Am I the only one who dislikes first person ANYTHING? (shooters, RPG,action etc)

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eccentric_view
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts
I personally feel they're a lazy design and actually take me OUT of the gameplay. I mean unless I'm dealing with virtual reality, I don't want to just look at a hand when playing a game on the screen. I want to see my characters, like in Zelda or Mario or hundreds of other games. The novelty of a game like Mirror's Edge was nice, but that's pretty much it.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
You can see your characters in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, but playing in third person is so crappy, you'd want to stick with first person. I don't see any first-person RPGs outside of those games, though.
Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts

you're not alone

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I think its the most immersive perspective, but I dont know about you or anyone else, but I the first person perspective suits the intimacy of the way games are played on the PC well provided its at the right FOV. But they can be frustrating making flaws in clunky level design more apparent.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
How is it lazy design if it's in first person? The play-styles of 1st-person and 3rd-person are completely different. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would definitely feel the same if it was in third person. It just would carry the immersion factor.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Sorry but my vote goes against that.

Personally I preferthird person games but that's not due to a dislike of the FPS genre. I don't like 90% of FPS because they all seem to look and feel the same to me (e.g.COD, Halo, Killzone). Occasionaly a game like Bioshock or Portal comes along and changes all that however, for the most part, I find them to be the same.

So I'm a fan of any genre when done right but my preference is third person.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

First person and third person view each have their own weakness and strength.

First person make it hard to plateform. First Person give a better view for aiming. The I have add more shoots stop by unsee object in Third person view than I have in First Person.

Third person view is much easier to act with the enviroment such using cover or jumping on plateform. I have been more freak out in third person view. THey do not just slash at the player the man handle them. I hate the camera play in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
a well implemented first person perspective can be one of the most immersive tools a developer has. its how people experience their world and its an effective way to experience a game world.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I prefer the RTS genre but the FPS could be also a lot of fun, especially if you pick the right game.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44690 Posts

I hate racing games in 3rd person, 1st person racing feels more intense, I like the Motorstorm games in 1st person more, Split/Second

pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pengo93
Member since 2009 • 2005 Posts

They should make more 2nd person games. Those are are pretty immersive.

CRASHrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CRASHrred
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
what is a "2nd person" game?
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

I like some FPS stuff in small doses, usually in the form of Unreal Tournament deathmatches. I do play some other first person games as well, but it's rare that I really get into them. 95% of the time I dislike story-based first person games, though like I say, there are exceptions such as Portal and Halo 1 (though I was bored by Halo 2).

I'm usually happy to try any genre though as I get bored playing the same old stuff, so I'll no doubt buy more at some point.

CRASHrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CRASHrred

... THey do not just slash at the player the man handle them. I hate the camera play in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

wiouds
do you mean like in left 4 dead, where when you get grabbed you pop out of first person and go into 3d and see your character struggling?
pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pengo93

what is a "2nd person" game? CRASHrred

A second person game is where you see what's going on through the eyes of the enemies. As far as I know this has only happened in the game Siren: Blood Curse, even then only in a few parts.

CRASHrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CRASHrred
that's brilliant. how did it work?
pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pengo93

that's brilliant. how did it work? CRASHrred

I haven't played it, but imagine you see yourself through the eyes of a monster or serial killer or whatever and it's walking towards you. It'd be pretty creepy.

Ownejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ownejj
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

yes, u are

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Personally I can't wait for Warcraft 4. Heard it is going to be from an Over-the-Shoulder perspective.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Being that I interact with the real world in the first person, I prefer the games I play to be first person. I do not drive a car from behind it or fly a plane from behind it, I do so from the first person view, just as I would in the real world. It is so much more immersive over 3rd person. Flying a plane in 1st person makes it much easier to access the needed switches in the cockpit, like the radios or MCP.

PMDG 737-700NG Cockpit

PMDG Beech 1900D Cockpit

MAAM North American B-25J Cockpit

MAAM North American B-25J

PMDG 737-700NG Cockpit

MAAM Douglas DC-3 Cockpit

FSD Pilatus PC-6 Porter Cockpit

Capt. Sim Lockheed C-130 Cockpit

Carenado Mooney M20J Cockpit

You just cannot get a feel for how high you are above the ground, especially for landing from the 3rd person view. I also never shot a weapon from the 3rd person view either and I have been shooting for close to 40 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

A second person game is where you see what's going on through the eyes of the enemies. As far as I know this has only happened in the game Siren: Blood Curse, even then only in a few parts.

pengo93

There were similar sequences in Spider-Man (Yes, the name of the game was just that) and when you faced the first boss in Battletoads.

I think 2nd person mode is best suited to small sequences though, not an entire game.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
You are never the only person who likes or dislikes anything, video games or otherwise.
kmart_43210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 kmart_43210
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

I love first person games. It's the most immersive perspective for me.

Case in point: Mirror's Edge would have been nowhere near as original or fun if it were a third-person platformer (which has been done to death). I can't wait for another one.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
First person is great for immersion. I like third person games, but I don't really feel like I'm 'in the game' unless it's first person.
Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

TPS = Just playing a game.

