Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

I figured it out.

See 64 wins with its 1st party support especially from Nintendo and mainly from Rare games.

GCN wins with is way much better 3rd party support but it didnt have much 1st party support from Nintendo/Retro.

3rd party is a must for me because with the GCN we got PoP series, 007s, Enter the Matrix, SSX, RE4, Fight Night 2, NBA Street 2 and 3, Tomb Raider Legend, Star Wars games(especially my favorite Jedi Knight Outcast 2) and many more.  While it provided some neat 1st party games such as Twilight Princess, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Melee.

This is where the GCN outshines the 64 in my opinion, it had better 3rd party support. I can only play so many 1st party games and the 64 bored me with just adventure games and tedious item finding and the 1st person shooters while awesome didnt really hold me over through droughts. GCN had more variety and it the GCN was 64-like and hard for 3rd party devs to develop games for it then it would not be justifiable to get one.

Now please Nintendo fans, dont say but the 3rd parties suck and only Nintendo made games is where it at.

shroomario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 shroomario
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts
I dis agree with you
CLeRKSfan4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 CLeRKSfan4life
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts
I prefer the N64 over the Gamecube. GC's is a great console but there's some awesome games on the N64. Goldeneye, Duke Nukem 64, Rush Extreme Racing, Body Harvest, WCW and WWF games and lots more.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
I dis agree i do belive that the N64 and the Gamecube were nintendos worst consoles (but both are still great consoles) N64 was 100x better i mean GC didn't have enough great memorys the N64 gave me with games like GoldenEye, Perfect dark, Star fox 64, and Banjo-Kozzie.  The only game that i really have great memorable memorys with on the cube is RE4
bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts
yea Im gonna have to say N64 was better...definetely more memorable
da_real_deal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 da_real_deal
Member since 2006 • 2182 Posts
I dis agree i do belive that the N64 and the Gamecube were nintendos worst consoles (but both are still great consoles) N64 was 100x better i mean GC didn't have enough great memorys the N64 gave me with games like GoldenEye, Perfect dark, Star fox 64, and Banjo-Kozzie.  The only game that i really have great memorable memorys with on the cube is RE4StarFoxCOM
yep...but i for one liked the gc more than n64, hmm (overall snes was best imho)
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StarFoxCOM

GCN wins with is way much better 3rd party support but it didnt have much 1st party support from Nintendo/Retro.

3rd party is a must for me because with the GCN we got PoP series, 007s, Enter the Matrix, SSX, RE4, Fight Night 2, NBA Street 2 and 3, Tomb Raider Legend, Star Wars games(especially my favorite Jedi Knight Outcast 2) and many more.  While it provided some neat 1st party games such as Twilight Princess, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Melee.Ninten007

Okay a couple things. Back in the N64 and PSone days 3rd party support was way less important.

2cd of all Gamecube still had weak 3rd party support just look at PS2 and x-box with 2k games and sports and Lucas Arts and several other companys that didn't help Nintendo alot. Also sense Gamecube didn't have online i would much rather buy a PS2 Multi-plat game with online than the same game on Gamecube with out online

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ninten007

Yea the 64s more memorable. This was only because we were kids at that time surprised that 3-D graphics, analog movements, and FPS were able to work on it. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy Nintendo games but I gotta have 3rd party games filling in the gap between Mario 64 to Goldeneye to Banjo to Ocarnia, etc. If 64 had more and better 3rd party games filling up those gaps it would been much better to me.

I can only play a handful of first party games, but once in a while I would like to try something different from other developers. With Cube you got a heck of a lot more than with the 64, I mean I can only play Sunshine and Pikmin so long and it is nice to have PoP, Enter the Matrix, RE4  to fill up the void that first party games cant.

Thus in my opinion the Cube had better support than the 64 due to its easy development process, but the 64 was a heck of a lot more memorable and had more great 1st party games, which most came from Rare.

I refuse to be blinded by my childhood obsession with Nintendo and 3rd party Cube support beats anything 3rd party on the 64. 

Yes I know the Cube had worse 3rd party support than PS2 and Xbox, but thats not the case. I am comparing the 3rd party support of the 64 and how it got a heck of a lot better with GCN with its dev-friendly hardware as opposed to the nightmare console to develop for the 64.

