60% Failure rate for xbox 360

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Curzad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Curzad
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts

Sucks because I like the 360 but I've hadtwo stop working on me in the last 2 years. This is bad news for MS right before the holidays and Yahoo has it front and center on it's homepage.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-92/1376452

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It's a survey, it probably realistically is 15%. My 360 from launch is fine.

streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

My 360 broke the other day after 2 years. I took such good care of it. I kept it dust-free, I made sure it got plenty of ventilation and I never played it for longer than 2 hours in one sitting. It seems they're absolutely guaranteed to break down, no matter what you do. It's a joke. Completely unacceptable. They will fix it for free, but it's a huge inconvenience. It's pretty much convinced me that I picked the wrong console this gen. I won't make the same mistake in the future and I will not forget this when the next generation of consoles comes about. Microsoft have lost me. The only way they can get me back is if they send me a brand new 360 that won't break down for at least 4-5 years...

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
That does it, I wont get a 360 for one of kids who wants for Christmas this year.... PS3 for sure.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Man, it is terrible. I hate having to worry about if my 360 is gonna break all the time, and it has 3 times. If it didn't have so many great games and achievment points, I would feel ripped off. Still, if somebody was going to buy a console, the 360 should be your first choice!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

About 2 years after launch, I bought a 360. I assumed that by that time, they would hav fixed the problems.

Then, about 3 months after buying it, it stopped working.

Now it's 2 years later and I've never even considered getting it fixed. I simply won't buy any more 360 games, and I won't buy Microsoft's next console.

As I recently said in a topic about a specific game, the FIRST thing I expect when I buy something IS FOR THAT THING TO WORK. That's #1. Actual QUALITY is secondary to that. Because IF IT DOES NOT WORK, then how the hell am I supposed to APPRECIATE THE QUALITY.

We're far past the time in which this **** should be happening. Hell, I've heard about these kinds of problems happening with the first PS2's. My launch PS2 still works fine, but what was that? Ten years ago? Apparently, a LOT of people actually DID have these problems at least that far back, and probably even farther back with some other consoles.

Isn't that ****ing unacceptable? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously asking. Really, is there anyone here who finds this acceptable? Because ever since the PS2 I've seen a LOT of talk about certain consoles having a high rate of not ****ing working, and that just boggles my goddamned mind. Why do wew, as consumers, still put up with this ****? Why is this still ****ing happening?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I find it acceptable, and you should too. It's the price of good games. Hardware dies, simply buy another one.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer

I find it acceptable, and you should too. It's the price of good games. Hardware dies, simply buy another one.

Rekunta

Or I could NOT buy another one, and do something else instead.

Seriously, **** anyone who releases these kinds of products with these kinds of problems.

How often do people buy an HD-TV, only to find that the TV suddenly stops working 6 months later?

People don't put up with this **** when it comes to refrigerators, lawnmowers, or books. If you bought a book, and it suddenly disintegrated in your hands 6 months later, wouldn't you be pissed off?

The game industry gets away with this **** because gamers are willing to spend their hard-earned money on ****. That is the ONLY reason why this is happening. And if customers stopped doing it, the industry would be FORCED to stop selling stuff that is ****.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

At least MS fixes it for free.

Sony charges $150 to fix your $600 console. The sad thing is that they wont stop charging for it because PS3 owners have shown that they are willing to shell out $150 for a console that lasted them only 2 years. Like Geezer said, the fact that people kept buying those PS2s that DRE-ed on them, and the fact that people have bought THREE 360s is the reason why gaming industry gets away with this.

I have NEVER had my DVD player or TV die on me. EVER.

My grandfather's 20 year old TV was still running fine when my mom bought him a newer TV set. My launch PS3 last two years and Sony expects me to pay $150 for it. Yeah, how about you jump in front of a train, Jack Tretton! I hope you get run over by a bus on your way to work. I hope Howard Stinger's wife cheats on him and gets him an STDs.

