AC Syndicate to feature first transgender character

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Jacanuk said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

So because a transgendered is in there changes everything? No it doesn't, and by the sound of it it's a token character. The only reason there's a female protagonist this year is because of the backlash they received last year.

If it's not relevant to the story then why is that character transgendered? Why couldn't be a black person, a gay person, bi sexual, female, male, asian, etc? Are you catching on yet? Pandering hurts the game because it doesn't help the game, it makes it worse by putting token characters in there

Does pandering automatically make a videogame worse? If pandering does not affect the videogame or its story in any significant way, then why would it be a problem? Just because it's pandering?

If certain character aspects aren't relevant to the story, then you're free to put whatever character you want in there and if, as a result, you choose to pander, then that shouldn't really matter.

Of course Pandering does not automatically make a game worse. But pandering the ubisoft way does mean a worse game.

Again not only do you not get to pick which character you want to play as, you are also forced to play stealth with the female character only. I get they want to pander to the feminists who complained over Unity. But this is just too much.

Which is my point, the only reason there is a female protagonist is because of the complaints. Not because they wanted a female character in the game. That might make the story worse

These release these games every single year. You really think they have time to shoehorn a female protagonist in based on controversy? If that's the case, then you have a serious misunderstanding of how AAA development works.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-syndicates-female-hero-not-respons/1100-6429316/

The director already said that a female protagonist was planned way before any controversy. You don't have an argument, it's all based on the lamest kind of assumptions.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#152 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44316 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Jacanuk said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

So because a transgendered is in there changes everything? No it doesn't, and by the sound of it it's a token character. The only reason there's a female protagonist this year is because of the backlash they received last year.

If it's not relevant to the story then why is that character transgendered? Why couldn't be a black person, a gay person, bi sexual, female, male, asian, etc? Are you catching on yet? Pandering hurts the game because it doesn't help the game, it makes it worse by putting token characters in there

Does pandering automatically make a videogame worse? If pandering does not affect the videogame or its story in any significant way, then why would it be a problem? Just because it's pandering?

If certain character aspects aren't relevant to the story, then you're free to put whatever character you want in there and if, as a result, you choose to pander, then that shouldn't really matter.

Of course Pandering does not automatically make a game worse. But pandering the ubisoft way does mean a worse game.

Again not only do you not get to pick which character you want to play as, you are also forced to play stealth with the female character only. I get they want to pander to the feminists who complained over Unity. But this is just too much.

Which is my point, the only reason there is a female protagonist is because of the complaints. Not because they wanted a female character in the game. That might make the story worse

What is wrong with that? They are also making something for people to enjoy. If people complain about a certain aspect of a game and they decide to do that then that is their perrogative to do so, it is after all their product. Who are you to decide what they should or shouldn't do and why they should do it?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#153 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

These release these games every single year. You really think they have time to shoehorn a female protagonist in based on controversy? If that's the case, then you have a serious misunderstanding of how AAA development works.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-syndicates-female-hero-not-respons/1100-6429316/

The director already said that a female protagonist was planned way before any controversy. You don't have an argument, it's all based on the lamest kind of assumptions.

of course they're going to say that... Deflection mate, that's what you do after last year. Feminists and SJW's bitched and they got their will. Let's see if they buy it

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#154 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I would not buy a AC game even if the main protagonist was a fluffy cat. But I do hope that games bring more diversity, and less stereotypical characters, to their cast. I want games to be like other art/entertainment forms that I enjoy.

Regarding the pointless discussion about this being a reaction to external factors... Well maybe it is. Products do tend to adjust to the demands of the public, specially if those changes point towards a larger buying audience. Because you know... profit.

The funny side is seeing people that spend so much of their time crying on the Internet, and making all kinds of pressure over developers/publishers/sponsors, now complaining that this is caused by -other- people crying on the Internet. That´s why I love the Internet, particularly this SJW VS WJS. <3

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

of course they're going to say that... Deflection mate, that's what you do after last year. Feminists and SJW's bitched and they got their will. Let's see if they buy it

Really? That's your defense?