FPS = You'reIN the game.

Third-person is better for platforming or more complex melee though.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While third person view games let you control a character First person view is intended that you yourself feel like the one walking around making it more personal. That said, everybody has different tastes.
sinclairhxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 sinclairhxc
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts

I use to prefer 3rd person hands down in shooters, but have learned to like fps's. I agree w/ the one post saying that a lot of fps's seem the same and I totally agree, thats why, at least w/ shooters, there's no reason to playing anything but MW2. Why would you buy a different fps? Maybe halo or one of the horror/thriller games that bore the hell out of me, butonline multiplayershooters, no other game should even be made cuz no1 will play it lol. Unless you're into juggling 5 games at a time w/ the same mechanics and slight slight slight differences. As far as rpg's go, I think the first person rpg's have done really well, but third person seems to work better, excluding oblivion lol.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#28 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Interesting view...

I always though by removing a character created by someone else and putting it into a first person perspective it was supposed to enhance the immersion by giving the player the impression they themselves are portraying the character in some manner.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiouds

I feel less immersion in the first person view. Most of the times when attack by a monster they just to a scratching dance and the screen go red or they cause a fancy camera moves.

In third person view the main character react to the attacks and even ponce on.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Exactly, 1st person put you into the game compared to just playing the game as one would do in 3rd person.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

I don't prefer one over the other. But I do agree that FPS makes it seem like you're actually in the game.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
FP is usually a turn off for me. I can be reading a game and get super excited for it but once I see "first person" it all vanishes and I could care less about it. The first person view only immerses me in the shallowest and most worthless of ways. Story and characters are what pull me in so the games that really immerse me are RPGs. I think FP games too often rely on the perspective to be the end all be all so they go crap on all of the things that actually would immerse me in a game. The only FP RPGs I've played were Oblivion, which is terrible imo, and Fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot as a game but never felt immersed because the story and characters weren't good enough or were too goofy for me to feel any type of connection other than, "haha, this game is funny," or "I want to get some more perks."
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

Seeing a Zombie attack and even grab Frank in Dead Rising make me feel immerses compair to many FP that I just see some creature clawing the screen.

I guess seeing the result of the attack is just as important as seeing the attack. Otherwise it just the lower HP.

MW2ISAWSOME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MW2ISAWSOME
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts

You don't like MW2, we have to convert you.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 muthsera666
The only FP RPGs I've played were Oblivion, which is terrible imo, and Fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot as a game but never felt immersed because the story and characters weren't good enough or were too goofy for me to feel any type of connection other than, "haha, this game is funny," or "I want to get some more perks."Senor_Kami
There's your problem. You need an infusion of Morrowind.
eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eccentric_view
I don't know where you're getting this immersion thing, because I always thought immersion had something to do with the game being FUN. Did Donkey Kong Country need a first person view? Did Yoshi's Island? Did Castlevania need one? Mario 64? Super Mario Galaxy? Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Assassin's Creed, Okami, just any fun game ever? You're playing a video game. Giving a silent protagonist or letting you "choose" a name for him DOES NOT an immersive-playing thing make. That just means they gave you a silent protagonist and the ability to pick superficial dialogue changes.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 muthsera666
[QUOTE="eccentric_view"]I don't know where you're getting this immersion thing, because I always thought immersion had something to do with the game being FUN. Did Donkey Kong Country need a first person view? Did Yoshi's Island? Did Castlevania need one? Mario 64? Super Mario Galaxy? Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Assassin's Creed, Okami, just any fun game ever? You're playing a video game. Giving a silent protagonist or letting you "choose" a name for him DOES NOT an immersive-playing thing make. That just means they gave you a silent protagonist and the ability to pick superficial dialogue changes.

Immersion =/= fun. They are two different things. I have fun playing Puzzle Quest. Doesn't mean I'm immersed in it. I'm immersed in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. precisely because it's in first person. If I was watching this guy go through the Zone, it would be one thing, but it's another when I'm actually in his shoes, going through the Zone myself. Everything is then happening to me, not just to him. It places me there. The game isn't fun in the sense of "Wow, that was fun" but more in the sense of going through an experience, one that wouldn't have been the same had I not been there myself.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wiouds

Immersion =/= fun. They are two different things. I have fun playing Puzzle Quest. Doesn't mean I'm immersed in it. I'm immersed in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. precisely because it's in first person. If I was watching this guy go through the Zone, it would be one thing, but it's another when I'm actually in his shoes, going through the Zone myself. Everything is then happening to me, not just to him. It places me there. The game isn't fun in the sense of "Wow, that was fun" but more in the sense of going through an experience, one that wouldn't have been the same had I not been there myself.muthsera666

That is funny because I feel less immerse in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. because of the the First person veiw. Durning a Controler attack and that fance camera move just piss me off and brake me from the game.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"] Immersion =/= fun. They are two different things. I have fun playing Puzzle Quest. Doesn't mean I'm immersed in it. I'm immersed in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. precisely because it's in first person. If I was watching this guy go through the Zone, it would be one thing, but it's another when I'm actually in his shoes, going through the Zone myself. Everything is then happening to me, not just to him. It places me there. The game isn't fun in the sense of "Wow, that was fun" but more in the sense of going through an experience, one that wouldn't have been the same had I not been there myself.wiouds
That is funny because I feel less immerse in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. because of the the First person veiw. Durning a Controler attack and that fance camera move just piss me off and brake me from the game.