There's no way in hell I'm paying those *****ers $150. It's about prinicples at this point.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Rekunta

I've never paid for a hardware company's sloth (Dean Takarashi's article makes clear MS knew it was shipping defective hardware, but didn't care). If the company repairs defective hardware for free, fine (my PS2, PS3 and X360 were repaired for free), but when a company doesn't stand behind the hardware (MS told me to eat the cost of the $100 wireless modem) I just move on.

I'd give up gaming before I started rewarding companies for incompetence, greed and/or negligence.

http://games.venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

MrGeezer

Seriously, **** anyone who releases these kinds of products with these kinds of problems.

How often do people buy an HD-TV, only to find that the TV suddenly stops working 6 months later?

People don't put up with this **** when it comes to refrigerators, lawnmowers, or books. If you bought a book, and it suddenly disintegrated in your hands 6 months later, wouldn't you be pissed off?

The game industry gets away with this **** because gamers are willing to spend their hard-earned money on ****. That is the ONLY reason why this is happening. And if customers stopped doing it, the industry would be FORCED to stop selling stuff that is ****.

:lol: Exactly, they knew it was busted and still released it to get the drop on Sony.
Ghost_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Ghost_Face
Member since 2002 • 7676 Posts

About 2 years after launch, I bought a 360. I assumed that by that time, they would hav fixed the problems.

Then, about 3 months after buying it, it stopped working.

Now it's 2 years later and I've never even considered getting it fixed. I simply won't buy any more 360 games, and I won't buy Microsoft's next console.

As I recently said in a topic about a specific game, the FIRST thing I expect when I buy something IS FOR THAT THING TO WORK. That's #1. Actual QUALITY is secondary to that. Because IF IT DOES NOT WORK, then how the hell am I supposed to APPRECIATE THE QUALITY.

We're far past the time in which this **** should be happening. Hell, I've heard about these kinds of problems happening with the first PS2's. My launch PS2 still works fine, but what was that? Ten years ago? Apparently, a LOT of people actually DID have these problems at least that far back, and probably even farther back with some other consoles.

Isn't that ****ing unacceptable? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously asking. Really, is there anyone here who finds this acceptable? Because ever since the PS2 I've seen a LOT of talk about certain consoles having a high rate of not ****ing working, and that just boggles my goddamned mind. Why do wew, as consumers, still put up with this ****? Why is this still ****ing happening?

MrGeezer

Seriously?!? That sounds very ignorant to me. Yes, blame the hardware for being unreliable, but blame yourself for taking the ridiculous stance of not getting it fixed when MS offered warranties that would have covered your system at the time you claimed yours broke. It's not bad to want or expect products you buy to work beyond a few months, but sometimes it happens. It doesn't end at gaming consoles. I purchased an electric razor that crapped out on me within six months of purchasing. I bought a car that had a serious problem within a year of purchasing it. Now you see a company with an impeccable reputation like Toyota going through what it is and it's a PR nightmare. The last thing I'm going to do when stuff like that happens is let them off the hook. I want my free repair or a refund. I want to get as much use out of that product as I possibly can after purchasing it. You basically let them off the hook for this and are now complaining on a message board. What's wrong with that?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That's why I treat mine with kid gloves. I only play it when a must-have exclusive comes along. Alan Wake comes to mind...

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

Rekunta

Thats a very bleak way to justify spending a few hundred dollars. Mine broke 2 years ago and its always in the back of my head that my referbished one will kick the bucket when i turn it on b/c it sounds like a bloody jet engine.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dogswithguns

Sony charges $150 to fix your $600 console. The sad thing is that they wont stop charging for it because PS3 owners have shown that they are willing to shell out $150 for a console that lasted them only 2 years. Like Geezer said, the fact that people kept buying those PS2s that DRE-ed on them, and the fact that people have bought THREE 360s is the reason why gaming industry gets away with this.