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts
yep...but i for one liked the gc more than n64, hmm (overall snes was best imho)

damn right SNES was definetely the best and still is
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ninten007
Also in my opinion the games from the PS1 and 64 have aged terribly. Now I can notice headache inducing framerates, bad textures, pop ups, fogging, etc. I just cant sit down and play my 64 anymore. It is easy to go back to NES and SNES games because it provided bright 2-D with clear graphics. Also the GCN plays and looks just fine even though next-gen gaming is here.
smarskite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 smarskite
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts
GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
Avatar image for GoldenSilence87
GoldenSilence87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 GoldenSilence87
Member since 2004 • 1047 Posts
GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
smarskite
The N64 won hands down. If the GC had a game like Perfect Dark or Conkers Bad Fur Day I bet it would have sold an additional 100,000 systems.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StarFoxCOM
[QUOTE="smarskite"]GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
GoldenSilence87
The N64 won hands down. If the GC had a game like Perfect Dark or Conkers Bad Fur Day I bet it would have sold an additional 100,000 systems.

Way more than and additonal Hundered thousound more like a addational 10 million
smarskite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smarskite
[QUOTE="smarskite"]GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
GoldenSilence87

Why did you quote me?
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StarFoxCOM
[QUOTE="GoldenSilence87"][QUOTE="smarskite"]GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
smarskite

Why did you quote me?

To oppose your Opintion
akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts
You can't look and compare 2 systems from two different time periods. You have to look at the system at that time compared to what was actually out. The N64 was a good system at that time compared to their counterparts. The Cube was a bomb compread to what was out thier in the market. The Cube didn't advance the way it should of and it seems like they though, "Hey, were Nintendo and we will be fine no matter what." I enjoyed the Cube to this day, but in if you look at the big picture it wasn't even in the conversation. 
smarskite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smarskite
[QUOTE="smarskite"][QUOTE="GoldenSilence87"][QUOTE="smarskite"]GC had Metroid, which makes it a clear winner for me. However, N64 had a much better Mario title and Majora's Mask is hands down my favorite Zelda game, OOT being a close second. So GC gets a very narrow victory.
StarFoxCOM

Why did you quote me?

To oppose your Opintion

Oh, well in that case, I find it hard to believe that Conker's and Perfect Dark are what sold the N64. They came
a little late in that console's life to have a lot of bearing on the sales, and besides, they just aren't that well known compared a lot of other games on the N64. They are great, quality titles no doubt, but I really find it hard to believe they were big system sellers for that particular machine. I think by the time they came out people had already decided whether or not they going to buy an N64.

I can see most people picking the N64 over the GC, but I was personally very disapointed by the lack of Metroid on that console, and Metroid Prime was a dream come true for me.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StarFoxCOM
You can't look and compare 2 systems from two different time periods. You have to look at the system at that time compared to what was actually out. The N64 was a good system at that time compared to their counterparts. The Cube was a bomb compread to what was out thier in the market. The Cube didn't advance the way it should of and it seems like they though, "Hey, were Nintendo and we will be fine no matter what." I enjoyed the Cube to this day, but in if you look at the big picture it wasn't even in the conversation. akuya32
I kind of see what you mean the cube didn't advance enough it didn't advance with the online gaming on console era 
Er0KMarioMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 Er0KMarioMan
Member since 2005 • 438 Posts

Well, most of the Cube's best games were just sequels to N64 games IMO. N64 wins simply because it had memorable experiences and games that blew us away, such as Zelda and Mario. Gamecube had nothing new, it was just an upgrade with zero 3rd party support. I don't know why your saying it had good 3rd party support, there was absolutely nada.

diangelogrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 diangelogrey
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts
Although I spent many hours playing the n64 with such games as Pilot Wings, Zelda and Wrestling, I think I prefer the Gamecube.  Games such as Zelda, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Resident Evils and Metal Gear Solid just made it awesome for me.  I miss Rare games like conkers and perfect dark but I think there are plenty of awesome titles on the cube that overshadow them that im still yet to get and enjoy. 
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I'm not fussed which is better because I loved them both.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 0161
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts
i thought the gamecube was better cos it was sleek, small, had more and better games. you coluld think of the cube as a 64 but with better graphics games and had better 3rd support like for a start the cube had regular updates of FIFA.
Avatar image for raditz_the_dude
raditz_the_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raditz_the_dude
Member since 2006 • 127 Posts
You know, this is a tough issue. The GameCube was a big step for Nintendo that ultimately saved their position in the console business. The Nintendo 64 is considered one of the most successful flops in history, due to what it did to the industry. If I had to choose one, I'd have to consider one big factor: software.

