lifepawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lifepawn
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Last week (4/16/07-4/20/07) I decided to visit the local retailers and check out their used GBA selections, while also keeping an eye out for the TMNT game. I also have a mental list of about ten other games I'd buy new if I saw them, but consider that unlikely due to how old they are. I thought I'd share my findings to show why I believe the GBA is dead.

The stores aren't listed in the order I visited them. Also I refer to "interesting games" which for me is mostly strategy RPGs, side-scrollers (castle, metroid, sonic, mario, etc), and puzzle games.

GameStop - Prudential Center, Boston, MA

They had about two dozen used GBA games and about the same number of new games. No interesting new games and only a few interesting used games. I didn't notice any GBA SP's for sale when I looked. I didn't ask though to confirm. The fact they didn't have them out like other systems says enough.

Strawberries - Downtown Center, Boston, MA

Dozens of new games and used games, but mostly due to multiple copies of the same games. The impression I got was the same as I got from other places. It seemed like leftovers they were waiting to run out of and weren't ordering any new stock/games. I didn't even look for new GBA SP's, but knowing the store I'd say its 50/50 shot they have one or two.

EBX - Copley Plaza, Boston, MA

No longer there. Moving on...

Newbury Comics - City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA

I didn't see any GBA games for sale. But even when GBA was current system they only carried a small number of games. No GBA SP's for sale.

Target - Cambridge, MA

They had a bunch of new games and a few GBA SP's for sale. Nothing that really interested me though. 

KB Toys - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had six games, which they keep underneath the counter where nobody can see them. All Spongebob and Barbie. No GBA SP's for sale, but I didn't see other systems either really.

Sears - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had a few dozen games. Nothing much interesting, but their "leftover" games were different than what other stores had so I'm glad I checked. No GBA SP's for sale.

EB Games - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had about a dozen new games (but again mostly unpopular older games), and a couple dozen used games. They only had used GBA SP's for sale and didn't know when/if they'd get any new ones again.

Best Buy - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had a few dozen new games. The only retailer to have the TMNT game (more than ten copies even). No GBA SP's for sale, but they recently re-opened after months due to water pipe damage and were low on stock for other systems as well.

Other notes:

I didn't see any Castlevania or Metroid games.

I saw very few RPG games.

I saw very few Super Mario games.

I saw only one Wario game (Twisted, new).

Every store had Pokemon games.

Out of the games on this site that have 9.0 or higher (15 of them) I only saw one copy of four different ones available.

I saw no Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

Only two places had any Final Fantasy's (VI if I recall correctly).

That's it. The overall impression I got was the stores are pushing the GBA games into corners to make room for DS and such on the more obvious shelves and that they stopped ordering new games a while back or at least didn't order many. The almost complete lack of highly rated or popular games as new or used was kind of sad.

Even if the GBA is dead, which is still up for debate of course, its not ever going to be obsolete in my eyes anyways. 2d games never get old and I prefer simpler graphics on a handheld screen size. These are the ones I picked up in my travels, in case your still reading this and curious.

TMNT

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Golden Sun 2

Namco Museum

black_steel_4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 black_steel_4u
Member since 2006 • 904 Posts
i live in a small town and pepel still get gba games.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
The GBA isn t really "dead" but it s dying. Too bad, it was a great system while it lasted.
i-likecookies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 i-likecookies
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I still play pokemon games but on my psp. Put alot of hours in this system... it had a good run.

-zonkey-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -zonkey-
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts

I still play pokemon games but on my psp. Put alot of hours in this system... it had a good run.

oo i wish i could do that... damn firmware...

o and ur post was very depressing TC 

i-likecookies
gigabrowser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 gigabrowser12
Member since 2006 • 1647 Posts

i-likecookies
PSP? ???? Plagerised???
demonic_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 demonic_bunny
Member since 2005 • 387 Posts
My local Gamestop still has a crapload but yea, GBA is dying, but just because stores are beginning to stop supporting it, doesn't mean you have to stop supporting it. Order online, scour bargain bins, play on. Its thats simple.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
The GBA has outsold the PS3 two months in a row. It still has some kick in it.
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
not really I live in Rhode Island and I see a bunch of GBA games like Final Fantasy, Super mario, zelda, metriod, RPG's etc but however its slowly dying. some of the newer games arent at the Gamestop across from EB Games
Ardain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ardain
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Wait for E3 Nintendo will unvail the next Gameboy that should be as powerful as a gamecube. Nintendo said that the DS is not the replacement for the gameboy advance. They will unvail it this year at E3 or at E for all Expo...... yes that is a gameing convention that i did not made up.
SamXVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SamXVII
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts

The GBA isn t really "dead" but it s dying. Too bad, it was a great system while it lasted.Setsa

I'm pretty sure it's just about as commercially dead as it's ever going to get. There's not much left to disappear from shelves, and what's still there is largely crap.

cla1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cla1968
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts
FYI, the GBA is not even close to being dead, if the latest sales figures are any indication. Here is the breakdown, the DS was first, followed by the PS2, the Wii, the 360, & the GBA. The PS3 was last, so believe or not, the GBA sold more than the PS3. Think about it, the little old GBA, with it's 8 year old technology, sold more than the the mighty PS3, with the latest technology.
toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
The gba is practically "dead" but I know the couple Gamestops in my town still sell a crapload of gba games. Of course, most of them aren't good games. I can't find any of the old Zelda games for gameboy color or the first fire emblem game for gba. I don't see SP in stores anymore, but I know Gamestop does sell used gba's. The problem I have finding for my SP isn't games, but those rechargeable batteries(which I hear, you can only order from Nintendo). The SP batteries are expensive on nintendo.com and why weren't the SP batteries ever sold in public electronic stores?
sorpotel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sorpotel
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts

Last week (4/16/07-4/20/07) I decided to visit the local retailers and check out their used GBA selections, while also keeping an eye out for the TMNT game. I also have a mental list of about ten other games I'd buy new if I saw them, but consider that unlikely due to how old they are. I thought I'd share my findings to show why I believe the GBA is dead.

The stores aren't listed in the order I visited them. Also I refer to "interesting games" which for me is mostly strategy RPGs, side-scrollers (castle, metroid, sonic, mario, etc), and puzzle games.

GameStop - Prudential Center, Boston, MA

They had about two dozen used GBA games and about the same number of new games. No interesting new games and only a few interesting used games. I didn't notice any GBA SP's for sale when I looked. I didn't ask though to confirm. The fact they didn't have them out like other systems says enough.

Strawberries - Downtown Center, Boston, MA

Dozens of new games and used games, but mostly due to multiple copies of the same games. The impression I got was the same as I got from other places. It seemed like leftovers they were waiting to run out of and weren't ordering any new stock/games. I didn't even look for new GBA SP's, but knowing the store I'd say its 50/50 shot they have one or two.

EBX - Copley Plaza, Boston, MA

No longer there. Moving on...

Newbury Comics - City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA

I didn't see any GBA games for sale. But even when GBA was current system they only carried a small number of games. No GBA SP's for sale.

Target - Cambridge, MA

They had a bunch of new games and a few GBA SP's for sale. Nothing that really interested me though. 

KB Toys - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had six games, which they keep underneath the counter where nobody can see them. All Spongebob and Barbie. No GBA SP's for sale, but I didn't see other systems either really.

Sears - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had a few dozen games. Nothing much interesting, but their "leftover" games were different than what other stores had so I'm glad I checked. No GBA SP's for sale.

EB Games - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had about a dozen new games (but again mostly unpopular older games), and a couple dozen used games. They only had used GBA SP's for sale and didn't know when/if they'd get any new ones again.

Best Buy - Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA

They had a few dozen new games. The only retailer to have the TMNT game (more than ten copies even). No GBA SP's for sale, but they recently re-opened after months due to water pipe damage and were low on stock for other systems as well.

Other notes:

I didn't see any Castlevania or Metroid games.

I saw very few RPG games.

I saw very few Super Mario games.

I saw only one Wario game (Twisted, new).

Every store had Pokemon games.

Out of the games on this site that have 9.0 or higher (15 of them) I only saw one copy of four different ones available.

I saw no Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

Only two places had any Final Fantasy's (VI if I recall correctly).

