Am I the only one who doesn't like MGS 4? or the series?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 megadeth1984
Member since 2009 • 134 Posts

Here I am pasting a reveiw of what I thought of the so called "best" game of all time.I just wanna see if there are any people who actually doesn't like it like me.

I have to admit I never liked the MGS series in the past, they seemed too stale. But a few weeks ago I went ahead and got MGS 4.

The Good:
Great collection of weapons and gadgets.
Story is heavy sided but that's what I liked about it at first.
Very Cool voice for Snake.
Awesome suit.
Any mission is approachable how you plan it out, and most of them has an effect even if it is small, on the outcome.
Cool enemy concepts.
Nice dark humor.

The Bad
Stealth mechanics are non-existent. They could have added lots of cool things for stealth.
Controls are very very very awkward.
After playing so many hours I still don't know how to get psyche or what ever its called or how it effects game play.
I refuse to read a whole book to play a game.
NO TROPHIES
The plot is muddled with holes as it tries to cover a lot of things (which are probably known by hardcore fans, but not some one like me who hasn't played the last ones.). There are lots of things they don't explain for a new gamer. Or maybe I fell asleep during one of the many 30 mins long cut scenes in the game. I mean I have nothing against cut scenes but so many for so long gets a little mundane after a while, if you are like me who doesn't know about the past stories.
About 55% of the game time are cut scenes.
Character movement is very stiff, not something you would expect from a stealth veteran. They mention Ninja in the game but Snake's speed doesn't even match that of a snake.

Overall I just don't like the feel of the game, something seems a miss. the movement is a b*tch, music not bad. gameplay is crap. You can buy 10 rocket launchers and blow through everything, without even moving from your spot.I just dont get it how can soo many people like this?

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

MGS4 was alright. The other games in the series were better though, with MGS3 being the pinnacle of the MGS series (on consoles at least).

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

"NO TROPHIES" in all caps. Really? Is it that big a deal? Anyway, plenty of people dislike MGS4 and the series. I like it though. The earlier games were a lot better.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Here I am pasting a reveiw of what I thought of the so called "best" game of all time.I just wanna see if there are any people who actually doesn't like it like me.

I have to admit I never liked the MGS series in the past, they seemed too stale. But a few weeks ago I went ahead and got MGS 4.

The Good:
Awesome suit.
Any mission is approachable how you plan it out, and most of them has an effect even if it is small, on the outcome.
Cool enemy concepts.
Nice dark humor.

The Bad
Stealth mechanics are non-existent. They could have added lots of cool things for stealth.
After playing so many hours I still don't know how to get psyche or what ever its called or how it effects game play.
NO TROPHIES
The plot is muddled with holes as it tries to cover a lot of things (which are probably known by hardcore fans, but not some one like me who hasn't played the last ones.). There are lots of things they don't explain for a new gamer. Or maybe I fell asleep during one of the many 30 mins long cut scenes in the game. I mean I have nothing against cut scenes but so many for so long gets a little mundane after a while, if you are like me who doesn't know about the past stories.
Character movement is very stiff, not something you would expect from a stealth veteran. They mention Ninja in the game but Snake's speed doesn't even match that of a snake.

Overall I just don't like the feel of the game, something seems a miss. the movement is a b*tch, music not bad. gameplay is crap. You can buy 10 rocket launchers and blow through everything, without even moving from your spot.I just dont get it how can soo many people like this?

megadeth1984

Stealth is good, but you don't HAVE to use it. Controls are great. How psyche works is explained in the manual AND in-game. Book? A game don't need trophies. Many people dislike trophies. Your own fault if you didn't play the other games. They were great. 55% cutscenes? Nope. And some people like cutscenes. Why would Old Snake be fast? He's old, carry heavy gear and weapons. Gameplay is great. "You can buy 10 rocket launchers and blow through everything, without even moving from your spot." Nope, you can't just buy ten RPG's. And what would be the point of that?

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
I loved the first one but the rest where just trash imo.
megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 megadeth1984

[QUOTE="megadeth1984"]

The Good:
Awesome suit.
Cool enemy concepts.
Nice dark humor.