My grandfather's 20 year old TV was still running fine when my mom bought him a newer TV set. My launch PS3 last two years and Sony expects me to pay $150 for it. Yeah, how about you jump in front of a train, Jack Tretton! I hope you get run over by a bus on your way to work. I hope Howard Stinger's wife cheats on him and gets him an STDs.

There's no way in hell I'm paying those *****ers $150. It's about prinicples at this point.

S0lidSnake

I paid $150 to repares my ex g/f PS3(they didn't repare it, they sent me a brand new PS3 instead), girls they dont know how to takecare of their systems. ....did MS send you a brand new 360? - no.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

JigglyWiggly_

No, it realistically is around 60%. There are plenty of accurate stats out there on console failure rates. You are lucky if it hasn't happened to you (yet), but don't refute a statistic just because you are not one of them. That's like saying you or someone you know will never die from cancer or heart disease just because you are currently healthy, even though stats say otherwise.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well thats why i choose a ps3, a pc can stop playing the game for a reason, same goes for x360 but not on ps3.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#18 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I like how4-5 different companies have done the same survey and they all get percentages higher and higher. I'm going to do this board a favor and say they have a 100% failure rate because eventually everything breaks down.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Dogswithguns

I paid $150 to repares my ex g/f PS3(they didn't repare it, they sent me a brand new PS3 instead), girls they dont know how to takecare of their systems. ....did MS send you a brand new 360? - no.

They sent her a "refurbished" one. It's not brand new.

And it has nothing to d with your gf not taking care of the system. PS3 YLODs because of faulty components. It's a FACT.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Rekunta
I did buy an Elite to replace my crappy old Pro model but it's still BS. 60% is too high but the amount of problems the 360 has had is utterly pathetic.
Curzad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Curzad
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts

I like how4-5 different companies have done the same survey and they all get percentages higher and higher. I'm going to do this board a favor and say they have a 100% failure rate because eventually everything breaks down.smerlus

Hey my Atari 2600 still works and it's from 1978 :) I do agree that everything does break down with time. But the Xbox360 should at least last5 years with no problems. Some are breaking after a few months.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I've had mine fail 3 times. Luckily, MS repaired it for free each time, so no big loss other than the inconvenience of being without the 360 for a couple of weeks.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"]I like how4-5 different companies have done the same survey and they all get percentages higher and higher. I'm going to do this board a favor and say they have a 100% failure rate because eventually everything breaks down.Curzad

Hey my Atari 2600 still works and it's from 1978 :) I do agree that everything does break down with time. But the Xbox360 should at least last5 years with no problems. Some are breaking after a few months.

Although in fairness, the old cartridge consoles had no moving parts, which are the main causes of a console breaking down.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer

Seriously?!? That sounds very ignorant to me. Yes, blame the hardware for being unreliable, but blame yourself for taking the ridiculous stance of not getting it fixed when MS offered warranties that would have covered your system at the time you claimed yours broke. It's not bad to want or expect products you buy to work beyond a few months, but sometimes it happens. It doesn't end at gaming consoles. I purchased an electric razor that crapped out on me within six months of purchasing. I bought a car that had a serious problem within a year of purchasing it. Now you see a company with an impeccable reputation like Toyota going through what it is and it's a PR nightmare. The last thing I'm going to do when stuff like that happens is let them off the hook. I want my free repair or a refund. I want to get as much use out of that product as I possibly can after purchasing it. You basically let them off the hook for this and are now complaining on a message board. What's wrong with that?

Ghost_Face

Early on, aren't most consoles sold at a loss, since they make up the money in games sales? I don't think of it as "letting them off the hook". Not at all. Now Microsoft isn't getting any of my money through game sales. They've also lost my confidence, and I won't be buying their stuff when the next console comes out either.

And yeah, everything has a certain number of defective units released, but the 360's failure rate is so ridiculously high that there is no excuse. If you've got a product that fails THAT often, then it's not ready for release.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dogswithguns

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

They sent her a "refurbished" one. It's not brand new.

