alozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alozi
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

To play in 4K & Streaming in 4K, is it really needed to have a tv that supports 4K?

Or will 4K work on a 1080p TV?

I'm thinking of Playstation 4 Slim & PC.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

You can't stream it with out a 4k tv Netflix want let you

alozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alozi

@granddogg said:

You can't stream it with out a 4k tv Netflix want let you

Is it just netflix?

What about youtube, can I watch a video in 4K if it supports 4K, on a 1080p monitor?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

You won't be able to do this on PS4 Slim - it will force you to display at the native resolution. Which is fine, because there isn't much benefit to streaming a 4K show on a 1080p TV.

However, the PS4 Pro will supposedly offer supersampling, which is a case where it renders at a higher resolution and it gets resampled for display on your 1080p TV. This is a feature that is easy to implement on PC. But the only benefits are as follows: it can substitute for or enhance anti-aliasing methods, and - when supported - it can get your system working with higher quality assets that were reserved for 4K resolution originally. So you can get *some* improvement in visual fidelity using supersampling, depending on how well it is supported by the game.

I see no point, whatsoever, for you to try to force 4K netflix to work on a 1080p display.

This is not a SW topic, I am moving this to General Discussion

alozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alozi

@xantufrog said:

You won't be able to do this on PS4 Slim - it will force you to display at the native resolution. Which is fine, because there isn't much benefit to streaming a 4K show on a 1080p TV.

However, the PS4 Pro will supposedly offer super-sampling, which is a case where it renders at a higher resolution and it gets resampled for display on your 1080p TV. This is a feature that is easy to implement on PC. But the only benefits are as follows: it can substitute for or enhance anti-aliasing methods, and - when supported - it can get your system working with higher quality assets than were reserved for 4K resolution originally. So you can get *some* improvement in visual fidelity using supersampling, depending on how well it is supported by the game.

I see no point, whatsoever, for you to try to force 4K netflix to work on a 1080p display.

This is not a SW topic, I am moving this to General Discussion

Oh okay, thanks for the information!

So yeah I guess that even Playstation PRO wont let me to stream on netflix/youtube & play on a 1080p monitor?

And thanks for moving this, was unsure where to place this x)

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

Unless it gets super sample it won't look better in 1080p.....if you loving the look of 4k make the jump it's nice

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

A 1080p display can show at most 1920 * 1080 pixels. Pixels, in case you don't know, are small squares that have a specific color each frame. The more pixels a screen has, the finer details it can show.

4k screens have 3840 × 2160 pixels. So 4k video has 8,294,400 pixels. If you try to watch it on a 1080p screen that has only 2,073,600 pixels and since pixels can only have one color per frame each, excess pixels will be discarded. So there is no point viewing a source that is more than 1080p on a 1080p screen.

alozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alozi

@pug987: Yeah you're right, didn't have a clue before, the only thing I knew were that more pixels = better picture x)

Ty!

bobthegoat2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobthegoat2001
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

@pug987:

I know this is an old post, but it's not all about pixels, but also about bitrate. Netflix's 4k video has a higher bitrate than the 1080p video. For example, how a Blu-Ray 1080p video looks better than a streamed 1080p, because Blu-Ray movies have a higher bitrate. Because of this, I think a 4k stream on Netflix would, in fact, look better than the 1080p stream, even though it's not showing all the pixels.