The Bad
NO TROPHIES

magnusm1

Stealth is good, but you don't HAVE to use it. Controls are great. How psyche works is explained in the manual AND in-game. Book? A game don't need trophies. Many people dislike trophies. Your own fault if you didn't play the other games. They were great. 55% cutscenes? Nope. And some people like cutscenes. Why would Old Snake be fast? He's old, carry heavy gear and weapons. Gameplay is great. "You can buy 10 rocket launchers and blow through everything, without even moving from your spot." Nope, you can't just buy ten RPG's. And what would be the point of that?

No man I disagree stealth isn't that good its comical, splinter cell's stealth was good, this one felt like some Japanese mesh up. The trophy bit I added in bold is because some idiot once said that he got the platinium for the game. 55% is an exaggeration but you have to admit most of the cutscenes were dragged on beyond the need. I love cutscenes as well when it leads to a point or if it doesn't then if it ends before it becomes annoying. Old snake doesn't have to be fast atleast could be smooth his movements feel very constricted and the first time i was playing when I started to walk him lol he looks like he is constipated. I would agree some gameplay elements are great definitely not all. Yes you can buy unlimited rocket launchers from the inventory as long as you have enough purchase points. That is my question what is the point of it when you can purchase ammo at will let alone rpg ammo. Also I forgot to add except for a few levels most of them are poorly designed. I don't know how you guys like it soo much.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 megadeth1984

"NO TROPHIES" in all caps. Really? Is it that big a deal? Anyway, plenty of people dislike MGS4 and the series. I like it though. The earlier games were a lot better.

tryagainlater

The trophy bit I added in bold is because some idiot once said that he got the platinium for the game. Hence to clear it up for everyone. Really I thought most people like MGS4 its like a trend or something.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

MGS4 was alright. The other games in the series were better though, with MGS3 being the pinnacle of the MGS series (on consoles at least).

dommeus
I agree whole heartedly.
megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 megadeth1984

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

HellsAngel2c

I agree whole heartedly.

Hmm then I think I will give it a try MGS3 it was on PS2 right?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't like MGS 4? or the series?megadeth1984
No, there are still many more unsaved people
anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Big Mama Dissaproves (-10)

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

LIQUID....ROADKILL!

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 megadeth1984

[QUOTE="megadeth1984"]Am I the only one who doesn't like MGS 4? or the series?Black_Knight_00
No, there are still many more unsaved people

lol good one.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I liked the game. I would've liked a bonus where you can play through as Solid Snake, but I guess the developers were against it.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#15 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts
I tried MGS3 before. It's the only one I've played. I wasn't really into it. I don't know, maybe it's just too story-based for my liking.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 branketra
I tried MGS3 before. It's the only one I've played. I wasn't really into it. I don't know, maybe it's just too story-based for my liking.TAMKFan
If you want to avoid the story, just skip the cutscenes and codec conversations. If you get stuck, you can radio someone and they'll tell you. Usually, anyway.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

When I think of MGS, I think of a good series that did what it needed to do. Unfortunately, most of the time, it felt like I was watching a movie, especially those long cutscenes. I'm sitting here, thinking "I'm supposed to be playing a videogame, not watch a f****** movie!" I never played through MGS4, but I've always heard it's the best one in the series. Either that or game critics always hype the games too much just because it has the name Metal Gear on it.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I've never been much of a fan. When everyone I knew was playing the original MGS, I was playing Syphon Filter. I just never latched on to the series. Nothing wrong with it though. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I played MGS 3 Snake Eater. It had its good points, like a pretty long campaign with lots of variety. A few of the boss battles were cool. It had more than its share of bad points, like the ludicrously long cutscenes, the story which was like a 9th grader tried to write a Tom Clancy novel, crappy cover mechanic that left you flopping around like a fish out of water whenever you got too close to a wall, and the camera was just plain screwy.