"Bleh, of course they would say that!"

You seriously don't know how game development works do you? AAA games are in pre-production for at least a year, possibly more before any actual assets are created. Creating a completely a different playable character with her own voice, animation, story scenes, and so on isn't something that can be shoved in at the last minute with little planning.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@phbz said:

Regarding the pointless discussion about this being a reaction to external factors... Well maybe it is. Products do tend to adjust to the demands of the public, specially if those changes point towards a larger buying audience. Because you know... profit.

The thing is it's not most people that want this. Most people don't care. Hell, I'm willing to bet that most transgender people don't even care. It's a very vocal and hostile minority (typically mostly people who don't even belong to said group) that pounce on anything they can to stay relevant. Diversity in media is only good up to the point where it logically makes sense. Less than 1% of the population should be represented as such and contrary to what they want people to believe, it's not a travesty that they're not represented more in media. Media, such as games, movies, tv shows, etc. already do a great job at diversity when compared to the demographics of the United States. The problem is that there's always these groups that want more and more and will fight dirty to try to get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

You're completely detached from reality. Games take a very long time to make, Unity for example started development in 2010, 3 years before the game it's a sequel of had even been released. So obviously Syndicate was already quite a fair way into development before even a single person had complained about Unity. So do you honestly think they were able to make such huge changes to the game in only a few months?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#158 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Maybe they simply know it doesn't really matter and if a female character shuts certain people up (or pulls in a few new consumers without alienating others), while not really sacrificing anything specific, then it's not that big of a problem. That is not to say they should just cave, but well, if they cave because of complaints, then that's on them aswell. I'm sure some loudmouths have a certain amount of influence, but the majority of people buying AC have probably not even heard of the whole leftist critic stuff surrounding certain games. Especially in the case of big games, I really don't think developers/publishers have no choice but to change the character's gender when certain critics whine about it. In the end, it's the developer's/publisher's decision, pressure or not.

Also, a character might simply be badly written, because it's badly written, not because it panders. If a pandering character turns out to be a crappy character, then that doesn't necessarily prove that pandering ruined that character. It might simply mean certain people can't write very well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#159 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69827 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

I am using the same logic for that character to be included as any other. Why does this transgendered character need to be in there. Would the character be the same if they changed the characters gender or race? If yes, then why even bother making the character transgendered? Again i point to Dragon Age, the trans character had a reason to be there. It had a purpose.

"You will be the first one to cry foul if they listed any of the others as you have historically done before."

proof?

"Problematic"

There we have a word feminists and SJW's use when you can't define things. Prove that i am a bigot. I want good characters, not token characters. That's not prejudice, that's demanding quality...

No, you are not using the same logic. If you frequently posted about characters not belonging/ fitting in a game regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc then you would have a foot to stand on but that is not the case. Your behavior and logic is clearly exhibited on the board frequently. And if anyone wants to waste their time they can take a long look at your posts to see just that. So, stop pretending as if you care so much about the story because if you did

1. You will wait until the game is released before you fantastically complain about the character not fitting or belonging.
  2. You will frequently complain about other characters that doesn't belong and not wait until sex,orientation or any of your other prejudice come into play

But, that not the case as you have demonstrated. This conversation would not exist if the character was not transgender but because the character is, we having this conversation. So, are done pretending to be unbiased?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 The_Last_Ride

@Pedro said:

No, you are not using the same logic. If you frequently posted about characters not belonging/ fitting in a game regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc then you would have a foot to stand on but that is not the case. Your behavior and logic is clearly exhibited on the board frequently. And if anyone wants to waste their time they can take a long look at your posts to see just that. So, stop pretending as if you care so much about the story because if you did

1. You will wait until the game is released before you fantastically complain about the character not fitting or belonging.
  2. You will frequently complain about other characters that doesn't belong and not wait until sex,orientation or any of your other prejudice come into play

But, that not the case as you have demonstrated. This conversation would not exist if the character was not transgender but because the character is, we having this conversation. So, are done pretending to be unbiased?

