2D or not 2D? Should we ban together to resurrect 2D, or let it go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neoreign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Neoreign
Member since 2003 • 423 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I am a big fan of 2D. I have notice that it's pretty much deceased as the next generation of games and systems enter the gaming industry, but I must say that I morn it's departure and wish for its triumphant return in the future. I know that as far as it's technical abilities when compared to 3D is concerned, it's beaten in about every aspect (except in memory and time consumption), but I believe there are some redeeming factors to making games in 2D.

First, if for nothing at all, I think the pure artistic aspect of 2D should keep it alive. Some 2D games just look amazing and help immerse the player into the world that they're engaged in. Games like "Odin Sphere" and "Valkyries Profile" are proof of this claim. The way the story is told and the world it involves is heighten by the fact that the world and its characters are in 2D. I think that if those games were created in a 3D world, they wouldn't be nearly as engrossing as they were. An example of this is within "Valkyries Profile 2: Silmeria". Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it just wasn't as immersive as the first "Valkyries Profile". I believe that it is because the first game was in 2D, and because the same story (told in a different part of time mind you) was in 3D, it didn't feel right. But, had they've done the game in 2D, I think it would have been a better game then it was.

Another reason we should keep 2D alive is that I don't think we have explored the gameplay possibilities that 2D could posses. Even though it is an old technology, I don't think we should just discard something that could break the monotonous flow of copy-cat game mechanics that we are slowly diving into. To be honest, I haven't really given any thought to the new way's that 2D could evolve a video games gameplay yet, but I am hoping that some individuals that read this can put their thoughts to what could be created.

And lastly, Some of our favorite games that were 2D hits, do not cross over well from 2D, even though they are still spectacular games and characters *cough sonic cough*. Please tell me what you think about 2D's current situation, and what can be done to resurrect it. Or you can tell me if you think 2D time is up and there is no hope for it.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
i'm not sure we can really say 2d is dead anymore. It seems like there's a real resurgence going on thanks to the new market for downloadable titles, whether it be XBLA, PSN, or Wii Ware. It's really pretty great.
firedonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 firedonut
Member since 2007 • 390 Posts
As far as I'm concerened, 2D is already in the process of rising from its ashes.
DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

When you talk about 2-D games, do you mean complete 2-D games (graphics & gameplay) or just 2-D gameplay?

I f we consider 2-D gameplay, it still has some good juice left (just look at LittleBigPlanet's 3-plane 2D gameplay with 3-D graphics). Another thing is if major developers are willing to use 2-D gameplay in a significant portion of the games to come, and I consider that they aren't willing enough to do so.

If we consider complete 2-D games, one of the advantages thatit brings is the part of lower development costs. Any good draughtsperson would be able to use cel-shading, pixel images, or even pictures in order to create backgrounds, objects & characters! Based on this, I consider 2-D games a pretty viable alternative for smaller &/or independent developers to make their games.

Overall, I would say 2-D games will be with us for a long time, but won't steal the spotlight 3-D gaming acquired in the 5th gen.

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

There should definately be more games in 2D. 2D games look absolutely beatiful these days. I mean just look at Muramasa.

Neoreign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Neoreign

When you talk about 2-D games, do you mean complete 2-D games (graphics & gameplay) or just 2-D gameplay?

I f we consider 2-D gameplay, it still has some good juice left (just look at LittleBigPlanet's 3-plane 2D gameplay with 3-D graphics). Another thing is if major developers are willing to use 2-D gameplay in a significant portion of the games to come, and I consider that they aren't willing enough to do so.

If we consider complete 2-D games, one of the advantages thatit brings is the part of lower development costs. Any good draughtsperson would be able to use cel-shading, pixel images, or even pictures in order to create backgrounds, objects & characters! Based on this, I consider 2-D games a pretty viable alternative for smaller &/or independent developers to make their games.