Then I played MGS2 and thought that was just rubbish. No variety at all to the gemeplay, the cutscenes were even longer and more idiotic, there was some idiot calling me on the phone and wanting to talk about our relationship when I was busy trying to save the world. The gameplay was poorly designed, uninteresting, and the whole game was just awful. I actually had to stop playing on several occasions because I was too busy laughing at the idiocy of the whole thing. It was like an Ewe Boll movie in that regard.

Oddly enough I haven't played MGS4, and have absolutely no intention of ever playing it.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
If you didn't like the other games then there's no way anyone would expect you to like MGS4. The reason it's so good is really because it relies on it's predecessors. MGS1 and 2 aside the series doesn't really have great gameplay, you have to be into the story to appreciate it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I felt like MGS1 was overrated but in its own way, it paved the way for the entire series. MGS3 (for me) was the pinnacle of the MGS series. MGS4 like MGS1 is overrated.
Kuroda99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kuroda99
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

http://thesnakesoup.org/wiki/images/a/a3/KojimaAngry.JPG chut up if u dont rike mgs4 teh selies is suppose to end in mgs2 but u peopre keep sending death thleats and konami say hideo we need more yen yen

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I've only played MGS4 and I'm not sure what to think. For one thing I hate the save game system (though it's not unique to this game). The gameplay is alright, though the game is not so welcoming to new players - I can understand having to play the previous games to know the story, but the gameplay and whole point of the game isn't very well explained to new players.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I loved the first one but the rest where just trash imo.Duckyindiana

I loved the first one. I still have my original black label copy. But the series lost me with MGS2 and I never recovered. The characters were too wacky and the storytelling sty|e became too wierd for my taste. I can appreciate why people love the franchise, but I just grew out of it.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
I played MGS1 back in the PS1 days but that's about it. The series never interested me much to be honest.
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts
  • It is a stealth game, but it's more of an action game. There is somewhat of a focus to it, but I wouldn't say it's a must have. You play the way you want, you can go all action, but it's best to hide at times.
  • How are the controls akward? Sure it doesn't play like most other games out there, It's not perfect, but they aren't bad ether.
  • What do you mean, read a book to play the game?
  • No trophies, has nothing to do with a games quality.
  • Basically, it's the 4th entry into the franchise. Did you honestly expect to know everything if you haven't played the first 3? It's like saying "well I watched the godfather 3, and it sucks because I didn't understand it" Of course you didn't, you didn't watch the first 2 movies.
  • Half of the game is cut-scenes, and? Not every game needs to be an action game.
  • To me it seems like your problem is simple: Your not into this type of game. Period. Does it mean the game doesn't deserve to be called "one of the greatest games of all time". No. You just aren't into this type of game, and I don't understand why you labeled critisim against the plot, knowing that you didn't play the previews games in the franchise.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 branketra
  • It is a stealth game, but it's more of an action game. There is somewhat of a focus to it, but I wouldn't say it's a must have. You play the way you want, you can go all action, but it's best to hide at times.
  • How are the controls akward? Sure it doesn't play like most other games out there, It's not perfect, but they aren't bad ether.
  • Basically, it's the 4th entry into the franchise. Did you honestly expect to know everything if you haven't played the first 3? It's like saying "well I watched the godfather 3, and it sucks because I didn't understand it" Of course you didn't, you didn't watch the first 2 movies.
  • Half of the game is cut-scenes, and? Not every game needs to be an action game.
  • To me it seems like your problem is simple: Your not into this type of game. Period. Does it mean the game doesn't deserve to be called "one of the greatest games of all time". No. You just aren't into this type of game, and I don't understand why you labeled critisim against the plot, knowing that you didn't play the previews games in the franchise.
PalmPixi
I disagree that it's more of an action game. The proof of this is Old Snake. His speed is much slower than when he was Solid Snake or compared to Raiden (MGS2)...or Naked Snake from MGS3. You could go in and kill everyone, but in all the cutscenes, Snake is coughing his lungs out when he's just sitting around... Another reason why I think it's intended to be more stealth oriented is (besides the obvious ways everything is set up in the game) the ranking. You get a lower rank if you alert the enemy or kill people. That's how every MGS game ranking works. One more thing, you're right in that TC should understand the entire franchise before criticizing the plot. It helps your argument.
Adam314-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Adam314-
Member since 2008 • 1613 Posts

I love the MGS series but MGS 4 wasn't the best, though sneaking through two factions battling each other was pretty cool.