That's it. The overall impression I got was the stores are pushing the GBA games into corners to make room for DS and such on the more obvious shelves and that they stopped ordering new games a while back or at least didn't order many. The almost complete lack of highly rated or popular games as new or used was kind of sad.

Even if the GBA is dead, which is still up for debate of course, its not ever going to be obsolete in my eyes anyways. 2d games never get old and I prefer simpler graphics on a handheld screen size. These are the ones I picked up in my travels, in case your still reading this and curious.

TMNT

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Golden Sun 2

Namco Museum

lifepawn
all those who think it is dead should stay out of the gba board instead of clogging it with such messages 
miniduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 miniduck
Member since 2003 • 1063 Posts
You were able to get Golden Sun 2. Sounds like a successful trip to me.
Bones15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bones15
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
yea its sad to see that.....looks like DS is the new things or the psp.
gaurav_india

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gaurav_india
I live in India and here GBA is alive and kicking as nintendo and sony dont market their new consoles here, (darnn) in some markets you can get GBA games (pirated) for $5! Otherwise you can get a good selection of original games too. It must be dead in the US.
Roxas-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Roxas-Master
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
Ya I only see used gba's wherever i go. altho i already have one, its still funny.
Egei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Egei
Member since 2006 • 309 Posts

I would say that the GBA is more getting replaced, as opposed to dying. The system itself was replaced once the DS was able to play GBA games, and the games, while most of them were better than a lot of the DS games out right now, are just slowly starting to fade away, or be turned into DS games. All of the new games are being developed for the DS, because thats what the big craze in handhelds is right now.

Sadly, I will miss the days of the GBA, but atleast over the years that it was out, they gave us some of the greatest RPGs to date, much like the Super Nintendo did. While a lot of the good games are hard to find now, ebay will always be a great place to get those, and I'm sure that the next generation of the DS or Nintendo's next handheld system will be able to play the GBA games, so we'll still be able to enjoy them for years to come. 

jorgeurantia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 jorgeurantia
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Wait for E3 Nintendo will unvail the next Gameboy that should be as powerful as a gamecube. Nintendo said that the DS is not the replacement for the gameboy advance. They will unvail it this year at E3 or at E for all Expo...... yes that is a gameing convention that i did not made up.Ardain

Yes I remember that, too.

Buty will it become a reality? I hope so.

A portable device with a GC power looks great.

Nice topic anyway.

Bye. 

Avatar image for Nintendogamer33
Nintendogamer33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nintendogamer33
Member since 2004 • 1285 Posts

GBA isn't dead. It's still selling well, it's still produced, and it has good third-party support. Plus, I see new GBA SP's everytime I go to Toy's R Us, EB Games, Wal-Mart, Zellers, and Best Buy along with 30+ GBA games in each store.

GBA isn't dead people.

migulic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 migulic
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
Here (Antwerp, Belgium) I haven't seen new GBA SP's for 4-5 months now. Last time I saw one was before Christmas. The only GBA I saw this year was a single GB Micro at a toy store. When it comes to games, however, most stores still carry them in quite large amounts. Those good games are still pretty common: Mario Kart, SMB 3, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LeafGreen (dunno why I can't find FireRed anywhere), Final Fantasy IV and V, Metroid Fusion, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis. I also picked up the original WarioWare for 10 euros a few weeks ago. So here the GBA is dead, but the GBA games aren't dead at all.
Roxas-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Roxas-Master

Here (Antwerp, Belgium) I haven't seen new GBA SP's for 4-5 months now. Last time I saw one was before Christmas. The only GBA I saw this year was a single GB Micro at a toy store. When it comes to games, however, most stores still carry them in quite large amounts. Those good games are still pretty common: Mario Kart, SMB 3, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LeafGreen (dunno why I can't find FireRed anywhere), Final Fantasy IV and V, Metroid Fusion, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis. I also picked up the original WarioWare for 10 euros a few weeks ago. So here the GBA is dead, but the GBA games aren't dead at all.migulic

I've noticed that too. They have alot of gba games at the local EB Games 

Nintendogamer33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nintendogamer33
But officially, the GBA's not dead.
cjfuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cjfuka
Member since 2003 • 340 Posts
I just sold my X-box360 and got a Gameboy Advance instead :)
Roxas-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Roxas-Master

I just sold my X-box360 and got a Gameboy Advance instead :)cjfuka

Kind of an odd trade, but ok.