And it has nothing to d with your gf not taking care of the system. PS3 YLODs because of faulty components. It's a FACT.

No, dude. it was a brand new in new wrap and everything you can tell if new or refurbs.... and she didnt take good care of it and she knew it bcuz she put it inside the cabinet glassdoor shut..... but anyway, to each of their own. believe what you believe.

I had my PS3 since launched and still running quiet like new. unlike the launched 360 I had was loud as a jet taking off and RRoD on me, and now I dont want it anymore - FACT.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

MrGeezer

Just kidding MrG, I was looking to see your reply. Totally agree.

ateace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ateace3
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts
mine broke about two weeks ago. ups tracking has had it stuck outside of pittsburgh for over a week. xbox.com doesn't even have it listed as shipped out yet. im thinking it was either lost or some other major mess up. im going to have to call tomorrow. either way, microsoft really dropped the ball on this gen of console, and has even made me questioning whether or not i want to sell my xbox and just totally switch over to ps3.
Mjwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mjwick
Member since 2009 • 90 Posts
I've had a 360 for about 3 and a half years now. My original one broke last August. I got it repaired and sent back to me in less than two weeks, and haven't had any problems since then. Unfortunately I have friends who've had theirs break several times. I guess it's really just the luck of the draw.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

JigglyWiggly_
guess what that servey does not lie either, ive had 5 break on me within the last 3 yrs -3 rrod 1 sent for power problems another ones disc drive failed i must note the newest 360 bought in 08 already was sent in for te av problems /power problems ,
Avatar image for wiistation36000
wiistation36000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wiistation36000
Member since 2009 • 215 Posts

S0lidSnake

Settle down mate, your console breaking is no reason to wish death threats on the designers! :o

3aNkabot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 3aNkabot
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
I'm not surprised ..
HipnotiKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HipnotiKal
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts

its funny because this guy i work with told me to get ps3 and not 360 because 360 would break down when i wasn't sure which i wanted to buy. i ended up getting the arcade 360 and 7 months later it still works great. the funny thing is his ps3 got the yellow lights of death or whatever you call it and he had to fix it himself since he lost his recipt. but it happened again and he ended up having to buy another one.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts
I sold mine to my friend several years ago and about a year later from when he bought it from me it red ringed. Luckily Microsoft extended the warranty and he was able to get it fixed for free and it's been working fine ever since. Truthfully, I'd like another Xbox 360 somewhere along the line. There is some games I'd really love to play such as Fable 2, Fable 3, Halo 3 and ODST, Halo: Reach, and Gears of War 2 and 3. But I'll probably wait a bit more.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

I'm not saying that the 360 is a bad system, but I've known some people that went through 4 consoles because of it failing.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I am having problems connecting to PSN and the asshats at SONY want me to send it in for $150..

Horrible customer service.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer

I am having problems connecting to PSN and the asshats at SONY want me to send it in for $150..

samuraiguns

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but I WOULD take that $150 and buy a bicycle or something. Maybe put it away in the bank for a rainy day. Or hell, maybe I'd use that $150 to put towards buying a Wii (not sure if the Wii is any better, but I'm not hearing about as many complaints as with the PS3 and 360).

But Sony sort of had their chance, and they blew it. So...the hell with them.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do with YOUR money, I'm just saying what I'd do if I were in your situation.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart

I like how4-5 different companies have done the same survey and they all get percentages higher and higher. I'm going to do this board a favor and say they have a 100% failure rate because eventually everything breaks down.smerlus

More breakdowns over time is plausible but unacceptable at this stage in the game. Shrugging off the loss of any gamer is foolish, but that is doubly true of the type of deep pocketed gamers that picked up the launch PS3 that tend to YLOD (or so I've been told, mine suffered from a controller connection problem).

