that's obviously not true every where else. ;)

kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
i think gamestop is great for the most part. as long as you know what your buying youll be alright. i never buy without some clue as to the value of a game. new or used it doesnt matter. take dead space for instance. its $35 new at gs but is $30 at target. i knew that but bought the used copy for less than $30. i think it was worth it since i hate target more. when i shop gs i have a list of games and prices in my phone i want and see what i can do. i find their prices to be competitive for the most part. i do find some real gems everyonce in a while that surprise me. just yesterday i got persona 3 and 4 for $15 each brand new. i wasnt looking for them but ive never really seen them before, never mind that cheap. i just grabbed them without thinking about it. what im really starting to dislike is those game collectors stores that are popping up now. while they do have the older games that i like im definintely gonna pay for it. i dont need some creepy guy telling me the original megamans are so much better than the gc anniversary version and i need to buy them all for the small price of 20 bucks a piece.
HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts

God, you people must go to some crappy Gamestops. Dunno what it is with everyone and their mishaps with this place. I've never had a problem with the one I've gone too. It's true that some of their deals are ripoffs(can't remember off the top of my head; I know there was one where you could trade in your DS Lite or something?), but that's why I never buy new video game systems from them. I don't go there a lot anymore though. The employees are nice and willing to help you out, because they actually are video gamers. But of course, that's obviously not true every where else. ;)

toxic_jackal
While there are nice employees at GS/EB, most of the time they are kind of irritated and annoyed because of the ungodly workload the managers force on them. I've noticed that they are a lot more nicer than you if you are older (16+) than if you were younger. I for one only use GS because it is the closest thing next to me. Best Buy is around 20 minutes away and the last GameCrazy I knew about just closed shop. When I use to console game, I just bought the game new. No one can rip you off if they are charging $50 across the board, minus that crazy retail chain just shooting itself in the foot by selling their games for $35.
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xenogears_Rocks

toxic_jackal

Yeah my Gamestop is crappy I even called and asked if the game had everything and they said yes and when I went to get it they couldn't find anything that was supposed to come with it. I really wanted Ar Tonelico 2

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

Maybe the key would be to not buy new.

Still a great source for cheap last gen games and to just shoot the breeze for a while with people that have a common interest.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I never shop at Gamestop anymore, crowded stores, clueless salespeople and aisle after aisle of used games that no one buys, its a lame store.
joeywiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joeywiz
Member since 2008 • 188 Posts

Think about it - in any other store for any other item, would they charge full price for something that had been opened? I grew very frustrated with them. It seems like every time I want a semi-rare game that they have, I always call to the various stores around and they tell me the same thing - We only have one copy left - the shelf copy that is opened. Plus, it always leaves a sticky residue when you peel away their price stickers on used games or shelf copies. I try to keep all of my stuff mint.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

yeah I hate gamestop I refuse to shop there.

I get all my current games at game Crazy

and all my retro games at Disc Replay.

CrashMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrashMan09
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts

I hate GameStop. Everyone should just avoid these stores like the plague and shop at Game Crazy.

Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

Meh; I get some good used games occasionally. Fatal Frame 2 and 3, Clock Tower 3 (two bucks), both Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (five bucks), and so on. But their deals on new games aren't so great...

Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xenogears_Rocks

Think about it - in any other store for any other item, would they charge full price for something that had been opened? I grew very frustrated with them. It seems like every time I want a semi-rare game that they have, I always call to the various stores around and they tell me the same thing - We only have one copy left - the shelf copy that is opened. Plus, it always leaves a sticky residue when you peel away their price stickers on used games or shelf copies. I try to keep all of my stuff mint.

joeywiz

I know and they don't discount that copy really Gamestop rips off someone with every shipment of new games they get since someone will get stuck with the gutted copy the guy I talked to at one of the stores just yesterday said we have that game but it's the gutted copy we put on the floor

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

garathe_den
Gamestop bought out EB, Babbage's, and FuncoLand.
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="garathe_den"]

UT_Wrestler

Really? EB bought out the only other store that was left here as the third went into liquidation, which is why I dislike them (well, one of the many reasons). Maybe they're under the US Gamestop, but I doubt that anyone here knows or cares what Gamestop is so it hasn't come to our attention.

It just annoys me that soulless companies like them have to buy out all their competition to keep their prices high. They don't really have the atmosphere that makes me want to go to the store, or the customer service.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I used to go there when they had used PS2 games, 3 for $10. They havent' had that in ages, now it's 1 of $10, which is about what a lot of them sell for new. For PS3 games, I went in there looking for Resistance Fall of Man. They had it at Amazon for $24 including shipping. Gamestop had it for $30. I decided to buy it anyway, but when I got up to the counter they didn't actually have the disk for it. He offered me a used copy for "A couple bucks less". So they wanted $4 more for a used copy than Amazon wants for a new copy. Meh. Don't go there much anymore.

BRi4NB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BRi4NB
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

I have at least 6 Gamestops within 30 minutes from my house. They each suck. They have more coppies of Madden for PS2, than total GameCube games. They have no PS1 or N64 games. They print out box art and put it in a dvd case. If I ask for a game, they never heard of it. The list goes on.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I love GameStop. I shop there all the time. There are no other game stores anywhere near me. The prices for the used Xbox games are pretty reasonable, and the staff members to whom I've talked have always been decent. I was only asked to preorder something once, and he only asked me once. I've never had any problems with the store whatsoever.
falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

I have at least 6 Gamestops within 30 minutes from my house. They each suck. They have more coppies of Madden for PS2, than total GameCube games. They have no PS1 or N64 games. They print out box art and put it in a dvd case. If I ask for a game, they never heard of it. The list goes on.