Overall, I would say 2-D games will be with us for a long time, but won't steal the spotlight 3-D gaming acquired in the 5th gen.

DragonxanderPR

When I say "2D", I am referring to the graphics and gameplay parts of 2D. Sorry I didn't point that out earlier, lol. Thanks for letting me know though ^.^

Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts
They're around, but they really should make a big comeback. I find myself playing more 2D games than the 3D ones, mostly because of my DS. It's so easy to catch up with gaming on the train when I'm not busy with University.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
Making high def 2D games is unfortunately too cost prohibitive.
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
yeah 2d should rise again since street fighter isnt fit for 3d
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
2D definitely needs to come back. 2D can do some things better than 3D like how there isn't a single 3D game with better level design than Sonic The Hedgehog 2. And we all know that some genres haven't done so great in 2D such as Platformers and especially Beat Em Ups. Beat Em Ups are dead because almost none of them are good in 2D. The only 3D Beat Em Ups I like are Fighting Force, Gekido, Die Hard Arcade and The Warriors. The only way we can revive the 2D genre is if we all make 2D games together. heh A few dozen of us would actually make/program the game while the thousands of less talented ones would do the game testing heh heh
gavcooper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gavcooper23
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

there will ALWAYS be a place for 2D, always...

more does not always = better

Megaship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Megaship
Member since 2008 • 108 Posts
Well I'm not exactly a big fan of 2D but I've seen lots of new 2D games as downloadables in places like Wii ware or portable consoles like the PSP or the DS. Megaman was a good example when Megaman 9 came out.
Avatar image for jamacian_zombie
jamacian_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jamacian_zombie
Member since 2008 • 310 Posts
I'd let it die. I'd rather go forward then backwards.
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts
2D is up to the devs. If you want more 2d games, you could make them yourself
_OneLeafTree_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _OneLeafTree_
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
All my fondest gaming memories were in 2D. If done right, 2D can be every bit as enjoyable as 3D.
I seriously doubt that 2D will ever die... There is some experiences that can only be had in 2D games.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Because of XBL Arcade, VC, and PSN, 2D is here to stay. It may not get the attention as a big-budgeted game, with the exception of VanillaWare, but other than that, the downloadable place is perfect for 2D games. But if you mean you wish some of our favorite clas-sics should be made in next-gen consoles as 2D games, than yeah, I agree. It'd never happen, but it'd be cool.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

2D never died. It's just that mainstream gamers stopped paying attention to it. Year in and year out, some of my favourite games were 2D.

A comeback of 2D to the mainstream would be pretty interesting though. (As long as you newbs don't ruin shmups and 2D fighters).

Viktormon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Viktormon
Member since 2009 • 481 Posts

I personally acually prefer 3D games.

I don't know why, I just do.

But there's some games I love that are in 2D, like the Pokémon games. Pure love for them, and I hope they won't go totally 3D on them.

And there's a special charm to full 2D fighting games....

That's all I have to say.

Neoreign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Neoreign
Yeah I know that there are a nice amount of good 2D games on XBL, ect. But I want 2D to be more of a mainstream thing.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
My belief is that 2D won't die. It will simply survive on a different market, namely handhelds. If we're talking about 2D gameplay (side scrollers and the like), well Street Fighter 4 is about to prove that it's still popular.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Braid? Odin Sphere? Crayon Physics? World of Goo? Mega Man 9? N+?