There are clearly lots of adult core gamers who shrug off broken systems as they cost of doing business, but both Sony and MS are currently chasing parents (who tend to make purchasing decisions for their core gamer kids) and next year they will be chasing casuals in a big way. Both groups seek to avoid avoidable headaches, so having a rep for shipping buggy hardware will really minimize the appeal of Sony and MS even if (against my expectations) they manage to come up with games that appeal to casuals.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

in the past year Mine, My Girlfriends and my brother's 360 have all RROD'd I cant speak for my PS3 because I only got it a few weeks ago and I havent really played it much since finishing MGS4.

Avatar image for de_geniale_mike
de_geniale_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 de_geniale_mike
Member since 2005 • 112 Posts

Man, it is terrible. I hate having to worry about if my 360 is gonna break all the time, and it has 3 times. If it didn't have so many great games and achievment points, I would feel ripped off. Still, if somebody was going to buy a console, the 360 should be your first choice!

AtomicTangerine

> I hate having to worry about if my 360 is gonna break all the time, and it has 3 times

> the 360 should be your first choice!

How can you still support the 360 after 3 breakdowns. Have you been brainwashed?

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#40 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Well thats why i choose a ps3, a pc can stop playing the game for a reason, same goes for x360 but not on ps3.dakan45

say what?

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

MrGeezer

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but I WOULD take that $150 and buy a bicycle or something. Maybe put it away in the bank for a rainy day. Or hell, maybe I'd use that $150 to put towards buying a Wii (not sure if the Wii is any better, but I'm not hearing about as many complaints as with the PS3 and 360).

But Sony sort of had their chance, and they blew it. So...the hell with them.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do with YOUR money, I'm just saying what I'd do if I were in your situation.

That is the trap they have caught me in, I am not phlegmatic gamer so the Wii is not for me, I don't like XBOX games because 75% of them are on the PC...I have a gaming PC...I have fell in love with my console...It is like an abusive lover you keep coming to, back even after the first blow.

AngstOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AngstOverlord
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

say what?

Gammit10
Older PC games are notoriously fickle. There are some workarounds for older stuff like DOSBox but it's very frustrating having a purchased title cease functioning. Since my version of Carmageddon is the DOS edition it has issues with Windows. It'll run in low-res (and randomly crash) but not even boot in hi-res. There was a Windows-compliant edition released later on that was easier to run but that doesn't fix my copy. I also had an install of Sims 2 kill itself without provocation. It's fixable but still annoying. My original 360's disc drive failed. It was quickly repaired and returned. As soon as the warranty ran out the stupid drive broke again. The tech I spoke to was able to arrange a free repair since it was something that was supposed to have been fixed before. I was sent back a different unit made just before the HDMI implementation (and new chip sets) but the system is still doing well and hasn't had problems so far. I keep it in a well ventilated place so I'm not paranoid about it melting its innards. I have a friend who keeps her 360 in a confined area and despite warnings she won't move it. That thing runs so warm the discs come out heated. It survives only because it's a Jasper model but I'm sure many of the red-ringed 360's are being kept in similar environments. There are likely several that die despite responsible owners but the majority of failures may be at least exacerbated by poor ownership practices.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I wonder why people keep bringing up old news...

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

de_geniale_mike

> I hate having to worry about if my 360 is gonna break all the time, and it has 3 times

> the 360 should be your first choice!

How can you still support the 360 after 3 breakdowns. Have you been brainwashed?

Bro, the hardware failures are terrible, nobody is disputing that. The thing is that, disregarding that, the 360 is by far the best console at the moment. If my Wii or PS3 broke, I wouldn't be too worried about having to wait to get it fixed. They could take a month, and it wouldn't be a big deal. When my 360 broke, I was so bummed out I actually bought another one.