T-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 T-Prime
Member since 2003 • 995 Posts

Retailers are pushing GBA out to make room for the DS? Welcome to 2005.

Nintendogamer33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nintendogamer33
^Not really. Every gamer store I go to, they have at least 40 GBA games.
Civicster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Civicster
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Well I think the GBA is slowly dying, but recently it has gone a bit more alive, my friends and I started to bring in Nintendo gameboys and stuff, played the heck out, traded games, sold / bought gameboy advances / sps, and yep! Recently I have seen much more people trading micros for SPs or buying SPs or Advances for from 40$-80$!

I would sure like it if they would start selling them gameboy sps again, I'd like to buy ANOTHER sp for myself, because I currently have an original sp, and I want the backlight sp, as it shows more colour.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

Well I think the GBA is slowly dying, but recently it has gone a bit more alive, my friends and I started to bring in Nintendo gameboys and stuff, played the heck out, traded games, sold / bought gameboy advances / sps, and yep! Recently I have seen much more people trading micros for SPs or buying SPs or Advances for from 40$-80$!

I would sure like it if they would start selling them gameboy sps again, I'd like to buy ANOTHER sp for myself, because I currently have an original sp, and I want the backlight sp, as it shows more colour.

Civicster

they still sell them

LianeCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LianeCartman

I agree I think GBA is just about dead to retailers. There are 2 Gamestops in my town I go to the one near my house. This past week when I went into Gamestop I noticed they had moved the GBA used game display case. I did not see it so I thought they no longer had. I went back to the same store at the end of the week. They had moved the GBA display case to the other end of the store. They had around 60 used GBA games. None of which I wanted. Also, when I look at the video game section at Wal-Mart they don't have a very good selection of GBA games. I did manage to find Super Mario World & Super Mario Bros 3. though.

I hate to see the GBA games dying out because it seems like the only Nintendo system (or any video game system) that uses the good reliable cartridge is the Nintendo DS. One thing I hate about the game discs is that if it gets scratched or dusty the game is mesed up. Game cartridges are the ones I prefer.  

Just my two cents.  

skye144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skye144
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts
yikes sound bad my local EB has about 35 used gba games and a shelf of new ones. Everytime I go there The same games are there and nobody buys them. When I buy a game from the little glass cabinent of gba games and ps2 memory cards they look at me like "what a loser he dosent buy this sweet preorder of lair for the ps3" . Yup thats my experience at the local Eb
mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts

not really I live in Rhode Island and I see a bunch of GBA games like Final Fantasy, Super mario, zelda, metriod, RPG's etc but however its slowly dying. some of the newer games arent at the Gamestop across from EB Games trick6952

you're actually very lucky because i've been meaning to rebuy metroid games, but none of the gamestop/EB have them where i am. 

razman55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 razman55
Member since 2003 • 3507 Posts

I know, I hate when there are no games they have for sale (I man good ones).

Last weekend, I randomly felt like going to EB to see what they might have, and I got Pokemon Leaf Green and I bet they must of been laughing or something because my age but so far it is entertaining me thoroughly, I find that the Pokemon games are great RPG's to entertain you.

And then I even bought Castlevania Double Pack, and omg was I shocked to see them have one. So I got both of those incredible castlevania games now.

So I thought it was a great day for me. Hopefully if I go there again sometime I can find some more great games.

kornopolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kornopolis
Member since 2007 • 66 Posts

It shouldnt be dead its outselling PS3

weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts
I live in Milwaukee, there are 4 Gamestops close to my house. I can go to any one of them and find good RPGs and side scollers.:D
mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts

I live in Milwaukee, there are 4 Gamestops close to my house. I can go to any one of them and find good RPGs and side scollers.:Dweltall1028

rofl-cakes.  that seems like overkill, but i'd imagine you have an easier time getting access to new game consoles when they come out LOL.

about topic: Fry's still seems to have a hefty collection of GBA games, albeit games that cater to the younger demographic...but there's also still a few i've been meaning to pick up......

ludadav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38 ludadav
Member since 2005 • 1485 Posts
Wal-Mart usually have a great selection of games