I loathe the N64 for not delivering on what it promised throughout its lifespan (It's not fun to see all your upcoming N64 games switch to the PlayStation or get cancelled.). In the end, though, the software does make the machine, and the N64 seems to have more to offer than the GameCube. Here are a quick list of the Exclusives that stand out to me:

The Nintendo 64 had Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark, the Banjo series, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, and Super Smash Bros. (I consider Yoshi's Story one of the console's worst releases and biggest let-downs.)

The GameCube has Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Resident Evil Remake and Zero, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, but nothing else comes to mind. (I consider Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker to be general let-downs, as well. Not nearly as bad as Yoshi's Story, but not particularly purchase-worthy games, either.) The GameCube seems to have half the games the N64 has.

This is how I see it. Try not to get too mad - I'm trying to be objective here. :-P
bradglimpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bradglimpse
Member since 2003 • 838 Posts
yea Im gonna have to say N64 was better...definetely more memorablebitemeslippy
Yeah I gotta agree with that
CFH90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CFH90
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

The N64 had far more memorable moments for me, and more games that simply grabbed me and wouldn't let go. The only game that did that for me on the cube was Metroid Prime. But the 64...

• Ocarina of Time
  • Perfect Dark
  • Goldeneye
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Rogue Squadron
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • Vigilante 8
  • Episode 1 Racer (BEST racer I've ever played)

And so many more. That console was absolute magic and I couldn't care less how unsuccessful it was. That was an incredible system.

ElSteban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 ElSteban
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

The N64 had far more memorable moments for me, and more games that simply grabbed me and wouldn't let go. The only game that did that for me on the cube was Metroid Prime. But the 64...

• Ocarina of Time
  • Perfect Dark
  • Goldeneye
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Rogue Squadron
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • Vigilante 8
  • Episode 1 Racer (BEST racer I've ever played)

And so many more. That console was absolute magic and I couldn't care less how unsuccessful it was. That was an incredible system.

CFH90

Amen

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
Other than Wind Waker, PoP Sands of Time, and RE4, the cube holds almost no memorable moments (no, not even Prime, which didn't interest me). N64 was a real revolution in gaming, so many games were real experiences.
LordelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LordelX
Member since 2004 • 1376 Posts

Also in my opinion the games from the PS1 and 64 have aged terribly. Now I can notice headache inducing framerates, bad textures, pop ups, fogging, etc. I just cant sit down and play my 64 anymore. It is easy to go back to NES and SNES games because it provided bright 2-D with clear graphics. Also the GCN plays and looks just fine even though next-gen gaming is here.Ninten007

I couldn't agree more. Other than Nintendo's first party offerings, the N64 releases were mostly garbage. Rare is completely overrated....Blast Corps and Goldeneye 007 were great games and that's about it. Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 were better when it was called Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing was better when it was called Mariokart 64 and Perfect Dark, while technically ambitious, is completely unplayable by today's standards. Conker was absolute trash, about as mature a game as a 10 year old quoting Animal House dialogue. Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct Gold were not particularily good memories.

The N64 has 4 major games in it's favour as far as revolutions go: Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007 and Starfox 64. Let's even consider the argument that Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Twlight Princess, Starfox Adventures and Starfox Assult are substantially lesser games ( a stance I don't agree with at all ). The Gamecube had more revolutionary games, and more often: Metriod Prime, REmake, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness Animal Crossing and Pikmin. Even many franchises vastly improved on Gamecube: Rogue Squadron 2, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Waverace: Blue Storm and Paper Mario...all much much better on Gamecube.

Third Party support on the N64? Yeah, 50 other "me too" shooters ( Turok, Duke Nukem',Quake, Doom, Hexen ) and terrible fighters ( Mace, MK: Trilogy, War Gods, Dark Rift, Fighter's Destiny ) don't hold a candle to the Gamecube's Timesplitter's, Soul Caliber 2. The N64 didn't get quality third party titles like Prince of Persia, Hitman 2, Freedom Fighters, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Killer 7, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe or hardly any of the EA sports titles. Where were the RPG's for the 64? Quest 64, Ogre Battle 64 and Aidyn Chronicles don't come anywhere near the quality of Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Fire Emblem and Phantasy Star Online. Two of the N64's best games, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are available for Gamecube with better visuals.