In my opinion it goes something like this, MGS 3, MGS 4, MGS 1, MGS 2.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I love the series, but MGS4 was a huge disappointment, imo. It was the only MGS game I didn't enjoy. MGS4 didn't compel you to conserve ammo or search for weapons; you can buy ammo and weapons whenever you wanted, even during a boss fight. The boss fights weren't good aside from maybe one or two; they felt like bad copies of the other boss fights in the series. There wasn't much variety in the missions compared to other games. Another thing that bothered me was the cutscene to gameplay ratio. While the series is known for being cutscene-heavy, MGS4 took it to the next level; it was 9 hours of cutscenes versus 4-5 hours of gameplay, and it didn't help that the story wasn't any good, imo.

The story was poorly written, poorly paced, relied heavenly on plot devices, and never got its message across properly. Also, the characters were poorly developed especially the B&B Corps. You knew nothing about them prior to fighting them, and they didn't play a vital role in the story unlike Foxhound and Dead Cell. After defeating them, Drebin will call you, telling you their backstories through codec. It screamed lazy writing for me. I consider MGS1 & 3 to be the best in the series (solid story + gameplay). MGS2 had excellent gameplay, but the story was so-so.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

you won't enjoy MGS4 if you havent played the rest of the series since half game is about the story, and you will be lost if you don't know the previous ones, simple as that, in terms of which one is better it goes MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 > MGS 2

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 megadeth1984

When I think of MGS, I think of a good series that did what it needed to do. Unfortunately, most of the time, it felt like I was watching a movie, especially those long cutscenes. I'm sitting here, thinking "I'm supposed to be playing a videogame, not watch a f****** movie!" I never played through MGS4, but I've always heard it's the best one in the series. Either that or game critics always hype the games too much just because it has the name Metal Gear on it.

Metamania

"game critics always hype the games too much just because it has the name Metal Gear on it."exactly what i think man. I mean 10 for a game like this? really? God of War 1,2 and 3 were all better atleast to me by a long shot and even they didn't get a 10, also uncharted 1 + 2, Mafia 1, starcraft 2, modern warfare 1, red dead redemption and a lot more i think all these games deserved a 10 much much much more then mgs4 ever did. And on top of that it wasn't even voted the game of the year, yet the most highest rated, something is weird.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 megadeth1984

PalmPixi

1. I have played hundreds of games if not a thousand and by no-way does MGS4 stand for more of an action game when all the equipment and gadgets and levels are designed for stealth. I have played almost untill the end and the stealth elements of the game are very poor considering the fact that its a stealth oriented game, like the level where you have to go through this town undetected I was enjoying it at first, reminded me of Theif, but it could have been done a lot better it had so much potential yet they just threw it in the disc with minimum effort you tell me wouldn't it be cool if he could go under the car and do enemy takedowns from there quietly? its just one I mentioned, they could have added a thousand more, but just 4 -5 would have been awesome.

Also the way he walks doesn't help the game, feels very comical and awkward yet tries to be serious and just doesn't go together for me. Its something like Terminator and Kindergarten mixed together in a Japanese guy's head, I have nothing against it but just not my taste, when I want a burger I have a burger not mix it with cake.

2. Controls are very stiff they are not as userfriendly as most other games comparatively Splinter Cell (close genre and available in console).

3. There was a whole ebook available at the time I got the game for people like me who hasn't played the first ones, in it, it had the story from the rest of the series. They could have just made a video like Dead Space 2 to catch you up to the story, and leaving out the details of some Japanese chick's bouncing melons.

4. Agree, but again I mentioned No Trophies because I was told by someone that this game is absolutely mind blowing and that he had gotten the platinum for it.

5. No I did't expect to know everything from the first three , but I did expect to be entertained by this story alone, so that it is intriguing enough that I will do some research and find out more about the characters and the previous games. It lacked a lot of intrigue, take for example God of War 3 people who didn't even know 1 and 2 wanted to play them after playing three cause it had intrigue and its not because its and action game but because its just an amazing experience.