I get I could just not have a 360 and play other stuff, but the thing is that I want to play 360 games. I like Halo and Gears of War, and when there are multiplatform games, I love the achievments. Also, everybody else has a 360, so if I want to play with friends, that's the place to do it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Microsoft did the worst when it comes to hardware, but the best when it comes to actual games when everything is working right, which is the vast majority of the time. I would rather put up with the hardware problems than miss out on all the 360 stuff.

Avatar image for justletmesignup
justletmesignup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 justletmesignup
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

Am I the only one who sees this? MS obviously isn't going to fix it, and there is one SIMPLE explanation for it:

PIRACY

Does any one remember how frequent modding the original Xbox was? This way they can control customers who are not necessarily technology savvy, but are still aware of mods. If it breaks, you have no choice but to send it in, unless you know someone who can fix it. This has been my theory for the longest time now.

Yes, they may spend over a billion dollars to fix each and every console sent in for repairs, but this way they can secure third party developers for now and the future as it becomes seen as the console with the least amount of pirated games.

I, myself have had four 360's and after the last break, I sold it ASAP. I may not like my PS3 as much, but hey, IT STILL WORKS.

In conclusion, MS is clever for doing this, as long as they make a profit this generation, I doubt they care how many consoles they have to repair.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CarnageHeart

Am I the only one who sees this? MS obviously isn't going to fix it, and there is one SIMPLE explanation for it:

PIRACY

Does any one remember how frequent modding the original Xbox was? This way they can control customers who are not necessarily technology savvy, but are still aware of mods. If it breaks, you have no choice but to send it in, unless you know someone who can fix it. This has been my theory for the longest time now.

Yes, they may spend over a billion dollars to fix each and every console sent in for repairs, but this way they can secure third party developers for now and the future as it becomes seen as the console with the least amount of pirated games.

I, myself have had four 360's and after the last break, I sold it ASAP. I may not like my PS3 as much, but hey, IT STILL WORKS.

In conclusion, MS is clever for doing this, as long as they make a profit this generation, I doubt they care how many consoles they have to repair.

justletmesignup

Your theory is very interesting, but I don't buy it. Clearly XBL allows MS to detect which systems have been hacked so there was no need to force consumers to ship their consoles to MS every couple of months.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself but yeah, I'm still paranoid with mine. But I guess it'll happen no matter what I do. I hope it doesn't, but if it does, than it should be no surprise.
Ghost_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghost_Face
Member since 2002 • 7676 Posts

Early on, aren't most consoles sold at a loss, since they make up the money in games sales? I don't think of it as "letting them off the hook". Not at all. Now Microsoft isn't getting any of my money through game sales. They've also lost my confidence, and I won't be buying their stuff when the next console comes out either.

And yeah, everything has a certain number of defective units released, but the 360's failure rate is so ridiculously high that there is no excuse. If you've got a product that fails THAT often, then it's not ready for release.

MrGeezer

Yes, typically at the beginning of a consoles lifecycle, it is sold for a loss. What's does that have to do with this discussion? If his console was still under warranty when it broke down and he did not send it in for the company to repair it, then I would consider that letting them off the hook. The warranty by definition is a manufacturer's promise to fix those units that are in need of repair under a certain time frame. They are responsible for the equipment working under normal usage until that time frame has expired.

I fail to see how this poster has reached the conclusion that not getting his console fixed does any good. If nothing, he could have sent it in for the free repairs and turned around and sold it. He may have not recouped all of his money, but it would have been a whole lot better than leaving the console broken.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#50 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes it is unacceptable and it shouldn't have sold. Consumers are very uninformed about these things.
In my country there is a kind of unity for consumers. They can inform You whether a product is living up to expectations and what stores are scams etc.
There are also laws stating that M$ has to fix it for free if it breaks in 3 years time. Which has nothing to do with their warranty.
I'm not sure how this works in all the different states but You might want to look it up. I have heard of some people paying money for repairs? I doubt that You have to.
Never listen to warranties, they are usually non-existant boundaries to the laws in place. Or in other words, lies to keep You from getting what You are entitled to.