Anybody ever played a TG-16?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PresidentKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PresidentKing
Member since 2012 • 215 Posts
It's a very underrated game system even in its home country. It has tons of great games and is one of the greatest systems of all time and the first gameconsole Technically to have a Compact Disc storage add-on. So many great games on it, it make me wonder why people dismiss it. From games like J.J. and Jeff, Neutopia franchise, Psychosis, Air Zonk, Break In, Cadash, Disneys Talespin, Action Kung Fu, Bravoman and soo many more. The only system I can see competing with the TG16 is the Genesis. Super Nintendo was good to. But nobody seems to be getting into the system. Even the CD-I has more people interested in playing it than the TG16. Why does this console always not get the proper attention it deserves? -This has been a legacy platform rant public service announcement.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Might have been underrated cause no one I know could afford the $500-$700 price tag. =P
PresidentKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PresidentKing
Might have been underrated cause no one I know could afford the $500-$700 price tag. =PAllicrombie
The TG16 wasn't 500-700 dollars.............:(
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I've played a lot of TG-16 games on the Virtual Console.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Allicrombie
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Might have been underrated cause no one I know could afford the $500-$700 price tag. =PPresidentKing

Might be thinking of the Neo Geo.
PresidentKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PresidentKing
[QUOTE="PresidentKing"][QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Might have been underrated cause no one I know could afford the $500-$700 price tag. =PAllicrombie

Might be thinking of the Neo Geo.

Or the Cd-i. not even the CD addition to the TG16 was 500-700.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

This is just my personal opinion, but to me it just seemed like the TG-16 didn't do anything overly special that the SNES or Genesis didnt already offer, so it never gained ground.

I mean, the TG-16 had some good games, but Neutopia was essentially Zelda, Bonk was essentially Mario, etc etc.
In my opinion, it just didn't offer anything overly flashy that made me think "now thats something the SNES/Geni doesn't have"

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

This is just my personal opinion, but to me it just seemed like the TG-16 didn't do anything overly special that the SNES or Genesis didnt already offer, so it never gained ground.

I mean, the TG-16 had some good games, but Neutopia was essentially Zelda, Bonk was essentially Mario, etc etc.
In my opinion, it just didn't offer anything overly flashy that made me think "now thats something the SNES/Geni doesn't have"

TheKungFool
I can't think of any SNES/GEN game that has as good music as Lords of Thunder.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheKungFool

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Lords of Thunder was on Sega Gen/CD

PresidentKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PresidentKing

TheKungFool
That is what people though about the Geneis until the combination of actually looking into the library and sonic the hedgehog. the TG16 had no alternatives to JJ and Jeff, bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Action kung fu, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, etc. Just like the TG16 has no alternative to..........:o Ok, Snes and Gen have fighting games.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheKungFool

the TG16 had no alternatives to JJ and Jeff, bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Action kung fu, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, etc. Just like the TG16 has no alternative to..........:o Ok, Snes and Gen have fighting games.

PresidentKing

i'm not even sure what you're trying to say, or whether or not you're being sarcastic.

Bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit.....really?
I sincerely hope you mentioned those as jokes.....

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NinjaLegacy
Member since 2012 • 189 Posts

It had some really great games, I wouldn't consider it underrated. Because it's great games are really a handful but it's one of the better "obscure" systems to collect for. A lot better then the 3DO and Jaguar.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The PC-ENGINE has a relevant fanbase. Just don't expect to see them on most mainstream gaming forums.

There's plenty of databases and information about the system and its games around the net.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Allicrombie
[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Secret of Mana? =P
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I've got a TG-16, in fact it's my 2nd one after the 1st one broke. I've got a long ways to go to rebuild my TG-16 collection, though.

It's a great system with a fantastic library of games that I'm still learning a lot about. The system has a ton of great shmups and 2D platformers.

The reason it's overlooked, IMO, is that it was simply overshadowed by the NES, SNES, and Genesis which were far more popular and readily available in the U.S.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I had a TG-16 when it came out and I loved it. It was a good system compaired to the NES but once the SNES came out I tossed the TG-16 aside. I had about 20 games for it. I still prefer the SNES.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I've played the TG-16 twice in my life. The first time was at a sleepover when I was about 9; I can't remember what i played (some platformer game) and I thought it was good, but not as good as Sonic 3. The second time I played it was actually the PC-Engine; I played some SHMUP game that was pretty good, but again, I've played better.

Would I like to own one someday, yes. Am I going to go out of my way to buy one, probably not. I can appreciate it for the console it is, but I just feel like there are better options out there for the most part.

PresidentKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PresidentKing

[QUOTE="PresidentKing"]

the TG16 had no alternatives to JJ and Jeff, bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Action kung fu, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, etc. Just like the TG16 has no alternative to..........:o Ok, Snes and Gen have fighting games.

TheKungFool

i'm not even sure what you're trying to say, or whether or not you're being sarcastic.

I noticed the lack of you mention alternatives because there are none.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="PresidentKing"]

TheKungFool

I'm not exactly sure what he's trying to say, either. The way he worded is that the TG-16 doesn't have games such as JJ and Jeff, bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Action kung fu, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, etc. When all of those games are on TG-16. I think he meant the SNES & Genesis had no alternatives to those games.