6. I didn't say that it had to be an action game I said it should have decided a few things before turning into a game: a. Stealth or Action, b. Comedy or Serious, c.movie or game, d. what is important and what is not for most of the game it just didn't seem like it knew what it wanted to be. They give you 007 gadgets but doesn't provide much ease or ways of using them. The best thing about the game the handycam robot (forgot the name) for the view not for the lame weapon (even a dart would have been better) and the nano suit (although could have done very well without showing his ***crack).

7. No, the problem is I can't put it into a particular type or even types, not because its special or anything but because I don't think MGS4 even knows what it is it seems characterless yet the Media hyped it to God status. Again previous games don't matter if the one in question can hold its own.

Lastly I love a few Japanese movies but I certainly don't wanna play a Japanese Drama.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 megadeth1984

I love the series, but MGS4 was a huge disappointment, imo. It was the only MGS game I didn't enjoy. MGS4 didn't compel you to conserve ammo or search for weapons; you can buy ammo and weapons whenever you wanted, even during a boss fight. The boss fights weren't good aside from maybe one or two; they felt like bad copies of the other boss fights in the series. There wasn't much variety in the missions compared to other games. Another thing that bothered me was the cutscene to gameplay ratio. While the series is known for being cutscene-heavy, MGS4 took it to the next level; it was 9 hours of cutscenes versus 4-5 hours of gameplay, and it didn't help that the story wasn't any good, imo.

The story was poorly written, poorly paced, relied heavenly on plot devices, and never got its message across properly. Also, the characters were poorly developed especially the B&B Corps. You knew nothing about them prior to fighting them, and they didn't play a vital role in the story unlike Foxhound and Dead Cell. After defeating them, Drebin will call you, telling you their backstories through codec. It screamed lazy writing for me. I consider MGS1 & 3 to be the best in the series (solid story + gameplay). MGS2 had excellent gameplay, but the story was so-so.

DJChuy

completely agree about MGS4 don't know about the rest but someone has told me to try out MGS3 and I think I will.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
The original MGS was Kojima's greatest opus, naturally there's nowhere to go but down. The next game is a Ninja Gaiden wannabe, come on! Onto MGS4 though, it just shows you how far you can get with top-notch presentation and watered down gameplay--isn't it one of the best selling exclusives this gen? You can literally run past everything from beginning to end and beat the game in "normal" mode.
OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

I was never a hug fan of the series, but I did enjoy watching other peolpe play the game. But after trying to play 4, I just gave up after a few hours because I felt like it wasn't really what I am into. But I can see why people do like the game series, just not for me. :?

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

[QUOTE="DJChuy"]

megadeth1984

completely agree about MGS4 don't know about the rest but someone has told me to try out MGS3 and I think I will.

If you are going to get MGS3, get the subsistence version; the camera is a whole lot better. The controls are going to be a big problem for you though. If you hated the controls in MGS4, you're mostly likely going to hate the ones in MGS3. But the gameplay is very fun, so you might put up with it.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

I think it's supposed to be like an interactive movie. I've only seen cut scenes of MGS4

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

megadeth1984

1. I have played hundreds of games if not a thousand and by no-way does MGS4 stand for more of an action game when all the equipment and gadgets and levels are designed for stealth. I have played almost untill the end and the stealth elements of the game are very poor considering the fact that its a stealth oriented game, like the level where you have to go through this town undetected I was enjoying it at first, reminded me of Theif, but it could have been done a lot better it had so much potential yet they just threw it in the disc with minimum effort you tell me wouldn't it be cool if he could go under the car and do enemy takedowns from there quietly? its just one I mentioned, they could have added a thousand more, but just 4 -5 would have been awesome.

Also the way he walks doesn't help the game, feels very comical and awkward yet tries to be serious and just doesn't go together for me. Its something like Terminator and Kindergarten mixed together in a Japanese guy's head, I have nothing against it but just not my taste, when I want a burger I have a burger not mix it with cake.

