Any way of connecting the 360 to Xbox Live without the $100 adapter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
In this day and age...you'd think the 360 would have built in Wifi. I mean, plenty of cheaper, portable devices can do it, than why not the 360? I tried connecting to Xbox Live using my Gateway Laptop, and bridging the connection, but it made the experience laggy to say the least. I really don't want to spend $100 on that adapter, my living room is way too far away from my brother's room, which contains the router. Anyone know of any decent solutions to get an good online gaming experience?
kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts
It's possible through a laptop, I've done it, there's steps showing how to do it online, but expect lag, a network bridge through a laptop is very laggy (twas for me)
Psycoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Psycoholic
Member since 2004 • 171 Posts
Well you can always try this. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works but I do know it does. http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/02/how-to-cheap-wireless-for-your-xbox-360/
Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts
I just plug a ethernet cable into my laptop and the 360, but for some reason it says it either cant connect or the signal isnt strong enough.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 viewtiful26
I just plug a ethernet cable into my laptop and the 360, but for some reason it says it either cant connect or the signal isnt strong enough.ConkerAndBerri2
You have to manage your connections and bridge them or something. There are some videos and stuff telling you how to do it, but the games I've been in have been ridiculously laggy recently.
felixworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 felixworks
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts
You can actually get 50 ft. ethernet cables for pretty cheap. I did this and just hung the cable along walls to keep it out of the way and it's working fine. You could turn this into a more permanent solution by running the cable though the floor or ceiling but that's a bit too much work for me:P.
elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 elm_street_kid
Member since 2003 • 1354 Posts
They still charge $100 for the WiFi adapter?????? Wtf MS.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
You can actually get 50 ft. ethernet cables for pretty cheap. I did this and just hung the cable along walls to keep it out of the way and it's working fine. You could turn this into a more permanent solution by running the cable though the floor or ceiling but that's a bit too much work for me:P.felixworks
I use a long ethernet cable as well and it works great. I did go to the trouble of routing it through the walls and floor to keep it mostly hidden, but that's just personal taste. To get online all you need is a long cable.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

In this day and age...you'd think the 360 would have built in Wifi. I mean, plenty of cheaper, portable devices can do it, than why not the 360? I tried connecting to Xbox Live using my Gateway Laptop, and bridging the connection, but it made the experience laggy to say the least. I really don't want to spend $100 on that adapter, my living room is way too far away from my brother's room, which contains the router. Anyone know of any decent solutions to get an good online gaming experience?viewtiful26

I'm assuming you already have a wireless router in your house configured as an access point.

If you buy an additional wireless router, and configure it to run in client mode, and connect that to your 360 with an ethernet cable, you won't need the adaptor.

You should be able to buy a basic wireless router for about $40 online. This method also has the advantage of giving you a bunch of extra ethernet ports (that you can connect other network devices to).

rik666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 rik666
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
Can't you just move your router next to the xbox, connect the xbox to the router with a ethernet cable, then connect anything else - e.g. computers that need internet wireless.
Avatar image for TakeDaLesunzFwd
TakeDaLesunzFwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11 TakeDaLesunzFwd
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="viewtiful26"]In this day and age...you'd think the 360 would have built in Wifi. I mean, plenty of cheaper, portable devices can do it, than why not the 360? I tried connecting to Xbox Live using my Gateway Laptop, and bridging the connection, but it made the experience laggy to say the least. I really don't want to spend $100 on that adapter, my living room is way too far away from my brother's room, which contains the router. Anyone know of any decent solutions to get an good online gaming experience?Dire_Weasel

I'm assuming you already have a wireless router in your house configured as an access point.

If you buy an additional wireless router, and configure it to run in client mode, and connect that to your 360 with an ethernet cable, you won't need the adaptor.

You should be able to buy a basic wireless router for about $40 online. This method also has the advantage of giving you a bunch of extra ethernet ports (that you can connect other network devices to).

This would ideally be the cheapest route. Good call.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 viewtiful26
[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

[QUOTE="viewtiful26"]In this day and age...you'd think the 360 would have built in Wifi. I mean, plenty of cheaper, portable devices can do it, than why not the 360? I tried connecting to Xbox Live using my Gateway Laptop, and bridging the connection, but it made the experience laggy to say the least. I really don't want to spend $100 on that adapter, my living room is way too far away from my brother's room, which contains the router. Anyone know of any decent solutions to get an good online gaming experience?TakeDaLesunzFwd

This would ideally be the cheapest route. Good call.

Interesting...I should have a few unused routers lying around. I'll be sure to try it! ....Or at least try to figure it out.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 viewtiful26
Well, I had a lot of trouble with the whole router client thingie....so I asked one of my friends about this issue, and apparently his sister bought him this to connect wirelessly...Now I know Microsoft is ripping me off. I mean, here's the Xbox 1 adapter...and it costs $40...and I'm pretty sure it has the same basic features as the 360 one....and yet the 360 one costs $100.