That's a very bold statement to claim that i don't care about story. Unless you know exactly what i think, you are in no position to make that statement.

1. How do you know? I would like to see your time machine, again i pull out the example from Dragon Age Inquisition
  2. Wait what? So i have to wait until their gender is going to act a big role? What? I look at good characters, not at their background unlike you.

Look at my previous statements, you make it seem like i am transphobic...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Pedro  Online

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Pedro said:

That's a very bold statement to claim that i don't care about story. Unless you know exactly what i think, you are in no position to make that statement.

1. How do you know? I would like to see your time machine, again i pull out the example from Dragon Age Inquisition
  2. Wait what? So i have to wait until their gender is going to act a big role? What? I look at good characters, not at their background unlike you.

Its not a bold statement at all. You making assumption with no information. Do you know the story and how the character fits? No. You entire argument is based on the character should not be transgender unless there is a "valid" reason. However, the same "concern" is not exhibited for any of the characters shown. So, why is there an issue specifically with the character being transgender? Is there back log of games in which characters are placed without a valid reason AND this concern was brought up? Since when characters need to have a "valid" reason for having a specific characteristic? Who makes this call? And you are acting like a transphobic. Using Dragon Age as your crutch is akin to "I have _____friends, I can't be_____".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Pedro said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Its not a bold statement at all. You making assumption with no information. Do you know the story and how the character fits? No. You entire argument is based on the character should not be transgender unless there is a "valid" reason. However, the same "concern" is not exhibited for any of the characters shown. So, why is there an issue specifically with the character being transgender? Is there back log of games in which characters are placed without a valid reason AND this concern was brought up? Since when characters need to have a "valid" reason for having a specific characteristic? Who makes this call? And you are acting like a transphobic. Using Dragon Age as your crutch is akin to "I have _____friends, I can't be_____".

No information? We know this character is a quest giver, and from what i've read so far no real character traits to the character, and for some reason this makes a game more diverse and inclusive. I would know some transgendered people who would object with this. Which characters that are shown? The only character we really know are the two main characters? I do not have an issue with the character being transgendered, i am asking why this character is put in there other than to pander? Unless there is some valid backstory or a reason, then i don't really see why putting a minority, which very few people were back then into this game. I am not using Dragon Age as a crutch, lol... I am using it as a good example

And i asked a few of the people i know that are transgendered:

Link

They're kinda all saying the same as me

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Pedro  Online

@The_Last_Ride said:

No information? We know this character is a quest giver, and from what i've read so far no real character traits to the character, and for some reason this makes a game more diverse and inclusive. I would know some transgendered people who would object with this. Which characters that are shown? The only character we really know are the two main characters? I do not have an issue with the character being transgendered, i am asking why this character is put in there other than to pander? Unless there is some valid backstory or a reason, then i don't really see why putting a minority, which very few people were back then into this game. I am not using Dragon Age as a crutch, lol... I am using it as a good example

And i asked a few of the people i know that are transgendered:

Link

They're kinda all saying the same as me

A quest giver is no information. You factually do not know how the character relates to the story. You don't have information. And like I mentioned before

"Is there back log of games in which characters are placed without a valid reason AND this concern was brought up? Since when characters need to have a "valid" reason for having a specific characteristic?"

Unless there is some valid backstory or a reason, then i don't really see why putting a minority, which very few people were back then into this game.

There has NEVER been a precedence for needing or requiring a "valid" backstory for any character in a game until you created this bullshit requirement purely because the person is transgender.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#164 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

This is just going around in cirlces at this point so I'm going to lock it.

@The_Last_Ride please do not post your twitter feed in threads. You can quote someone without posting direct links.

-Byshop