2. Controls are very stiff they are not as userfriendly as most other games comparatively Splinter Cell (close genre and available in console).

3. There was a whole ebook available at the time I got the game for people like me who hasn't played the first ones, in it, it had the story from the rest of the series. They could have just made a video like Dead Space 2 to catch you up to the story, and leaving out the details of some Japanese chick's bouncing melons.

4. Agree, but again I mentioned No Trophies because I was told by someone that this game is absolutely mind blowing and that he had gotten the platinum for it.

5. No I did't expect to know everything from the first three , but I did expect to be entertained by this story alone, so that it is intriguing enough that I will do some research and find out more about the characters and the previous games. It lacked a lot of intrigue, take for example God of War 3 people who didn't even know 1 and 2 wanted to play them after playing three cause it had intrigue and its not because its and action game but because its just an amazing experience.

6. I didn't say that it had to be an action game I said it should have decided a few things before turning into a game: a. Stealth or Action, b. Comedy or Serious, c.movie or game, d. what is important and what is not for most of the game it just didn't seem like it knew what it wanted to be. They give you 007 gadgets but doesn't provide much ease or ways of using them. The best thing about the game the handycam robot (forgot the name) for the view not for the lame weapon (even a dart would have been better) and the nano suit (although could have done very well without showing his ***crack).

7. No, the problem is I can't put it into a particular type or even types, not because its special or anything but because I don't think MGS4 even knows what it is it seems characterless yet the Media hyped it to God status. Again previous games don't matter if the one in question can hold its own.

Lastly I love a few Japanese movies but I certainly don't wanna play a Japanese Drama.

1. So then it's all about the gadgets? I think you have the wrong misconception of what stealth means, look it up in the dictionary.

2. So you admit are saying that just because it's not an user friendly game like the inferior splinter cell, it's not as responsive? Did it ever occur to you that not every game needs to be the same or play similar. In that case God of war is crap compared to Devil may cry and Ninja gaiden due to it not being as in depth.

3. So you like exposition? Not everyone likes this, and mostly people hate it. Next time friend, play the first 3, before passing judgement. Neither godfather 2 or 3 have "books" that need to be read, or videos like you say.

4. Then do not mention it in the first place.

5. God of War has a simplistic story line, and it's also a short game. How are you going to compare mgs4, to a game that obviously doesn't bother with the story (only disappointing part in god of war 3, was its story).

6. You do realize that it wants to blend? Not every game has to be it's single genre, just like a movie doesn't have to be Drama, it could be A Drama-Thriller, with parts of Mystery.

7. Are you aware that your not the only soul in this earth? Just because your not into intelligent, non liner, non action, non mindless button mashing games. Does not mean that MGS4 shouldn't be hyped to God status. You don't understand it, but many people do.

And lastly if your not into Japanese drama, then can you explain to me why you even bothered with the game. Did someone tell you that it was all action or something, which once again is my point of... you should have played the previous games before even dealing with MGS4. Your whole argument is really worthless... maybe except for the cut-scene thing, which in that case it only an opinion.

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 elm_street_kid
Member since 2003 • 1354 Posts
Well I have no comment about the games themselves, but I am bitter towards them because Kojima always seems to put making yet another MGS ahead of a sequel to Zone of the Enders... A game a lot of people have been waiting for for 7 or 8 years. ZOE 3 Kojima, please...
UnholyDescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UnholyDescent
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
yes, youre the only one. MGS4 was awesome. gotta admit tho, it was the worst of the series
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

The first one was great, the second one was good but the stupidly complicated plot ruined it, the third one was absolutely amazing with a great story, great audiovisual presentation and probably the best gameplay I've ever seen in a stealth based game (I think Thief is better in that aspect, but that's just me) but the 4th. one while it looked amazing the plot was SO boring, although I did cry at the ending XD.

So yeah, it's a cool game series but it's incredibly flawed.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

I wonder how many reviewers who gave it perfect 10 scores can take it back now. (Spoiler ahead)

Anyways, someone on the this thread mentioned how you DONT HAVE to use stealth. In actuality, u dont have to do anything but run from point A to point B while eating rations. (The only exception would be boss battles, and the ship's deck).