I didn't make it as far in the game to see a Controller, but when I was playing, I felt like I was there. I was the one fighting off mutated dogs, watching out for anomalies, sneaking through rusted heaps of cars.

When playing a 3rd person game, I'm watching the character do something. I watched Max Payne exact revenge for the murder of his wife and child. I watch BloodRayne as she slashes Deadites. I watch Sam Fisher protect the United States.

However, I experienced the madness of Cthulhu's minions. I killed Alec Trevelyan. I fought in various incarnations of World War II.

For me 1st person places me in the action, even though the story is different, I am there. In 3rd person, the story is much more about what is happening to the character on the screen, not me.

SethFaulkner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SethFaulkner
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts

idk i think tht there both pretty cool in different ways. like 3rd is good cause u can see the whole player and all the moves and stuff but 1st helps you feel more connected and involed cause u can c like u would if u were really there....but thts just my oppinion ;)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] Immersion =/= fun. They are two different things. I have fun playing Puzzle Quest. Doesn't mean I'm immersed in it. I'm immersed in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. precisely because it's in first person. If I was watching this guy go through the Zone, it would be one thing, but it's another when I'm actually in his shoes, going through the Zone myself. Everything is then happening to me, not just to him. It places me there. The game isn't fun in the sense of "Wow, that was fun" but more in the sense of going through an experience, one that wouldn't have been the same had I not been there myself.muthsera666

I didn't make it as far in the game to see a Controller, but when I was playing, I felt like I was there. I was the one fighting off mutated dogs, watching out for anomalies, sneaking through rusted heaps of cars.

When playing a 3rd person game, I'm watching the character do something. I watched Max Payne exact revenge for the murder of his wife and child. I watch BloodRayne as she slashes Deadites. I watch Sam Fisher protect the United States.

However, I experienced the madness of Cthulhu's minions. I killed Alec Trevelyan. I fought in various incarnations of World War II.

For me 1st person places me in the action, even though the story is different, I am there. In 3rd person, the story is much more about what is happening to the character on the screen, not me.

Having the attack at you could add it to Immersion but I find creature slash at the screen can sometime take me out of the game. I mean that seeing the result from an attack can also bring me into the game more. Like watch a creature manhandle the main character make the danger feel more real.

SethFaulkner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SethFaulkner
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts

a second person game is like halo wars, LOTR conquest, ect. Its where u r completly detached from the action and more like controlling it. 2nd person isdone from Gods pespective.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 muthsera666
Having the attack at you could add it to Immersion but I find creature slash at the screen can sometime take me out of the game. I mean that seeing the result from an attack can also bring me into the game more. Like watch a creature manhandle the main character make the danger feel more real.wiouds
I disagree, but that's why they make different games.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wiouds

I disagree, but that's why they make different games.muthsera666

That is true. I undersatnd you you are coming from. Some times in First person I feel like a floating camera and not a character in that world.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"]I disagree, but that's why they make different games.wiouds

That is true. I undersatnd you you are coming from. Some times in First person I feel like a floating camera and not a character in that world.

There is that problems sometimes. That you're just a gun floating in the air, but most of the good games don't have that feeling.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#46 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I've generally met two types of people who dislike first-person games:

1. People who find modern games too complicated and prefer sidescrollers.

2. People who get motion sickness from one or more FPSs.

eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 eccentric_view
Well I'm sure Bioshock is a good game but a first person view and no auto-aiming pretty much kills the experience for me. There's no enjoyment in playing the game. A third person view like Resident Evil 4 on the Wii made me really like shooter.
LightTheWay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LightTheWay
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

I think a lot of it just has to do with what you are used to. I used to only play 3rd person games so it felt weird for me just to be a hand holding a gun. But then I started playing 1st person games and got used to the interface. Today I prefer 1st person games because I think they control better overall (for example: I don't think 3rd person games will ever be able to totally solve the crappy camera angle problem) .

Note I don't think immersion is a key difference between 1st and 3rd person. I don't agree that immersion is automatically better in a 1st person games. 3rd person games are just as capable of drawing you into the gameworld as 1st person. It's the gameplay and atmosphere that are most important for immersion, not the camera perspective.

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

It's supposed to immerse you into the world.

Your too busy thinking about what will happen to your character or how things will affect your character. If you thought in first-person (how will this effect me) then I think you will begin to like them.

Also, I hope you realize you just said you don't like Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, Borderlands, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 4, Halo, Killzone 2, ESIV: Oblivion, Metroid Prime, and Bioshock.

seanehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 seanehawk
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

First person isn't a bad thing, but lately it's been extremely overused. I don't see why anyone would want as many FPS's as this generation has. Don't see too many first person RPG's, though.