Only someone looking at the past through rose-colored glasses could say the N64 was a better time than Gamecube. Even though many of you started gaming on the N64, that's not reason enough to overlook all of it's glaring flaws...unless you had no idea what you were missing. While you guys were playing Conker, I had already moved on to Dreamcast. The N64 was Nintendo's worst system, hands down. **** the N64. I'm glad it's dead.

CFH90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CFH90
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]Also in my opinion the games from the PS1 and 64 have aged terribly. Now I can notice headache inducing framerates, bad textures, pop ups, fogging, etc. I just cant sit down and play my 64 anymore. It is easy to go back to NES and SNES games because it provided bright 2-D with clear graphics. Also the GCN plays and looks just fine even though next-gen gaming is here.LordelX

I couldn't agree more. Other than Nintendo's first party offerings, the N64 releases were mostly garbage. Rare is completely overrated....Blast Corps and Goldeneye 007 were great games and that's about it. Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 were better when it was called Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing was better when it was called Mariokart 64 and Perfect Dark, while technically ambitious, is completely unplayable by today's standards. Conker was absolute trash, about as mature a game as a 10 year old quoting Animal House dialogue. Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct Gold were not particularily good memories.

The N64 has 4 major games in it's favour as far as revolutions go: Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007 and Starfox 64. Let's even consider the argument that Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Twlight Princess, Starfox Adventures and Starfox Assult are substantially lesser games ( a stance I don't agree with at all ). The Gamecube had more revolutionary games, and more often: Metriod Prime, REmake, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness Animal Crossing and Pikmin. Even many franchises vastly improved on Gamecube: Rogue Squadron 2, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Waverace: Blue Storm and Paper Mario...all much much better on Gamecube.

Third Party support on the N64? Yeah, 50 other "me too" shooters ( Turok, Duke Nukem',Quake, Doom, Hexen ) and terrible fighters ( Mace, MK: Trilogy, War Gods, Dark Rift, Fighter's Destiny ) don't hold a candle to the Gamecube's Timesplitter's, Soul Caliber 2. The N64 didn't get quality third party titles like Prince of Persia, Hitman 2, Freedom Fighters, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Killer 7, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe or hardly any of the EA sports titles. Where were the RPG's for the 64? Quest 64, Ogre Battle 64 and Aidyn Chronicles don't come anywhere near the quality of Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Fire Emblem and Phantasy Star Online. Two of the N64's best games, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are available for Gamecube with better visuals.

Only someone looking at the past through rose-colored glasses could say the N64 was a better time than Gamecube. Even though many of you started gaming on the N64, that's not reason enough to overlook all of it's glaring flaws...unless you had no idea what you were missing. While you guys were playing Conker, I had already moved on to Dreamcast. The N64 was Nintendo's worst system, hands down. **** the N64. I'm glad it's dead.

This is yet another example on this forum of people who think their opinion should override everyone else's. I'm sorry but you simply cannot come in here and start telling people who loved the N64 that they shouldn't have. The flaws that you have pointed out are only evident by TODAY'S standards, which is not a valid arguement because the console wasn't made for the here and now.

The games that you have dismissed as 'not particularly memorable' are some of the most nostalgic and memorable games to the people here. I would take Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Rogue Squadron any day over Wind Waker, any of the GC Star Fox titles and Rebel Strike. In the end, I got a lot more kick out of the 64 than I did with the cube. I'm not trying to say that you SHOULD have, I'm trying to get it across that it is perfectly possible for people to have had a better time on the N64's 'inferior hardware' than on the cube.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ninten007

It is all opinion based. If you love Nintendo/Rare games you will say 64, but if you like more 3rd party and variety you will say GC. I just prefer the GC because it offered a lot more than the 64, which has absolute trashy 3rd party games mainly because the system was too hard to develop for.

With the GC, I got F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Prince of Persia series, NBA Streets, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, 007 games, Fight Night, Metroid Primes, Twilight Princess, better sports games, Eternal Darkness, a better version of Smash Bros., a Star Wars game where you can use lightsabers(Jedi Knight Outcast 2), better Star Wars flying sims, Need for Speed series, Twin Snakes, better fighting games, Fire Emblem, and many more if you Nintendo fans would seek out third party games.  I know Nintendo fans usually regard 3rd party games crap, but it is a must if a console is gonna live.