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 megadeth1984

[QUOTE="megadeth1984"]

[QUOTE="DJChuy"]

DJChuy

If you are going to get MGS3, get the subsistence version; the camera is a whole lot better. The controls are going to be a big problem for you though. If you hated the controls in MGS4, you're mostly likely going to hate the ones in MGS3. But the gameplay is very fun, so you might put up with it.

Alright will give it a shot. thanks.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 megadeth1984

[QUOTE="megadeth1984"]

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

PalmPixi

1. So then it's all about the gadgets? I think you have the wrong misconception of what stealth means, look it up in the dictionary.

2. So you admit are saying that just because it's not an user friendly game like the inferior splinter cell, it's not as responsive? Did it ever occur to you that not every game needs to be the same or play similar. In that case God of war is crap compared to Devil may cry and Ninja gaiden due to it not being as in depth.

3. So you like exposition? Not everyone likes this, and mostly people hate it. Next time friend, play the first 3, before passing judgement. Neither godfather 2 or 3 have "books" that need to be read, or videos like you say.

5. God of War has a simplistic story line, and it's also a short game. How are you going to compare mgs4, to a game that obviously doesn't bother with the story (only disappointing part in god of war 3, was its story).

6. You do realize that it wants to blend? Not every game has to be it's single genre, just like a movie doesn't have to be Drama, it could be A Drama-Thriller, with parts of Mystery.

7. Are you aware that your not the only soul in this earth? Just because your not into intelligent, non liner, non action, non mindless button mashing games. Does not mean that MGS4 shouldn't be hyped to God status. You don't understand it, but many people do.

And lastly if your not into Japanese drama, then can you explain to me why you even bothered with the game. Did someone tell you that it was all action or something, which once again is my point of... you should have played the previous games before even dealing with MGS4. Your whole argument is really worthless... maybe except for the cut-scene thing, which in that case it only an opinion.

1. Read carefully before answering "when all the equipment and gadgets and levels are designed for stealth" didn't say it was all about gadgets. But tell me one thing why does he have a nano suit that can camaflouge to anything, if not for stealth? to look cool? another thing why does the game award you more points if you play stealthily rather than slam bam.

2. I don't know what you are talking about. but I didn't say it had to play like any other game I just said the controls could have been made more responsive also his movement parameters given in the game are quite awkward doesn't feel smooth. In which case is God Of War crap?? Control?? it had awesome fluid control what are you talking about.

3. Ok I don't think you are reading the whole sentences. I am not judging the whole series (hence I am gonna try out mgs3 suggested to me by a person here) what I said was that they could have put a little animated movie to catch you up to the story from the previous parts in MGS4 so that people like me who hasn't played the past parts can get head or tail of something. God father 2 and 3 both are videos and are sequels how the hell do you possibly connect god father and mgs?? and what are you talking about??? god father is a movie that can be watched in any dvd player or pc or whatever, mgs series ranges from ps1 I think to ps3. I don't think anyone would be consoles to play a single series.

5. God of War is a very story driven series, either you haven't played it or you didn't get it. And the story is simply amazing. Ok simply put God of war 3 $33million Day 1 Sales Metal gear Solid 4 day 1 sale is $1.3 million. See the difference? both are story driven, both were ending the series (in terms of Mgs4 the last of Snake), see which one people wanted to know the ending to more? 33 million compared to 1 million enough said. But its not about God Of War 3 vs MGS4 so I will not continue that conversation here.

6. As you said Drama, Thriller and parts of Mystery all these do go together. but if you try to make a action, thriller, drama and comedy it just turns weird.

7. lol MGS4 is intelligent? you can run straight through the game, very intelligent, there are no puzzles again very intelligent, point gun and shoot wow, buy ammo at will, amazing, the best game ever 10 10 10 10 lol NON LINEAR??????????? LOL hmm I think I have been debating invain, my apologies.

And lastly because it didn't say "MGS4 A JAPANESE MELO-DRAMA WITH CHEESE PUFF FRUITY ACTION" on the box hence I got it.