However Ninja Spirit, a joke? That game is freaking awesome!

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="PresidentKing"]

Emerald_Warrior

I'm not exactly sure what he's trying to say, either. The way he worded is that the TG-16 doesn't have games such as JJ and Jeff, bravoman, Silent Debuggers, AirZonk, Action kung fu, Time Cruise, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, etc. When all of those games are on TG-16. I think he meant the SNES & Genesis had no alternatives to those games.

The MD has THE SUPER SHINOBI I&II and SHADOW DANCER.

Far better games in my opnion, and original of the system.

The MD version of SHADOW DANCER is better than the original arcade game. I can't say that of the PCE version of NINJA SPIRIT however. Nor of BRAVO MAN, which is actually pretty lousy.

BLOODY WOLF in turn is really better on the PCE than the arcade.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheKungFool

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="PresidentKing"]

Emerald_Warrior

I'm probably thinking of the wrong game then.

All I remember was playing an annoying TG-16 ninja game where it was sorta like shinobi, only the enemies just came from awkard directions alot of the time and you got weird powerups (one looked sorta like a pickaxe on a rope that shot upwards?) and you could get one or two i guess clone type guys to mimic you or something (sorry for the bad description, its been years upon years bro)

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Panzer_Zwei

The MD has THE SUPER SHINOBI I&II and SHADOW DANCER.

Far better games in my opnion, and original of the system.

The MD version of SHADOW DANCER is better than the original arcade game. I can't say that of the PCE version of NINJA SPIRIT however. Nor of BRAVO MAN, which is actually pretty lousy.

BLOODY WOLF in turn is really better on the PCE than the arcade.

Didn't even know Ninja Spirit was on arcade. I guess if you don't have the arcade to compare it to, then it's a fine game. And yeah, Shinobi games are better. But Ninja Spirit is still a good game even though the Shinobi games are better. Ninja Spirit was more straight action and quick-reflexes while Shinobi was more concentration and skill getting through the levels.

BenefitEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenefitEvil
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts
I've owned a Turbo-duo for ten years now and it has just as many amazing games as the SNES and Genesis... the just was no marketing here in the states for the games. The price tag for the HUD card games was reasonable, but the truly great games were all on CD which commanded a high price for the times. The original makers of the TG-16 sold the company to former members of Hudson soft so I'm sure that didn't help with the marketing. This is of course coming from someone who wasn't the biggest fan of the Sonic franchise so admittedly I have a bit of a bias.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I played the TG16 at Toys R US a few times. Nothing special. Kinda like an NES with better graphics. It's really not THAT much better than a sega master system. The Sega Genesis and SNES really blow the TG16 away! The main reason it failed was games. It just has a VERY small library of games and they didnt get even 1 officially licensed sports title from the NFL, NHL, or NBA. Bonk was a cool character and there's a few other games I'd like to play. Also, I'd probably get a TG16 if I could find one for a good price, but they arent that common.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

I played the TG16 at Toys R US a few times. Nothing special. Kinda like an NES with better graphics. It's really not THAT much better than a sega master system. The Sega Genesis and SNES really blow the TG16 away! The main reason it failed was games. It just has a VERY small library of games and they didnt get even 1 officially licensed sports title from the NFL, NHL, or NBA. Bonk was a cool character and there's a few other games I'd like to play. Also, I'd probably get a TG16 if I could find one for a good price, but they arent that common.

Talldude80

Great TG-16 games:

Action/Adventure:

• Bloody Wolf (Think Contra, but top-down view like Zelda)
  • Legendary Axe 1 & 2
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Neutopia 1 & 2 (Zelda clones, but very well made ones)
  • Splatterhouse

Platformers:

• Bonk's Adventure 1 & 3
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Legend of Hero Tonma
  • New Adventure Island

Shmups:

• 1941: Counter Attack
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Dragon Spirit
  • R-Type
  • Raiden
  • Super Star Soldier

Other:

• Alien Crush (unique and fun pinball game)
  • Dungeon Explorer (a mixture of action-RPG & Gauntlet-like gameplay)
  • Space Harrier (like an on-rails shooter, but great version of this classic game)
Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Shmups:

• 1941: Counter Attack
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Dragon Spirit
  • R-Type
  • Raiden
  • Super Star Soldier

Emerald_Warrior

As a side note here if you own a TG-16 don't go running out to buy 1941 as it is a SuperGrafx game and won't run on a normal system.

To the original question yes there are some great games for the TG-16/PCE just don't expect the huge library offered by some other systems. The CD attachment also has some great titles Dracula X: Rondo of Blood being my personal favorite.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
My cousin had one growing up, but I opted for the Genesis. It had some great games on the T-16, although not near as many as the Genesis, or SNES. I have one now and Bonks Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Splatterhouse, Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer, and Keith courage are my favorite games on that platform.. Well, they're the only ones I have and played.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I owned a TG-16 back in the day. It had some decent games, but the games were too short. And there were way too many shooters. It was decent, but not my favorite system.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Was the TG16 even commonly sold in the US? I was famliar with it along with the more popular games from reading issues of EGM and Gamepro but I only knew a few people who had one. I never even saw one until much later.

-Byshop