BRi4NB

totally agree with you. there are only 3 gamestops i've been to here in germany but i noticed the exact same things. in addition, they charge you almost full price for a used copy (new copy: 59 €, used one: 55 € ) for blockbuster games. the same goes for other games even though, they are a bit cheaper but still to expensive to buy the used copy over a new one. the selection is aweful since they only seem to have blockbuster titles for the most part. if you are looking for some niche titles, you better get lost. their trade-in values are a complete joke too. every other gamesshop if been to was better than gamestop just for the fact, that they were way cheaper (got uncharted for 29 € shortly after launch used), had a higher variety of games (even SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Saturn...) and were competent.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

the gamestop i go to has games i think are worth buying which out number sports games

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Most gamestops in my area suck. I work at one, the overall store policies are rather lame but at least i'm knowledgeable, unlike most gamestop employees.
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xenogears_Rocks

I used to go there when they had used PS2 games, 3 for $10. They havent' had that in ages, now it's 1 of $10, which is about what a lot of them sell for new. For PS3 games, I went in there looking for Resistance Fall of Man. They had it at Amazon for $24 including shipping. Gamestop had it for $30. I decided to buy it anyway, but when I got up to the counter they didn't actually have the disk for it. He offered me a used copy for "A couple bucks less". So they wanted $4 more for a used copy than Amazon wants for a new copy. Meh. Don't go there much anymore.

Jackc8

They did that to me to I can't believe it's happend before where they sell you an empty case with no disc that's just poor everything on there part

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Back in the day gamespot used to be great. Great staff. Good benefits to trading in games (there were bonuses to turning in more and more games, such as being able to buy 1 get 1 free after so many trade ins). You used to get more for the games you turned in as well. Especially back around 2000-2001. Around 2004 most games used to give you 5-7$, although some gave you more. Now you get 2-3$ per game. It's terrible and so is the staff.

They also used to carry PS1 games, which was an amazing resource and I wish I had known which games were rare so I could pick them up then.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="garathe_den"]

UT_Wrestler

And Software Etc, where I bought my first copy of Final Fantasy VII for PC. Ahhh ... the memories.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#37 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

I hateGamestop now. Go Gamecrazy.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dragonfly110

BRi4NB

I know, I went there once asking when they were getting the new banjo Kazooie game and he said "err you mean the one on PS2?um that came out a few weeks ago"

I loled and never went there again

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts

i'm already anoyed and upset up to here

BRi4NB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BRi4NB
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

As much as I hate those bastards, I couldn't pass up the buy two get one free sale that they have going on right now. I feel almost as dirty as I do when I look at my ex wife.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

the gamestop i go to has games i think are worth buying which out number sports games

bigM10231
last time i went i saw super mario 3 and world for gba kingdom hearts 1 and 2 gta4 gta 3 zelda windwaker mario party ds and 7 fallout 3 pgr 4
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
The only problem with Gamestop I see is how they don't give you anything for trading in games. If you don't trade it in within the first 7-14 days, you'll barely get even half back, and they turn around and sell that game for just $5 off the original new price. It's how they make money, but I don't like how that works.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Eh, I shop there occassionally, but that's mainly due to the fact that where I live it's about the only place you can find certain titles(games from Atlus and NIS come to mind), and every now and then I'll find a gem that I missed playing before that's in good shape.

On a side note, the one I go to most is NOT employed by talking monkeys(been to those stores *shudders*), and know exactly what my tastes are: 1. If I want to preorder something, I'll preorder it. 2. New game not in shrink wrap=no sale 3. I don't buy extended warranties, ESPECIALLY on games. Why they started that is beyond me.

They know those little things about me, so those things are never mentioned so I still shop there. When that changes I'll shop elsewhere.

Avatar image for Dragonspear2462
Dragonspear2462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dragonspear2462
Member since 2007 • 384 Posts

Gamestop is sometime good..sometime bad....well...they are one of the biggest game store(You could easilyfind a game youarelooking for)...

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dragonfly110

As much as I hate those bastards, I couldn't pass up the buy two get one free sale that they have going on right now. I feel almost as dirty as I do when I look at my ex wife.

BRi4NB

that made me lol, but yeah Im no better despite all I said abefore Im going there tomorrow to pick up some games...

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

I HATE gamestop. Only fanboys work their, and the trade in prices are disgusting.

Spaghedward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spaghedward
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
At Gamestop the store is supposed to alert you when your preorder comes in. For example, Phoenix Wright T&T, I pre ordered it, the release date passed annnnnnnnnd....NO CALL! After 3 days I called them. Me: Hi I preordered T&T do you have it. Employee: Oh yeah we've got that game. THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME!!!!! I now preorder all of my games on Amazon.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Yep, I'm on the "i hate Gamestop" bandwagon...... I think Gamecrazy is WAY better (attached to most Hollywood Video Rentals). I'd say of all the games i've bought, I think i've bought like 2 or 3 at Gamestop. MOst of my games come from local small shops, gamecrazy, amazon, or best buy. The used prices at Gamestop are usually stupid. $5 off a game because it's used is an insult. I've found games NEW at Walmart cheaper than used at Gamestop a few times too!

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

I hate EB with a passion. The only thing I EVER buy there, are pre-orders of brand spanking new, couldn't possibly have been opened games. I can't even count how many times I've gone in, asked for a new copy of a game and had them throw a disk in an empty box and try to sell it to me full price. Every single time, I stop them and say "I said new". They always try to argue with me that it's new and my response is like clockwork "If it's open.. it isn't new. Ciya later."

PrincessMorte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PrincessMorte
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

I hate them, but it's one of the few game stores around here so if I want to buy a console or check used games, I visit it. I prefer shopping online.