A guide to reviving Sonic from the dead: Common game flaws debunked.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-SiiLeNCE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 -SiiLeNCE-
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts

The first thing is the amount of characters. There's no need for 12-16 characters at a time! If it were up to me, I would make the storyline playable with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles; and that's it. The characters that matter. They can add as many other characters as they want, but leave them for multiplayer or for when you're just screwing around. Who the hell wants to play as Big the Cat or Amy anyways? They always feel the need to stretch the game out longer with secondary krappy characters no-one cares about. I don't know about you, but playing the same levels over and over again as E-102-Y pretty much sucked.

Speaking of E-102-Y, it's also bad whenever they try to mix in elements that have nothing to do with Sonic. The series isn't about fishing or shooting robots, its about action and speed; and if something you're adding isn't contributing to that, it doesn't belong there. However, having the different characters play differently is a fantastic addition and opens up a lot of opportunities for replayability.

Another thing that needs to be changed is the storylines and "adventure" elements. The adventure fields were fine, and you can tell that SEGA's dancing around it with what they gave in Sonic Advance 3 and the boat stages in Sonic Rush Adventure. They added exploration and depth, and they can still retain to the Sonic formula if they do it properly. The storylines need a complete overhaul. If they made a game where feelings were lost, people died, that were similar to the Sonic Adventure series, and had the same depth as the comics did; it would be end-all.

Finally, SEGA needs to stop half-assing their games or Sonic will slowly crumble to the ground. If they keep putting these krappy games out as a cash-grab while mooching of systems that are popular at the moment while ignoring camera and kiddy-image problems that have been with the series since day one; it will never curve up!

But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
A really fast way to revive Sonic would be to make him a playable character in Brawl.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
Thing is, that kind of speed Sonic once had really does not translate well into 3D.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

While it cool that you're trying to think of a way to "save" Sonic, the only way to do it would be to relegate all Sonic games as 2D handheld games, because lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3D, and they would never make a major console game that was 2D, so he should just live on on the DS.

FearNeutron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FearNeutron
Member since 2003 • 248 Posts

Thing is, that kind of speed Sonic once had really does not translate well into 3D.HandsomeDead

because lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3DGamefan1986

That's why I've always thought that Sonic should have been the 3D on a side-scrolling field type game. Like New Super Mario Bros. Yeah, 3D is the cool new way to make games, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to drastically change the gameplay. Sonic was fun for me as long as it was a side-scroller. Ever since they changed that I haven't found a Sonic game I've really liked since.

It's like the difference between Mega Man 64 and Mega Man: Powered Up. MM64 tried the whole running around Mario 64 style and it didn't work at all. But MM: PU was 3D with that same old MM gameplay and it was a blast to play through.

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

I never felt the Sonic games were all about the speed and the enemies were never all that difficult, there's much more exploration involved in the good Genesis games than most people give credit for. Much of the challenge and fun came from trying to find all the secrets and different paths in a stage while maintaining control of a fast character.

I'd like to have more big branching stages with multiple paths and platforming puzzles in the new games over 30 seconds of holding forward while Sonic runs through a predetermined roller coaster ride. More homages to the old stages that deserve a facelift instead of constantly coming up with new zones and hubs just for the sake of something new. And of course less emphasis on Sonics percieved "attitude" and the increasingly bad storylines and extra characters.

A hi-res, 60 fps 2D Sonic game with the care of Odin Sphere behind the artwork would be perfect for the series. Tons going on the in the background, great animation and old school level design. Maybe a few RPG-lite elements thrown in for good measure. That's a Sonic game I could get excited for.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
For me, they screwed up sonic so many times, I don't care much about the series anymore.
Tingle-Tuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Tingle-Tuner
Member since 2006 • 980 Posts
MAKE A FREE-ROAMING SONIC GAME! I'm tired of falling off the platforms and into bottomless pits every two seconds!
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3DGamefan1986
Sonic Adventure 9.2
Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts
Sonic games just dont fit in a 3D enviroment that well. Unless it is a side scroller, in which case they have been just making them for a handhelds, where side scrollers still work. Sonic was Segas answer to Mario, with more speed. But unlike Mario, sonic couldnt make the jump to 3D because of the genre it was in. That, and lets face it, beyond the fact that the Sonic formula doesnt work that well in 3D, the games have a lot of other legitimate problems working against them as well. Just arent as polished as a lot of other games.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#11 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

i think you're right with everything. Especially the stupid characters.

What he really needs is to go back to 2D

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3DPanzer_Zwei
Sonic Adventure 9.2

that's his only good 3d game
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3DBuryMe
Sonic Adventure 9.2

Sonic Adventure 2 also got a pretty good score actually. But regardless, it was 3D and it worked, that's all there is to it.

The whole "it doesn't work in 3D" it's just an excuse for justifying the devs lack of vision.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#14 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

All this "teh Sonic doesn't work in 3D!!!111one" is actually complete bollocks. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were great games. The problem is that Sega half arse their games now. I mean I had the Sonic for the 360. The gameplay was ok, problems:

A)Story sucked
B)Had the worst load times of any game ever - Example here
C)Playing as other characters except Sonic / Shadow was awful
D)Some gameplay glitches.

But the core gameplay elements and characters are there to make a fantastic game, in 3D. If sega would just put more effort in then trying to cash up on the name alone.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
B)Had the worst load times of any game ever - Example hereAzelKosMos
Damn, the load times are the worst I've ever seen. It's shameful that Sega would leave something like that in the game.
Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]lets face it, Sonic just doesn't work in 3DPanzer_Zwei

Sonic Adventure 9.2

Sonic Adventure 2 also got a pretty good score actually. But regardless, it was 3D and it worked, that's all there is to it.

The whole "it doesn't work in 3D" it's just an excuse for justifying the devs lack of vision.

*clap* *clap* *clap*