See the GC had more variety. All the 64 had IMO was great first party games that were very similar to each other. Considering how hard it is for me to go back and play it, the 64 has dropped down because it is virtually unplayable with awful framerates. Most of the 64 games had Mario 64-esque adventures, which were good but at times I wanted to play some RPGs, stealth games, better racing games, etc. I have to have variety and I cant keep sticking to first-party games all the time.

Also once GC came out I was impressed with the clear visuals and it was difficult go go back to the aging 64, but I still could go back to SNES and NES no problem. Now next-gen it here and it is still accesible to play GC games without squinting and getting headaches from those torn-up framerates.

Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
i have a lot of memories with the n64 the games were great on the cube but I didn't have any memorable moments like i did with the n64
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts
I think the cube is better, but the N64 has also very good games.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

The NGC is hands down my all-time favorite system.

I rate the N64 as one of the worst consoles of all time, at least in terms of my personal tastes. My genre preferences for games are Survival Horror and Role Playing, which are the two genres the N64 completely ignored. 

Besides, if you've got an NGC and GBA Player attachment, you have access to most of the NES, SNES and N64's best games anyways.

supersonic49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 supersonic49
Member since 2007 • 3129 Posts

I figured it out.

See 64 wins with its 1st party support especially from Nintendo and mainly from Rare games.

3rd party is a must for me because with the GCN we got PoP series, 007s, Enter the Matrix, SSX, RE4, Fight Night 2, NBA Street 2 and 3, Tomb Raider Legend, Star Wars games(especially my favorite Jedi Knight Outcast 2) and many more.  While it provided some neat 1st party games such as Twilight Princess, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Melee.

This is where the GCN outshines the 64 in my opinion, it had better 3rd party support. I can only play so many 1st party games and the 64 bored me with just adventure games and tedious item finding and the 1st person shooters while awesome didnt really hold me over through droughts. GCN had more variety and it the GCN was 64-like and hard for 3rd party devs to develop games for it then it would not be justifiable to get one.

Now please Nintendo fans, dont say but the 3rd parties suck and only Nintendo made games is where it at.

Ninten007

I never had a N64, so I don't know.

Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
Nintendo 64ever.
LordelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordelX
Member since 2004 • 1376 Posts
[QUOTE="LordelX"]

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]Also in my opinion the games from the PS1 and 64 have aged terribly. Now I can notice headache inducing framerates, bad textures, pop ups, fogging, etc. I just cant sit down and play my 64 anymore. It is easy to go back to NES and SNES games because it provided bright 2-D with clear graphics. Also the GCN plays and looks just fine even though next-gen gaming is here.CFH90

This is yet another example on this forum of people who think their opinion should override everyone else's. I'm sorry but you simply cannot come in here and start telling people who loved the N64 that they shouldn't have. The flaws that you have pointed out are only evident by TODAY'S standards, which is not a valid arguement because the console wasn't made for the here and now.

The games that you have dismissed as 'not particularly memorable' are some of the most nostalgic and memorable games to the people here. I would take Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Rogue Squadron any day over Wind Waker, any of the GC Star Fox titles and Rebel Strike. In the end, I got a lot more kick out of the 64 than I did with the cube. I'm not trying to say that you SHOULD have, I'm trying to get it across that it is perfectly possible for people to have had a better time on the N64's 'inferior hardware' than on the cube.

Fair enough viewpoint. I don't think people should accept my opinion as fact. I'm not judging the N64 against today's standards, I'm judging them by the standards set by the NES and SNES. In this respect, the Gamecube is much closer than the N64. Yet too many people seem to think that the era of the N64 was a gaming moment of greatness, and that simply isn't true, considering the problems the N64 had. The problems with the cartridge format, limited sizes for games, poor audio quality, poor third party support and a serious lack of quality of third party games, a limited library of 3D platformers and FPS, specific genre design of the controller and the expansion pack were all more or less solved with the Gamecube. The Gamecube offers a better gaming experience for its time than the N64 did for its time. If you enjoyed the N64 more, that's your business.

If someone who had enjoyed Atari's Jaguar system more than the current generation, you would simply write that person off as having substantially less gaming experience than you, or poor knowledge and exposure to console games. Don't be hypocritical. Good for the N64, that alot of people were able to enjoy it, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Nintendo's lowest point ever.

Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
I think that the N64 is way better than the Cube because it had more high-calibur titles.
King_Of_Spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 King_Of_Spam
Member since 2006 • 1263 Posts
I liked the cube better because Baten Kaitos was on it :D
manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 manic111
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts
I think we ought to give it a few years before deciding. When the N64 died, I didnt think that I would ever miss games like Banjo, Jet Force Gemini, Pilotwings-good games, but nothing special. Now, though, I pine for them! Likewise, with the Cube, I dont think I will miss games like Eternal Darkness or Beyond Good and Evil. Yet Im sure that in a few years that will be the case.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#40 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
Both are great systems, and I agree with you N64 had amazing first and second-party games, but the NGC had more third-parties support. I think the GC also has present a biggest array of games, you can get some good RPGs and Fighting games, the N64 unfortunately didn't have great titles of those genres.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#41 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Gamecube clearly beats the 64 for me. Better 3rd party support and sequels that were more fun to me to some of the first party games of the 64(although I liked the original Super Smash Brothers more than Melee)
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
Good for the N64, that alot of people were able to enjoy it, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Nintendo's lowest point ever.LordelX

Sounds like somebody never played a Virtual Boy...

FPSjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FPSjohn
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts
Are you kidding me??? N64 all the way. There is just too many good games for that system and all of you know it.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheKungFool

"N64 all the way. There is just too many good games for that system and all of you know it."

I completely disagree with that. I honestly felt that the N64 had by leaps and bounds the weakest game line-up of an Nintendo system, and probably one of the worst game line-ups of all time. Seriously, I could count all the N64 games I loved on one hand:

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  2. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  3. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  4. Resident Evil 2

And thats about it for me.  "Perfect Dark" and "GoldenEye" remains rediculously over-rated to this day, "Majora's Mask" remains my least favorite Zelda title.  

The other factor is my preferences in games.  I mostly play survival horror and role players, which the N64 practically ignored. 

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Well, most of the Cube's best games were just sequels to N64 games IMO. N64 wins simply because it had memorable experiences and games that blew us away, such as Zelda and Mario. Gamecube had nothing new, it was just an upgrade with zero 3rd party support. I don't know why your saying it had good 3rd party support, there was absolutely nada.

Er0KMarioMan

GC has the Metroid Prime games and RE4, IMO they are as memorable as anything on the N64.

I just don't think N64 can stand up to these 20:

• Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
  • Resident Evil 4
  • LoZ: WindWaker
  • LoZ: Twilight Princess
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
  • Pikmin 2
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • PoP: Sands of Time
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • Ikaruga
  • Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
  • Tomb Raider: Legend
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Tales of Symphonia
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheKungFool

AFBrat77

GC has the Metroid Prime games and RE4, IMO they are as memorable as anything on the N64.

I just don't think N64 can stand up to these 20:

• Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
  • Resident Evil 4
  • LoZ: WindWaker
  • LoZ: Twilight Princess
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
  • Pikmin 2
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • PoP: Sands of Time
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • Ikaruga
  • Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
  • Tomb Raider: Legend
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Tales of Symphonia

And to your list I'd personally add:

1. Resident Evil Zero
  2. Zelda Collectors Edition (zelda, zeldaII, ocarina, majora)
  3. Baten Kaitos Origins
  4. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II & III
  5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  6. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
  7. MegaMan and MegaManX Collections

And if you've got the GBA Player:

1. Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VI
  2. Zelda: Link to the Past & The Minish Cap
  3. Metroid Fusion & Zero Mission
  4. Lunar Legend

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

^ Yes, I had completely forgotten to add these 2 from your list:

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2

...and yes, as noted by the last post, Zelda Collectors Edition gives you the opportunity to play the 2 N64 Zelda games as well

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

I figured it out.

3rd party is a must for me because with the GCN we got PoP series, 007s, Enter the Matrix, SSX, RE4, Fight Night 2, NBA Street 2 and 3, Tomb Raider Legend, Star Wars games(especially my favorite Jedi Knight Outcast 2) and many more. While it provided some neat 1st party games such as Twilight Princess, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Melee.

Ninten007
Retro never made a game on the Nintendo64 buddy...Its first project was Metroid Prime and what an awesome game that turned out to be.
FireEmblem24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FireEmblem24
Member since 2007 • 1097 Posts
Its good that the wii will have amazing 1st and 3rd party support. 
Avatar image for ThisisMurderous
ThisisMurderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 ThisisMurderous
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts
I liked N64 a lot more.