Am I the only person who thinks that the Wii...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts

in some ways is violent?

I am refering to the Shooter games. For example the latest shooter for the Wii is Scarface. I feel FPS games are particularly more violent for a Wii b/c the gamer has to point and shoot at the person on the screen.

This is concerning for me considering that the Wii is mostly a children targeted product (although of course it is also a product for all ages and i personally think it is freaking awesome!) If parents disregard the game ratings on Wii games, i feel that FPS games on the Wii can be particularly harmful and damaging to young children who play them for it could cause them to become increasingly aggressive as well as potentially learn that they need to shoot a problem or enemy (maybe someone they dont like) in order to get rid of that problem and "pass the game"

Of course a simple solution would be for parents to be responsible and listen and follow game ratings so that children do not end up with mature games (or games that are not appropriate for their particular age).

Does anyone feel the same way about shooter games for the Wii?

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MichaeltheCM
Note: i did not say that video games kill people nor did i say i hated the Wii nor am I bashing it. I love the Wii! i think it is probably the best console out, but i just wanted to get a discussiong going on about my concerns about how interactive FPS Wii games are and how they could be potentially harmful to kids who have irresponsible parents. And YES i've been to an arcade but last time i checked i am pretty sure there are not gun controllers available for the 360 and the PS3 and if there are most people do not use them. so that is why i am discussing the Wii.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
The entire thing about the Wii is that it can be a more literal simulation of life. Whereas traditional videogame design has abstracted everything to various button presses and combinations, much of what you can do in videogames is related to motion, which means that you're brought closer to a lot of different things. This includes violence, as I imagine playing Manhunt 2 on the Wii will be the most gruesome interactive experience of all time. But then again, you can also design around harmless, even productive things. How about a Harvest Moon game where watering your plants and tilling the ground is actually dependent upon accurate motions? Or a ping-pong game (the one in Wii Play doesn't count, because it just uses the pointer) which actually simulates the physics of the ball and paddle to the point where you can get better at real ping-pong (it'd be a pain to program, but it's possible)? As with any medium, it comes to content. I think the Wii can amplify things, both good and ill, and it's the job of all responsible parents to know what kind of entertainment their child is consuming.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MichaeltheCM
^ well said. i agree.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
The wii is NOT a primarily children targetted product. IT caters for EVERYONE, thus manhunt 2, scarface, godfather etc.
Hardcore_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Hardcore_81
Member since 2006 • 742 Posts

And just for how many years has there been stuff like gun-replicas (like those attached on some arcade machines), light-guns etc... Man, you sound like the Wii is the first thing in the world to have a somewhat real feel to the shooting or something.

I mean that old stuff certainly hasn't affected anyone sane, in any bad way whatsoever. I am sure of it. Or else you need to be pretty screwed up from the beginning.

Finally, entertainment don't hurt ppl but the real world does.

JesterSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 JesterSage
Member since 2005 • 597 Posts
And quite frankly, does it matter? People are always going to think of it a kiddy console, and there's nothing to change people's mind through a publicity as such. While for now, only you and JT agree, eventually people will know M-rated game is best played not only with graphics, but with motion.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Not for shooting, it really doesn't feel like shooting a gun. Stabbing and slicing feels great though. :P
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Not for shooting, it really doesn't feel like shooting a gun. Stabbing and slicing feels great though. :Pgaminggeek

Agreed.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]Not for shooting, it really doesn't feel like shooting a gun. Stabbing and slicing feels great though. :Pnopalversion

Agreed.

Dead Rising + Hunting Knife + Wiimote = heaven.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MichaeltheCM

And just for how many years has there been stuff like gun-replicas (like those attached on some arcade machines), light-guns etc... Man, you sound like the Wii is the first thing in the world to have a somewhat real feel to the shooting or something.

I mean that old stuff certainly hasn't affected anyone sane, in any bad way whatsoever. I am sure of it. Or else you need to be pretty screwed up from the beginning.

Finally, entertainment don't hurt ppl but the real world does.

Hardcore_81

Im only talking about next gen consoles! not every single computer game machine ever built

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This is why I worry about Manhunt 2......... not for me personally because I cant wait to simulated sawing peoples parts off, but I see a ban a coming in liberal america :roll:
VilgeDuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 VilgeDuin
Member since 2004 • 424 Posts

Where do you get that the Wii is targetted towards children? Show me an ad, a press release, or anything official from Nintendo that states such. You won't. It's been targetted towards everyone from the moment of its release.

As for your opinion... It's asinine. Do you have children or know anyone who does? If so, are you around them frequently enough to judge their behaviour and reactions to different stimuli? And at that, if that's the case, are you around various different children of different intellects, lifestyles, upbringings and other such factors to make a conclusive statement encompassing the entirely generalized term "children"?

I doubt it.

The Wii is no more harmful than toyguns or playing "cowboys and indians", "cops and robbers", tag, dodgeball, watching Loony Tunes, watching Barney, watching the news, seeing any number or television shows or movies... Or just living life.

Being around an idiot parent who preaches the virtues of guns and taking out your opponents on the football field is going to affect children more than a friggin toy. And that's all the Wii or any system is, a toy.

The Wii is simply a little more interactive than previous consoles. But thinking kids will react any different to it than when they got their first BB gun, or even their first cap gun, is just asinine.

Proper parenting is what's needed. Not even governmental controls, or any controls for that manner. Just parents doing what they are supposed to.

My parents let me watch R rated movies from a very young age, and once the ratings system was implimented I was allowed to play "violent" games (namely Mortal Kombat 2 comes to mind). I was also educated properly by them and taught reality from fiction and right from wrong.

Proper parenting, not censorship or fascism.

AdolChristin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 AdolChristin
Member since 2005 • 975 Posts

Okay time for a lot of commenting...

To MichealtheCM:

After reading numerous posts, I do understand how MichealtheCM views the Wii. As consoles today become more technologically advanced, and now that with a console such as the Wii on how you're able to both take it home, play it how you want, and do many different things and objectives, it opens up a wide variety of things - and this tends to both go good and bad.

I'll say this straight out - I'm 18. I've been playing videogames since I was just turning around four. I do understand what is real and what is not. I do understand on when to put the controller down (not meaning to throw it down and swear at everything including my pillows) type thing. Will and have I played the Wii? Yes. Will I own a Will? Eventually. Will I own Manhunt 2? Absolutely. I find personally with violent games (fighting / shooting / whatever) that if I'm frustrated at lets say, a co-workers, a friend, or whomever and of course you can't just go next door with a steak knife and say "**** you!!" and go all devil-like.

To Oilers99:

As I had said, things are becoming more realistic, and with motions of me cutting my neighbour's head off because their radio is too loud at 2 AM. You get those people in the world that just don't sit down and think, "Wait a minute, this is a game, it's not real. I'm pressing buttons and looking at a screen. I'm not getting in actual trouble. But if I go kill my neighbour, I will."

Overall, I do have to say, Nintendo is a more family-oriented console. How many actual M rated games are there out for it? Not many. They're all E and T. Even some of the T games could possibly be E rated.

-----

But one screwy story I still can't figure out is the Resistance using that Church in Manchester and now having Tony Blair being involved. All I can do is shake my head at that.

-----

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
I actually think the FPS's on the Wii will be more fun because of this, but I can understand your concern. I think most parents that buy the wii for their children think they don't have to worry about the games their kids play since the console is marketed to all audiences. What they don't know is they still have to be responsible parents and have to decide what games are right for their kids no matter what and if they have a problem with them using the controller to mimic stabbing or shooting at someone, then they just take the time out to find out aboutthese games and then choose if they want their kid to play it.