2D is on its way back already. I just wish they would do more with the 360 and PS3. Some hyper-detailed 2D graphics in HD at 60fps would be face-melting.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#22 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
2D definitely needs to come back. 2D can do some things better than 3D like how there isn't a single 3D game with better level design than Sonic The Hedgehog 2. And we all know that some genres haven't done so great in 2D such as Platformers and especially Beat Em Ups. Beat Em Ups are dead because almost none of them are good in 2D. The only 3D Beat Em Ups I like are Fighting Force, Gekido, Die Hard Arcade and The Warriors. The only way we can revive the 2D genre is if we all make 2D games together. heh A few dozen of us would actually make/program the game while the thousands of less talented ones would do the game testing heh hehgunswordfist
I agree that 2D makes a few genres better than 3D does but Beat Em Ups died because the gameplay is pretty stale, same with Shoot Em Ups. There's not a single 2D Beat Em Up that is better than The Warriors unless nostalgia means more than quality. A lot of 2D genres died because there's very little you can do to evolve the game. I would love to see some remakes of 2D games but they will never become more popular than 3D games anymore.
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I am a big fan of 2D. I have notice that it's pretty much deceased as the next generation of games and systems enter the gaming industry, but I must say that I morn it's departure and wish for its triumphant return in the future. I know that as far as it's technical abilities when compared to 3D is concerned, it's beaten in about every aspect (except in memory and time consumption), but I believe there are some redeeming factors to making games in 2D.

First, if for nothing at all, I think the pure artistic aspect of 2D should keep it alive. Some 2D games just look amazing and help immerse the player into the world that they're engaged in. Games like "Odin Sphere" and "Valkyries Profile" are proof of this claim. The way the story is told and the world it involves is heighten by the fact that the world and its characters are in 2D. I think that if those games were created in a 3D world, they wouldn't be nearly as engrossing as they were. An example of this is within "Valkyries Profile 2: Silmeria". Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it just wasn't as immersive as the first "Valkyries Profile". I believe that it is because the first game was in 2D, and because the same story (told in a different part of time mind you) was in 3D, it didn't feel right. But, had they've done the game in 2D, I think it would have been a better game then it was.

Another reason we should keep 2D alive is that I don't think we have explored the gameplay possibilities that 2D could posses. Even though it is an old technology, I don't think we should just discard something that could break the monotonous flow of copy-cat game mechanics that we are slowly diving into. To be honest, I haven't really given any thought to the new way's that 2D could evolve a video games gameplay yet, but I am hoping that some individuals that read this can put their thoughts to what could be created.

And lastly, Some of our favorite games that were 2D hits, do not cross over well from 2D, even though they are still spectacular games and characters *cough sonic cough*. Please tell me what you think about 2D's current situation, and what can be done to resurrect it. Or you can tell me if you think 2D time is up and there is no hope for it.

Neoreign

2D is still going strong on Nintendo's DS portable. But if you are asking if there should be more 2D games on the home systems, I would wholeheartily agree on that. I believe that 3D came on the scene too soon and that the 2D potential was not yet used up. The resession we are experiencing might be a good thing because 2D games cost a lot less to produce than 3D ones.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I agree with most in saying 2D is already back. I don't even care if it is 2D sprites, just 2D playing surfaces with 3D models is fine in my book. Anyone here checked out R-Type Dimensions? Other than the crappy music, this is how 2D shooters should be done. On the fly 3D to 2D sprite changing, amazing 3D graphics and even a 'crazy' (their term) 30% angle to the 2D... I would love to see more 2D shooters redone in such a way. I would have to say Braid, World of Goo, Chalk, among many others are all awesome to play. Some of my favorite games on the X360 are the 'cheap' 2D ones.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
Too be honest if a game was only text and fun, id play it. I really think companies out there need to stop worrying so much about Crysis like graphics, and focus on content and fun. I can understand how gamers would complain about this, but considering how well sales of some DLC content thats 2d, i think it should show the developers, that subpar graphics aren't always a bad thing. Ever notice that alot of new games are super short? Cause of all the times it takes to do the graphics work. Think about how long a game could be if was pure 2d?
Epitaph_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epitaph_User
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Personally, I find 2D games more fun than most recent 3D games! People like them because they usually have more action and less "strategy time", as to say you don't have to stop and review your steps or think about what to do next. 3D is more realistic and gamers have to deal with the realism of thinking before dying, like avoiding certain enemies and or find a clue in an enormous world around you.

