Alpha Protocol SPOILERS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilceazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lilceazer
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

As many of you might know once i complete games i start a topic and talk about it. Well couple days ago i completed alpha protocol, to be honest when i first started playing it i liked certain aspects of the game but wasnt really into it until half way through the game. One thing that kept me really interesting was the hard boss fights. I enjoyed most things about the game to be honest what did you think?

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

i really like that game, still play it sometimes. i dunno why it got so much hate, maybe people were expecting too much from it, i thought it was a really solid 3rd person shooter, the story was terrible but the gameplay is all i care about and i found the running gunning highly entertaining in it, the graphics certainly weren't the best and it wasn't GOTY or anything by far but it is what it is, a really enjoyable 3rd person shooter without all the focus on online mp. it reminded me of the old Syphon Filter games, another game series i always liked.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

The conversation system was tops. Poking and prodding the people you speak with to find out the best tack to take with any one of them was interesting. I also liked the stealth approach- silenced pistols, stealth 'magic', and throat-punch upgrades enabled me to ghost my way through most levels. And the focus on intel gathering and analysis was also a breath of fresh air.

I think the hate stemmed from peoples' unwillingness to accept the game for what it was- a shooter/RPG- and calling it a crappy shooter.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

i thought it was a really solid 3rd person shooter

the story was terrible

Wait, what? Are you sure you're talking about the same game? If anything, Alpha Protocol should be praised for its story, dialogue, rpg elements, multiple paths etc, over its gameplay

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShangTsung7

@El_Zo1212o said:

The conversation system was tops. Poking and prodding the people you speak with to find out the best tack to take with any one of them was interesting. I also liked the stealth approach- silenced pistols, stealth 'magic', and throat-punch upgrades enabled me to ghost my way through most levels. And the focus on intel gathering and analysis was also a breath of fresh air.

I think the hate stemmed from peoples' unwillingness to accept the game for what it was- a shooter/RPG- and calling it a crappy shooter.

never played though it stealthy myself, hmm.. need to try that.

yea that most likely had something to do with the hate, most people i've talked to who've played it out right despise the game, i remember mentioning it to some dude at gamestop at the counter while paying for something and ended up standing there for like 30 minutes listening to him rant about how horrible it was before finally leaving with a puzzled look on my face, true story! lol

lilceazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lilceazer

lol, ive only played through it once and it was on hard and ohh boy is that game hard haha, the bosses were what kept me intrested in the game because i havent had that level of difficulty with a game in a good while. The game has multiplayer?

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShangTsung7

@lilceazer said:

lol, ive only played through it once and it was on hard and ohh boy is that game hard haha, the bosses were what kept me intrested in the game because i havent had that level of difficulty with a game in a good while. The game has multiplayer?

yea the boss battles were a bit intense, tho i never played it on hard either, something else i need to try.. and not sure if it has an mp mode as i never mess with that in these kinda games.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It's been awhile, but there's a pistol skill that fires multiple shots. Point that a bosses face on hard and he'll be dead in seconds. It's not a very balanced game, but I didn't care about that because I was playing it for the RPG aspects, which are phenomenal...miles ahead of anything BioWare has done...ever. Brilliant game.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@dommeus said:

@shangtsung7 said:

the story was terrible

Wait, what? Are you sure you're talking about the same game? If anything, Alpha Protocol should be praised for its story, dialogue, rpg elements, multiple paths etc, over its gameplay

HAHAHAHAHA. Best joke I heard all week.

There is a reason why that game was 20 dollars like 4 weeks after it came out and there is a reason why sega said 2 weeks after it came out that they wouldn't publish anymore games in the series.

HAHAHAHA "praised"

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShangTsung7

@Gargus said:

@dommeus said:

@shangtsung7 said:

the story was terrible

HAHAHAHAHA. Best joke I heard all week.

There is a reason why that game was 20 dollars like 4 weeks after it came out and there is a reason why sega said 2 weeks after it came out that they wouldn't publish anymore games in the series.

HAHAHAHA "praised"

well.. the story was certainly laughable, i'll give ya that.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Well here's what Gamespot had to say about it (from Wikipedia)

"Alpha Protocol's astounding intricacies are tarnished by bugs, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and rough production values." and "Alpha Protocol's ambitions are commendable, and if you're a role-playing fanatic, you'll enjoy investigating its intricacies. It's unfortunate that its various ingredients are so undercooked. The flaky cover system, the mediocre production values, the fundamental blemishes gone unchecked—these elements add up quickly and drag the experience down. The elaborate storytelling and character progression are impressive. It's too bad that the gawky, glitchy gameplay can't rise to the same standard."

lilceazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilceazer

see what gamespot reviewed it, you'd think that you wouldnt enjoy playing it but i really did. Yeah i know about the multiple shot thing, but it takes the fun outta things, i practically had to plan how i was gonna kill each boss step by flipping step

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShangTsung7

@dommeus said:

Well here's what Gamespot had to say about it (from Wikipedia)

"Alpha Protocol's astounding intricacies are tarnished by bugs, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and rough production values." and "Alpha Protocol's ambitions are commendable, and if you're a role-playing fanatic, you'll enjoy investigating its intricacies. It's unfortunate that its various ingredients are so undercooked. The flaky cover system, the mediocre production values, the fundamental blemishes gone unchecked—these elements add up quickly and drag the experience down. The elaborate storytelling and character progression are impressive. It's too bad that the gawky, glitchy gameplay can't rise to the same standard."

strange.. i have actually never encountered a glitch in this game, if i have i didn't notice, imo they got it backwords, the story was a joke even tho the interaction with other characters was somewhat interesting but it was the gun play that kept me going, and i found the cover system pretty solid, it wasn't perfect but it worked just fine to me.

lot of mixed opinions on this one but once again imo i think most of the hate stemmed from people who were just butthurt that it wasn't based solely on multiplayer.