Nevermind friend, to whose his own.

megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 megadeth1984

The first one was great, the second one was good but the stupidly complicated plot ruined it, the third one was absolutely amazing with a great story, great audiovisual presentation and probably the best gameplay I've ever seen in a stealth based game (I think Thief is better in that aspect, but that's just me) but the 4th. one while it looked amazing the plot was SO boring, although I did cry at the ending XD.

So yeah, it's a cool game series but it's incredibly flawed.

KillerJuan77

I haven't played the first 3 so don't really know about it but I will try out mgs 3 as suggested by a lot of people. I agree Theif is probably the best stealth game ever. and the mgs4 plot is boring and very stale and the gameplay sucks except for ofcourse some cool things, too bad I didn't finish it in the end, from what I have heard the last bit is very emotional, and I think it would have provoked an emotion atleast from me, which the rest of the game couldn't except for anger that is.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Played only MGS1, 2,3,4, Peace Walker and Portable Ops. I managed to finish only the 1st part and Peace Walker. Not my type of story telling and I prefer Splinter Cell type of gameplay.

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

[QUOTE="megadeth1984"]

megadeth1984

1. Read carefully before answering "when all the equipment and gadgets and levels are designed for stealth" didn't say it was all about gadgets. But tell me one thing why does he have a nano suit that can camaflouge to anything, if not for stealth? to look cool? another thing why does the game award you more points if you play stealthily rather than slam bam.

2. I don't know what you are talking about. but I didn't say it had to play like any other game I just said the controls could have been made more responsive also his movement parameters given in the game are quite awkward doesn't feel smooth. In which case is God Of War crap?? Control?? it had awesome fluid control what are you talking about.

3. Ok I don't think you are reading the whole sentences. I am not judging the whole series (hence I am gonna try out mgs3 suggested to me by a person here) what I said was that they could have put a little animated movie to catch you up to the story from the previous parts in MGS4 so that people like me who hasn't played the past parts can get head or tail of something. God father 2 and 3 both are videos and are sequels how the hell do you possibly connect god father and mgs?? and what are you talking about??? god father is a movie that can be watched in any dvd player or pc or whatever, mgs series ranges from ps1 I think to ps3. I don't think anyone would be consoles to play a single series.

5. God of War is a very story driven series, either you haven't played it or you didn't get it. And the story is simply amazing. Ok simply put God of war 3 $33million Day 1 Sales Metal gear Solid 4 day 1 sale is $1.3 million. See the difference? both are story driven, both were ending the series (in terms of Mgs4 the last of Snake), see which one people wanted to know the ending to more? 33 million compared to 1 million enough said. But its not about God Of War 3 vs MGS4 so I will not continue that conversation here.

6. As you said Drama, Thriller and parts of Mystery all these do go together. but if you try to make a action, thriller, drama and comedy it just turns weird.

7. lol MGS4 is intelligent? you can run straight through the game, very intelligent, there are no puzzles again very intelligent, point gun and shoot wow, buy ammo at will, amazing, the best game ever 10 10 10 10 lol NON LINEAR??????????? LOL hmm I think I have been debating invain, my apologies.

And lastly because it didn't say "MGS4 A JAPANESE MELO-DRAMA WITH CHEESE PUFF FRUITY ACTION" on the box hence I got it.

Nevermind friend, to whose his own.

I was going to continue this discussion, but you write way to much, hence you beat me. My point is, as you said. To each his own. Everyone has a different way of seeing things, and even as you didn't like mgs4, there are many others who do. That does not mean you should try to make things as facts, or not respect gamespot's, or anyone elses opinions.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 branketra

Well I have no comment about the games themselves, but I am bitter towards them because Kojima always seems to put making yet another MGS ahead of a sequel to Zone of the Enders... A game a lot of people have been waiting for for 7 or 8 years. ZOE 3 Kojima, please...elm_street_kid
They are good games. I'll stay interested just because they are my favorite mech games, but I won't hold my breath. Kojima himself "twitted" or something that it isn't coming out anytime soon. That was earlier this year or late last year.