In 2D, usually the character moves straight forward smashing anything that crosses our way. Associate that with the adenalin of the moment and you spend a few hours of fun, as games should be. Not to mention the controls problem that several times drain your patience way:evil:

Of course, it depends on the gamer perspective and the expectation towards a game, but I guess the "fun" part of 2D games doesn't let anyone down.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="gunswordfist"]I say Super Double Dragon is as good as The Warriors. The Warriors didn't really have that much replay value. I took it back after I was done with it. Anyway, Beat Em Ups basically did die because they didn't really evolve. It's not the gameplay mechanics I'm blaming, it's the fact that they didn't translate well into 3D (which I already discussed) If devs knew how to make more good 3D beat em ups, then I say the genre wouldn't have died. Since consumers wanted 3d games more than anything, the 2d beu slowly became out of favor. [QUOTE="Jemdude"][QUOTE="Neoreign"]

2D is still going strong on Nintendo's DS portable. But if you are asking if there should be more 2D games on the home systems, I would wholeheartily agree on that. I believe that 3D came on the scene too soon and that the 2D potential was not yet used up. The resession we are experiencing might be a good thing because 2D games cost a lot less to produce than 3D ones.

Yeah, when most 3D games came out, they had a far way to go to be good as 2d games which have been improving so much for years. That's part of the reason why so many of us consider the SNES/Genesis generation to be the best.
I agree with most in saying 2D is already back. I don't even care if it is 2D sprites, just 2D playing surfaces with 3D models is fine in my book. Anyone here checked out R-Type Dimensions? Other than the crappy music, this is how 2D shooters should be done. On the fly 3D to 2D sprite changing, amazing 3D graphics and even a 'crazy' (their term) 30% angle to the 2D... I would love to see more 2D shooters redone in such a way. I would have to say Braid, World of Goo, Chalk, among many others are all awesome to play. Some of my favorite games on the X360 are the 'cheap' 2D ones.raahsnavj
I ironically tried to download the R-Type Dimensions demo yesterday. (ran out of time) I love a lot of XBLA's 2d games. I just played Castlevania Symphony Of The Night for the first time (well it was a demo and yes I know I'm late) a few days ago. I also got to play the Alien Hominid HD demo again and Castle Crashers for the first time. I wouldn't mind buying CC at all. Easily this decade's best 2d hack n slash.
Gsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Gsig
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts
I am one of those who considers the snes as the greatest console of all time. Although i think that the graphics nowa days are reaching the peak 2d standard gameplay has gone the opposite and is now down way way below what the snes could deliver
FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts
ive always prefered 2d style of gameplay vs 3d. give me a 2d game with killer sprites and high definition backgrounds and ill be a happy camper. like i would play metal slug over CoD, street fighter 3 over soul caliber/tekken, and aero fighters/ raiden project/ gradius over ace combat anyday cuz even though they may look more simplistic, theyr still hella challenging and its acually more fun.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gunswordfist
ive always prefered 2d style of gameplay vs 3d. give me a 2d game with killer sprites and high definition backgrounds and ill be a happy camper. like i would play metal slug over CoD, street fighter 3 over soul caliber/tekken, and aero fighters/ raiden project/ gradius over ace combat anyday cuz even though they may look more simplistic, theyr still hella challenging and its acually more fun.FreshDimSum
2d is definitely better for some genres of games.
LOSTLEAD3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LOSTLEAD3R
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts

IMO 2D will always look better then 3D

3D just seems like a fake copy, while 2D is orginal, sure 3D may be more real but 2D has that escapist sense that games need

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="LOSTLEAD3R"]

IMO 2D will always look better then 3D

3D just seems like a fake copy, while 2D is orginal, sure 3D may be more real but 2D has that escapist sense that games need

I don't know about that. 3D can be very beautiful and immersive. The Hulk is still the most immersive game I've ever played. It's the only game where I actually felt like the main character.