jaycromer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 jaycromer12
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

Hi. I wanrt to start by assuring every reader that this isn't a flame war post of any kind. I skipped over the Gamecube, never owned one, but now I have a Wii. I just finished playing the heck out of Mario galaxy and loved every second of it. I've downloaded Mario 64 and think its okay, the controls are a little loose for my taste...though being like 15 years old makes that understandable.

My question is should I pick up Mario Sunshine. It gets a bad rap from lots of people, but I think it looks neat. I ask because my funds are very limited. Even the $25 for the older GC game is a lot right now, but thats money I saved exclusively for a new game to play. Mario galaxy was a christmas present. Is getting Sunshine a good idea?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Sunshine is a good game but your money could be best spent elsewhere, such as on Zack & Wiki.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I say DEFINITLY try Sunshine. It's not as good as SMG, but it WILL keep you entertained!

Where it fails, IMO, is that if you want to just beat it quickly, its easy. If you want to complete the dang thing by getting all the blue coins, all stars, and red coinsand not cheat...its WAY too brutal!

There are 120 blue coins I think, many hidden. And there is ZERO implication which world has them or which board. So if you are missing some, you pretty much have to visit EVERY board on EVERY world and search everwhere.

And sometimes you they are not simply 'hidden'. Sometimes you may have to spray a wall in a weird place or common place and 'viola!' you found one.

If it just told you that this level has a coin you haven't found, I'd be cool with that. But I cannot imagine anyone dedicated enough to search every board on every world and try everthing in hopes to get a coin.

And this game kicks your butt! Some of those Red Coin boards are TOUGH! However, the final boss is EASY. And there was a frame rate drops on it, unusual for a Nintendo made GC game.

I'd pay no more than $12 for it personally. But you will have fun!

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#4 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It is a very good game but Galaxy and Mario 64 are better but Mario Sunshine is worth a look.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Mario Sunshine is an alright game. Its hard though...really really hard! Like galaxy has its hard moments, but just about every time you entered a level in Sunshine; you more or less had to walk around aimlessly and connect the very weak string of clues together to be able to get to wherever you were going or beat whoever...I think I got to like 30 stars and quit.
Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

Buy it!

It gets bad reputation because it's based on same vocation theme which means you won't find SMG's or Mario 64's variety here yet it's still an awesome platformer and a fitting Mario game to me.

SolidSnake1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidSnake1125
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
ehh i would get eternal darkness for cheap, instead of sms
Zoob_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Zoob_man
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
I didnt like it sold it after a week.
Clamwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Clamwich
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts
Its... kinda fun. But not fun enough. I traded it for Zelda: Collectors Edition
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts

I say DEFINITLY try Sunshine. It's not as good as SMG, but it WILL keep you entertained!

Where it fails, IMO, is that if you want to just beat it quickly, its easy. If you want to complete the dang thing by getting all the blue coins, all stars, and red coinsand not cheat...its WAY too brutal!

There are 120 blue coins I think, many hidden. And there is ZERO implication which world has them or which board. So if you are missing some, you pretty much have to visit EVERY board on EVERY world and search everwhere.

And sometimes you they are not simply 'hidden'. Sometimes you may have to spray a wall in a weird place or common place and 'viola!' you found one.

If it just told you that this level has a coin you haven't found, I'd be cool with that. But I cannot imagine anyone dedicated enough to search every board on every world and try everthing in hopes to get a coin.

And this game kicks your butt! Some of those Red Coin boards are TOUGH! However, the final boss is EASY. And there was a frame rate drops on it, unusual for a Nintendo made GC game.

I'd pay no more than $12 for it personally. But you will have fun!

flazzle

Actually, there is a list that tells you the blue coins you have collected in each world and being there a total of 30 per world, you can easily know where to look them for. You can see this list by pressing Z.

In the other hand, I really recommend you Sunshine if you like Mario games, I found it great, regardless of the general opinion of the game.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
It's a great game. It gets a bad rep because it has a vacation/island theme rather then your more traditional Mario theme. The graphics aren't quite as good as SMG but the platforming can be just as fun. However, this game is harder then SMG so be prepared to want to throw your controller at the screen every once and a while.
theman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 theman64
Member since 2007 • 1269 Posts
In my opinion, you should definitely go for it. It's a fantastic game, but it's quite different from past Mario platformers. Although some people may not have liked the new "tropical" theme, I thought it was a nice change of pace and I appreciated the new ideas. Some portions of the game were admittedly lame, but overall it's worth a buy. ;)
Senor_T_Dub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Senor_T_Dub
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine is an excellent platformers with a lot of fun missions. The negative press comes from the fact that Sunshine didn't redefine the genre like Mario 64 did. In general there is nothing wrong with Sunshine, it just suffers from being the follow-up to one of the greatest games ever made.
bruno_fmenedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 2

#14 bruno_fmenedes
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine has a great amount of fun moments & the water-based-mechanics are cool, but lacks in variety & polish.

If you like platformers, play Psychonauts, it's better than Sunshine.

But what other types of games do you like? If you like action-adventure games and haven't played Resident Evil 4 before, I sugest you buy the Wii Edition. It's one of the best action-adventures of all time, and 30 bucks is really cheap considering the amount of lasting appeal the game has.

DrachulaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 DrachulaX
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts
Sunshine is a very good investment, especially if you love great platforming games. It's not as good as Galaxy, but it is better than SM64
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
I think you should buy it, it's definitely worth it. one of the greatest GC games that shouldn't be missed.
mariofan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 mariofan22
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I was the guy who tried to get every blue coin, every "Shine Sprite" - and the game can really be fun at times. The graphics are gorgeous, and though those big Pianta people are annoying as hell, it's still a great game.

However... if you're funds are limited? I'd use it on something else. Sunshine's a great game... only because it's a Mario game. If there was another character in there, I don't think any of us would've enjoyed it.

The_Real_Riku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Real_Riku
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
I say it's definitely worth a try, but it's nowhere near as good as SMG or SM64....